Chapter 15: The Captain

The Comet Project

Chapter 15

 

Four years later…

 

            It had been nearly a month since Minjin last visited this room.  The room itself had become nearly unbearable to be in.  It felt like a tomb.  In the evening, it was lit only by a dim lamp on the bedside table.  It flickered like a candle in a church, a candle in the midst of a solemn, cheerless vigil meant for the fallen soldier beside it. 

            Youngbin rested in his hospital bed just as he always did.  His face hardly seemed to age, but a light layer of facial hair made him appear a bit older.  Minjin stepped closer to his bed and observed the yellow flowers on his bedside table that Soomin had surely brought earlier in the week.  They were limp and dying, and Minjin found their appearance particularly disturbing.

            She sat next to his bed and began to reach for his hand.  But something about the room, his appearance, even the sound of his peaceful breathing suddenly stole her energy away, and her hand dropped helplessly onto the bed just beside his lifeless fingers.

            “I don’t know why I came tonight, oppa,” she started quietly, looking down at her own hand.  “The last time I came…I feel like I almost promised myself I would never come back again.  It’s selfish of me…but it hurts too much to see you like this.”

            She took a deep breath and leaned back in her chair.  As she looked up at his face and observed his comatose state, frustration overwhelmed her.  She thought of her sister, Soomin, and all they had endured together in order to reach this sad, hopeless life they lived. 

            “Minseon was arrested last night,” she finally told, giving a weary sigh.  “She started harassing some couple in the street as she was walking back to her dorm.  Her blood alcohol level was ridiculously high.  Soomin unnie came and got her out right away, but it was still so shocking.  I think she was coming back from one of her gigs.  That band of hers is actually pretty fantastic.  Minseon-ah writes songs straight from the heart.  They often make me cry.”

            Minjin stared at Youngbin, wondering why she was talking so freely to a man in a coma.  There was no guarantee that he heard her.  And there was absolutely no guarantee that he would ever wake up to respond to anything she told him.  But, every time she visited, she would talk to him just as if he was visiting her and Minseon back in their dorm at The Comet Academy.

            “Minseon recently got a pretty stable job at a department store,” she continued.  “And she tells me that her band is recording music to release soon.  Maybe things will turn out well for her.  But…for me…”  She rubbed her right wrist nervously and tried to fight her sudden tears.  “I was cooking this morning, cutting vegetables, you know…I began to wonder what would happen if I accidently cut myself.  Not my finger…but my wrist.  And if I did, would I even care to do anything about it?  Maybe I could sit down and watch the blood pour out.  The memories would slowly fade away from me…”

            Her eyes filled with anger as she looked up at his sleeping face again.  “It’s not fair, oppa!  Maybe your physical injuries are more severe, and maybe you’ll never wake up from this coma, but why do you get to escape the memories?  Why do you have the privilege of sleeping through the rest of your life, never having to relive the horrors we went through?  Minseon still has nightmares of Professor Oh at least once a week.  Now we know what he was and what he wanted, and that makes him even more terrifying.  She’s tried to fall in love so many times, but that single memory, that one, monstrous man has sabotaged her love forever!

            “And how many people have you killed, oppa?  All you did was wander the halls of the Academy and occasionally visit us for a chat.  But we had to fight people.  Every day was another hundred men to incapacitate.  And for Minseon, two of those men ended up dead.  It wasn’t even her fault.  It was the General’s fault, I know.  But it doesn’t change the fact that it happened.  Minseon never talks to me about it.  I’m worried if she feels the same way I do.  I can see the look on Soomin’s face.  It’s as if she just wonders which one of us will kill ourselves first.”

            “You’re in a lot of pain, Minjin.”

            The numbness in Minjin’s heart paralyzed her hyper-defensive reactions.  She merely turned her head to see the stranger in the door.  He stared at her with a soft expression.  His dark brown trench coat and long beige scarf looked heavy on his small frame, yet he stood strong and confident with his hands in his pockets. 

            “Who are you?” Minjin asked, not bothering to wipe the tears from her eyes.

            “My name is Hwang Hyunchang,” the stranger informed, giving a small smirk.  “I trained with Youngbin back in the day.”

            “And you were lucky enough to not be stationed where he was?”  Minjin rose from her seat and tried to plan her escape.

            “And where exactly was he stationed?” Hyunchang questioned curiously.  “Tell me his story.”

            Minjin fidgeted anxiously as Hyunchang blocked her only method of exit.  She wasn’t supposed to tell anyone about the Comet Project, not even military personnel.  Soomin was always quite stern about this command.  Minjin could almost hear her heels clicking just outside the door.

            “Captain Hwang?”

            To Minjin’s astonishment, Soomin suddenly walked up behind Hyunchang.  She seemed to know the man, but she was definitely surprised to see him there.  Hyunchang quickly moved for her to enter the room, and Soomin walked over to Minjin, holding a fresh bouquet of yellow flowers.

            “Good evening, Ms. Ko,” Hyunchang greeted amiably.  “It’s good to see you again.”

            “I don’t…When we spoke earlier this week, did you really plan to move so fast with your idea?”

            “According to Minjin’s monologue I overheard a few moments ago, I do believe sooner may be better,” he replied gravely.

            “You were listening to everything I said?” Minjin exclaimed angrily.  “You can’t do that-”

            “Minjin-ah, calm down.  Ah, these tears.”  Soomin tenderly used her sleeve to wipe the tears from Minjin’s cheeks.  “Captain Hwang…you could have asked me to accompany you.  I’d rather you not approach them in this way.”

            “You always come during this time on Sundays to change the flowers,” Hyunchang started apologetically.  “I was hoping to speak to you again, but I ran into Minjin instead.”

            “Oh, I see…”  Soomin still stood by Minjin like a mother hen, holding onto her arm with her free hand.  “Well…maybe now isn’t the best time.”

            “I think now has been the best time for a while,” he admitted shamelessly.

            As the two women stood there anxiously, Hyunchang walked over to the flower vase and took the dying flowers out.  “Why don’t we all just sit down and talk.”

            “I…I don’t know about that,” Soomin told, reluctantly letting him take the fresh bouquet from her hands.  He placed the new flowers in the vase and threw the old ones away.  As he began to arrange the new flowers, he smiled at Youngbin.

            “He’s a really brave man,” he whispered.  “This is his toughest battle yet, I suppose.”

            “I suppose it is,” Soomin sighed.

            “It was your father who did this, yes?”

            Both Soomin and Minjin froze, both for different reasons.  Though Soomin seemed bothered by simply the memory of her father shooting Youngbin, Minjin couldn’t understand how this man could know about it at all.

            “He knows,” Minjin said suddenly.  “How does he know, unnie?”

            Soomin took a deep breath and squeezed Minjin’s arm.  “Captain Hwang has the topmost clearance with the military.  He’s aware of everything concerning the Comet Project.”

            “It’s true, Minjin,” Hyunchang confirmed quickly, now adjusting Youngbin’s pillow.  “I’m aware of everything you and your sister went through at the Comet Project.  Ms. Ko kept incredibly precise documentation of the crimes that were committed against you, in hopes of using it as evidence against her father later on.”

            “Whatever you read on paper, it wasn’t enough to describe everything we endured,” Minjin assured crossly.  “What’s on paper…it stays in paper.  What we went through is still in our minds.  It still haunts us every day.”

            “Is that why your sister attacked that couple on the street last night?” he asked with little emotion.

            “She didn’t…attack them,” Minjin insisted hesitantly.  “She just yelled at them.”

            “That’s not what she intended to do,” Hyunchang smirked, unwrapping the scarf from his neck.  “In fact, she was running towards them with an empty beer soju bottle before I intervened.”

            “You…stopped her?”

            “She was only able to yell at them from where I was holding her back.  Unfortauntely, the couple felt threatened and called the police.  I knew Minseon wouldn’t face any charges because of the government’s promise to the both of you, but I knew she would eventually regret hurting those people once she got sober in the morning.”

            “Why would you intervene like that?” Minjin questioned.  “Why would you be there in the first place?”

            “Minjin-ah…Captain Hwang has volunteered to help you two in any way he can these past few months,” Soomin informed.  “He says he might have a project you would be interested in.”

            “A project?”  Minjin looked at both Soomin and Hyunchang in horror.  “What kind of project?  A government project?  Like the Comet Project?  Unnie, why do you want to sell us out again?”

            “Minjin-ah, it’s not like the Comet Project,” Soomin reassured earnestly.  “Not at all.”

            “That you are happy now, this is what I will send to you.

            Minjin and Soomin looked up at Hyunchang in confusion.  His nervous eyes let them know he understood now unpleasant his singing voice was.  But he cleared his throat to continue.

            “To this person, you should be just as happy as how many tears I shed.

            “That song…”

            “You used to sing it with Youngbin, correct?” Hyunchang grinned.  “How did I do?”

            Even through all her frustration and confusion, Minjin couldn’t help but chuckle at the thought of Hyunchang’s vocal cracks.  “Um…it wasn’t particularly good.”

            “I know,” he replied, looking quite satisfied with himself.  “That’s why I want to present this project to you and your sister, Minjin.  You see, for this project, I need singers.”

            “Singers?  It’s not a military project?”

            “Due to its unique concept, it isn’t even officially funded or supported by the military,” Hyunchang confessed, scratching the back of his head.  “I want to form an idol group.”

            “This actually sounds like…a front,” Minjin insisted quietly, looking at Soomin.  “He’s going to tell me I’m joining an idol group, but I’m really joining a military spy operation; is that it?”

            “No, not necessarily,” Soomin grimaced.  “Captain, you need to explain every detail to her or else forget about it completely.”

            “Just give me more than a few seconds to explain, and I promise I’ll do that,” he laughed.  “I am forming an idol group, and this group will perform and release songs.  Perhaps it will even tour around a little bit.  But I really want to form it to create a group of bodyguards to protect…”

            “To protect…who?” Minjin asked suspiciously. 

            “…Um…Girls’ Generation.”

            “Girls’ Generation?”  Minjin’s mouth fell open as she stared at Hyunchang.  “What…What kind of whack jobs is the South Korean military hiring?”

            “Minjin-ah, I know it sounds crazy,” Soomin sighed.  “Honestly, I find the Captain’s reasons for forming this group unbelievable and meaningless as well.  But if you let him explain his plans, I think you’ll find that this is a really great opportunity for you and your sister.”

            “I don’t think I want to hear any more,” Minjin admitted slowly.

            “I’m the laughing stock of the military right now, it’s true,” Hyunchang frowned.  “Those who I’ve told of my plan have even compared me to General Ko and his plan to evade international terrorism.  But do you mind if I explain what inspired me to want to do this?”

            Though Soomin and Minjin stood silently, the Captain took it as an opportunity to continue.

 

When the days are numbered

When we cross the bay

There will rise up

A generation of nine

Whose wishes will cause

Love and peace to reign

Guard them with your lives

Guard them with every skill

Upon them rests the sorrows of the land

Division is swallowed up by their voices

War could never drown their song

 

            “This prophecy was found in a box underneath one of the old temples,” he explained after reciting the entire thing perfectly.  “Archaeologists have it dated as about a thousand years old.  There was no author written down with it, and no one has been able to connect it to anything.  But I noticed a connection that no one was willing to admit.

            “The word ‘soo’ can mean number.  The word ‘man’ can mean bay.  The prophecy mentions that when the days are numbered and we cross the bay, something will happen.  Lee Sooman pretty much owns South Korea.  His company does what it pleases with its artists, and even its former artists.”

            “And the generation of nine?” Minjin inquired.  “You think it refers to Girls’ Generation?”

            “The word ‘generation’ is used, and it mentions there being nine people within it,” he persisted excitedly.  “It specifically mentions the word ‘wishes’.  Besides their song mentioning wishes, Girls’ Generation refer to their fans as wishes.”

            “And Girls’ Generation will make the world perfect?”  Minjin shook her head and snickered.  “The world is not perfect, Mr. Hwang.  That should disprove this prophecy of yours.”

            “You are unaware of a lot of things, Minjin,” Hyunchang informed.  “Trust me, I’ve done my studying.  According to the most respected financial reports, Sones from all across the world are stimulating a big chunk of the East Asian economy.  If something were to disrupt sales, all of East Asia would take a pretty big hit.  And because of this, the countries that are disputing with one another are reluctant to do anything drastic to further their agendas.”

            “Are you serious?”  Minjin ran the prophecy through her head again and wondered if Hyunchang’s words were even truth.  “You did all this research?  And you’ve discovered all this.”

            “That’s why I think they need someone to protect them,” he smiled, the relief in his face evident.  “If anything were to happen to them, the countries would become bolder in their anger and agendas, and I’m afraid of what will happen.  I’ve tried my best to protect them on my own, but it’s difficult.  There are nine members.  They’re rarely all in one place ate once.  I need help.”

            “So you want singers who are trained in military combat to help you protect them?”

            “That’s basically it in a nutshell,” he promised shyly.

            “That sounds…insane,” Minjin said hesitantly.  “I’m sorry.  I know you have your heart and soul invested in this.  I don’t mean to disrespect your work.”

            “I definitely understand,” Hyunchang grinned.  “Hyekyeong-ah felt the same way at first.”

            “Hyekyeong?  Is she someone else you’ve tried to recruit?”

            “Yes.  I’ve successfully recruited her, actually.”  He laughed quietly to himself.  “I’m almost sure she joined only because she was bored of what she was doing beforehand.  She’s a strange, tough kid.”

            “Was she in the military?”

            “No, she’s just an ulzzang by day and street fighter by night.”

            “What?”

            Hyunchang chuckled again and rubbed his tired eyes.  “You see, Minjin.  I’m not trying to recruit you and your sister simply because you seem like the most qualified for the job.  I know that the two of you haven’t been able to put your old lives away in order to live like normal people.  And that’s really hurting you.  I want to offer you an environment where you can learn to control your abilities, yet interact with trained individuals your own age.  It can be a safe place for you two.”

            “I don’t know…”

            “And if you never have to actually defend Girls’ Generation, that’s totally fine.  I will keep you well fed and taken care of.  And you’ll live right here in Seoul, able to interact with your family and friends whenever you want.  If you have time, you can even go to school again.  This isn’t anything like the Comet Project.  This is very different.”

            “It feels…too perfect.”  Minjin reached for Soomin’s hand as tears slowly filled her eyes.  “I don’t want to us to be stuck in another academy.”

            “Minjin-ah, I told you I would never let that happen,” Soomin assured fervently, squeezing her shaking hands.  “I’ve already researched all of Captain Hwang’s claims, and his plans are real.  I’ve even met this Hyekyeong.  She’s a real…chili pepper.”

            “You won’t leave us there alone, will you?”

            “Not at all,” Soomin swore with a smile.  “I’ll make sure to visit at least once a week when you’re not travelling…assuming Hyunchang successfully gets this girl group into the charts.  But your voice is beautiful, Minjin-ah.  And I think this is the perfect opportunity for them to hear it.”

            Minjin gave a childlike smile through her tears.  “Unnie…this is all really fast.”

            “I understand that all of this is very sudden and mysterious,” Hyunchang said quickly, nodding his head.  “I’ll leave the both of you to think about it.  Take as long as you want.  I won’t approach Minseon unless you decide to do it, Minjin.  I’ll be anticipating your decision.  Have a good night.”

            Before he left, the Captain gave a friendly grin and bowed ninety degrees.  Though he brought much confusion, he seemed to bring a small beacon of hope.  Soomin and Minjin sat with Youngbin for hours, talking about the opportunity that suddenly arose.  As they discussed it, the song that began this journey played in their heads.

            “That you are happy now, this is what I will send to you.

Author's Note: I'm soooooooooooooooo sorry about the delay. I hope to be more active in the future :) I love you all! Keep being amazing!