Intermission I

Maroon Destruction
Please log in to read the full chapter

The wind is strong against me from where I stand. The horizon of grey is stretched in front of me until it melts into thick mist to become one with the darkening sky. My feet have taken me on a hill high enough for me to look at every direction and take in the burned and the broken and the ruins that have been left behind. Buildings have already started to give in to time and the leftovers are so much worn.

The silence is sickening and it’s been like this for so long. I remember the last bodies that were scattered on the streets before time ate them as well. Now, it was clean off the terrible smell. Once, the same streets were full of death. Now only a couple dogs wander around before they leave the city as well in search of food. Bone-thin and wild, I have seen them. Nothing but snarling aggressive predators; nothing alike the companion pets they once were.

On the other hand, weeds and trees have made their way through the concrete and grow fast. The abandoned city is decorated with grass, giving green of life to the grey canvas it has become. Nature grows again, born from its own ashes, between glass and fallen pieces of walls and trash. Unstoppable; much like myself.

I shut my eyes close, welcoming the strong breeze against my face. My short hair wave along with it and I wonder how long it’s been since I cut them. One month? Two? A year, maybe? My memories have been erased, that much I know for sure; he has told me.

The world is d

Please log in to read the full chapter