THE NIGHT SHIFT : KWON JUNHO

THE NIGHT SHIFT

I saw them a lot at my work place. The ordinary and not so the high-end movie cinema near Gangnam. Place where no fans thought celebrities like them would visit. Not that I’m implied my work place provide bad services. We’re pretty decent actually. We had clean toilets, with good security and everything, but the place was not the one created especially for those so called VVIPs slash the rich and famous slash celebrities would dropped by. We’re just an ordinary movie cinema where you found the same type of popcorn and other simple snacks you would find in any movie cinemas, anywhere else in the world. But rumors said, that particular celebrity couple, the public has been speculating romantically tangled since their appearance in that fake-marriage TV show became our regular customer coz the girl loved our corn. Yep you heard it right. C.O.R.N. That’s our signature, one that differentiating us with any other movie cinemas in the world. That was only one reason.

And the other reason of course, the ability of us, the people working in this movie cinema to mind our own businesses and treat the said couple humanly ordinary. Just like any normal couple out there. Just like the ordinary couple’s in love. Not that we didn’t know, fans or gossip coloumns would pay us fortunes to share infos about them. It sinked to my mind and apprently to my other collegue’s minds too as truth to be told night shift in the movie cinema was never a dream job people would say it out loud with pride. The monthly cheques we got were often barely enough to pay all the bills and to live only moderately.

Yet, we were proud knowing we’re better than those greedy people out there, who shamelessly tailed and spied on those young popular faces, took their intimate pictures and made their romantic entanglements public consumptions. Those greedy heartless people, not even think to put themselves into the poor young celebrity’s shoes. Or simple care on how the world would unfairly judging certain celebrities they targetted and how broken those young hearts could be to be forced to apalogize for their “sins” they made to the world. The sin for being young. The sin  for being normal humans and falling in love.

We could easily took pictures though. We could easily made amateur videos and blackmailed entertainment agencies for we saw a lot of celebrities movie dating in our cinema. We could. But we won’t. We’re humans with feelings and respect of other people’s privacy.  We would never did those unrespectable acts like those greedy and shameless people who used other people’s misery, a golden way out of their own miseries. We’re not that kind of people. And we’re proud that way.

Back to that certain couple, I saw them a lot when they came to see the midnight show. They were a truly cheesy couple. They would acted like the world was never exist except of course their own little world. They had their eyes only for each other. Telling each other sweet things in that sugary tones that would made me and the other male workers life becoming hard as our female collegues would spazzed over their cheesiness for days.

And the guy.....the boyfriend, the cool vocalist slah leader of this country’s popular rock band was a jealous freak who had his arms drapped around the girlfriend’s waist possesively. ALL THE TIME. Like he was afraid that someone would snached the girlfriend away from him. But when you met the girlfriend up close and personal, any sane men would acted the same and no one could ever blame him for marking his territory very clearly. The girl was smokin’ hot. I would personally turned green myself to have a girl like that as a girlfriend. She was not only phisically pretty but she was effortlessly beautiful inside out. She was simply glowing with her happiness. The way her sparkling eyes twinkled, man,  she proved that I was wrong with my belief all this year that she was the less attractive one compared to the rest of the members in her group. In a real the maknae of the nation most popular girlgroup was the prettiest. Her simple kind heart made her look a lot lovelier that she already did. The fact that she seemed attached and so in love with the guy made the rocker boy deserved to be crowned as the nation little lucky bastard.

But to be honest, that little bastard was equally nice himself. He was playful and loved to teased the girl until her nostril flared. It didn’t need to take a genius to see that was he too, head over the heel in love with the girl. There was this comforting gentlement aura coming out from him. Charismatic boyfriend any girl would kill to have.  He was familiar and friendly, not as proper as the girlfried did, but he was polite nevertheless. All in all, that couple simply the favorite of all the night shifter in our workplace. Especially between ahjummas who spent their entire free times watching romantic dramas on TV.

In the eye of a simple minded normal kinda guy like me, the couple’s PDAs often created cringe. I’m no romantic (which caused me to be single until now) and simply oblivious of what girls wants in general (which is another reason for me being single). So seeing the couple acted sweet and lovey dovey towards each other like nothing else matter in the world but their own little things were making my toes seriously curled.

Even when they fight they were cheesy. Yes they were fight just like other normal couples.  They would quarreled over small and minor stuffs. His unhealthy way of life, his coffee addiction, and her constant nagging over that issues seemed to be very “delicate” between them that usually change their lovey dovey acts into those lover quarrel situations.

“I miss you...!”

Was the thing he always say to start their cheesy convo. I didn’t need to spare a glance to know how the guy’s facial expression would look like when he said that. He would recklined his back comfortably on his seat, head close to her shoulder while his hand toying her pretty locks. You might be thinking I was like a nosy ahjumma, listening other people personal conversations. No, I was not eaves-dropping their convo but the couple, they were never trying to be secretive as well. They seated near my work station, where I have stand mostly during my working hours, in one corner of cinema waiting room. You may not believe me, but they were rarely disguised themselves in those funny and weird props. They seemed comfortable with the minimum disguises like hat or scarf and I swear if you see pictures with the girl wearing men’s shirt in public, all of them were his, for the guy wore some of the shirts when they were watching the movie together. It was brave and sweet on their side but I guess, in my personal point of you, they were taking the act to simply value their togetherness.

“I miss you too, oppa! Hyo eonni had to hug me to sleep the other night coz I couldn’t stop crying from missing you!”

Now I could imagine that little facial expression hearing that confession. His signature ‘cheek-bursting” smile shown and his eyes soft and corcerned. He would gently pulled the girl by the waist closer and said....

“Aigoo, my baby hyunnie loves me too much she was crying from missing me. Come here, let oppa make it up to you now. For those lonely nights you have to spent away from me!”

And the sweet moment will somehow broke into a silly fight not long after that. They would bickering and she usually started the fight with his health as the highlite.

“Oppa, If I found out you take non-decaf more than a cup in one single day again, I will.....!”

“What? What will you do to me, Hyun?”

“Are you testing me?”

“Are you threathening me?”

“Just telling that I’ll make you suffer and regret for testing on my nerve!”

“Tsk...you’re scary!”

“Tell me something I don’t know!”

They were usually quiet for awhile, seemed to be upset with each other. But it never stand for long either. They would quicky make up, usually with the girlfriend reached up to touch the guy’s hair lovingly, eyes full of concern, while softly saying....

“I said what I say simply because I care, Oppa! Because I love you. So much. And I could never stand just to imagine you sick for being reckless with your lifestyle. Especially when I was away and couldn’t take care of you!”

That would make the relented easilly. He would take her hands, held them tight on his and kiss them while saying in a gentle tone....

“I know you do! And I love you too. That is why I will always try to do my best in taking more decaf.  I’m learning to be more healthy, and it’s not easy to change your bad habits. You understand that right? So please...please baby, never giving up on me, okay?”

She would say “you know I never will” and leaned forward peck his cheek and the guy’s cheek would crazily bursting again, and it was hard not to peek and  smile even your toes all curled with the sweetness overload. And then I witnessed how everything else around them lost their meanings and the world gradually concealed as the two of them lost in their own little things again.

But as playful as they were, the couple could be serious too when they needed. There was one night they came with this unplayful aura and from what my ears caught, they got scolded by their agencies for being too reckless with their dating when they were in Japan. It happened long time a go when he was still wearing that blonde hair for his band new album that year. That resulted, according to my female co-workers, the rocker boy appeared not “in the mood” during his concert in Thailand, made the fans busy speculating that they were actually broke up.

He told her the next time they meet on our cinema that he was tired he said. For the fans to controlled his life, their lives like the never had the right to own one even for only a day. And the little bastard cried. It was huge for a man to cry. It was never easy for them just to be a normal human. There were these people called themselves fans, who thought they were have every right in controlling their idols, leaving them almost immediatelly when they were trapped by a scandal. Calling them liars, judging them like they were nothing but a piece of crap.

Sometimes I just wanted to scream for them. To defend them. To those judgemental people out there, with a narrow little mind, to open their mind and be fair, that they didn’t own those idols. They gave their best, sacrificing precious moments of their young lives to entertaint you. You said you love them, I think you not. That was not love. You were obsessed to those idols. Thinking you had a chance to be with them.

Anyway, it was only one problem I accidentally knew they needed to face, but they becoming stronger and stronger. Trust me.

I know what he did before he went to LA and sing on whatever baseball event he attended. He put on a beautiful ring with huge gorgeous diamond to her delicate forth finger.

YEP....ladies and gentlemen, they were engaged.

 

-------------------------------------------

 

Author's Note:

Hello. I am back again with an update. Sorry for taking so long since work becoming really demanding lately. But busy or not, I always have a certain portion to think about my lovely yongseo everyday. This is just the story. Maybe not the best one you read or not meeting your taste at all. But I write because I love my yongseo and it always makes me feel happy to imagine they are happy. Happy reading folks. Your comments as usual very much appreciated. Thank you - Dee

PS: Unedited as usual