Understanding Love

What it Means to Love

            “What is my favorite class?”

            Yongguk rolled his eyes. “Obviously it is Music Class. Seriously, how long are you going to keep asking me these questions?”

            Zelo pouted as he leaned into the car seat. “You know all this information about me, yet even a week into being friends isn’t long enough for you to tell me anything about you?”

            “I just don’t see why you need to know.” Yongguk looked out the window at the cloud covered sky. It was cloudy he had been able to walk around outside without an umbrella and now that the sun was starting to go down it would be even easier to be outside if Zelo did weapon training.

            “But Yongguk, this is how you create relationships, trusting people with information and talking about shared hobbies. Isn’t there something—anything you can share with me?”

            “Yes.”

            “Really?” Zelo leaned forward in excitement. “What is it?”

            “We made it home.” Yongguk said as they passed through the front gates. He tried not to smile as the boy groaned and fell against the seat but eventually he gave into laughter.

            “It’s not funny, Yongguk. Why won’t you at least try…”

            Yongguk’s whole demeanor shifted as he noticed just how sad Zelo was. His smile disappeared and his shoulders dropped and he realized he didn’t like it when Zelo was sad, especially because of him. Yongguk sighed. “I’ll answer one question.”

            “Really?”

            “Yes, but you better make it quick since we are almost at the house.”

            “What’s your favorite color?” Zelo spit out.

            Yongguk blinked. “Out of all the things you could have asked, you just want to know my favorite color?”

            Zelo nodded. “I really want to know.”

            “Red and black.”

            Zelo smiled. “Seriously?”

            “Why would I lie about my favorite colors? Yes, seriously.”

            Zelo laughed. “Fitting for a vampire aren’t they?”

            Yongguk sat there in silence as he thought about it. “I didn’t even realize…”

            “We’re here.” Himchan said as he stopped the car.

            Yongguk opened his door in order to open Zelo’s but the teen was already out and running inside.

            “Zelo, where are you going?” Yongguk frowned.

            “I have things to do before I start king training!” Zelo called out as he skipped stairs on his way up.       

            Yongguk rolled his eyes and started getting out of the limo.

            “Oh, Yongguk, could you talk to me for a minute?” Himchan asked.

            Yongguk hesitated and looked up at the building, a castle by all meanings. “Yeah, Zelo will be fine.”

            Once Yongguk shut the door, Himchan began driving the limo back to the garage.

                “So, I couldn’t help but notice that you gave into the Prince so easily there.” Himchan remarked.

                Yongguk quirked an eyebrow. “I may have, is there anything wrong with being nice to the prince?”

                “No, but you don’t do it often. 6 months and this is the first time you have finally admitted something personal about yourself.”

                “It wasn’t even that personal.” Yongguk scoffed.

                “But you said you would have answered something more invasive.” Himchan stared at Yongguk through the mirror but Yongguk wasn’t reacting so he sighed. “All I’m saying is, for someone who doesn’t love people, or care much for others, you certainly care for our prince quite a bit.”

                Yongguk glared. “I don’t see it.”

                Himchan laughed as he parked the car. “Yongguk you are his bodyguard, not his tutor or his caretaker, yet you still help him study, makes sure he eats, and tucks him into bed at night when he falls asleep on top of his homework. Obviously you care.”

                Yongguk laughed. “I don’t know what you are talking about. If I’m doing anything extra then it’s just so that I’m not bored out of my mind.”

                Himchan frowned. “It’s disheartening to hear you say that.”

                “I’m sure it is but, it’s the truth. The kid can try to teach me about love all he wants but I don’t see this going anywhere. Now if you’ll excuse me.”

                Yongguk opened the door and immediately went rigid. ‘Something doesn’t feel right.’

                “Yongguk! Yongguk help!”

                Yongguk was out of the car and running towards the voice. “Jongup, what’s wrong?”

                The gardener, whom Yongguk had never seen without a smile, had a worried expression—no terrified expression. “They took Zelo!”

                Yongguk’s body seemed to work in overdrive once the words sunk in. “Who took him?!”

                Jongup panted out of breath. “Vampires… vampires came and waited for Zelo to get back from cram school. We were all locked up in rooms but I was able to finally escape and I saw them carrying Zelo off into the forest.”

                Yongguk gripped the gardener’s shoulders in an almost bone-breaking grip. “How many of them are there and which way did they go, Jongup?”

                “Five of them and they went that way!” Jongup pointed.

                “Alright, listen to me.” Yongguk said seriously. “You need to free everyone else, the guards first if you can and point them in the right direction. I’m going to try catching up and stopping them from taking Zelo to their base, understand?”

                Jongup nodded and it was good enough for Yongguk. He started running at top speed in the direction Jongup pointed. Yongguk threw his jacket on the ground and loosened his tie and ed the buttons on his sleeves. For this fight Yongguk would need any advantage he could get, especially since he knew that drinking old blood wasn’t giving him as much strength as fresh blood would. It didn’t take long for Yongguk to catch up and when he did he was surprised at what he saw.

                “What are you doing here?” Yongguk slowed to a walk as he approached members of his old vampire family who had apparently survived the night when Zelo had rescued Yongguk.

                “Came back for you, brother.” The oldest of the five walked towards Yongguk. He wore leather in stereotypical vampiric fashion along with his long bleached blonde hair. “You couldn’t leave you in the employment of this…. This child.”

                “If you came to get me then you would have come for me, not for him.” Yongguk spared a glance at Zelo to make sure he was alright. Zelo was on his knees with his arms tied behind him with rope. The sight of a bruise on his cheek sent a rage of fire through Yongguk’s body.

                “A means to an end.” He shrugged.

                “Cut the crap, Ellic.” Yongguk glared. “If I didn’t have a reason to be with him I wouldn’t be. Now, what are you here for?”          

                “The Kingdom.”

                “Xlylm.” The leader, Ellic, glared at the younger vampire.

              “You honestly think that I would help you try to overthrow the King and what… bring around a country of darkness?”

                “We have been fighting against our own extinction!” Ellic screamed.

                “An extinction that was our ancestors fault.” Yongguk growled. “Our master was the type of vampire that made humans hate us.”

                “So, you won’t help us kill the King and his successor?” Ellic asked, trying to seem calm.

                Yongguk’s eyes unconsciously flicked to Zelo. “No.”

                Ellic sighed, bringing on the dramatics. “Then we’ll have to kill you too. Unlike the prince here who we want to kill in front of an audience to strike fear into the public, you we will kill you now.”

                “You can try.”

                A vampire leapt out at Yongguk from a tree while another rushed him from the side.

                ‘Guess it’s a good thing I have this damn thing with me.’ Yongguk pulled out his gun and stepped back, firing at the vampire in the air while dodging the one on the ground. The bullet hit the vampire’s heart and destroyed it since the bullet was designed to mangle whatever it came in contact with.

                “Yongguk!” Zelo called out a warning.

                Yongguk ran to the left and dodged a vampire coming from behind him. He ducked and a vampire tripped over him. Yongguk turned and fired before his old family member could stand again.

                “How dare you attack us like this!” Ellic yelled. “We are family! You should be listening to me since I’m a higher rank than you in our blood line.”

                “I never pledged loyalty to you; only to our maker and that was because I was forced to.” Yongguk barely dodged a swipe of a knife. Yongguk had to drop his gun as he began exchanging blows with the vampire in front of him.

                “And apparently to this human.” Ellic stared at Zelo in disgust.

                “He saved my life.” Yongguk grunted as he punched in the back of the head, forgetting about the last lackey.

                “Wouldn’t have needed saving if you weren’t such a pansy.” Xlylm spit on Yongguk. There was no time for Yongguk to get up before kicks rained upon him.

                “Yongguk!” Zelo shouted in worry.

                ‘I know.’ Yongguk gritted his teeth.

                Leaving himself open, Yongguk grabbed a foot aimed at his face and twisted, breaking the vampire’s foot. He was stunned by another kick to his head, but he tried to work through it like he had been trained to do. He rolled around to grab Xlylm’s leg and sit up quickly to punch him in the junk. Not even vampires are immune to that pain, so in no time Xlylm fell to the ground while Yongguk grabbed his knife off of him. Yongguk didn’t hesitate as he brought the knife down into his heart and then turned it, destroying the heart beyond a vampire’s healing ability.

                “Bastard!” Yongguk was kicked on his side and went rolling, landing on his face.

                Yongguk coughed from the lack of oxygen after the kick. He had hoped the broken ankle would slow down the other vampire but that looked like it wouldn’t be the case. Yongguk rolled onto his back and he stilled.

                The vampire smirked. “You shouldn’t drop such a dangerous toy.”

                Yongguk gulped as he looked up at the barrel of his gun. There was nothing he could do and he knew this would be the end. A sense of déjà vu came over him and he looked at Zelo. The prince was looking at him in fear but unable to do anything.

                ‘I can’t die here. Zelo needs me.’ Yongguk looked back up with new confidence but no new strategy.

                “Any last words?”

                Yongguk smirked. “Yeah, there are soldiers to your right.”

                The vampire swiveled his head to look and Yongguk used the opportunity to roll away from the gun. They began to throw punches as the vampire screamed in frustration. Yongguk was starting to tire though, perhaps from the bleeding wounds he had acquired combined with the weak blood in his system.

                To him, it was a godsend when he heard Daehyun shout his name. It was nice to hear that help was on its way but, that meant Ellic would have to take action. Yongguk cursed as the older vampire picked up Zelo and started running away.

                “No, Yongguk!” Zelo struggled against Ellic.

                “I have no time for you.” Yongguk growled before landing a good punch to the head. In the vampire’s daze, Yongguk kneed him in the groin and left him whimpering on the ground for Daehyun to deal with so that he could go after Zelo. He grabbed his gun first though, hoping that it would be of some use.

                “What will you do now, Ellic?” Yongguk said as he chased him. “All your followers are dead.”

                “I can make more!”

                “I’m sure they will be as stupid as our family members I just killed.” Yongguk gained hope as he seemed to be catching up.

                “You make it seem like I cared for them! They were pawns to me, unlike this boy to you!”

                Ellic stopped abruptly and Yongguk knew that he had to take a shot now. If he didn’t kill Ellic now, then he would use Zelo was a shield to get away, a threat Yongguk wasn’t willing to risk.

                Yongguk stopped and fired, taking only the minimal amount of time to take aim. Ellic screamed and Yongguk knew he hit him. Not in the heart, but enough for him to drop Zelo. Yongguk ran as fast as he could to cover the remaining distance. There were no words exchanged, no allowance of last words, and no time for Ellic to plead for mercy, before Yongguk fired a bullet into his chest.

                “Is he…”

                “Yeah, he’s dead.” Yongguk pocketed the gun before kneeling beside Zelo and releasing the human from his bindings. “Are you okay?”

                Zelo nodded. “I only got hit once, the rest are just scratches from running or falling.”

                Yongguk touched Zelo’s cheek softly as he looked at the darkening bruise. “Come on, let’s get you to Youngjae. I’m sure he is dying of worry and will want to give you a check-up.”

                “Right…” Zelo sighed sadly.

                Yongguk didn’t have time to question it though as Daehyun appeared on top of the hill and waved at them.

                From there they rushed back to the castle so Zelo could be looked at be Youngjae. Yongguk went and talked to the guards wanting to know where exactly things had gone wrong. The guards on duty got a heavy scolding and were yelled at for a good ten minutes by Yongguk about drinking on the job. The leaders of security didn’t step in even when the guards looked at them for help, satisfied with Yongguk’s lecture.

                “I will be training you all from now on.” Yongguk growled out, still wearing his dirty and blood covered suit. “And if I EVER catch you slacking on the job like this again I will assume that means you want me to drink you for breakfast.”

                “But the King—“

                “Do you think he would care if I killed the men responsible for his son’s kidnapping?” Yongguk glared at the soldier who had dared to talk back.

                The guard only whimpered in reply.

                “That’s what I thought.” Yongguk glared at the lazy guards one last time before walking out of the room and slamming the door shut.

                “Fancy speech.” Jiho said leaning on the wall beside the wall.

                “Save it.” Yongguk stopped Jiho from continuing. “I’m not in the mood.”

                His mind was a mess with thoughts and he really needed to drink some blood to speed up his healing process, but he couldn’t stop his feet from leading him to Zelo’s room. He knocked on the door without having time to process his actions.

                Hearing nothing in reply, Yongguk took a deep breath. He decided to walk in anyhow and noticed the door to the balcony open.

                “Zelo?”

                “I’m out here!”

                Yongguk had already been on his way. He let out the breath he had been holding once he saw the prince looking out over garden, in casual clothes, looking in perfect health, besides the bruise on his cheek.

                “What do you want, Yongguk?”

                Yongguk was taken aback by the coldness in Zelo’s voice. “I… I came to see how you were doing?”

                Zelo turned around confused. “That sounded like a question.”

                “I’m not actually sure why I’m here, but I think I wanted to make sure you were alright. And ummm… it looks like you were excused from your country ruling lessons.”

                Zelo laughed. “Yeah, it seems getting kidnapped allows me to skip lessons for the day.”

                “Well, I’m glad you will be get to rest early for once.”

                They both looked at each other awkwardly as the silence hung in the air. Not used to being the one trying to make conversation, Yongguk decided it wouldn’t be best just to leave the prince alone until he wanted to talk again.

                “I’ll be going then.” Yongguk turned around.

                “Just like that?”

                “What do you mean?” Yongguk asked.

                Zelo looked down sadly. “That’s all you are going to say as a goodbye?”

                Yongguk scrunched his eyebrows in confusion and pointed to the room next door. “I’m just right there though.”

                “But you saved my life. Aren’t you leaving for good?”

                “No.”

                “No?” Zelo looked up surprised. “What do you mean?”

                Yongguk was stunned by his own answer. He had been waiting for this day for weeks—months, practically since he had started this job. His thoughts were running a mile a minute in his head as he thought over what was going on.

                “Yongguk?” Zelo walked over and grabbed his hands. “Aren’t you bored here?”

                “God, yes.” Yongguk groaned. “But…”

                “But?”

                Yongguk sighed as all his thoughts when made him realize that during the whole fight he hadn’t even thought about how he had finally been allowed to alleviate his boredom. It hadn’t been on his mind at all. He had only been able to think of Zelo.

                “I’d rather be bored than leave and allow you to get hurt.”

                “Don’t lie.” Zelo frowned. “We promised not to lie.”

                Yongguk chuckled. “I’ve never lied to you Zelo and I don’t plan on it ever. If you let me I would like to stay here with you, the only person I seem to give two s about on this planet besides myself.”

                Zelo smiled. “You promise?”

                “How many times do I have to say this? Yes, I promise I’m staying.”

                “No.” Zelo laughed. “You care for me?”

                Yongguk groaned. “Of course that’s what you want to hear… yes I seem… to care about you… a little… enough I don’t want you to die.”

                “Good enough for now.” Zelo hugged Yongguk who stilled in surprise. Eventually he patted Zelo’s back. “I knew I could teach you about love.”

                “Yongguk… you smell.”

                “Brat.” Yongguk chuckled. “I haven’t had time to shower or change.”

                “Ick… Now I need to shower again.” Zelo looked down at himself. “You should go shower too and then come back so we can exchange more information about each other!”

                “Zel—“ Yongguk groaned in defeat as the boy was running towards his shower. There was nothing else for him to do but hop from Zelo’s balcony to his own so he could take a shower and do as Zelo asked.

                ‘At least the boredom will be more tolerable now… right? Now that I know I actually want to protect him?’ Yongguk looked at himself in the mirror as he looked himself over, curious about his changed self. ‘Will he become one of my loves?’

                Yongguk groaned. “I’m not going to think that far ahead. I just gained a friend and I’m already curious about finding love? Maybe I should leave before I completely change.”

                He didn’t though; he couldn’t. Instead, Yongguk cleaned himself up and got into comfortable clothes before drinking an evening meal and heading up to Zelo’s room where he found himself telling his human about how he lived as a child until they fell asleep in each other’s arms. 


A/N: I am so sleepy. I kind of edited and it makes sense to my foggy mind 

but I'll look over it again tomorrow. 

I hope you were able to enjoy this story ^_^