Chapter 5: First Date

Seven Things

 

It was a pleasant Saturday morning. The sky was so clear and blue, it almost looked like a painting. White clouds were being dragged by the wind in a slow motion. The sun itself shone brightly as if trying to show its might. The temperature was just right; it wasn’t blazing hot and not too chilly either. What a perfect day to hang out with a bunch of friends!

Minyoung was ready. She was dressed in a white printed top combined with pastel-colored wool cardigan and a denim shorts. A frilly scarf with the same color as her cardigan was hanging around her neck. The gladiator heels which height reached her ankle gave off chick and stylist feeling. Her long wavy hair was tied loosely to the side, embellished by small flower-shaped hairpins. Minyoung looked incredibly cute in her outfit.

Today, she was going to hang out with her friends, Jooeun and Hyemi. She had promised Hyemi to introduce Jooeun to her and she couldn’t wait until they met.

The girls made an appointment at 12 o’clock at Minyoung’s favorite coffee shop. Hyemi was the first one to arrive. A wide grin appeared on Minyoung’s face as she saw the familiar figure sitting at the back corner. She waved to her best friend who did the same. They hugged each other and squealed happily.

“Hyemi…! Whoa, I’m so happy to see you again…!” Minyoung yelled.

“I miss you, too, Minyoung!” replied the other girl.

Soon after, Jooeun arrived. “Sorry, I’m late,” she apologized. “My alarm didn’t work properly so I slept in…”

“It’s okay,” Minyoung said. “We’ve also just arrived.”

Jooeun looked at the girl who was sitting beside Minyoung and gave her a shy smile. “You must be Hyemi, right?”

“Yup. My name is Jung Hyemi. Nice to meet you,” Hyemi said and bowed slightly.

“I’m Kim Jooeun, but just call me Jooeun. Nice to meet you, too!”

Minyoung smiled. “I’m kind of hungry, girls. Do you want to order something to eat?”

“Yeah, my stomach is also growling,” said Jooeun.

They ended up ordering three portions of different spaghetti and a large plate of fruit salad. The girls chatted happily while enjoying their lunch. Just as what Minyoung had expected, Jooeun and Hyemi got along well in no time. It was their first time hanging out together, but it felt like as if it was something they had always done before.

After feeling full enough, the girls went to the nearest CD store because Hyemi said she wanted to check out some new albums. Minyoung was browsing the CDs when she saw Jooeun standing alone at the corner. She was holding a CD with four girls wearing four different colors of wigs on the cover.

“What’s that?” Minyoung asked.

Jooeun seemed to be startled by Minyoung’s sudden appearance. “Minyoung, you startled me!” She sighed. “Mm, this is Sistar’s first EP album… Do you know them?”

Minyoung thought for a while. “Sistar… The one who sang ‘Shady Girl’?”

“Yup, that’s right,” Jooeun nodded without turning her gaze from the CD she was holding.

“So what’s with them? Are you a fan of them?” Minyoung asked again.

Jooeun shook her head. “Not really… I like them, but not in a fanatic way. I’m just curious about them, since they’re the twin’s seniors.”

Minyoung raised one of her eyebrows. “The twin? You mean Jo Twin?”

“Yeah... Wait, haven’t I told you before? The twin is going to make their debut under the same label as Sistar, Starship Entertainment. They even appeared in Sistar’s first single, ‘Push Push’, music video.”

Minyoung blinked her eyes a few times. She was totally clueless about it. “Wow! I’m curious to see them in a real music video… Have you seen it, Jooeun?”

“Of course I have,” Jooeun answered proudly. She then smiled at Minyoung’s innocence and put back the CD on its rack.

The girls went to the bookstore afterwards. They also entered each boutique whose display attracted them and tried on different clothing, not to mention the shoes store as well. In an accessories shop, Minyoung found a cute teddy bear phone strap.

“Hey, look at this! Isn’t this strap cute? It also has various colors… How about buying this as the symbol of our friendship?” she suggested.

“Sounds great,” Hyemi answered cheerfully. “I’ll take the pink one. It’s really cute and suits my phone.”

“Hmm…” Jooeun’s eyes scanned the variety of colors presented. “I think I’ll take the white one.”

“Alright. I’ll take the black one, then!” said Minyoung.

They bought the straps and put it on their phones right away. They also took some pictures in the photo booth. The girls felt a bit thirsty, so they decided to grab some ice creams. Time fled as they had fun. When they realized it, it was almost dark. Their legs were sore because of too much walking. After resting at the bench for a while, they decided to call it a day.

“I had fun today! Thank you, girls, for this wonderful day,” Minyoung said.

“Yeah, that was really fun. My throat even became sore from singing too much at the karaoke earlier. I think I won’t be able to talk tomorrow,” Hyemi joked. But she really sounded throaty. Minyoung and Jooeun laughed at their friend.

“We definitely should hang out together again!” Jooeun enthused.

“I agree,” said Minyoung.

Hyemi looked at her watch. “Well, I think I should get going now… Bye!”

“Bye, Hyemi,” Minyoung gave her bestfriend one last hug. “Keep in touch, okay? Be careful on your way!”

Jooeun decided to leave not long after she was gone. “Minyoung, I should go now… Thanks for today! See you on Monday at school, okay?”

Minyoung smiled and waved her hand. “See you, Jooeun! Be careful!”

Now, Minyoung was left alone. She felt tired and wanted to go home, but she was a bit thirsty, so she decided to buy a drink first. She saw a juice stall standing nearby and went there.

“One orange juice, please,” she ordered.

“Guess you really like orange juice, huh?” Minyoung heard a familiar voice behind her and turned around. She was surprised to see a tall, dark-haired boy smiling at her. “Kwangmin…!” she gasped.

Kwangmin chuckled at the girl’s reaction. “Hi…! Didn’t expect to meet you here. What are you doing alone in the town at night?”

“Oh, I wasn’t alone… I’ve just hung out with my friends, but they left already. I’m on my way home and feeling kind of thirsty, so yeah… What about you?” Minyoung asked.

“I see. I’m going to go watch movie, but I want to buy a drink first…” Kwangmin turned to face the old lady behind the stall. “Ahjumma, one mango juice, please!”

Minyoung nodded her head while sipping her orange juice. She looked around, but found no sign of another tall, slender boy with blonde hair. “Where’s Youngmin?” she asked.

Kwangmin took his juice and handed out some money to the old lady. “We had a practice earlier and Youngmin is worn out, so he said he isn’t going with me.”

“What practice?”

Kwangmin rubbed the back of his head. “Well, you know, we are trainee under a label… We’re going to release our debut single soon, so we have to practice almost everyday…”

“Oh, I heard about that from Jooeun,” said Minyoung. “Wow, you guys are really amazing… I heard that you’ve even starred in some TV programs and CFs since you were a child.”

“No, it’s nothing,” Kwangmin tried to be humble.

Minyoung smile at the boy’s modesty. Suddenly she remembered what Jooeun had told her earlier at the CD store. “Kwangmin, is it true that you and Youngmin starred in Sistar’s ‘Push Push’ MV?”

Minyoung’s question caused a shade formed on the boy’s face. “Y-yeah, that’s true… Have you seen the MV?” Minyoung shook her head, making Kwangmin sighed in relief. “Then, don’t!” he snapped.

“But, why…?” Minyoung was puzzled.

“B-because…” Kwangmin stuttered. He didn’t dare to look at the girl’s face as he talked. “We were still young in that MV… You’ll find us different from how we look like now… And it was embarrassing…” He blushed even more.

Minyoung couldn’t help but chuckling lightly. She found Kwangmin’s blushing face really cute. “It’s okay, you know… No need to be embarrassed! You should be proud instead. Not everyone could be idols at young age, but you guys are really something.”

Minyoung’s words made Kwangmin felt even more uneasy. “But still, I don’t want you to see it… Don’t you dare to watch the MV!” Kwangmin starred at Minyoung’s eyes. He tried to sound threatening, but failed miserably.

“I can’t promise you that,” Minyoung teasingly answered.

Kwangmin ruffled his hair in frustration, and then sighed in defeat. “Fine. Do whatever you want. I know that even though I had warned you, you’d still watch it later.”

The girl bursted into laughter. “That’s right!”

Kwangmin rolled his eyes. But then he smiled and said, “Minyoung, how about accompanying me tonight? You’re not in a hurry, are you? You know, it feels kind of lonely to watch movie alone…”

Minyoung’s eyes widen in surprise. She was confused at first. She was tired and it was late already, she’d better went home. But on the other hand, she knew it would be lonely for Kwangmin to watch movie alone since his twin couldn’t accompany him. Also, she would feel bad toward him if she just tuned down his offer.

Kwangmin was still looking at Minyoung, waiting for her answer. His heart was racing for a reason he didn’t understand. He only asked the girl to watch movie with him, but why did it feel like as if he was asking her on a date? He never asked a girl on date before, but perhaps this was how it felt to do so. The atmosphere was so awkward, Kwangmin wanted to take back his words if only it was possible. But he knew, it would be ridiculous to do it at this rate because Minyoung seemed to think about it seriously.

“Sure, why not?” Minyoung flashed a smile. She decided to have some more fun before really calling it a day. It was Saturday night, anyway. Also, watching movie with Kwangmin wouldn’t cause any harm, right? So she decided to be nice and accepted his offer.

It was Kwangmin’s turn to be surprised. “R-really?” he asked in disbelief. “I mean, are you okay with this?”

“Of course. That’s not a big deal, right? Why are you so surprised?” Minyoung giggled in amusement.

“Uh, nothing,” Kwangmin replied awkwardly. “Okay, then. Let’s go! We’re almost late.”

They then went to the cinema together. Apparently, the movie Kwangmin wanted to watch was a romantic-comedy movie. They laughed during the movie. Kwangmin was glad to see that Minyoung was enjoying it as much as he was. But when it came to romantic scene, he would tense up for no apparent reason. When the main actor and actress were kissing, Kwangmin shifted his body uncomfortably. He took a glance on Minyoung, wondering if the girl felt as nervous as he did, only to find her paying full attention to the movie.

Minyoung glad it was dark inside the cinema, so nobody would notice her face which was becoming redder as the main actor’s face leaned closer to the actress’s. She didn’t know why, but she always got this butterfly on her stomach every time she saw a kissing scene. Minyoung found it really romantic. Maybe that was because she had never kissed anyone before, so she always wondered how it felt to touch your lips with someone else’s. Even though she was curious, she had decided to save her first kiss for the guy she really loved in the future.  She was fully focused on the movie; she didn’t even realize that Kwangmin was staring at her with admiration in his eyes.

It was hard to see in the dark, but the light from the screen which was reflected on Minyoung’s face helped him to see well. He could see that Minyoung was blushing herself, but she didn’t look at his direction. It seemed like Minyoung was fascinated by the scene shown. Her eyes sparkled in different colors as the screen kept changing from one point of view to another. Suddenly, Kwangmin’s eyes were fixed on Minyoung’s lips. His heart began to beat faster as he wondered what if he was the actor and Minyoung was the actress instead… Then he quickly shook his head.

“What the heck was I thinking about? How could I imagine such a thing to happen between me and Minyoung? There must be something wrong with me…!” he cursed under his breath.

Fortunately, the kissing scene didn’t last long. Kwangmin sighed in relief when both players parted away. He continued watching the rest of the movie and remained composed, but still couldn’t get rid of the awkward feeling he had been feeling for a while now.

After watching the movie, both Kwangmin and Minyoung felt hungry, so they decided to have dinner before going home. They went to a Chinese restaurant which is located not far away from the cinema. Kwangmin said that the owner of the restaurant was his parents’ friend and they often came there. The food was delicious and Minyoung ate a lot due to her extreme hunger. It had been almost more than eight hours since she had her lunch. Kwangmin was left speechless as he saw the girl enjoying her meal.

“Wow, you eat a lot, much to my surprise…” Kwangmin said.

“Yes, because I’m really hungry,” Minyoung answered matter-of-factly. “Is that wrong?”

Kwangmin quickly shook his head. “No, not at all! I was just surprised, you know… Most of the girls I know eat so few; I can barely call it a meal. I can’t understand them at all.”

Minyoung laughed. “Well, just for your information, I’m not one of those girls who only care for their diet day and night… Using excuses like keeping their bodies in shape or whatsoever… I can’t understand them either. I mean, it’s true that girls have to pay extra attention to their food and be careful not to gain too much weight, but I think it’s also very important to give our body the nutrition it needs. Besides, the food here is really tasty. Why don’t enjoy it?”

Kwangmin was impressed by Minyoung’s words. It was his first time to hear a girl talking like that. Minyoung was surely different from any other girls he had met before. She was really something.

Kwangmin then chuckled lightly and said, “You’re always being so honest and straightforward, Minyoung. It’s rare to find a girl like you nowadays.”

“Well, I’ll take that as a compliment.” Minyoung smiled to him.

Seeing Minyoung’s smile brought back the fluttering sensation he had before. Kwangmin gulped down as he tried to control himself. Why did it feel so hard to breathe anytime the girl showed her sweet, innocent smile? The boy couldn’t even bring himself to look at Minyoung’s eyes. He pretended to look outside the window to avoid her gaze.

“It’s kind of late. I think we should go home now,” Kwangmin said. He then asked for the bill to the waiter.

“Let’s split the bill,” Minyoung said while reaching for her purse.

“No,” Kwangmin stopped her. “I’ll pay the whole bill.” Being the gentleman that he was, he felt obligated to do so.

“But, Kwangmin—” Minyoung tried to argue, but once again she was stopped by the brunette.

“No, Minyoung, let me pay the bill. It’s nothing much, really. Just think of it as my gratitude because you have accompanied me tonight.”

Minyoung then had no reason to argue anymore. Although she felt bad to let Kwangmin paid the meal, she couldn’t do anything about it since Kwangmin insisted. Kwangmin always treated her like a lady. She thought that the brunette was a very nice and polite guy. Whoever the girl who would be his girlfriend later must be very lucky.   

“Thanks for today, Kwangmin! Hanging out with you is very fun. I think I should get going now, so… see you on Monday!”

“Wait! It’s dangerous for a girl to walk alone at night… Where do you live? I’ll walk you home,” Kwangmin offered.

“No, you don’t need to. My place is not too far from here. You should also get home, right? I don’t want to bother you… Don’t worry, I can go home by myself,” Minyoung politely rejected.

“Aissh, don’t be stubborn, Minyoung! You don’t know how dangerous it is for a girl to walk alone at night. There are a lot of baddies out there. I don’t want something bad to happen to you. Let me walk you home. And I don’t take ‘no’ for an answer!” The brunette persisted.

Minyoung sighed at his stubbornness.  “Fine, then,” she said.

They chatted happily along the way. Minyoung found it easy to talk to Kwangmin. She can talk about almost anything and he would always listen with interest. Sometimes he would also tell her some jokes—which are actually lame—but she would laugh anyway because she knew that Kwangmin was trying hard to amuse her. In Minyoung’s opinion, Kwangmin was funny and very kind. She enjoyed every moment she spent with him.

It was really late when they finally arrived in front of Minyoung’s house.

“Thank you for walking me home. And thanks for the meal, too! I had fun today,” Minyoung said.

“Me, too,” replied Kwangmin. “Thanks for accompanying me tonight! The movie would be boring if I were to watch it alone.”

Minyoung laughed. “It’s nothing. It was such a coincidence for us to bump into each other!”

“Maybe it wasn’t a coincidence…” Kwangmin muttered.

“Then what was it?” Minyoung asked curiously.

“A fate, perhaps?”

Minyoung chuckled again. “Maybe,” she said. “Or maybe not. Who knows? But I really enjoyed it, though.” Suddenly her face grew redder. “To be honest, I’ve never gone out with a boy alone before… It was a new experience for me.”

“Really?” Kwangmin suddenly sounded so interested. “Does it mean that you’ve never had a date before?”

Minyoung nodded shyly. It was true—she had never dated anyone before. That was why hanging out with Kwangmin tonight was a totally new experience for her. And she wanted to thank him for that.

Hearing Minyoung’s answer made Kwangmin felt so happy. He didn’t know why, but knowing that he was the first guy Minyoung had ever hung out with made him feel proud. “Well, actually, I have also never had a date before…” he admitted.

“You must be kidding!” Minyoung squealed. She didn’t believe his words. “You and Youngmin are so popular, I bet you must have dated a lot of girls…!”

“No, that’s not true,” Kwangmin snapped. “Well, it’s true that there are a lot of girls who are attracted to us and some even have confessed to me… But I’ve never been in a relationship before nor dated any of them. The same goes for Youngmin. He has never dated anyone either.”

Minyoung was dumbstruck by the brunette’s confession. She had never thought that the most popular guys in SOPA have never had a date before! She always thought that popular boys are playboy. Well, most of them really were. Perhaps she had read too much comics or watched too much dramas, because she had to change her perception about them now.

“Whoa, it is so unbelievable…!” Minyoung gasped in awe.

Kwangmin chortled at her reaction. “I know,” he said. “Since this was our first time hanging out with opposite , how about us considering it as a date?”

Minyoung face blushed instantly at his words. “W-well,” she stuttered. “I think it’s not too bad for a first date.”

“You think so?” Kwangmin smiled. “As for me, it was actually great… Really.”

Minyoung gave him a shy smile. “Yeah, I guess you’re right. Once again, thanks, Kwangmin! You’re always being so nice to me. I don’t know how to repay you.”

“Nah, don’t mention it,” Kwangmin said. “Well, I think I should go now. Rest well tonight, okay? Good night, Minyoung! Have a nice dream.”

“Be careful! And good night!” Minyoung waved her hand in his direction as she watched the brunette’s back slowly disappeared in the dark. 

 


A long chapter, isn't it? I didn't even realize that I've typed this much... But I really enjoyed the story so far. Sorry, Youngmin didn't appear in this chapter! :( I know... I also miss him. LOL! But I need to focus on Minyoung and Kwangmin's relationship. What do you think so far? Please tell me! And thanks a lot for my subscribers! I love you all. Expect a good chapter ahead, because everything is going to be more complicated from now on! *evil smirk* See you! Ppyong~ ♥