Desperation.

The Princess Pauper.

 

 

c h a p t e r  s e v e n ::

 

 

Thirty minutes have passed since our supposed time of departure from the house, and yet, Yoona is still on the phone, talking to perhaps a mother of one of the kids whom she’s babysitting during her spare time. The line gets cut every five minutes, which pretty much explains the reason why she mutters curses every five minutes.

 

I remain seated on the couch at the Im family’s living room, watching this food documentary on TV that isn’t exactly helping in satisfying the hunger that I’m feeling right now. If Yoona and I had left thirty minutes ago, we would’ve already had our bellies filled with food that’s more delicious than what I’m seeing on TV right now. But I’ve never really paid attention to the phone conversation in the kitchen despite Yoona’s voice reaching the living room crystal clear. However, since I’m growing more and more impatient, I’ve decided to eavesdrop on their conversation when the commercials started rolling.

 

“What? But Mrs. Son, I’ve already told you several times that this is my day off, and I have other chores to attend to. I can’t take Jini to the studio.” Yoona said in a pleading manner, which I find ironic since she’s not the one who’s asking the favor. “I, I know it’s Jini’s birthday today but I have other plans… okay, please wait. Sooyoung-ah!”

 

I turned back upon hearing Yoona’s cry out of the blue. She puts a hand on the mouthpiece before asking, “Do you want to go to this television station and watch singers perform live?”

 

I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion. So this is what everything’s about?

 

“What!?”

 

“My friend said yes, Mrs. Son!” Yoona exclaims over the phone, and I open my mouth in shock. “We’ll be there in fifteen minutes. Thank you, Mrs…” a confused look has dawned on her face as she removes the phone from her ears, shrugging her shoulders afterward. “Line’s been cut again. Damn it.”

 

I quickly stood up from the couch. “What is this about watching singers perform?”

 

“I’m really sorry, Sooyoung. Mrs. Son, who lives a few blocks away, asked me if I could bring her daughter to KBCS station to accompany her. The twelve year old girl wants to see Cho Kyuhyun.” Yoona retorted while she walks towards my direction, getting her bag from the couch. “She insisted on bringing her. I’m getting paid double my usual salary so I reckon that it’d be worth it. And since you’re tagging along, I’ll be giving you half of what I’m receiving.”

 

I blinked my eyes in astonishment. “Wow. I never thought that you could plan these things very well.”

 

“The perks of being a babysitter.” Yoona hangs her bag on her shoulder. “You know, things could’ve gone well if you were still a babysitter now. You could’ve overcome your fear of children.”

 

Babysitting? That’s as far as I can get when it comes to being in the same room as children. The twelve year old whom we’ll be accompanying is alright, but children ranging from zero to eight years old are a definite no-no. I once managed a day care center and believe me, it wasn’t a walk in the park. Kids screaming and crying for no reason at all; their pranks; their absent-minded way of living—maybe I should be more patient with them, but they crossed the line first.

 

Knowing that this has bad written all over it, I shake my head in reply. “No, Yoong, and I would like it if you don’t mention that ever again.”

 

“Okay, okay.” She chuckles. “You don’t have to be so tense, raising your shoulders like that.”

 

I glanced at my shoulders, curious to why she even said that and it appears that my body has reacted on its own, cringing at the thought of children being… well, children. It’s not that I practically fear children, but rather I can’t stand how they’re so carefree that they ignore their surroundings. It’s immature, and I’m guessing that it’s immature for me to think that way about them, but I simply can’t stand it.

 

“Let’s pass by a spicy rice cake stand on our way there. I’m hungry.” I lay a hand on my stomach as I head to the door with Yoona next to me.

 

“Now that you mentioned it, we should be eating already. Mrs. Son told me that the gates open at 5.” Yoong replied, glancing at her watch, and we actually stop by a spicy rice cake stand and ate there before reaching our destination.

 

Whose live performance are we watching again?

 


 

“CHO KYUHYUN!!!”

 

I had my ears covered throughout the time Yoona and I have arrived inside the studio with Jini, and from the way she shrieks and jumps in her place, I bet she couldn’t be happier on her birthday. While for Yoona and me, we’d frequently glance at our watches to check how many hours before we exit the very utopia of every fan girl known to man.

 

Cho Kyuhyun. As what I’ve remembered about him for the past few days, he’s the man whom I should be avoiding the most. Besides being charged twenty million Won for scratching his car twice, he now probably carries a grudge towards me for kicking him, and he might press charges at me if he ever sees me, but what am I doing right now?

 

Here’s hoping that he doesn’t notice me.

 

“CHO KYUHYUN! COME OUT ALREADY!”

 

With my eyebrows crinkled, I removed my hands from my ears and eyed Yoona after hearing her react that way. She answers me in a way that she doesn’t understand the reason why I’m making this face before she returns to crying out Cho Kyuhyun’s name from the audience.

 

Just a while ago, we had our ears covered because we couldn’t handle the screams these girls were making, and now—.

 

“Ladies and gentlemen, please welcome Cho Kyuhyun, who’ll be singing Listen… to you from his latest album, Feeble Words of a Strong Man.”

 

Then the crowd goes wild, and I place my hands on my ears once again to lessen my chances of ever getting ear damage in the near future. Finally, the man walks across the stage, holding the microphone near his chest as he smiles at the audience, causing the fans to squeal, obviously hitting the bull’s eye of every fan girl’s heart.

 

However, the moment he starts singing, the crowd becomes silent in a heartbeat. Rather, they wave their merchandise—towels, light sticks, banners, fans with the man’s picture on it, etc.—in the air to the beat of his song. The man had a different way of presenting his music; his voice was enough to grab everyone’s attentions, and he didn’t have to dance in order to be noticed; smooth, pure, and sumptuous.

 

“He’s so handsome.” I turn to Yoona, whose hands are clasped together below her chin, head tilted to the side, definitely in awe with what she’s witnessing right now. “I have to find a way to talk to him, whether it’s during Economics class or visiting the royal palace.”

 

“Eonni, you know Cho Kyuhyun?” I face Jini, startled when she raised her voice in fascination. “You definitely have to tag me along when you get to meet him!”

 

Yoona doesn’t react to the younger girl’s screeching, however, she’s able to answer Jini, her eyes still fixed at Kyuhyun as she replies with a hint of disappointment in her tone, “Aigoo, I only see him in my Economics class, which is thrice a week.”

 

I then feel my phone vibrate inside the pocket of my pants, and when I looked at the screen, Yuri’s name was displayed, calling me. I answered her, but because of the venue, we weren’t able to talk properly, which is why after the phone call ended, I sent a text message to her, informing that I’ll be calling her in ten minutes.

 

I squeezed my way out of the audience, bumping everyone and getting shoved on the way. But once I was able to step out of the studio, I take a deep breath in, relieved that I’ve made my way out of that suffocating place and I don’t have any plans of returning unless something happens to either Yoona or Jini… or both. Anyhow, I plan to spend some time at the restroom to do my lady business there.

 

The security guard by the door gave me directions to where the restroom is, and I didn’t have to walk over there to know that the line is incredibly long, as it was stretching until the bathroom entrance. I ask the security guard if there were any other restrooms I could use, but he firmly says that I am only allowed to use this floor’s restroom.

 

Unable to hold it in any longer, I decided to break the rules. I try to be casual, walking across the corridor, heading to the elevator as I mumble the words, “I should be leaving anyway”, audible enough for the security guards to hear since I had the feeling they were suspecting me of using one of the restrooms at the other floors. Upon arriving by the elevator, I pressed the button that’s pointing upward before glancing at the guards casually, and one of them turned his head towards my direction. I diverted my gaze toward the elevator doors at once, waiting for it to arrive at the floor I’m at while I shift from one foot to another, trying to resist the call of nature.

 

The elevator doors open, and I sigh in slight relief because I know I wouldn’t be able to hold it in any longer. I entered it, closed it on my own and pressed the button with the number four, since it was close to the number three, which is the floor of the studio that Yoona and Jini are at. Upon arrival, I quickened my pace, searching for the restroom. On my way, I pass by a few open doors and as I tilted my head to get a better view of the room while heading for the comfort room, I would gasp in astonishment and squeal to myself when I realized that I was able to see my favorite singers in flesh. Of course, I can’t bear to stop despite the fact that I’m ecstatic over the sight of Kangta and BoA. It’s good enough that I haven’t peed in my pants yet.

 

It was only when I had circled the halls of the studio that I had found the restroom, and I was able to see quite a number of stars while doing so. The girls’ bathroom in this floor is practically empty and has a better ambience compared to the one in the third floor. After finishing my business in one of the cubicles, I washed my hands and headed out for the exit.

 

When I opened the door, I widened my eyes in surprise as I watched Kyuhyun exit the boys’ bathroom, which is just a few meters away from the girls’ bathroom. Petrified, I remained in my place while he walks away, his gaze fixed at something else, and it gave me the idea that the odds aren’t against me this time since he’s not yelling “twenty million Won girl” at me. Today just might be my lucky day.

 

I cocked my head to the side, inspecting the premises if Kyuhyun was still seen or not. My safety isn’t exactly assured unless he’s left the floor… or the building itself. But instead, I furrowed my eyebrows in puzzlement upon seeing Kyuhyun cease his steps in front of Jungsoo-sshi. I am aware that both of them are princes, but what bothers me is the troubled look on Jungsoo-sshi’s face.

 

“What are you doing here?” Kyuhyun, taken aback at the sight of his relative, takes a step back, his hands inside the pockets of his pants.

 

Jungsoo opens his mouth, and from the looks of it, he’s finding it difficult to speak to Kyuhyun, like there’s something stopping him. However, he manages to say it after sighing.

 

“I know that you already have an idea of what has happened. Soori has escaped, and we’ve asked secret service to look for her here in South Korea and all over the world.”

 

“And?” Kyuhyun replies harshly without a trace of pity in his words and in his face. “What do you want from me?”

 

“I was thinking if maybe you could help us.” Jungsoo looks at Kyuhyun, his gaze depicting how desperate he is while he tries to regain his composure in front of the man. “Grandfather is arriving tomorrow, and you know he has just gotten surgery. If he finds out that Soori’s missing, there’s a possibility that grandfather would get angry and experience another attack. And if that ever happens, he might not be able to resume his duties.”

 

“You want me to lie—is that the case?” Kyuhyun raises an eyebrow.

 

“If that’s what it takes to save a man’s life, then yes.” Jungsoo’s gaze remains fixed at Kyuhyun, and it appears that he’s determined to have Kyuhyun agree to his proposal. “I know it is shameful. Yes, this is Soori’s responsibility, but I don’t want grandfather to suffer anymore. Think of the times that he has gone through from the past until the present. Please… Kyuhyun.”

 

I couldn’t stand watching them any longer and decided to hide completely behind the wall, trying to grasp onto the wall, looking for anything to grab onto. If only I had no clue on what they’re talking about, I can just walk past by them casually and live the rest of my life without thinking that I’ve done something regrettable. But I can’t. Yesterday, I admired Jungsoo because of his love for his sister and how he puts in quite an effort in keeping the royal family together in spite of the problems that are laid in front of him; he has even offered me to become Soori while his other relatives search for her, all for the sake of making life easier for his grandfather, the king.

 

Is it wrong? Yes. But there’s one positive outcome for this: saving the king’s life.

 

“Why don’t you just tell the king that Soori has no plans of coming back unless he revokes her of her current title of being the crown princess? That will ease the pain that you’re feeling right now.”

 

I listened intently to the conversation between them even though a part of me wants to simply avoid getting involved in this position. I was taken aback with what Kyuhyun had answered, although it was expected that he’d say something like that. From the way he’s living his life far from the palace as much as possible, Kyuhyun has no interest in being the crown prince and of course, becoming South Korea’s future king. But for a grandchild to a grandparent, it wasn’t the answer that could absolutely solve the problem.

 

“You know that it will kill grandpa—,”

 

“What else do you want me to say!? Tell him that she’s still on vacation? He won’t buy that anymore!” Kyuhyun raises his voice, cutting Jungsoo’s whispering plea. “It’s inevitable! He should just get the idea and give the title to someone else if he wants to make his life a whole lot easier!”

 

Jungsoo gives a sad chuckle. “This is about your title as the crown—,”

 

“Don’t even think about finishing that sentence.”

 

“I don’t understand. Don’t you have any sympathy for grandfather at all? We all grew up together under his care. You guys were inseparable.”

 

“I don’t know if I should still give him sympathy though.” Kyuhyun mutters under his breath, audible enough for it to reach my place. It was alarming to hear such words coming from a relative of the king, but by the sound of his voice, it seems like something terrible had happened between the two of them that he couldn’t even offer sympathy to the king. He then adds, “Why should I, anyway? He never really gave sympathy for our parents and continued being the king in spite of the numerous threats.”

 

“Cho Kyuhyun!”

 

“It’s like, it never happened at all, you know? He never really considered how we feel about our titles. I bet he didn’t think about how the former crown prince felt when he gave him that title which became the reason for his dea—,”

 

The sound of someone’s fist hitting another person reached my ears, followed by a groan. Immediately, I tilted my head to the side to see it for myself, and I saw Kyuhyun on the floor, wiping the edge of his lip while glaring at Jungsoo, who’s still standing with both of his hands balled into fists, rage depicted in his face.

 

“I know you loathe the fact that you’re the crown prince and you don’t really care about everything related to your title, but to say that you don’t give a damn on your grandfather’s life being at stake… BULL!” Jungsoo cries out in anger, which has garnered attention from different people. Nevertheless, this doesn’t change the look on Jungsoo’s face. “That’s low, Kyuhyun. Even for you.”

 

Kyuhyun’s eyes follow Jungsoo as the latter walked away, passing through the crowd that’s now gathering around Kyuhyun. Disappointment was evident in Jungsoo’s tone before he left Kyuhyun in that state. However, before my view has been blocked completely, Kyuhyun’s cold expression falters when Jungsoo has turned his back at him.

 

I decided to leave as discreetly as possible, Kyuhyun’s surrounded by his fellow showbiz involved people so he might not even notice me when I leave, but it doesn’t hurt to be sure. I walk towards the elevator, which was a few meters away from where I’m standing, but upon hearing my phone ring, I decided to take the stairs, which was closer.

 

When I had arrived at the third floor, I pulled my phone out and answered the call. I heard Yuri’s voice.

 

“Sooyoung, you still up for the job? I scheduled another interview for you tomorrow, around 8 in the evening. To add to it, the king may take a look at you personally and view your records on the spot. If things go well for you, you could start working this Monday.”

 

I clear my throat before answering Yuri’s question. But besides her question, another question has been bothering me after hearing Jungsoo and Kyuhyun’s conversation.

 

Anyhow, I told Yuri that she better pick me up at the palace gates around 7pm.

 


 

My exact purpose for being here in the royal palace is only for the sake of being interviewed as required upon applying as a maid for the household. However, I am also aware of the possible outcomes the moment I set foot inside the palace, knowing that the king will be arriving any moment now.

 

So maybe I’m at war with myself. I’ve set up a goal to find a job that can help me earn enough money to push through with my father’s operation. But recalling the last time I’ve been here, I reckoned I won’t be returning to the palace after what they had offered before me. Pretending to be the crown princess—it’s wrong, no matter how you view it as. Nevertheless, if a situation is weighed based on the gravity of the things surrounding it, it would be seen as an appropriate solution yet remains to be wrong.

 

Yuri is wearing her uniform; a black dress reaching her knees with a white apron above it, skin-colored stockings and black flats. Her hair’s tied into a nicely kempt bun along with a white band around her head, matching her apron. I find her outfit quite peculiar since it’s completely different from the clothes that the servants wear in those traditional dramas on TV; rather than serving royalty in the orient, Yuri appears to be one of the housemaids of Queen Elizabeth. Seeing the princes wear suits instead of hanboks in the household was odd for me as well, but then again, I remembered that we’re not living in the 1500’s and that we’ve learned to adapt the Western culture in this country.

 

I follow Yuri as she leads me past different doors and climbed a few staircases on our way to… well, I have no idea where she’s taking me to. On the way to wherever, she starts blabbering about what she does in the palace as a maid—performing household errands for eight hours every day—probably trying to fill in the silence that’s surrounding us. I listen to her from time to time.

 

Upon arriving at a certain floor, while walking down the hallway, I had this strange feeling that I’ve passed by here before. Yet, as I think about it, the corridors have the same wallpaper design throughout the palace, along with the wall lamps and the red carpet walkway. I decided to set the thought aside and focus on the interview and the possible questions that the head maid will be asking.

 

Finally, Yuri ceased her steps in front of a certain dark copper door in the middle of the hallway. I stop as well, watching her open the door and entering the room after she’s stepped foot inside it. When I was able to close the door behind me, I lowered my head, bearing mixed feelings of excitement and anxiety within me. However, I reckon I should keep a cordial smile on my face upon meeting the head maid for the first time, since people did say that first impressions last a lifetime. Therefore, I must make a good impression of myself in front of the head maid.

 

I walked towards Yuri, standing next to her while getting a glimpse of the people who’ll be interviewing me—specifically, their well polished, leather shoes and black pants. Perhaps, the head butler will be interviewing me instead of the head maid? Two butlers?

 

Eventually, I bowed before the two of them, greeting them out of courtesy.

 

“Good evening. My name is Choi Sooyoung. Please take care of me.”

 

But to my utter surprise, instead of introducing myself to two strangers, I was facing Minho-sshi and Donghae-sshi. I ended up stammering in front of the princes, astounded to see them again.

 

“We’re sorry to bother you again, Sooyoung-sshi, but we would appreciate it if you would heed what we have to say to you.” Donghae takes a step forward, his face showing signs of distress while his hands were enclosed together.

 

I’m beginning to think that I don’t have to explain to Yuri the reason why I wasn’t able to attend the interview last Friday night even though I was inside the palace.

 


 

A/N: Happy new year guys! I wasn't able to include the other parts of the preview here because I reckon that this chapter's already long. The other parts which weren't mentioned here will be included in chapter eight... although I'm not sure if I'd be able to update the next chapter next Friday as well. My classes will resume this Monday, so I can't assure you guys that I'll be udpating next Friday.

Anyway, hope you guys liked this chapter! Subscribe & comment! >:))

--whisperbabe