Chapter 1

Friends, Lovers or Nothing

 

 

 

[Dara’s POV]

 

 

It’s Monday morning at the busy streets of Seoul, business men and women rushing. And I’m one of them!

 

Great Dara great! You’re the epitome of late! Oh that rhymes. But who cares about rhyming I need to get my there or I’ll be fired.

 

I’m practically living alone here in Seoul and it’s been what? 8 years already since I left my two siblings and my mom in Busan. Don’t ask about my father, we both don’t know where that hell of a guy is. One day, my father magically disappear when I was still 11 years old. I’m a daddy’s girl and that literally broke my heart. I experienced heart break at the age of 11! Moving on with my life, I pursue fashion designing as a career. I studied fashion designing at a university in Seoul. I know I didn’t study in Paris like the other designers out there. I don’t have the luxury to buy plane ticket to Paris, what more to study there. I barely made it here in Seoul, but with the right amount of PASSION for FASHION, I graduated and I’m one of the top students. Hah! Talk about being a genius. I’m pretty confident with my designs and I’m sure I can compete to those who have a great educational background.

 

Besides my pitiful life as a student in the past, let’s go back to my pitiful life as a designer here at Lee Fashion Inc.,

 

“Miss Park, why am I not surprise that you’re late again?” Taeyeon-ssi, my team manager said.

 

“I’m sorry tim jang-nim (team leader). I barely sleep because I need to finish these designs for our spring collection and I didn’t realize it’s already late.” I said with pure exhaustion in my voice.

 

“Are you explaining or you’re complaining?” said SoHee, my co-designer here at the awful, slavery institution I’m working at.

 

I can’t believe these people! Why are they all against me? Is being late a crime now? Did the sales drop because I’m late? Did the CEO of this ing company got into a coma coz I’m late? I’m just freakin late and now it’s me against the world.

 

“Okay! Now that we’re done with the grand entrance of our Dara here let’s start the meeting.” Timjang-nim said with full authority in her voice.

 

Though she’s sometimes rude to me - okay make that most of the time, I still admire her leadership despite of being young. She’s like 5 years younger than me and she’s been here in the company for just a year. While me? I’ve been under slavery for 5 years already and I haven’t been promoted yet! Where’s the justice people?

 

“Since everyone is here already and as a tradition, I would like to call our two team designers to present their works. Miss Park? Miss Ahn? I hope you’re both ready.” Taeyeon said, hence the start of war between me and Sohee.

 

You see, our design team here at Lee Enterprise Inc., have started this crazy tradition of competing for who’s designs are to be used for the collection. See? Aren’t we a bunch of lunatics? Instead of promoting team work we’re promoting competency. And being the only two designers in our team, it’s always me against Sohee. It’s been like this for 4 years now. My first year here is awesome, me and Sohee are hitting it off together. Then suddenly I hear more praises about my designs so I guess she thought I’m a competition.

 

SoHee started showing off her designs. She’s good, she is one of those people who studied in Paris, you know? The fashion capital of the world. I could say, she really did well this time. She does every time actually. It’s just that for me, her designs are too trying hard. I can sense the professionalism in them but I can’t sense her passion. But who am I to judge? We’re mere workers here.

 

“My theme for this spring collection is nature. As you can see colors such as earth colors, and greens. Having that sophisticated yet young looks.” Sohee explained her inspiration for each design.

 

I can see our other team members agreeing and admiring her work. Now the pressure’s on me. I’ve been working on my designs so hard but it’s always Sohee’s designs who’s making the break.

 

Now it’s my turn.

 

“Annyeong everyone. I used patterns as a theme for this spring collection. I also used various colors such as shades of yellow, purple, pink, orange, white, blue. I want our customers to have variety of choices. It’s spring and I think it’s one of the most favorable season to be fashionable. Not too hot, not too cold. Clothes they can wear with jeans, shorts or pants. Dresses flowing down smoothly. We can’t stick with the middle ages, so I created designs that can be worn by anyone. Not too revealing for the old ones and not too old fashion for the young ones. Also clothes that looks chic and good with any hairstyles.”

 

Ahhhh~ I feel great. My designs is about fairness and being free. That’s what it’s all about. Fashion is how you express yourself. So I can’t do designs that only matches the other ones I created.

 

Taeyeon stood in front as she eyed me with…. Is that disappointment in her eyes? I don’t feel good about this.

“It doesn’t have to take a year to decide. Me and the other members came up with the anonymous decision. We’re going with Sohee’s designs.” She declared.

 

“What?! Did I do something wrong? What is it this time? I pour my every sweat on those designs. I think my designs favors the customers more!” Oh yes I’m mad! Raging mad! How can they do this to me? Is there a conspiracy going on here? I demand an explanation!

 

“Dara-ssi, calm down. It’s not that your designs are bad. Yes they are favorable to the customers, but is it favorable to our company?” our team leader looks like she’s also trying her best not to shout at my face.

 

“What? I don’t understand.”

 

“Of course you wouldn’t understand. You’re a Dara” oh great! Just what I needed. Another heated conversation with SoHee. Isn’t she happy already that her designs are chosen? Why can’t she leave me alone and let me be miserable. She just have to add up to my unfortunate life.

 

“A Dara? Did you just used my name as a noun?” I’m so irritated right now. What does she mean by ‘a Dara’? Her guts! May her cheeks explode in the different directions of the earth!

 

“Yes I did. You know, when you saw someone who is trying hard to be a fashion designer but have the worst fashion statement in the world. That’s what a Dara is.”

 

Okay that’s it! That’s the last strand of my patience. And the next thing I did is…….

 

“Why you!!!!! AAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”

 

“You think you’re great?! You think you’re pretty with that fake face of yours?! You’re not even y! How dare you say that I have the worst fashion statement in the world?!!! Does wearing shirt, ripped jeans a sin now?!! I’m a designer not a ing MODELLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!! WAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!” I pull her hair here and there while pouring out my feels and anger towards her. I kept it for four years and I think that’s enough!

 

“THAT’S ENOUGH!!!! DARA STOP IT!!!” Taeyeon shouted and tried to pull me away from Sohee. But I keep pulling Sohee’s hair with me so double the pain double the fun. Hahahahaha

 

“Dara stop!!!! You’re fired!!! That’s it!” Taeyeon shouted.

 

And there goes my dream to be at the top of this industry. Good bye dreams. Good bye hardships. My 5 years of being a slave here and nothing came out right.

 

Walking out with my stuffs, I promise I won’t return to this slavery company ever again! NEVER!

 


 

“HUWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH *sniff *sniff HUHUHUHUHUHU BOMMIE-YAAAAAAAAAAAH~~~”

 

After walking out of that stupid company, I went straight to Bom’s unit. You see Bom’s my best friend. She’s the most understanding best friend out there. She loves me and always take my side. That’s why I love her to the core of my inner beauty. We’ve been best friend since I set a foot here at Seoul. I met her at the university and we even became roommates while we’re studying. She took fashion designing too but she’s more of a model despite her height. She’s really pretty I tell you!

 

“Stop bawling like a baby!! What’s the matter Dara? Did someone in your family died?”

 

“What?! No! No! Take that back! Huwaaaaaaaaaah~~~~” I demanded like a pre-schooler.

 

“Okay! Okay! Jeezzz! Just tell me what happened.” Bom getting irritated now. Even I’m irritated with myself. Why am I bawling like a child? I wanted to leave there. But where will that leave me? Ahh life !

 

“Bommie~~ Th-they f-f-f-fired me!!! They fired me Bommie-yah!”

 

“WHAT???!! What did you do this time?!!” Bom is now mad. Wait! Did she just said what did I do? I did nothing wrong!

 

I wiped my tears and calm myself. Anger is filling me up again. Gone with the crying dara, now I’m mad!

 

*Click* *Click*

 

I heard the shutter sound of the camera. I know who that is.

 

“It’s such amusing to witness a girl having a PMS. How she’s crying and the next thing she’s mad. Such an art.” The man who is admiring his shots of my fugly fresh from tears face. He’s too good looking to be such a jerk.

 

“Delete that Kwon or I’ll delete your face from the earth.” I glared at my best friend. Yes you heard me. My good for nothing best friend.

 

We met 3 years ago when Bom introduced me to him at her party 24th party. Jiyong is still a college student that time but he’s a part time photographer. He said he’s doing it to support his studies. He’s actually younger than me for about 4 years. Bom and I are both 27 and he’s 23. He graduated last year under a business course but he said he loves photography more so he’s still a freelance photographer. Despite age differences, the three of us hit it off and declared that we’re best friend. Because we’re best friends, we drop off the formalities so he doesn’t call me nor Bom ‘noona’. But Jiyong is probably the worst best friend you can get. Trust me!

 

“Tsssk! Still a party pooper grumpy Dara” Jiyong started to teased me again.

 

“Shut it Ji. Our Dara here just got fired maybe coz of her stupidity again.” Bom said much to my distaste.

 

“Yah! Bommie! You haven’t heard my story yet!”

 

“Tell us then!” Bom demanded.

 

I told them my story and how I ended up unemployed and crying here at Bom’s unit.

 

“HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! I gotta give it to you grumpy Dara! You just rock Sohee’s world there!” Jiyong said while literally laughing his out.

 

On the other hand it’s different on Bom’s case. She’s still mad. Why? I’m the victim here!

 

“Dara, you should’ve just pro-longed your patience. You and I know you needed that job. That’s why you’re there for 5 years now. You just blew it off just coz you let your emotions rule you.” I can see Bom’s disappointment. I know she’s just concern because I’m jobless now. But I’m being paid there fairly and I did save. Why do you think I’m wearing this shirts and jeans and not those expensive clothes.

 

“Spare her Bom. She’s probably regretting it right now.” My good for nothing best friend butted in.

 

“You’re jobless now, if you want to do modeling I can hook you up. What is your plan?” asked Bom.

 

“I don’t know. I don’t do modeling you know that. It’s not my thing.” I said honestly. Hey I’m short, shorter than Bom to be exact.

 

“Why not start your own company?” Jiyong suggested.

 

“Wha-what? No!” That’s ridiculous!

 

“You’re a genius Jiyong! I knew that forehead of yours is hiding something!” Bom said in delight.

 

I don’t like this. My two best friend agreeing on something.

 


 

Annyeong everyone!

How was it? Do you find it interesting? Jiyong and Dara best friends

I don't know anything about fashion industry

and how do it work... hihihihihi so please bare with me...

I don't know it this will be a short one or long one...

BTW this is my first fanfic so please be good to me~ ^__^

I don't have a banner yet.. I hope I can earn a reader that will do me one ^___^

-- unknownkwon