THE NIGHT SHIFT - AHN HYERIM

THE NIGHT SHIFT

If you think that secret entrance or exits in places like hospitals were myth then maybe you need to trade your job with mine. Those things exist, for real. I swear. You might find it ridicilous but these kind of facilities allowing us to do our job and give our patients, the so called public figures and important people, the proper treatments they needed for whatever medical situation they were into.

Really, working in a night shift at ER were not the fanciest or easiest job you could find, especially when you were young and all you wanted to do was dolled yourself up, with the prettiest dresses available in stores and go clubbing with your friends instead of finding yourselves at the same place every single time, wearing the same one set simple cut attires where your name attached on it. Please don’t get me wrong, I was not going to complain about my job. I choose this profession since I could remember. I grew up understanding my mother’s job as a nurse, how she helped doctors saving people’s lives and in my simple perspective as a little girl, nurses are no less important as doctors. Heroes in their own way. And actually, the job has its own cool side too.  Think about it! Not everyone could be given a chance to help saving other’s lives in daily basis, right? And got paid too. And if you’re thinking that an ER full of nerdy looking doctors, you were completely, absolutely wrong. Of course not every doctor look as mouth watering as Dr. Doug Ross in that American famous TV series, but really good looking doctors were exist! They were real, flesh and blood. And one more thing, working in the ER gave you the privilege to witnessed people in their most uncomposed and honest states. Like this young couple I met on some random nights of my shifts at ER.

I had to say I was surprised to find that girl there, at the most unexpected place in town, at the most unexpected hours in a day, in the most unexpected state people could possibly seen from her. I didn’t have the luxury in spending my times so much watching TV or following the newest update of this country’s entertainment world, but I knew what I saw. I immediately recognized the girl as the youngest member of the ever famous girls group in the country and the guy was her onscreen husband, the front man of the newly debuted rock band.

I was on duty when they rushed the guy to ER almost midnight and all the girl was with him. She held the guy’s hand tight, looking so much like someone was robbing her soul away. She looked so different that night, unlike the usual calm and composed self she was on TV.  Instead she looked all miserable, eyes and face were red and puffy from too much crying. It was obvious she was worried over the guy’s condition and we needed to release his hand from her tight hold by force to give the guy the proper treatment he needed.

I learned the guy was fainting in the middle of filming their show and I understood her situation being shocked and scared over her “husband” unfortunate situation, she couldn’t stop crying and blaming people between sobs that he should not force to work under his unfit condition.  Two older men standing near her. The taller one seemed to be like her manager, tried his best to calm her down, while the chubby one, seemed to be like the guy’s manager standing quietly in the other side of the bed listening the taller man talking to his artist.  But whatever the taller man said seemed not to work. The girl kept on, scolding no one in particular about the young man’s condition. She didn’t mentioned any names but the chubby man knew, she was scolding his company. His big boss to be exact. The man who own the agency the girl “husband” registered as one of the talents.

“Don’t cry!”

“Don’t tell me not to cry!”

“Please...hyun! Don’t cry!”

“How can I not?”

“I’m fine!”

“How can you say that you’re fine, oppa? You’re not fine. If you are fine, you were not going to faint during the filming and the doctor wouldn’t say that you need an immediate surgery on your cord nodules or you could never sing ever again?”

“Don’t cry. Please.....! I promise I’ll be fine!”

I faintly heard the conversation when we finally let her see him. They talked between her sobs and his intense cough. I had to scold her twice not to make him talk much and she apologized accordingly, one hand still holding his tightly, and angrily wiped her tears away with her other hand from time to time.

“Please go home!”

“I’m not going anywhere, oppa!”

“Hyun-ah....please! You’re tired!”

“I’m not tired and I tell you oppa, I’m not going anywhere until your parents come to make sure they won’t force you to work like a dog under your current health condition!”

Her manager faking a cough to stop her from saying more things and I saw her glaring to the chubby man, made the latter slightly nervous.

“Please listen to me. Go home and rest!”

“I’m not listening!”

“Please stop being stubborn and go home!”

She was about to open again when he reached a hand and caressed her cheek with his finger.

“Please! I’ll be fine. I promise!”

The young man begged to the girl, showed her his puppy eyes. And it worked. The girl’s eyes immediately soften as she nodded.

“Okay, I’ll go home and rest! But oppa needs to promise to listen whatever doctor tells you to do to get well soon!”

“I promise!”

And they smiled to each other. The older men obviously tried not to blush watching the sweet acts of the young couple. I saw the girl again a few hours later when my shift ended - bowing politely when she saw me -looking all fresh and pretty, a big bag full of healthy stuffs in hand she believed would be good in helping him improving his medical condition. He was pale but looked very happy with all the sweet attention she was pouring him and smiled over her constant scolding.

I could clearly see that the young man was in love and he was not the only one. His parents and his chubby manager were among those who deeply fallen to the girl’s charm. She handed one plastic container full of sandwich and tall cup of juice to the chubby manager, sincerely apologized for her “rude” words, making his parents smile. No sane parents in the world would reject that kind of girl to be their future daughter in law and for the manager, a girl like that as his artist’s girlfriend would make his job a lot easier.

I understand there are many people out there, dying to know the real deal between these two. I could use my story for my own advantages against this young couple but I was sure that I will caused these two young hearts to be broken and made their lives miserable. I never been a celebrity but I did not need to be one to understand their situation. Being a nurse is all about helping doctors to save people’s lives and made sure they were back to their complete health under our care. So, I chose to respect them and help them keep their privacy intact. 

Nobody asked me to do this. Nobody paid me to keep my mouth shut and help them keep their little romance for themselves to enjoy. I was just back to my nature as a nurse. Helping people and making sure they were healthy under our care. Help this young couple keeping their privacy somewhat I believed made them happy. And I believe when people are happy they will be healthy. And I am willing to do it for them and to other celebrity couples I met on the ER.

Of course, if you don't believe me and wanted to check if my story true or not, you are welcome to pay a visit to my work place. You can pretending to be sick at night and go directly to the ER of one of Korea’s best university’s hospital in Seoul. You probably see me and the other nurses running around in our simple cutted white attires with our names attached on it, helping the  familiar faces you might only got to see on TV. The funnier hour you chose to come, the bussier we are getting and chance is bigger to see those familiar faces in their most honest and total unguarded situations.

I must say some fans have tried. But I don't recommend the move to be followed by others. It's not nice. 

Well, in a fan point of view, I know its tempting to see your idols in flesh. Even in thir unfortunate medical situation those famous faces still able to steal your breath away.  But if you call yourself a truly dedicated fan to these entertainers, who sacrifice a lot of things to keep you happy, you will let them enjoy their privacy  when they are unwell since like any other normal humans, they only visiting places like ER when they were really need to, to get better from whatever medical situation they were into, and immediately back to whatever schedules they appointed to. To entertain you, their loyal fans again, as soon as possible.

 

---------------------------------------

 

Author's note:

Hello, I'm back with an update. Dunno if its good enough for you or not. Busy times at work and hardly find the time to write. Happy ready......