Chapter 17: The Visual

The Comet Project

Chapter 17

 

            Though it was the laziest part of the afternoon, that classic time for napping or daydreaming, Minjin and Hyekyeong found themselves standing outside the Chrome Entertainment practice room, eager for what was happening inside.  The Captain had installed large windows so that anyone could look into the practice room at any time.  They excitedly watched as a potential new trainee auditioned to join their vital new mission.

            Besides the potential trainee and the Captain inside the room, there was another man with long, frizzy hair that seemed truly untamable.  He was taller than anyone Minjin had seen before, yet his presence wasn’t particularly intimidating.  He carefully watched the young woman dance, and his body twitched as if he desperately wanted to join in on the choreography. 

            The girl auditioning was taller than Minjin and Hyekyeong, and her body was perfectly proportional in every way.  Though her face was hard to watch as she danced, Minjin remembered from even a quick glance that her eyes reminded her of an adorable lost puppy; she seemed charming, but something sad gleamed in her gaze.

            “She’s really good,” Hyekyeong whispered as the Beyonce song continued to play.

            Minjin peeked over at Hyekyeong and noticed that her body was tense like a threatened animal.  Hyekyeong wasn’t a jealous person, and she never strived to be superior to anyone.  But she had always been the ulzzang, the superstar, the beloved Fairy.  The thought of suddenly sharing the attention with four other people wasn’t appalling to her, but it was different, and that gave her a mysterious, uneasy feeling.

            “I think she’s better than both of us,” Minjin smirked, feeding into Hyekyeong’s apprehension.  “The Captain will pick her, right?”

            “I don’t know,” Hyekyeong sighed.  “The other three girls didn’t pass the audition, and at least they had some martial arts training.  This girl can only dance.”

            “Do you know who that guy in there is?” Minjin asked.

            “I’m pretty sure that’s the Captain’s choreographer friend, Ah Ba,” Hyekyeong said.  “From the description he gave me, that’s probably him.”

            “It looks like he’s this girl’s trainer.  Maybe he’s taught her martial arts as well.”

            As the song ended, Minjin and Hyekyeong listened carefully for the Captain’s feedback.

            “Minyoung, that was really amazing,” the Captain told enthusiastically.  “You’re definitely very gifted.  I think you have a place in the music industry.”

            Minyoung wiped the sweaty hair from her forehead as her sad puppy eyes returned.  “In…the music industry?”

            “Yes…in the music industry…somewhere.”

            “But not here?” Ah Ba questioned, stepping forward.  “Are you serious, Hyunchang?”

            “Calm down, Ah Ba, this isn’t your audition,” the Captain sighed.

            The corners of Minyoung’s lips began to fall, and her chin started to tremble.  Minjin and Hyekyeong were startled when they accidentally locked gazes with her watery eyes.  Both of them quickly made fists and held them out in front of them while whispering the word “fighting.”

            “Hyunchang, I told you, I’ve given her self-defense lessons so she could walk home safely at night,” Ah Ba argued.  “She’s dedicated to and capable of learning anything you teach her.”

            “It’s okay, oppa,” Minyoung said shakily, looking down at the floor.  “My dancing just isn’t good enough.”

            “No, Minyoung-ah, your dancing is fantastic,” the Captain insisted.  “Really, it is.  I just…Okay, well, before I make any decisions, let’s do your singing audition.  How does that sound?”

            Ah Ba’s eyes opened wide.  “Actually, Hyunchang, we don’t really need to do that-”

            “This isn’t your audition, Ah Ba,” the Captain grumbled.  “Minyoung-ah, which track is for your singing audition?”

            “Is that what’s going to determine whether I pass or not?” Minyoung asked, a horrified look on her face.

            “Not necessarily, but I’d like to hear your singing abilities.”

            Minyoung looked as if the Captain had just asked her to commit a crime.  She took a deep, trembling breath and looked down at the ground again.  “It’s track two.”

            After the Captain pressed play, a quiet, gentle band began to play.  Minjin immediately recognized the ballad, as it was a classic from a few years ago.  It was a simple ballad with a pretty melody, but Minyoung still looked terrified.

            “Love hurts me again…love makes me cry-”  Minyoung’s soft voice disappeared as she swallowed her tears.  “…again…love…love…

            “Love leaves me, telling me to forget all the loved memories.”  Everyone looked in confusion at Minjin, who had quietly stepped into the room.  She only smiled reassuringly at Minyoung before stepping toward her.  As the next set of words approached, Minjin quietly slipped behind Minyoung and put her hands on her shoulders.

            “Keep singing,” she whispered.

            As Minjin and Minyoung began to sing the next verse together, Minjin’s voice was the only one that could be heard clearly.  Though it wasn’t her voice filling the room, Minyoung gained confidence, and she started to sing with emotion.

            “Will I really be fine?” Minjin sang, patting Minyoung on the shoulder supportively.  “You will be,” she whispered in between lines.

            The song continued, and Minyoung showed more and more confidence with every line.  She performed like a true professional, even without using her own voice.  The Captain and Ah Ba stared in awe, but Hyekyeong gave a happy grin instead.

            When the song ended, Minjin kept her hands on Minyoung’s shoulders, already feeling the tenseness return.  Both of them waited nervously for the Captain’s response, as if Minjin had just auditioned for herself as well.

            “Well…I suppose lip-syncing is a realistic quality that idols should have,” the Captain admitted reluctantly.

            “Listen, Hyunchang, maybe singing isn’t her strongest point,” Ah Ba confessed.  “But you just saw, she can perform.  She can give it her all on stage.  You won’t be disappointed by her.  She’s a hard worker.”

            The Captain wandered over to Minyoung and looked into her anxious eyes.  He stared into them for a few moments, appearing as the military Captain that he truly was.  “Kim Minyoung.  Are you a hard worker?  Will you really give all you have to this company?  To this mission?

            “I…I will, Sir.  I really will.”

            “Captain, listen up,” Hyekyeong requested suddenly, skipping into the room and gesturing toward Minyoung.  “Even if her dancing skills weren’t amazing, how could you even consider passing up this face?  This beautiful face.  This is the face of an idol.”

            Minjin felt Minyoung’s shoulders twitch uncomfortably.  “Face of an idol?  I…I don’t have the face of an idol.”

            Hyekyeong gave a threatening glare.  “Well, Captain, maybe you were right about her.  I don’t think liars should be a part of this mission.”

            “I-What?” Minyoung exclaimed.  Minjin finally stepped beside Hyekyeong and looked at Minyoung’s face, which was burning red.  “I’m not lying, I mean, I don’t think I have the face of an idol.”

            “Ah, she’s just humble,” Hyekyeong sighed in mock relief.  “That’s fine.  She can join.  We ought to have a special induction party, don’t you think?  I’ll go order some chicken.”

            “You’re already using her as a tactic to get food?” the Captain asked in shock.

            “She does it to us all,” Minjin smiled.

            “Welcome to the team, Minyoung…unnie?” Hyekyeong said hesitantly.  “What’s your birthday?”

            “April 2, 1990,” Minyoung stated, her eyes filled with surprise.

            “I’ll order some chicken for you, unnie,” Hyekyeong beamed, quickly leaving the room.

            “She’s the vice president of this company, it seems,” the Captain chuckled uneasily.  “Well, Minyoung, if you’re really dedicated to working hard, I’ll give you a chance.  Minjin, would you brief Minyoung on the details of the mission?”

            “Sure, Captain.”

            Minjin wrapped her arm around Minyoung’s and dragged her out of the room.  Minyoung seemed paralyzed by astonishment and joy.

            “Am I really going to be in this group?” Minyoung asked excitedly.

            “You are,” Minjin grinned.  “Well, actually, did anyone tell you anything about this mission?”

            “Ah Ba told me that Mr. Hwang, the man you call Captain, wants to create a girl group with martial arts training,” Minyoung explained, still out of breath.  “But he assured me that the martial arts would never be used.”  Minyoung leaned closer to Minjin’s ear.  “And he told me that Mr. Hwang was a little crazy.”

            Whether or not the prophecy was true, Minjin was sure Minyoung was risking her life by even being in her presence.  She considered quickly convincing her to leave the company and never come back.  She pondered whether or not she should leave first and let Minyoung and Hyekyeong be safe without her.  For a moment, during the audition, Minjin imagined being a normal idol with no secrets or special training.  But that simply couldn’t ever be the case.

            “What’s your name?” Minyoung suddenly asked.

            “Me?  My name is Heo Minjin,” she replied.  “I’m a few months your junior.”

            “It’s nice to formally meet you,” Minyoung smiled, giving a bow.  “Thanks for saving my audition back there.”

            “Ah, well, you were great on your own.”

            “Thanks…”

            They stood in the hall in silence as Minyoung began to stare into space.  Minjin looked up at her and squinted her eyes.

            “Unnie, what’s wrong?”

            “I really never thought someone would think I was good enough for something like this.”  Minyoung’s voice trembled, and she rubbed her teary eyes like a sleepy child.

            “Aw, unnie, don’t ever think like that again,” Minjin instructed ardently.  “From now on, Hyekyeong and I will be right behind you whenever you need us.”

            “I think I’ll be behind you guys,” Minyoung chuckled bashfully.

            “Are you kidding me?  Minyoung-unnie, trust me.  You’re going to be the visual.  Now, let me tell you about a little something called The Prophecy.”

Author's Note: This is such a short, quick chapter, I'm sorry. hahahaha, but welcome Ellin!! Next is Geummi. Let me know if there's anything you wondered about Geummi's audition chapter in "Jumping To The Rescue". I want to answer any questions in the next chapter. The song Ellin sings is "Haru" by Kim Bumsoo.