Awkward Awakening

Let Me Be
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: This is the first of a double update... the next chapter is ALL NEW CONTENT!!! Please enjoy!

 

Zico awoke from a dreamless sleep snuggled into the back of something warm. It had been a few years since he had last woken on his own instead of from a nightmare of his past. He was trying to figure out why he had slept so well when the warmth in his arms began to move slightly. Surprised, he peeked one eye open, coming face to face with a sleepy Namjoon.  

 

“Good morning.” Namjoon whispered, as a shy smile stretched his lips. His dimples made a shallow appearance as his eyes searched the other’s face.

 

“Um, hi.” Zico replied, unsure how things were done in such situations. He had never slept in anyone’s bed, nor had anyone ever slept in his. The events of last night were streaking through his head and a high blush took over his cheeks when he remembered having cried in front of this angel before him. He quickly sat up, the dark purple comforter sliding from his chest. Uncertain, he looked around the room at everything except the man beside him.

 

Namjoon’s room was neat and tidy for the most part. He did note their clothing hanging over the desk and chair, presumably to dry after sitting next to the fountain last night. Just across the way was an empty bed, the blankets a dull beige with dark red and navy stripes. It looked like it belonged in a hotel. “Where’s your roommate?” he asked Namjoon, feeling the need to fill what felt to him to be an awkward silence.

 

Namjoon rolled out of bed, stretching his muscles and yawning as he shuffled towards his desk. “I’ve never actually seen the dude.” he replied easily. “I went out with my friends the first day here and when I returned the bed was made.” he shrugged. “I’m assuming I’ll meet him tonight since classes start tomorrow.” He grabbed his phone off the desk, quickly scrolling through his friends’ worried texts and then typed in one quick reply. “Want some breakfast? My treat.” he winked at Zico and then began searching his drawers for some fresh clothing.

 

“Oh, I’m not really…” a loud rumble in Zico’s stomach cut off his reply.

 

Namjoon gave him a knowing smirk over his shoulder. “You were saying?” he chuckled.

 

“Fine.” Zico consented with an eye roll, hiding a gentle smile in his heart.


Namjoon laughed and tossed Zico’s pants and hoodie towards him. “Want a t-shirt?” he asked, a slight blush tinting his cheeks as an afterthought of Zico’s own soiled t-shirt rolled through his head.

Soon the two were headed to the nearby coffee shop Namjoon and his friends favored. The autumn air was warm and the sun was shining. Namjoon spread his arms wide, twirling in slow circles as they walked, taking in the warmth and centering it deep within his soul. Zico, on the other hand, was well hidden within his black hoodie. His shoulders were slumped forward and his head bowed as he tried to hide himself from the world around him.  

 

“So, what are you anyway, a hermit crab?” Namjoon teased as he tried to coax Zico out of his shell. “You have got to be dying of heat in that hoodie!”

 

Zico looked up and saw concern within the good-natured smile of Namjoon. “I told you the people around me get hurt. You really don’t want to be seen with me.” he assured Namjoon before dropping his eyes to the ground once more.  

 

“Ok…” Namjoon said thoughtfully. “We’ll figure that one out in a bit. For now, we’re here.”

 

Zico looked up to find himself standing at the threshold of a cozy little coffee shop. The place looked like a cheery one-story home with 4 tables outside, white and blue striped umbrellas growing from the middle of each. The outside tables had already been occupied to his relief. Inside were several diningroom-like tables around the outside borders. Several chairs and couches took up the middle of the large room. They were grouped so that several small groups could meet without overlapping one another. All in all it was very warm and homey.

 

Through the glass doors Zico could see the flower boy from last night waving towards Namjoon. A tentative smile graced the pretty boy’s lips when he saw Zico standing behind his friend.

 

“Why are they here?” Zico asked waspishly as he glanced around the shop, looking for Hoseok. The boy wasn’t in sight, nor was his boyfriend, but Zico kept his guard up anyway.

 

“Don’t worry.” Namjoon stated matter-of-factly. “They’re good guys. Just give them a chance.” He clasped Zico’s slightly clammy hand and pulled him inside to once again meet his friends.

 

“Hey, aren’t you…” Jin began.

 

“Zico.” Namjoon interrupted his friend with a smile. “This is Zico. He’s Hoseok’s roommate and a friend of mine. Zico, this is Jin hyung.” he introduced.

 

“Hi.” Zico said noncommittal

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter