Chapter Two

Maroon Destruction
Please log in to read the full chapter

A/N: Surprise update~! ^^ Do enjoy~ ^^

That night proved to be a very, very long one.

Chaerin sat in an armchair in the living room, eyes pinned on the two males sitting on the couch who sipped slowly on the tea she’d made them. It had been just a couple hours since she calmed down the slightest, accepted the duo into her house as guests and not thieves, yet the mistrust never actually faded.

The offer was left hanging— “Give me a day to think it through”— and even if she hadn’t accepted anything, Suho had already thanked her numerous times just for thinking it through. Kai, though, had stayed with an unreadable expression, his dark eyes often glancing back with something she could not identify, and, frankly, she preferred to have one to deal with than two. Suho was more than enough for her already.

The groceries were long ago put in their places and one coffee after the encounter, Chaerin considered making another one, seeing how she didn’t want to even blink an eye around them—that much trust she had towards them. It was already so much that she had let them stay in her apartment. Sleeping while they were there would just be her playing with her luck.

So she had sat in the armchair with her eyes digging holes through Suho’s form, searching for just what exactly made him look so familiar. Ex-friend, as he had called himself. But where was he the past five years after she finally woke up? Was he really a friend of hers when he appeared years after with not as much as a warning? Breaking into her home and waiting for her only to put another person to hold her in place so he could talk to her? What kind of friend exactly would do something like that?

And then, there was also Kai.

Her eyes fell on the other male, her stare only narrowing at him in suspicion. He hadn’t talked much after their first encounter, if at all. He’d been sitting quietly, his eyes avoiding her and at the same time drifting her way so often. He had also found some kind of amusement in the cup she served him tea in and had been twirling it in his hands for at least the past half hour. Chaerin wasn’t even sure what to think of him; he was as good as any stranger to her. Yet, he also carried something familiar to him, maybe not as evident as Suho’s, which made her question everything. While Suho’s name was more familiar, Kai’s touch was what made her body almost swoon to him.

Strange and all the more freaky, Chaerin couldn’t really explain how and why that happened.

“You should get some rest,” Suho said softly, concern flashing in his eyes as he took in her form. The blonde girl’s eyes had been drooping numerous times the past hour and it wasn’t that unexpected—it was past three in the morning and she’d been up since five the previous day. When Chaerin looked at him like he was crazy, Suho showed a thin smile. “We won’t do anything to you. Or the house,” he added as an after-thought and Chaerin’s eyes narrowed even more, if that was possible.

“How can I trust you two when the only thing I know about you are your names?” She hissed with a scowl and it was the first time in a long while—ever since that spark of hurt she’d seen on his face—Kai showed an emotion; slight annoyance.

“I told you,” Kai’s head snapped at Suho, eyes below a deep frown, “we should have just tied her up and taken her by force away from here.”

Suho’s eyes widened, much like Chaerin’s glare directed at Kai at the same moment, and he glanced at him in exaggerated surprise as if he had blurted something impossible. Maybe they could have been planning in kidnapping me, all along. “You know that’s not the right way to do this. We sh—“

“Then tell me what’s the right one!” Kai countered, voice getting louder by the word. “Because I don’t see this working at all.”

“What do you expect?” It was evident Suho was trying to keep his calm—he spoke through his teeth now. “Her memories won’t just come back to her in a day!”

Chaerin scowled again, huffing at the two. They were once again talking about her like they actually knew her. Two strangers; Chaerin reminded herself. They acted as if they knew what was exactly up and that annoyed her beyond infinity. She didn’t think they were even allowed to make assumptions about her, even if they claimed themselves to be some kind of old, lost friends of hers. It made no sense to hear two people she’d never seen before in her life talk about her like this.

“Stop talking like I’m not here!” Chaerin snapped, gridding her teeth in anger. This was too much.

Kai, much to her surprise, kept his mouth shut, his body leaning back into the couch and eyes averted at some wall. Suho, though, looked at her with a warm gaze.

“I’m sorry,” he started, sighing. “Please, trust us. We would never hurt someone as precious as you.”

If Chaerin felt strange about them before, now it was ten-fold. She wasn’t even sure how to react, when, although sincere, his words were feeding her doubts. “Then give me a reason to trust you,” she retorted, trying to keep her voice steady even if Suho’s last sentence swam around her mind.

“Alright.” Suho took in a sharp breath though his teeth, his eyes traveling about the room before he glanced back at her. “You were born on fourteenth of July, twenty-three years ago. You don’t have a father and your mother died when you were less than a year old. You didn’t go to school and you didn’t have anyone until you were fifteen. That’s when you met me and a couple others.”

Chaerin’s eyes narrowed as she stared at the brunette who seemed to be more than sure of his words. However, she kept her face expressionless without giving away her want to mock him. Everything Suho had just said were lies made up by him. The only correct thing was her age and date of birth, but everything else was lies. As much she wasn’t sure whether or not she had attended school or actually met Suho and anyone else when she was fifteen, she knew as a fact that she had parents. They were just away, traveling the world and had left her with her grandmother. And Suho hadn’t even mentioned her late grandmother, which made everything all the more made up assumptions.

Liar. Your lies gave away everything.

“Deng,” Chaerin copied the sound of a failed answer, a smirk on her face for catching the other so easily. “You got everything wrong.”

Suho, however, kept staring at her with the same gentle eyes. “I know as a fact that I haven’t gotten it wrong.”

“And I know, as a fact, that I have parents,” Chaerin scoffed, rolling her eyes at his failed attempts. “You should have thought of a more possible story, this is just plain fiction.”

Suho sighed almost tiredly. “Do I have to reveal more for you to believe me?”

“You didn’t reveal anything. You made things up,” Chaerin corrected and at that very second, Kai growled lowly.

“You have a birthmark on your forearm in the shape of a cross. It’s just a shade lighter than your skin and can be seen only from a close proximity. The lines look like slightly deep cuts, but they are not.”

Chaerin huffed, a smirk still playing on her lips, and she rolled her eyes at him. Kai, though, frowned and in a second he was right in front of her, startling her and, without allowing her any time to precede what had happened and just how fast he’d gotten close to her, grabbed on her hand and pushed back her sleeve. The grip on her was harsh—yet just as gentle—and he shoved the hand up for her to look.

“This.”

But she wasn’t looking. Chaerin knew her body and she was aware of that one questionable birthmark because, after all, it was hers. She just refused to accept the fact that someone unknown knew of a detail so small when all she did was hide it from eyes because, frankly, it looked like cuts and people would assume she self-harmed. She knew as a fact they would assume something like that. But to have a stranger point it out as easily as that, as if it was natural, it made her stomach turn upside down and bile reach . She was scared. He shouldn’t have known that.

The familiarity of his touch didn’t help either and her skin burned under his grip with something very vague that she could not pin-point or name.

Chaerin jerked her hand away—and Kai let her—and glared up at the young male with what anger she had. “How the hell did you know about that, stalker?!”

Kai huffed, his tongue clicking against his front teeth. “You wanted proof that you know us. Here it is,” A hint of a smile played on his lips. “If you want more proof, I can describe every single patch of your skin, if that’ll convince you enough.”

Chaerin was left speechless, her eyes wide and confused. She wasn’t sure just how exactly he could know her that well and it scared her. There was no way he had noticed it while he was here so that narrowed everything to two possibilities; it was either that he had stalked her very closely the past days, weeks, or that they actually were very close before the incident. She wasn’t sure which she would prefer, if she was put to choose.

Chaerin’s eyes kept glaring up at K

Please log in to read the full chapter