Chapter Three: Great Expectations

Safekeeping

Chapter 3: Great Expectations

http://d3j5vwomefv46c.cloudfront.net/photos/large/790730808.gif?1373887264

curlyline.gif

 

        There was something wrong with him.


        You glanced at Luhan half-heartedly, sensing a feeling of anxiety within him. He did not know out of everyone in the classroom whom he was looking for, and nor did he pay attention. Something filled his head that he couldn't get rid of. You breathed restlessly and looked back to the blackboard, not noticing Kai's mischievous look on his face, as he noticed the direction your eyes were on before.


        This is the warrior, the new comer you've sent me, after all this time you've made me suffer by leaving you and deceiving those ones around me? Your fingers gripped tightly together, irritation rising inside you. You've held great expectations for this mysterious figure, this one who would eventually be trained to become the greatest warrior your pack would ever have known. And Luhan, what was he? No more than a green, little, pretty boy who cares only for the pretty face of your best friend. Kris where are you? Your head searched for answers that could not be given, Kris please, tell me what to do...and from these deep thoughts, that night flashed by your eyes, as though it were just yesterday...


        "Be the normal girl you would have been," his voice muttered in the darkness, "show no strangeness to differ yourself from the crowd. Act mortal, as though you are truly one of them." His hands moved by his side, and towards you, he stepped into the dim light under the empty street where not a single soul walked. 


        His fingers lingered by your wrist, where your mark shined blue briefly.


        "Must I leave you?" releasing your arm from his hand, she grasped to his fingers inside your hold.


        His expression froze, and lower he looked down to the ground, avoiding to have to answer the question. "You are born with the blood, long before I've marked you. The day will come when you grow stronger, perhaps stronger than what I will ever be."


        You nodded once more, sniffing in the scent of him which you longed to remember for the days that the two of them shall be apart from each other. "Kris...don't be afraid, I know how to manage myself. And if wait I must, then I will, until my purpose is achieved."


        "I will not question you ________," he mumbled lowly, "because I know that you have trust in me."


        "More than I have for anyone," you added without hesitation, your eyes showing the greatest determination. "And never mention that name again. Like you said, after I leave you, I will start with a new identity. I won't  be ________ anymore...call me Celeste."


        He raised his eyes, and again, he avoided your request. "Keep your patience. When the time is right, you will know who it is. I will find the one fitting of this worthy task and send him to your side. By then, your powers may have grown, you may by then know how to use your gift for good, and he will be your responsibility to care for and guide. Even though I am afraid that I still don't know who he is, I know that he will be a strong one, one to protect us and our kind. Just wait...wait for the day I send him to you."


        "Celeste...Celeste? Celeste!"


        Startled by Kai's voice growing louder after each call, you turned to him, while Chen, Lay, Xiumin and D.O around your desk stared curiously at you. You looked to them in confusion, shaking your head a little as though you had barely gotten back to reality. "What happened?" Kai began to wonder, "Your were just staring blankly into one spot for the whole entire lesson..."


        "This doesn't have to do with the new kid does it?" Xiumin gestured you to squeeze in further, as he came to share your chair with you. You looked up suddenly at him in surprise, "Luhan? Of course not, where did that come from?"


        "Well, Kai said he caught you shooting him small looks during class," Kyungsoo answered straightforwardly, bringing himself to sit over your table. Lay to the side moved his hands a little, not making a sound as he remained the jpg he was, his head kept low. "And you remembered his name after just one class?" Chen teased playfully, a naughty smile forming over his face.


        You sighed in annoyance, not at your friends, but over all the things that were on your mind. "It's not like what you think. There's just something strange about him, I don't know what is..."


        "Or might as well be that you're finally noticing a boy and you see something special in him," Xiumin smiled innocently, his hand brushing your shoulder in an encouraging manner. You tensioned up a little, your eyes glancing helplessly for the only one who didn't yet make a comment for help - Lay. However, he only looked back at you briefly, and kept his silence.

celtic-knot-band-tattoo-design.png
 
        This was school, a place for him to concentrate...perhaps calm down, and settle down before he learns to do all that is expected of him. Luhan strolled out to the halls from the stuffed classroom, his nose filled with the scents of hundreds of strangers. His power was still weak. Despite how hard he tried, he could not recognize which among them all was to be his guardian, his guide. Now was not the time to be distracted...yet he was, he was so deeply distracted,  as he becomes utterly restless every time he would lay eyes upon the girl he had encountered that night. What would she say and tell, if she were to speak of him with any other? His thoughts halted inside him, as he became all of the sudden breathless, when he noticed her stepping out the doorway. Her smile was sweet and pretty, making Luhan not able to control his own grin. Yet that joy faded, when he noticed the boy who laid an arm over her - Kai.

        "Is everything all right?" his back tensioned into a state of rock hard, as he felt the fingers touch his shoulder. Not moving his body, he ly his eyes to see a still not familiar face. "Yes." He answered dully.

        "I'm glad," you smiled relaxingly, your eyes digging into his as you tried to search for a hint of strength through his softness. This was no warrior. "But my head tells me otherwise, perhaps that you and Minhye have met somewhere before."

        "You're over thinking," Luhan tried to keep his tone cool, "this is my first time in town, I don't know and have never met anyone here."

        You smiled, not showing the suspicion that still remained in you. "Yet you cannot take your eyes off her..." barely finishing your own sentence, you broke the tension with a small chuckle. "Come on now, don't be all that nervous. I'm not going to eat you." You gestured for him to turn around. He silently obeyed, yet did so slowly. At last, him being alert was not without reason. Your fingers over his shoulder quickly lowered and grabbed onto his wrist. You clenched him hard under your grasp, and together the marks on his and your hand shined in unison.

        Luhan had barely the time to react, as he gazed at you in pure astonishment. You released his hand quickly as Kai and Minhye to the other side of the aisle glanced to you two briefly. "You react too slowly for being one of us," you whispered flatly, your eyes falling into an abyss.

        "You were the one he was talking about," Luhan was still in disbelief, his complexion as pale as he silver hair. "He said someone would be here, for me, but he never told me what to look for."