Dreaming of the Past

What it Means to Love

                Yongguk had a bad feeling. Being a vampire didn’t make him a psychic nor did it make him super sensitive to things, it was just a thing Yongguk held onto from when he was human. He had amazing intuition and had learned to listen to it. The only reason why he was out tonight was because if he hadn’t followed his maker and other ‘family’ out then they probably would have beat him. Yongguk didn’t understand the need to have a huge crowd around you when out in public but for some reason the bigger his posse the happier Yongguk’s maker was.

                Intuition was a funny thing though because as nervous as Yongguk was there was also a part of him that felt like everything was going to be okay. All he could was hope that the growing feeling of dread would leave him soon.

                “I’m bored.” Yongguk’s master called out.

                Yongguk kept his poker face up but inside the terror rose significantly. Not for himself but for any human they happened to pass by at the time of night. If they were lucky or put up a good enough fight without hurting the master’s face then the human might be turned, like Yongguk had been, drained of practically all blood and then have it replaced by the vampire’s blood. If the human wasn’t lucky they would probably die, all their blood away and body beaten beyond recognition. A turning wasn’t common , considering Yongguk had been a vampire for 50 years yet was the most recently turned in this family. To Yongguk this seemed a long time, but he was told by some of the older ones that he was still but a child and the turning before him by their master was over 100 years before him.

                Whoops and hollers left the mouths of Yongguk’s family, agreeing with the master’s sentiment. Yongguk hummed along so attention wouldn’t be focused on him. If he was the odd one out again then it was most certain he would die…again.

                “What should we look for this time?” Someone called from the back.

                ‘As if you don’t know already.’ Yongguk refrained from rolling his eyes. ‘Adult, dark hair—‘

                “Let’s go with that one, shall we? It’s been so long since I’ve heard a proper cry.”

                There in the park was a little boy, no older than 8, rocking on the swing set. Yongguk was left behind in shock over the choice of the hour as everyone followed the deranged vampire master into the park.

                “W—wh—what do you want?”

                The small frightened voice broke Yongguk out of his daze. He watched as the vampires encircled the little child and the truly evil began to laugh. Yongguk’s eyes flicked over the oldest in the family and saw them looking away, not willing to intervene but still feeling horrible.

                “We are going to play a game.”

                Not even a second passed after those words before Yongguk was jumping over the ring of vampires. He grabbed his master’s wrist as it outstretched towards the frightened boy.

                “Is hurting a child actually fun for you?”

                The master vampire’s turned to Yongguk, his eyes darker than the night and his lips brought up in a snarl showing off his yellowing canines.

                ‘Oh… so this is what my intuition was warning me about… I’m going to die tonight.’  Yongguk thought to himself. Fear overcame him and he knew he would fight tooth and nail to make sure the child escaped but he accepted the fact that tonight would be his last.

                “You dare to stop me?” The vampire hissed out.

                Yongguk released his arm and stood in front of the small boy. “He’s a kid. He’s too weak to have any fun with.”

                “But I think torturing him would be splendid fun.” The master stepped into Yongguk’s face, yet Yongguk didn’t back down. Instead he used a hand to make sure the boy was securely behind him. “Now I must ask you, Yongguk, is this young meat sack worth your life?”

                “I can’t stand by and watch you attack a child.” Yongguk answered honestly. He patted the boy to comfort him as a whimper escaped his lips.

                “Then you’ll take his place.”

                Yongguk took the warning to dodge the punch. He grabbed the kid and jumped over his family in order to get the kid out of harm’s way. Yongguk smoothed his hair down. “Run fast and don’t look back, understand?”

                “Bu—but—“

                “Go!” Yongguk gave him a stern look which sent him running.

                Yongguk stood up and blocked a punch just barely in time. He knew there was no way for him to win, but maybe he could get in a few good punches unlike last time when they had jumped him. It seemed Yongguk’s training every day for the past 50 years had done him well. He silently thanked the elder’s in the group who had shown him the correct way to fight. He knew he was getting lucky because the other had been lazy recently; no one had been challenging his rule or asking to leave the family to start their own so he didn’t need to prove his strength often.

                Yongguk was holding his own against his master and a flower of hope bloomed his chest, that is, until he let instinct take over and he punched the master’s face. His opponent stumbled back and Yongguk hesitated knowing he had just made the biggest error. Yongguk rushed in, trying to keep fighting but the master whistled, and the other vampires swarmed him.

                Within a minute he was on the ground, trying to protect his head, survival instincts coming on without him calling them. All he could do was wait to die. The pain was the worst he had ever felt. His injuries were trying to heal but he kept getting kicked, punched, stepped on, and stabbed. He would have hoped that someone would stick up for him but he knew better than that. Instead, he hoped that someone would destroy his heart or decapitate him, a quicker death than having him bleed out and yearning for blood until someone finally killed him.  

                But then, the beating starts to slow down and Yongguk isn’t sure why. He can see light from behind his eyelids and hazard a look. His eyes widened when he saw human’s shooting at his family. Yongguk touched his ears and when he looked at his fingers he saw blood.

                ‘My hearing…’ Yongguk would have tried directing his healing powers to his head but he didn’t even have the energy to sit up. The pain was getting to be too much when he started to feel his eyes fluttering to a close, but someone started running towards him. Yongguk frowned, not sure who would be coming after him.

                A teenager, Yongguk guessed late teens, with silver hair that shined in the moonlight knelt beside him, his eyes frantic as he examined Yongguk. His lips were moving but Yongguk still couldn’t hear. There was pressure on his arm and he groaned. The teenager looked surprised and Yongguk realized his fangs were probably viewable then.

                Yongguk shut his eyes, ready for the death the teenager would grant him. Instead he smelled blood. Yongguk’s eyes shot open and he stared at the teen who had a now bloody wrist extended towards him. ‘Drink… is he saying drink? Does he know how badly I want to?’

                The teen pressed his wrist to Yongguk’s lips and the last of Yongguk’s hesitation disappeared. He drank. And he drank. The delicious blood flooded his mouth and brought comfort to his body in a way he never knew before he was human. He could feel his body beginning to heal itself and soon sound came back to him. It was so loud all at once that it distracted him from the amazing meal he was having.

                “Hey… can… can you hear me?”

                Yongguk looked up and immediately pushed away the arm he was attached to. “!” He caught the body before he could collapse to the ground.

                ‘I wasn’t dinking that long was I?’ Yongguk examined the human in his arms as he the wound, his saliva would help the boy’s wound heal, and noticed the stab wound on his leg. “…”

                “Prince Zelo!” Humans ran towards Yongguk.

                “Prince?!” Yongguk looked down surprised. “ this, are you serious right now?!”

                Without a second thought Yongguk lifted the prince onto his back. “Which way to the castle—mansion—wherever the hell he lives?”

                Protests broke out amongst the men Yongguk now believed to be bodyguards and he was worried they would try to fight him until one pushed forward and screamed out a location. Yongguk nodded his thanks and began to run. He was slower than normal because he was still healing from injuries, but he was faster than waiting for an ambulance or car to pick them up.

                The next moments went by in a blur for Yongguk who hadn’t worried about anyone else’s wellbeing besides his own in decades. He stayed by Zelo’s side the entire time at his mansion, which was big enough to be called a castle. No one questioned him, but then again none of them knew he was a vampire. The only time his presence was questions was when one of the nurses asked to everyone in the room what the prince’s blood type was and Yongguk was the one to answer. There was a point when they thought they would lose Zelo and Yongguk was the one who started up CPR, one because he was the strongest and it was a way for him to slip the younger some of his blood which helped him heal quicker.

                In no time after the few gulps Yongguk had forced the teen to drink, Zelo was stable and under an hour he woke up. The crowd of medical personal surrounded him but Zelo’s eyes landed on Yongguk.

                “Thank you.” Zelo smiled.

                Yongguk shook his head. “No, thank you. I owe you, my life for you’ve done.”

 

                A blaring alarm sounded. Yongguk groaned, rolling over in his huge bed to grab his phone and turn off the alarm. ‘7am is too early for a vampire to wake up.’

                Yongguk sighed as he looked up at the ceiling as he thought about his dream. ‘It’s been 6 months since then… 6 months since Zelo saved me not only from death but also freed me when he killed my maker. It’s been 6 months since I pledged to pay my debt to Zelo by being his bodyguard.’

                ‘6 months and I’m more bored than a kid in having to attend a tea party.’ Yongguk groaned and turned over in his bed, not yet ready to attend to a high school prince who seemed to have absolutely no enemies. At least in Yongguk’s dreams he got to relive the action of his past.


A/N: wooo~ Hi I'm back with a banglo! OTL this pairing gives me the hardest time I swear...

ANYHOW I was thinking of a two shot but the more I think about it the more it seems too long

so, yeah here is an introduction and hopefully explains a bit how vampires work just to get us started

 

any comments, critics, questions, please let me know!! I want to make sure my stories make sense hahaha

have a nice day/night~