I'll Back Off So You Can Live Better

Oh! My Beautiful Target~

2 years ago

Afternoon of the 8th grade school year

Beijing, China

After hearing footsteps from the other end of the hallway, I immediately slid the letter inside his locker and ran the opposite direction. I stopped running after turning at a corner.

I sighed. Relief flooded my body.

Finally, I managed to confess my feelings that I have for him for years.

I headed downstairs to the grounds when I heard the footsteps again. This time it sounded as if the person was running, running towards me.

I turned around expecting that it was Luhan, running towards me after finding my letter in his locker.

But it wasn’t him.


Just my luck.

The boy who I tried hard to forget and ran away from turns out to be studying in the same school as me.

How unlucky can I be?

I was in the girl’s restroom for god knows how long before I decided to peek outside. I immediately felt someone flick my forehead before I could even bring my head out properly for a peek.

“Ow~”

I put my head inside the restroom again but then someone barged in. Hae Kyung stood there, looking confused.

I ignored her and looked at myself in the mirror.

“Omo~ look at my forehead! It’s really red.” I pouted at Hae Kyung’s reflection.

“What the heck happened to you?” Hae Kyung asked impatiently, ignoring my statement. “We already found a table but you’re nowhere to be found. What happened?”

They didn’t see what happened? That’s good.

“Nah. I…My stomach just became upset all of a sudden. I’m sorry.”

“Then why are you peeking outside?” Hae Kyung asked, unconvinced.

Fudge.

Oh was I? I’m not peeking. I was just about to leave the bathroom when you flicked my forehead.”

“Oh really?” She said suspiciously but then hooked her arm around mine. “Well I know you’re lying all right, but I’m going to let it go this time because there’s just like 30 minutes left before the lunch period ends and I don’t want to force you if you don’t want to share it now, you know.”

So she did see what happened.

I gave her a grateful smile. “Thanks.”

We walked together back to the cafeteria but I can’t help but be nervous. I’m not really sure of how I must react if I see him again in the cafeteria.

Thankfully, the cafeteria is now mostly empty except for a few groups of students. I scanned the area but it looks like he already left.

Phew. That was close.

I arrived at our table to find Kyungsoo and Jung Hae discussing something and it looks serious. When they noticed me approaching, they immediately stopped whatever they were just talking about and gave me a weird look.

“Where the hell have you been?!” Jung Hae exclaimed but then quickly added, “Oh never mind that now. Finish eating the food so we can go back before we get late for Home Economics.”

“Oh okay~” I immediately started eating my lunch. The three of them seems to talk about something but the thought that Luhan is also studying here is still bothering me to the point that I can’t process anything the three of them are saying.

Ugh, I feel miserable.


2 years ago

Afternoon of the 8th grade school year

Beijing, China

“Minhee! I’ve been looking all over the school for you!” Tao exclaimed when he managed to catch up to me.

I tried to hide my disappointment. “Why? What is it?”

“I was with Luhan a while ago when Mei Xiu approached us. Apparently, she asked for his answer again this morning so Luhan promised that he will give his answer this lunch break.” Tao said, still catching his breath.

So that’s why he was asking for my answer before lunch.

I immediately looked at my wristwatch. It’s already time for lunch.

A creeping feeling found its way in my stomach.

Did he even have the chance to read my letter? Am I too late?

Tao took me by the arm and started dragging me towards the grounds. We arrived at the school grounds to find Luhan and Mei Xiu sunbaenim talking under a tree.

It wasn’t long before the conversation ended and Mei Xiu walked away.

She was smiling and blushing.

My heart started to beat really fast. Tao and I started walking towards Luhan but my feet are sluggish. I don’t want to know what he answered. I’m afraid of what his answer might be. But still, I found myself in front of him.

“So? What did you answer?” Tao asked impatiently.

“I-I said-”

“Is she the girl you told me about?” I interjected. I don’t think I want to know the answer but I still asked him anyway. Maybe it’s the masochist part of me. Maybe I already have an idea what his answer might be but I still chose to ask even though I know the answer would hurt.

His eyes found mine and for a moment we just stared at each other before he finally opened his mouth to answer.

“Yes.”

It felt like my heart just dropped. I tried to look happy as I faked a smile.

“Really?!” I exclaimed a little too cheerful for my liking but I didn’t care anymore. “Wow, congratulations then. Why do you have to make her wait this long when you like her all along too?”

He just stared at me. He was about to reply when I continued. “Well, never mind that. At least you’re going to be together now, right?” I didn’t realize that I’m already crying. “Ah finally! I’ve been waiting for you guys to be together! I’m really happy for you guys.” I probably sounded really bitter but I couldn’t help it.

“Minh-”

“I-I’m sorry. Excuse me.” I said as I ran away, tears flowing uncontrollably now.

I heard Tao, or maybe Luhan, call out my name but I pretended that I didn’t hear it as I continued running.

I am too late.


The rest of the day passed in a blur. I mildly burned my left hand during Home Economics because my mind’s too preoccupied that I didn’t realize that the baking pan was still hot from the oven so Kyungsoo treated the hand with first-aid. Hae Kyung and Jung Hae were forced to stand at the back of the classroom with both hands raised because they were caught making faces at each other during Math.  After classes, I convinced the three of them to leave the school quickly, telling them that I’m really excited in baking the muffins when in truth I just wanted to leave as soon as possible so that I won’t have to see Luhan again. While walking home, Jung Hae complained about how hard the punishment had been and then blamed Hae Kyung for starting it. Of course, they bickered again until we reached Jung Hae’s place. After Jung Hae went home, the walk became much quieter except for Hae Kyung’s occasional grumble of how stupid Jung Hae is. Finally, we reached my house. I told Kyungsoo that I will just eat dinner and change clothes before coming over there to which he agreed to.

“I’m hooooome~” I announced blandly.

“Oh Uminnie you’re home early! I heard from Oppa that you’re coming over to Kyungsoo-ssi’s house tonight.” Sohee’s voice rang out from the kitchen. “Am I right?”

“Ah yes. I will head there immediately after a quick dinner.” I entered the kitchen to find Sohee setting the food on the table.

Sohee looked up from the table. “Umm Uminnie is something wrong?”

What gave it away? Was it my facial expression? It must be.

Sohee has this intuition. Somehow, she can always guess people’s thoughts and she knows if something is bothering a person. Plus, she can tell if someone’s lying. She’s like a mind reader of some sort, really. And now I have no other choice than to be honest.

I sighed. “I met someone I know from Beijing.”

“Was it...” She started but then decided against it. The message still reached me though.

I nodded.

“Then aren’t you happy? You haven’t seen him for years! He’s your best friend.”

He used to be.

“I don’t know.” I looked away. “I just…don’t.”


2 years ago

Afternoon of the 8th grade school year

Beijing, China

I just kept running until I found myself standing outside my house.

I quickly dried my eyes and tried my best to look fine before entering by the front door.

I was surprised to see both dad and stepmom at home.

“Ah, Minhee, you’re home.” Dad greeted with an embrace. “You must be wondering why your mom and I aren’t at work.”

“Why? What’s wrong?”

“Well, we received word from your grandfather that he needs my help in managing our mall branch in Shanghai. That means we’re moving to Shanghai in 3 days. Sorry for not telling you this earlier.”

“What?! What about school and what will happen to our house?”                   

“Your grandfather already provided a house for us in Shanghai. As for your school, we’ll just transfer you to one of the middle schools there next school year.”

“But what abou-”

“What is it dear?”

I was about to ask about my friends, but then I remember about Luhan and the events of the day all came crashing down on me again.

“N-nothing.”

That night, Luhan called me on my cellphone but I ignored the constant ringing until it ceased. He might have also texted me but I turned my phone off so I never knew what message it contained.

He must have found my letter on his locker. I am really embarrassing, assuming that I was the one he likes and it turns out that I’m not. I wrote in the letter that I’m okay for us to remain friends but I never realized that it will hurt this much, that it would be impossible for us to remain friends without hurting myself whenever I see the two of them together. I don’t think I have the guts to face him again.

I must look really pathetic.

For the next 2 days, I never left the house and I spent all of my time packing up my things. I didn’t even bother telling Luhan that I will be gone.


I stood outside Kyungsoo’s house.

It was a normal-sized house, having two stories, and painted white.

I rang the doorbell and seconds later Kyungsoo opened the gate to welcome me.

“Ah have you eaten dinner?” Kyungsoo asked as we entered the gate.

“Yeah, I did- Waaaaaaah~” Between the front door and the gate is a really lush and beautiful garden. I gawked for a few seconds before I recovered and followed Kyungsoo inside.

The first thing that I noticed is that it is an open interior. The whole place has no divisions; it was just a single, spacious and airy room. There was a sleek couch, a huge LCD TV and other furniture left of the front door that tells me that it is the living room. To the right is the stairs that leads to the second floor. I found the kitchen and the dining area at the back of the house. Every fixture and furniture in the house is futuristic and sophisticated. The walls are mostly glass, so that you can see the garden and the backyard from the inside. Everything was clean and organized.

“My dad is an architect while my mom is a landscape and interior designer.” Kyungsoo said looking at my awed expression.

“I can tell. The design of the house is really beautiful. Look, I can even see upstairs from here~”

Kyungsoo smiled then lead me towards the kitchen. It was complete, with oven, stove and all. The backyard can be seen through the glass curtain wall. It was full of vegetable plants and a cherry tree in the center.

Despite its grandeur, I can’t help but notice how empty the house looked.

“Kyungsoo, are you alone? Where are your parents and siblings?”

“Ah, yeah. I have a brother but he’s studying in America right now. My parents are living with me but they are gone for the week because they are working on a client’s house.”

“Oh.”

Suddenly, I remembered what Oppa told me this morning…

“You do realize that Kyungsoo’s a boy, right? You know what happens when a boy invites you to his house, right?”  

He’s alone. We’re alone.

Kyungsoo grinned.

I was nervous all of a sudden.

“Okay, shall we start with the muffins?”

“Oh, okay.”


“Ummm, about the cafeteria thing…” Kyungsoo started as he preheated the oven.

I dropped the measuring spoon I was holding.

“…thaaaaaaaat we can choose not to talk about.” He finished.

“Nah. I’m fine. I’ll tell you.” I picked up the measuring spoon from the floor and rinsed it under the tap. “He was someone I knew from China.”

I looked at Kyungsoo, expecting confusion written on his face, but he looked like he knew who I was talking about.

So everyone saw it. Ugh.

Knew?”

“Well, more than that. I-I liked him.”

For a moment, Kyungsoo didn’t reply. He just quietly moved beside Minhee to help with the measuring.

“What happened, then?” Kyungsoo finally said.

Well, it’s about time I tell this to someone. Maybe they can help.

“You see, he was my best friend back then.” I took a large bowl to mix the ingredients in. “He didn’t know that I had been harboring feelings for him.”

“Uh-huh.” Kyungsoo nodded silently.

I tilted my head. He acted weird, as if he can somehow relate to my experience. However, I decided to dismiss the thought.

“I decided to finally confess to him back in 8th grade. But that day, I realized that I was too late.” I started putting the ingredients together in the bowl. “That day, he gave his heart to someone else.”

I closed my eyes. Suddenly, the memory resurfaced. The events played into my mind, clear as day, as if it happened just yesterday.

I sighed.

Kyungsoo stood still. He was about to say something but I cut him off.

“I thought it was me, you know?” I poured the last ingredient into the bowl and then started mixing it. “I thought it was me and I was wrong. I felt humiliated. So I ran.” I casted my eyes down. Tears didn’t come but the pain is unbearable.

Kyungsoo placed the measuring spoon on the table, not saying anything for a while, and then faced me.

 “I’m sorry for making you remember something painful but thank you, too. Thank you for trusting me. Remember, if something’s bothering you I’m always he-”

 Before I could stop myself, I hugged him.

I heard a sharp intake of breath before his body turned rigid. I realized what I did a moment after so I pulled away slowly, making things awkward.

What the heck did I just do? Ugh. I feel stupid.

Kyungsoo didn’t budge. He is staring into nothing as if he was stunned.

“Ooookay, the muffin, must get back to baking the muffin, right.” I sputtered awkwardly. I took the mixing bowl to take it from the kitchen counter to the table where the muffin cups are to escape the awkwardness. In my haste, my feet stumbled on itself. I was about to fall when Kyungsoo held me by the waist and steadied me.

I gave him a grateful smile and then laughed at my own clumsiness.

He started laughing too, breaking the awkward atmosphere.


It was already late at night when we finished baking the muffins.

We baked 3 batches of the muffins that should have taken only an hour and a half but we chatted about random stuff in between batches so it took a total of 3 hours to actually finish all of it.

“Umm Minhee, can I ask you something?” he said after setting the last batch on the table.

“What is it?” I popped a blueberry in my mouth. Kyungsoo allowed me to have the all excess blueberries, which is still a lot.

Kyungsoo fidgeted for a while before deciding to speak up.

“Ummm, I was just thinking whether yo-”

A ring of the doorbell interrupted him.

“Who can that be? My parents aren’t supposed to be back till next week.” Kyungsoo turned to me. “Wait a sec. I’ll just check it out.”

Kyungsoo disappeared outside for a moment before reappearing again at the front door.

“It’s your brother.”

 

 



YAY~

Comeback~! 

After 2 weeks of (hiatus? can i call it that? omg i don't know) ~ 

I just started college and I'm still adjusting so I can't write anytime I want anymore.

Although I hope I can still write and update regularly as before.

Guys! Wish me luck~ ฅʕ•ﻌ•ʔฅ

PS. EXO's Happy Camp will be aired really soon. 

I'm really excited HAHAHAHA

PPS. Guys I also want to thank you for telling me your opinions last time, I really appreciate it. 

To thank you guys, I prepared tons of (i don't know...fluff, maybe?) for you readers~ 

감사합니다