Defining Love

What it Means to Love

                Yongguk’s second alarm went off. He glared at the alarm he had forgotten he had set and turned it off before tossing it towards the end of the huge bed. Begrudgingly, he sat up and a yawn escaped his lips as he stood up. He looked over the room, the dresser he had put his slowly accumulating wardrobe, the attached bathroom that was fit for royalty, which made sense since he lived with royalty, and the paintings on the wall he had picked out himself. ‘At least I’m spending my boredom in a nice place.

                Yongguk headed down to the kitchen, passing by Zelo’s room which was beside his own on the younger’s request. He opened his own mini fridge which the staff kept stocked with blood bags for him. It was one of the compromises that the King made Yongguk agree to when Zelo fought against him to let Yongguk be his bodyguard. All the blood Yongguk drank had to come from a hospital styled blood bag and never from a human unless it was an enemy and Yongguk really needed it. Unfortunately for Yongguk, no one had tried to attack Zelo.

                “I thought someone would try to hurt him already. He’s a prince, isn’t he?” Yongguk grumbled as he put the cup he poured the blood into in the microwave.

                “We live in peaceful times.”

                Yongguk jumped and glared at the butler who was trying his hardest not to chuckle. “How do you do that? You are the only one…”

                The butler shrugged. “Perhaps I have werewolf blood in me, sir.”

                “Perhaps…”

                “How is your blood supply?”

                “I’m… it is good. Thank you…” Yongguk was still awkward with how quickly many of the mansion staff had warmed up to him. The microwave dinged and Yongguk retrieved his cup. “I’ll take this outside.”

                “If that is what you wish.” The butler bowed his head slightly.

                Yongguk walked outside but stayed under the shaded overhang. Zelo had one installed for him so he could continue keeping an eye on Zelo when he was outside. Yongguk stretched as he enjoyed the morning air and took a gulp of his blood.

                A dissatisfied sigh left his lips at the tasteless blood, but it was all he was going to get and it kept him alive so he had to accept it. He looked away from the cup of blood and waved to the guards training.

                “Hey, Yongguk.”

                “Hey, Daehyun, how are things?”

                Daehyun shrugged but the smirk on his lips contradicted his nonchalance. “Pretty good. Still the best at hand-to-hand combat.”

                Yongguk chuckled. “Of course you are. I’ve been helping you train.”

                “You’re a cheater!” Youngjae accused as he ran over to join the conversation.

                “It isn’t against the rules to have a vampire help you train.” Daehyun laughed even as he backed away from the irritated doctor.

                “I’m surprised you fight so well,” Yongguk said. “I never expect doctors to fight.”

                Youngjae scoffed. “I fight because you never know when the castle will be attacked. I need to be prepared in all areas if I am to be useful to our King.”

                Yongguk looked up at the building behind him. “Is this considered a castle? There aren’t any spires anywhere…”

                “You’ve been here 6 months and you didn’t know it was a castle?!” Daehyun busted up laughing. “It’s too huge to be a house.”

                Yongguk rolled his eyes. “All houses are bigger than what I’m used to. When I was a kid—“

                “How about not?” Daehyun groaned. “I don’t need a history lesson.”

                “Whatever.” Yongguk took another huge gulp from his cup.

                “I’ve been meaning to ask,” Youngjae paused making sure Yongguk knew he was talking to him. “I didn’t think vampires could be in the sunlight.”

                “We can’t, not direct sunlight anyhow.” Yongguk answered. “Even being in the shade is a little irritating but it won’t harm me. Summer is the worst though.”

                Youngjae nodded in understanding. “Quite interesting.”

                “Yeah, I’m also weaker during the day because of the sun, but” Yongguk smirked. “I’m still strong enough to kick your asses.”

                The humans laughed.

                “I’m not going to argue with you there.” Daehyun smiled.

                The door from the kitchen opened and out came another guard by the name of Jiho. He quirked an eyebrow when he saw Yongguk. “Still here bat-boy?”

                “I said I would be.” Yongguk said curtly. “Not all vampires break promises and lie, just like how not all humans—“

                Jiho waved him off. “I got you, I got you. , it’s too early for a lecture.”

                “Like I tell you every day,” Yongguk sighed after he finished the rest of his blood. “I’ll be here by Zelo’s side until I’ve fulfilled my debt. Then I’ll be free to live on my own.”

                “On your own?” Youngjae asked in confusion.

                “Yeah, since Zelo killed the vampire that turned me, I don’t belong to anyone. Once the leader of a vampire family dies, the one who made them all, then they don’t have a master they have to listen to.”

                “But… you aren’t going to go find old friends or other vampires?” Daehyun asked just as confused as Youngjae.

                Yongguk was about to answer back but he stopped when he heard his name called. “Sorry boys, looks like Zelo needs me.”

                He was going to clean his cup out but then he heard Zelo shout his name, so he ran up to the third floor as fast as he could.

                “Zelo, what’s wrong?!” He slammed open Zelo’s room and was confused not to see the younger in danger.

                “Yongguk!” Zelo looked at him frantically. “I can’t find my tie clip!”

                His eye twitched in irritation. “You sounded terrified over not having a tie clip?”

                “I have to set the perfect example! If I disobey a school rule, even something simple about the uniform, then it gives everyone reason to be rule breakers.” Zelo ran into the bathroom.

                ‘And here I thought maybe I could have some fun…’ Yongguk groaned, but began looking around the room looking for Zelo’s uniform tie clip. It didn’t take long as he found it under Zelo’s bed. “This it?”

                Zelo ran back into the room with a smile on his face. “Yes! Thank you, Yongguk!”

                “Try not to sound so devastated over a measly clip.”

                Zelo accepted the clip and then looked over Yongguk’s clothes. “Yongguk, you look horrible… you weren’t planning on wearing that out were you? I can help you pick out an outfit if you want.”

                “Umm… what? No… I’m still in my sleeping clothes.” Yongguk looked confused.

                Zelo laughed and pushed Yongguk’s shoulder. “Lighten up! Did you forget about what happened last night? I told you that from then on we would always tell each other the truth since we aren’t going to be friends.”

                “Last—“ Then it came back to him. His vivid memory of the day he met Zelo had made him forget about their meeting the night before.

                Zelo had jumped from his window balcony to Yongguk’s room in order to talk to the vampire about love, a subject that had come up at lunch at school the day before.

                Yongguk smiled amusedly. “So, friends always tell the truth?”

                Zelo shrugged. “We do… now. I’ll show you what it means to love and care for people.”

                Yongguk laughed. “Just because I don’t believe in love doesn’t mean I don’t care about people. I saved that little boy, remember?”

                “That’s different.” Zelo huffed. “You can care about if a person lives or dies but that’s different from caring about a person’s wellbeing and wanting to be with them.”

                “We’ll see… you better get ready if you want to get to school on time.” Yongguk walked out of the room.

                He looked at his phone and realized he had wasted more time than he intended with the prince that morning. He quickly showered and dressed, all the while thinking about his weird relationship with the prince. A vampire being friends with a human wasn’t widely advertised, especially not with the prince. Yongguk didn’t care about having friends either. He preferred to be alone. In his whole time of existence there wasn’t one instance he could think of fondly when he had been with other people. His best memories were those where he was left alone to live the way he saw fit.

                The insistent knocks on his bedroom door reminded him that he still was not yet free to be alone. “Yongguk!”

                Yongguk sighed. He straightened his black suit and made sure his gun was hidden in his coat, why he was required to carry it, he had no idea. He opened his door with a bored expression. “I’m ready Zelo.”

                “Come on!” Zelo smiled and lead the way to the front stairs. “By the way Yongguk my favorite animal is the monkey.”

                “Umm…. Okay?” Yongguk looked at Zelo confused.

                “And I prefer sweet things to spicy things. When I was four I fell off of a swing and broke my arm.” Zelo thought some more before listing off more random facts about himself.

                “Zelo why are you telling me all this?” Yongguk asked as he opened the front door for Zelo.

                “Isn’t it obvious? You could be leaving me at any minute so we need to jumpstart our friendship. I’ll tell you all these things about me and you can tell me facts about yourself.”

                “I’m not sure that’s not friendships work…”

                “Have you ever had a friend?” Zelo asked.

                Yongguk waited to answer until he got inside the limousine that had been waiting for them. “No.”

                “So then how would you know?” Zelo fastened his seatbelt and then the car took off.

                Yongguk frowned and thought about it. In the end he shrugged. “Fine, we’ll do it your way, but I’m still not telling you things about my past and I already know most of the things you are telling me.”

                “Yongguk, we already agreed not to lie.” Zelo frowned. “Just because this isn’t entertaining doesn’t mean it isn’t important.”

                “I’m not lying. I promised I wouldn’t .”

                Zelo examined Yongguk closely. “What’s my favorite number?”

                “7.” Yongguk replied without skipping a beat.

                “Favorite food?”

                “Kimchi.”

                “Favorite color?”

                “Trick question; you like many colors and it depends on the day but looking at your socks I would say today it is either green or grey.” Yongguk smiled at how frustrated Zelo looked.

                “Blood type?”

                Yongguk laughed. “If that is supposed to hardest yet then you’ve obviously forgotten why I’m even here.”

                Zelo scowled. “How do you know so much about me?”

                The driver chuckled. “Prince, I don’t think you’ve noticed just how closely Yongguk pays attention to you, even if he does look bored out of his mind most of the time.”

                “Himchan, you are supposed to be on my side!” Zelo yawned. “I’m going to nap before class, but I’ll be thinking of more questions.”

                “And I’m sure I’ll be able to give you the answers when you wake up.” Yongguk couldn’t help the smile on his lips as he watched the younger swiftly fall unconscious. Yongguk would have called it an amazing talent if he didn’t see just how little Zelo was able to sleep every night.

                Himchan’s sigh caught Yongguk’s attention. “He falls asleep so easily.”

                Yongguk nodded. With a slight turn of the car, Zelo’s body leaned to the side until his head hit Yongguk’s shoulder. Yongguk groaned quietly but he still moved Zelo’s head so that the younger would have a more comfortable position has he laid on him.

                The driver chuckled after a few minutes of silence.

                “What?”

                “And you say you have never loved anyone?”

                Yongguk’s eyes narrowed. “I haven’t and never will.”

                “Never is a strong word.” The Himchan tsked.

                “I don’t believe in love.” Yongguk said. “I don’t see the purpose, the point, or how it could even happen.”

                “Love… love is a complicated thing. Perhaps it is different for everyone and that is why there are so many broken hearts in the world. Perhaps it’s not that you don’t believe in love but that you were hurt so badly that you refuse to love.”

                “I can assure you that from all my memories that I can recall, I’ve never been in love before. And I don’t plan on loving anyone.” Yongguk laughed.

                “No one plans on falling in love.” Himchan smiled.

                Zelo hummed in protest and shifted as he woke up. “Are we there yet?”

                “Arriving now, my prince.” Himchan said.

                Yongguk looked outside and saw that they were indeed close to the building. Zelo took the time to fix his hair and adjust his tie, making sure it was still straight. Yongguk observed the area to make sure nothing looked out of the ordinary.

                “Is this a good place to stop?” Himchan looked at Yongguk in the rearview mirror.

                Yongguk noticed the tree they were under, granting them shade. “Yes, thank you.”

                Yongguk stepped out of the limousine first and looked around as he walked to the other side of the car so he could open the door for Zelo. As soon as Zelo was out of the car and visible students were whispering and saying his name. Zelo waited for Yongguk to open his umbrella and together they walked the rest of the way to the building. This was the most worrisome part for Yongguk since he had to watch everyone and Zelo happened to be very popular, much could have been assumed since he was the prince. Zelo though was also very friendly to everyone and invited people to talk to him whenever they fancied.

                This was the most exciting part of Yongguk’s day.

                His eyes scanned the students who started talking with Zelo and then he looked wider, checking for snipers and anyone who seemed out of place. Every day there was the possibility that someone who attack Zelo in the few minutes it took for them to get inside of the elite high school, but every day they reached the high school without incident.

                And then, just like how Yongguk folded his umbrella once he was inside, Yongguk’s adrenaline high closed in on itself, leaving him to deal with the dullest part of his life.

                Inside the school there wasn’t much for Yongguk to do. For the most part he stayed at the back of class and watched Zelo interact with his classmates and learn. He stood there with the other bodyguards, but even if the others were willingly to talk to a vampire, most weren’t, they had to be quiet while the students studied. Yongguk would listen to the lecture as well if there was new material he hadn’t been taught, plus knowing what Zelo knew was useful for when Zelo asked for help with his homework later.

                Just because Yongguk and the bodyguards were quiet didn’t mean that the students were silent though. Many whispers reached Yongguk’s ears and occasionally he sighed in disapproval. While many topics were brought up, it seemed Zelo was a favorite. Yongguk would keep track of all the students who talked bad behind the prince’s back or bragged to their friends about how friendly Zelo was to them. It wasn’t that they were a danger to the prince but Yongguk knew that they could be potential threats and Zelo would want to know so he didn’t waste time on people.

                Today was a rather quiet day since they had tests in a few of their classes.

                ‘Would someone just attack this boy already?’ Yongguk closed his eyes for a little break. The uneventful months were becoming tedious and Yongguk wasn’t sure how much longer he would be able to handle the mind-numbing days.

                Finally, the bell for lunch rang and Yongguk was relieved that he would have at least a different change in scenery. He was surprised though when Zelo walked up to him instead of walking out of the room, knowing that Yongguk would follow him.

                “Let’s go to lunch!”

                “Were you planning on doing something different?” Yongguk asked as they walked out of the classroom.

                “No but today we are friends so I thought we should walk together.”

                Yongguk shook his head. “Whatever you say.”

                “Prince Zelo!”

                Zelo smiled and looked at the girl who was approaching them. “Sunhwa, I thought I told you not to call me prince.”

                Sunhwa, one of Zelo’s cousins, smiled but ignored the comment. “Are you going to eat with me today?”

                “Sure.”

                Sunhwa giggled and pulled Zelo into the cafeteria but it was obvious that her eyes were on Yongguk. He didn’t understand the girl’s infatuation with him but she was nice to Zelo and genuinely meant what she said so he didn’t mind having to deal with her. They sat at a table, well Zelo and Sunhwa sat while Yongguk and Sunhwa’s bodyguard stood at the edge of the table, keeping an eye on things. More people joined the table, some regulars who Zelo called his friends and others who were trying to get close to the prince.

                Things were going how they normally did until Sunhwa finished her food and looked up at Yongguk.

                “Yongguk, I was thinking about our conversation yesterday and I have a hard time believing you’ve never been in love.”

                It took all of Yongguk’s will not to sigh. “I have never loved anyone before.”

                Sunhwa pouted. “How is that possible? Being a vampire is so romantic and you’ve lived so long…”

                “I’ve never seen the point of love so I don’t understand how the length of time I’ve been alive has anything to do with it.” Yongguk shrugged and decided on to bring up the horrible side of being a vampire which included having to listen to your maker until you could beat him in a fight and win your freedom.

                “But love is beautiful and it makes you feel alive.” Sunhwa sighed as she stared at Yongguk.

                “What is love?” Yongguk asked. At his question all of the students at the table went silent. “What do you think love is?”

                Sunhwa frowned. “Love is… love is when you are attracted to someone for both their looks and personality and no matter what you want to be with only that person for the rest of your life. Love is looking at someone and feeling your heart beat faster.”

                “Love is finding your soul mate!” A younger girl piped in from farther down the table. “The one person who was meant to be with you.”

                “I really doubt I’ll want to be with just one person the rest of my life. Will I really still love someone after thousands of years?” Yongguk frowned as he shook his head.

                “That isn’t right.”

                Yongguk glanced at Zelo who was looking at him seriously. Before he could speak up, Sunhwa cut in. “Right? It is possible to love one person!”

                Zelo shook his head. “This isn’t what I’ll be teaching you Yongguk.”

                After the initial shock, Yongguk laughed. “What is it then that you want to teach me? What is love to this country’s prince?”

                “The notion of ‘true love’ by today’s standards is not what I agree with.” Zelo’s serious tone and words completely stunned Yongguk. “Love isn’t easy; there is not one person out there we are destined to love. It’s not about finding the right person but finding someone who is compatible with you and is willing to work with you to make the relationship work. It’s about finding someone you trust enough to tell everything to and not worry about them betraying you.”

                Zelo looked into Yongguk’s eyes. “As a vampire you might love multiple people in your life and it will hurt and when they die but you will be lucky to experience so many different types of loves. Each is important even if they don’t last because if you truly loved each of them then they were all true loves.”

                The table was silent as Zelo’s words sunk in. The girl who had brought up soul mates earlier looked near tears, but Zelo wasn’t paying attention to her, or anyone at the table, his focus was entirely on Yongguk.

                “You are smart for your age.” Yongguk finally said.

                Zelo rolled his eyes. “I’m 17 not 4.”

                Yongguk smiled. The table was still in almost silence as the bell to go to class rang. Zelo was the first to stand and he waved his goodbyes to the other students so he could walk back to class with Yongguk.

                “So?”

                “So what?” Yongguk tried to hide his smile at how frustrated Zelo looked with him.

                “Love, the way I describe love… what do you think about it?”

                Yongguk hummed in thought. “Love isn’t set in stone and it is something we work for…”

                “Yes.” Zelo nodded. “It’s the same with friendships too. As friends I’ll show you the love of friendship and maybe one day you’ll find more.”

                Yongguk chuckled. “I suppose we’ll just have to see, won’t we?” 


A/n: So.... this happened hahha. To be honest I'm not happy with how this is going so I understand if you don't like it :\

Probably like one chapter left? ugh Imma try to write it today or tomorrow *looks are request* T_T I'm so far behind.

 

Anyhow, leave me critics if you will and be brutal.
See you in the next chapter~