Chapter 7

The Murder Game

Kyung knew he had to get to the bottom of this before anyone else figured out what was happening. If Jiho had succeeded here, could it be possible that he had also killed the previous target? When the reporter said he’d been poisoned, could it have been the same technique?

“It’s me, Jaehyo. You did a good job on your last assignment. The method was ingenious. How did you think of it?”

“Jaehyo…but I…I didn’t…”

“I called to let you know that you’ve earned yourself a week’s break. Enjoy yourself, and I’ll wire you your payment today. The boss is also really happy with you”.

Jaehyo had hung up before Kyung could explain what had happened. This way, he had a week’s time to find Jiho and demand an explanation before he got found out. The only problem here was the fact that he had absolutely no idea where to find him. The only chance he had was to book a train ticket to his hometown and to just look around if anyone from Jiho’s family still lived there. He knew it wasn’t going to be easy at all, however, it had to be done. He reached the place and started making his way to Jiho’s house. Luckily for him, Jiho’s mother opened the door.

“Mrs. Woo, you may not remember me, but I used to live here years ago”

“Park Kyung, how could I forget you? Oh my, how you’ve grown! I remember the old days when you and Jiho used to be inseparable”.

“Actually, that’s why I’m here. I’ve come to see Jiho”.

“I’m sorry, dear. He moved to the city a long time ago, but comes home every weekend”.

“Thank you, Mrs. Woo. I’ll visit you tomorrow then, as he would be here as well”.

 

Feeling a little upset, Kyung rented a room in one of the guest houses for that night. He couldn’t sleep a wink as his thoughts were full of what would happen if anyone found out what Jiho had been doing. Killing people was one thing, but using his technique? That was a surefire way to land both of them into hot water. The next day, he headed over to Jiho’s house after breakfast. The door was slightly ajar, and Mrs. Woo was nowhere to be found. Kyung walked inside to find a blonde man sitting at the computer. It had been more than 10 years since they’d last met, and Kyung felt quite overcome with his feelings of nostalgia.

“Woo Jiho, long time no see. How have you been?”

The blonde man turned around, and Kyung’s heart started beating faster once he’d got a good look at him.

“You! What are you doing here?”

“It took you a while to find me, Park Kyung. Although I must admit that I didn’t recognize you at first either”.

“You lied to me. You told me your name was Zico”.

“That’s how I’m known in the city”.

Kyung’s mind was a blur. His head was filled with so many questions, that he didn’t even know where to start from.

“Jiho. I mean, Zico..what do you do?”

“Haven’t you figured it out yet?”

“Why the hell did you kill my target using my technique?’

“Mr. Yoo was my target, not yours”.

What on earth was happening? Jiho was Zico, and he was an assassin too. To top it all off, they had both been given the exact same target. It wasn’t easy to think clearly when his blood was boiling.

“What the hell did you do? Are you trying to get me into trouble? Well, you’ve won whatever it is that you want. Just stay the hell away from me”.

“You don’t have to leave, Kyung. You could spend the night here”.

“I’m done with you. Just stay out of my life”.

Kyung stormed out and took a train back home, but he still felt a nagging feeling. Why were they both given the same target? Was it possible that Zico was working for their rival? There was only one way to find out.

“Jaehyo, it’s me, Kyung. I need some information. What do you know about a guy named Zico?’

***********************************************************

“Mr. Lee, he has started asking questions. Do you think it’s time?

“No, Jaehyo. Let’s wait and watch the fun for a little while longer”