The Detective and The Waiter?

Lost Romeo (1004) [Hiatus]

 

 

 

 

 

A young waiter stood beside them wearing the generic waiter’s outfit of a white shirt and black trousers with black shoes, finished with a white apron hung from his thin waist. A small, shy smile lingered on his lips as he stood in his perfect stature beside the detective’s table holding a small note pad and pen. Myungsoo couldn’t help but stare him down, top to bottom. Long legs, small frame, thin waist, red lips, big eyes, it was the definition of perfection.

Both his beauty and aura captured the young detective. It was a feeling he had never experienced but at the same time, awfully familiar. Myungsoo couldn’t quite put his finger on it. The feeling made him annoyed as a person and as a detective. It was like an unsolved case standing in front of him, begging to be freed from their shackles. Daehyun, realising his dongsaeng’s intimidating stare at the beautiful waiter spoke for the both of them, not after coughing from embarrassment.

 

 

 

“We’ll have two Chicken Caesar Salads, one earl grey, one English breakfast tea and 4 breakfast buns please.” Myungsoo’s stare adverted from the waiter and straight to Daehyun after hearing the word ‘salad’ in his order. Call him a child for all he cared, Myungsoo wasn’t one to particularly favour the groups of food that were linked to the word ‘vegetable’ or ‘fruit’. He was fine with the more sweeter of the kind such as strawberries, asparagus, mangoes, apples and watermelons but everything else didn’t sit right on his pallet.

 

 

 

“Ok, that would be two Chicken Caesar Salads, one earl grey tea, one English breakfast tea and 4 breakfast buns. Would that be all?” Sungjong parroted their order which was written on his little black book.

 

 

 

“Yes that would be all.”

 

 

 

“Coming right up!” Daehyun flashed the waiter a smile as the young boy went back to his station to input their order into the system. Both detectives found their eyes unable to pry from the young boy, following his graceful moves by each frame. Though they both were staring at the boy, one was staring a little more intense than intended. Daehyun could feel the sudden change in Myungsoo’s aura and proceeded to stop him from scaring their lovely waiter away.

 

 

 

“Myung, stop! You’re not in the interrogation room, this is a café!” Daehyun spoke in hushed tones, hoping the other people around them couldn’t hear. It wasn’t until Myunsoo gave the café a good look around when he had finally noticed how busy they were. The café was near full with almost every seat in the house taken by an occupant. Small chattering could be hear every now and again from the people around them. No full sentence could be made out fully, even with Myungsoo’s super hearing as the amount of voices overlapping each other was a little overbearing for the other.

 

 

 

“Wh-at?” Myungsoo broke out of his daydream and turned to Daehyun who was staring at him with a sigh. The young detective hadn’t realised what he was doing until a mirror hung opposite to where he was staring showed him his face. His eyes were exactly the eyes he would sometimes see reflecting from the glass during his interrogations. Even he had to admit it was not a nice look for him.

 

 

 

“If looks could kill, that boy other there would have been dead long ago.” Daehyun joked, bringing them to a lighter mood.

Their tea had come first in their respected tea pots. Matching tea cups were placed beside them. Sungjong took the pots and poured their tea one by one, hitting the tea bag directly, making the leaves inside dance and the aroma stronger. It soon became apparent to the both of them that this boy knew what he was doing when it came to making a good cup of tea. The smell of the freshly brewed tea made everyone in the room become more relaxed and alert. Myungsoo could feel him muscles unwind, his nightmare from his morning long forgotten. He could only wonder how it would taste when pressed against his lips.

 

 

 

“Thank you.” His first words to the boy became those.

Surprised by his sudden voice, he shocked not only him and Daehyun but also Sungjong who was had yet to hear the other’s voice. Kind words were something that was needed in a normal social life. However, Myungsoo was neither sociable nor normal. Most of the time, he would be by himself at home or at the station. Other times, he would be with Daehyun who would do all the ‘sociable’ stuff for him. He enjoyed standing back and drifting in and out of daydream. Hence his words had given both detectives the current reaction.

 

 

 

“You’re welcome.” Sungjong replied with a bright smile almost too blinding even in the mostly white with brown surroundings of the café. The boy was shocked by how young sounding the black haired detective was, seeing has his face was more of the cold, mature city boy type. There was something in his voice that made Sungjong smile. It was light, almost like feathers.

Myungsoo looked away almost immediately, facing the window on his left while resting his chin on his left palm as to say ‘I don’t care’. Daehyun smiled politely and parroted Myungsoo’s words. Once Sungjong was done, he went back to the kitchen to collect the rest of their order and set them up on the table.

 

 

 

“Jong, can you take table 4’s order please? I need to quickly run out and get something for the boss.” Another young waiter came. Like Sungjong, he had brown hair but was a few shades darker than the other. Sungjong’s was more of a light brown while the other, a dark chocolate. He was a little taller and tanned compared to Sungjong. Myungsoo knew he was definitely a lot more masculine, especially the way he held himself in front of other people which made it a lot easier to differentiate the two if he could not see or hear him. His aura was different. A little cheeky I would say, Myungsoo thought.

 

 

 

“Sure, come back safely!” Daehyun thanked Sungjong once more after he had finished setting the table with their salad and breakfast buns. Before Myungsoo could even think of what to say, the boy had already moved over to the next table to take their order. Myungsoo looked at the dishes for a bit, admiring the way they sat there perfectly in their respected place but grimacing at the sight of how much green there was.

 

 

 

“Not hungry?” Daehyun asked worried for his friend as he seemed to be staring a lot more than normal. The dirty blond was always quick to point out Myungsoo’s mood. Whether he was happy, sad, curious, he always showed the same face but the colour around him was always a shade different. Daehyun saw it all, even the colour of the waiter. A pale yellow, a colour that was perfect for such a boy.

 

 

 

“Sorry, I was just a little out of it.” Daehyun had noticed it this morning. From the second Myungsoo stepped into his cubicle, a hint of brown in his usual colourless aura had managed to catch his eyes. It was not normal for someone to be colourless but Myungsoo was one of them. Daehyun didn’t know why but he couldn’t see Myungsoo’s aura. The only during the time when his emotions slightly tipped the scale was when Daehyun could see hints of it. He didn’t want to ask Myungsoo what was wrong. He knew the other didn’t like to be questioned so normally Daehyun would wait until Myungsoo finally opened up. Those times were rare but special to both of them. It was because of that, that they remain good friends and ultimately, Myungsoo’s best. However, this time was different. The thing bothering Daehyun was something more than anyone could imagine. He had a bad feeling about it but Daehyun couldn’t find the right words. Once again, he decided to wait until Myungsoo went over to him for support.

 

 

 

“Be careful ok? We need to keep our eyes open at all times. You never know what’s around the corner these days; just look what happened last night.” Daehyun warned Myungsoo. The raven took the warning close to heart, knowing the other was trying to watch out for it. It was rare for Daehyun to show such raw emotions but that only meant Myungsoo had to always be on his feet when such a warning came.

The two dug into their meal, engrossed in the flavours which were presented to them. The essence of shock seemed to be around a lot more today with the unexpected encounter with the pretty waiter and Myungsoo’s polite words to the said boy. Myungsoo found him unable to stop eating. The food was amazing and cleansed his pallet from the foul taste of this morning. Somewhere in between their food, a waiter had come over to refill their drinks. Myungsoo took no notice of him and Daehyun could see that. Once the new waiter had stepped far enough, Daehyun took the opportunity to tease his dongsaeng.

 

 

 

“So if they aren’t pretty, you won’t notice them?” Daehyun said with a smirk. Myungsoo looked up from his plate, stopping eating mid-way.

 

 

 

“What?” He spoked with filled cheeks, confused to why the dirty blond said that.

 

 

 

“You really didn’t notice? A waiter just came to fill our drinks and you didn’t even look away from your food!” Myungsoo shrugged his shoulders as a response. Humans didn’t interest him unless they were dying, dead or had died. If they are not part of a case which needed solving, he wouldn’t bother taking a second glance. Rude when said aloud but it was the truth and a lot of the times, the truth hurts.

 

 

 

“Hello again, is there anything you need?” His timing could not have been any better. From the first letter of his sentence, he had already caught Myungsoo’s attention. Straight away, the stoic detective looked up from his plate and right into the eyes of the other. So beautiful.

 

 

 

“U-umm…No…we are fine here…” Myungsoo managed to say, stopping Daehyun from doing so.

 

 

 

“Great! I hope you are enjoying your food.”

 

 

 

“Yes, it’s great…How-“ The raven could feel someone walk towards them. The presence of another made him stop speaking all together.

 

 

 

“Oi, Jongie!” Oh, it’s that man again, Myungsoo thought. It was the same man who had gotten Sungjong to help him take table 4’s order and most likely the same man who refilled their tea a while ago. Myungsoo didn’t like him, not one bit.

 

 

 

“Yes, hyung?”

 

 

 

“The boss is calling for you.” The tall waiter said in a teasing tone while punching the beauty on the arm. It was a light punch but hard enough to annoy Myungsoo.

 

 

 

“Oh! I better run! Sorry for disturbing you, please continue your meal and have a nice day.” Sungjong was gone and Myungsoo had gone back to his ways. His plate was now empty but he still felt a little hungry for more. It wasn’t food but something else. He continued to look out to his left. People walked by as though nothing happened. Ignoring those around them and only focusing on their own. That is what humans are. This is what he was until that boy came.

 

 

 

“You’re awfully talkative today. What’s gotten into you?” Daehyun asked, half expecting Myungsoo to answer. Whatever it was, it was really affecting Myungsoo.

 

 

 

“I don’t know…But I think I’ve seen him somewhere before.”

 

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

 

 

Even after lunch, the station looked half dead. They were all fed but still lacking in the most important thing for a human to function, sleep. Right as they stepped into the station, they were summoned to the meeting room along with 6 others. The room was quiet with no one dare to utter a single word as they waited for their superiors to come. Yongguk and Himchan stepped inside looking a lot better than before as they managed to sneak a half hour nap in between their working hours. They sat in their respectable seats, closest to the projecting wall and door on the right hand side of the room before the lights dimmed down and the meeting took place.

 

 

 

“As you all know, a murder took place near the Han River at approximately 11:24am, yesterday. A call was received from the Yongsan-gu station office with only the deep breathing a person of who is thought to be the killer. The breathing lasted for approximately 20 seconds. No words were said in the call which triggered a yellow alert which meant they had to manually track the call. It took exactly 5 minutes for the call to be tracked which meant that if the called was indeed the killer, they wanted to body to be found. The operator at the time has already given their report on the call, arriving to us only a few minutes ago through special permission as we were the first to arrive at the scene. They described the breathing to be of a male aged between 25-35 years old. Nothing else has yet to be announced.” Yongguk started, leaving back on his chair as he informed the rest of the force.

 

 

 

“In front of you is a file of the report Detective Superintendent Bang and I have written up for this meeting. Of course, as you all could have guess, it is not in full detail nor is there a lot to go by seeing as the case has been up less than 24 hours ago. This report has yet to be finished and submitted to the intelligence service. The reason why we have decided to give this to you is because there is a chance the higher ups will not allow us to be in charge of this case. Many of you will not know this but there have been 4 other cases that will likely be linked to this one. All were committed close to water, of example, the Nakdong River close to Busan, the Pyongyang River in Taedong and so forth.” Himchan continued.

 

 

 

“We have decided that whatever the higher ups choose to do with this case, we will fully oblige.” Yongguk announced. Myungsoo found himself leaning forward with his palms on the table, ready to protest. He wasn’t going to let such a case slip through his fingers. Not this time.

 

 

 

“However, I warn you, be alert at all times.”  Himchan took over, staring right at Myungsoo as the young detective slowly sat back down onto his chair. The Superintendent’s words were just what he wanted. Be alert, in other words, we are going rogue.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

And, I have finally updated! Please comment and subscribe! I love hearing from you all and it actually gives me strength to write xD Loves you all! <3