Replay

Oh! My Beautiful Target~

2 years ago

Afternoon of the last day of 8th grade school year

Beijing, China

I stood in front of Locker 204 as I held a folded paper tightly in my hand.

This is his locker. I should know since I’m the one who organizes it when it gets too messy because of his laziness.

Should I do this? Or should I forget about it and leave? Ugh. I don’t know. What if he-

The sound of footsteps interrupted my thoughts. Before I could even think about it further I pushed the letter through the slit on the locker door and ran towards the opposite direction of the footsteps.


I woke up with a start.

It’s just a dream. Calm down. Ugh. Of all the things to dream about…

I sighed. Of all the memories that I have, still, my mind chose to dream the memory that I tried hard to forget.

I looked at my clock. I woke up an hour earlier than usual. I decided to go downstairs and help with the breakfast.

“Oh. You’re early my little dongsaeng.” Oppa called out from the kitchen.

Oh. He’s cooking again?

This is the second time that he prepared breakfast since last week. I sat at the dining table waiting for oppa to finish cooking the breakfast with his back facing my direction.

“Nah. I just had a bad dream.”

“Is that bad dream about someone in particular?” he replied while stirring something in the pot.

I didn’t reply. When he realized that I don’t plan on answering his question he just shrugged.

“Okay never mind that. If you don’t want to talk about it then we won’t. I won’t push the topic.”

“O-okay. Thanks.” I smiled gratefully at oppa even though he didn’t see it with his back turned. “Uh-mm. Where’s Sohee by the way?”

“She’s taking a bath. I told her to prepare first since this may take a while.”  He answered, lifting his head from the stove to face me.

“Oh. Can I help?” I sat up from the chair eagerly. “I want to learn to cook too. I’m like the only one in the family who doesn’t know how.”

“Really? Well, you’re lucky because you’re about to learn from the master himself.” He said before lifting his eyebrows and laughing smugly.

I rolled my eyes but still smiled back.

“Okay then you can chop these vegetables before I add them to the soup.”

I started chopping when I remembered Kyungsoo who, I learned after a week of being pairs in Home Economics, is really good when it comes to cooking and baking.

“Oh oppa you know Kyungsoo, right?”

“Is he the one who baked the cake that you brought home last week?”

“Yes. It’s was delicious right? Well I was just thinking whether I could come over to his house later.”

He eyed me suspiciously. “What for?”

“Well, you see, we have been assigned to bake muffins as a project but we don’t have enough time during class to finish baking all of it.”

“So…” he started, still eyeing me. “Wait. Are you asking me for permission?”

I nodded. “Well?”

 “Minhee,” He turned around to face me, ladle in hand. “You do realize that Kyungsoo’s a boy, right?” He pointed it at me then started waving it in front of me as if that could make me understand him but all it did was freak me out. “And I guess you know what happens when a boy invites you to his house.” By this time, his eyes were wide from hysteria and if I’m going to be honest with myself, I must say it’s a tad bit creepy.  “Right?” he stressed before returning the ladle in the soup.

“Oppa what’s with that reaction?” I gave him a confused look. “It’s not like we’ll do something, you know. We’re friends, for crying out loud!”

“We never know if Kyungsoo thinks differently.” He replied before another idea hits him. “You know what? What if I help with the baking instead? It’s safer that way.”

Oh please, is his brotherly instinct kicking in again?

“Are you kidding me?!” I huffed indignantly. “You don’t even know how to bake! And besides, we’re supposed to do it with our partners!”

He opened his mouth to argue but realized that I won this time so he just decided to close it.

“Okay fine! You can go.”  He raised his hands in surrender. “But please go home right after you guys finish baking, okay?” he said pressing his palms together with concerned eyes.

“O-Okay. I will!” I replied a little too happily. “Don’t worry oppa, I will be careful so don’t be such a worrywart, hmm?” I replied before giving him a back hug.

“A-ah. O-okay.” Suddenly awkward, he abruptly moved so that my arms will fall from his waist.

His ears turned bright red.

I was about to ask him about it but I decided against it. Instead, I just tilted my head.

He seemed to realize this because he immediately turned to the stove as if nothing happened. “Oh it looks like the soup is done! Call Sohee so we can eat.”

“O-okay.” I replied.

I decided to let it go but promised myself to ask him next time.

There’s something definitely wrong with Oppa.


2 years ago

Morning of the last day of 8th grade school year

Beijing, China        

We were walking to school like we usually do when he suddenly asked me “Hey baozi, do you have someone you like?”

Yes. You. I like you.

“What’s with the sudden question? Well, I-I do have someone I…like. Why do you ask? Do you have someone you like as well?”

“Well I do have a crush on this certain girl but-“

Then his admirer Mei Xiu sunbaenim approached us when we reached the school’s main gate.

“Hello!” she greeted with a wave and a smile. “Can I talk to you for a minute?”

“Oh okay. Baozi you can go ahead. I’ll catch up.”

“Okay then, I’ll go ahead.” I waved at him.

Ugh. Mei Xiu sunbae is a beautiful upperclassman who is liked by everyone but even though she has tons of admirers, she chose to pursue after my best friend of all people. I have nothing against her but the fact that she likes the only person that I ever liked is enough to make me bitter towards her. But it can also be due to the fact I know that I am nothing compared to her beauty.

Is it really ok for me to continue being like this, just a best friend?

There were no classes today since it’s like the last day of the school year before the spring break. Then after the break, we will start the school year as 9th graders. Instead of classes, we had a morning ceremony to award students who exceled during the school year. After the ceremony, I went directly to my locker to get a few things when I noticed a little paper note inside my locker. I gingerly opened the small note to find his handwriting scribbled on it.

“Do you think it’s okay for me to go out with Mei Xiu?”

I turned the piece of paper to find another note at the back.

“Please answer honestly. Reply with a note on my locker before lunch.”


A lot of things happened after a week of attending my high school. After Hae Kyung introduced me to Kyungsoo, the 4 of us basically became inseparable, from eating lunch in the cafeteria to walking home after school since Kyungsoo and Hae Kyung lives just a few houses away from mine and Jung Hae’s house is along the way. Joonmyeon also started warming up to me, helping me with a subject and answering my questions when I don’t completely understand the lesson. There’s also this upperclassman from Oppa’s section who keeps on pestering me, appearing suddenly one day during lunch. He went over to our table to introduce himself (Hello, I’m Zhang Yixing, 3rd year, but people call me Lay. I heard that you transferred here from China. What a coincidence, I’m from China too! Maybe we can get to know each other better *winks*) then asked for my number. When I refused he just smiled and told me that he’s fine with it and walked away but then constantly pestered me afterwards.

Oh look, there he is.

True enough, Oppa and I can already see Lay sunbaenim standing under the tree by the school’s main gate.

“Good morning gorgeous~” he greeted as he spread his hands for an embrace.

“Woah Lay.” Oppa immediately put himself between us, planting a hand on sunbaenim’s chest. “Slow down.”

“Okay fine, Yeol.” He said, pushing oppa’s arm away. “I just greeted your pretty dongsaeng for crying out loud.”

Oppa looked vexed. “Are you hitting on my sister?”

Lay sunbaenim smirked. “Why? Is it a bad thing? Are you going to do something about it?” then he leaned towards oppa before whispering, “Yeol, you know you can’t restrain me. No one can.”

“Lay, even if you’re my friend, I’m telling you if you ever lay a finger on my dongsaeng I’ll ing kill you.” Oppa warned in a not-so-serious tone.

“Oh, I don’t know. I’m not sure if I can control myself.” Lay sunbaenim smirked at him again before winking at me.

Oh please.

After a short episode of Lay-Chanyeol bickering, Oppa finally asked me to go ahead before grabbing Lay-sunbaenim’s arm and dragging him towards their building.

Are they sure they’re 3rd year high school students? ‘Cause all I see are 2 kids bickering with each other.

I started towards my classroom when I saw Kyungsoo walking to class too, alone.

“Yah! Kyungsoo-yah!”

He turned around to see me running towards him.

“Why are you alone? Where’s Hae Kyung? Don’t you guys go to school together?”

“Oh, she went back home because she forgot her homework.”

“What?! I hope she can make it in time.”

“Oh don’t worry she will. And even if she doesn’t, she can come up with an excuse that will work like magic.” He said indifferently.

“I guess you’re right. Oh by the way, my brother already gave me permission to stay at your house later.”

“Really?!” he exclaimed a little too cheerful before putting on a straight face when he realized his overreaction. “A-ah t-that’s good.”

I tilted my head. “Is something wrong?”

“N-nothing. It’s nothing.” He managed to say before walking ahead of me. “C’mon let’s go before we get late.”

I realized this too so we started racing upstairs to our classroom. By the time we got there, both of us are already catching our breaths. We still got a few more minutes to spare. Since Hae Kyung still isn’t around and Jung Hae looks like she’s cramming with her hand moving in the speed of light and her head moving back and forth from her seatmate’s math notebook to hers, I decided to head straight to my seat careful not to step on any sleeping student.

“Good morning Minhee.” Joomyeon greeted with a soft smile.

“Good morning to you too~”

“Did you manage to finish your homework?”

“Oh yes, I did. Thanks for teaching me that shortcut by the way.” I smiled at him gratefully. “If it weren’t for you I would probably be still solving those math problems like Jung Hae over there.”

Well, more like copying solutions and answers.

“You’re welcome. You can ask me anytime.”

Just then, the door slammed open to reveal a very exhausted Hae Kyung.

“Oh good thing you made it here in time!”

“Just barely.” She said out of breath. “Seonsaengnim is already on her way here.”

After hearing Hae Kyung the class acted immediately that moments later the classroom is as perfect as ever as if it wasn’t littered with notebooks and sleeping students just seconds ago.

 “Woah.” Seonsaengnim said in awe. “Well done class. I didn’t expect your classroom to be this clean and organized.”

I glanced at Hae Kyung and we stared before giving each other an invisible fist bump.

You’re really awesome Hae Kyung, you’re the best.


2 years ago

Morning of the last day of 8th grade school year

Beijing, China         

 I immediately returned to our classroom. It’s empty because almost everyone is at the school grounds.

Perfect. I can write the letter in peace here.

*****,

     I just read your note in my locker. Since you asked for my answer, I might as well say everything right here. You asked me whether I liked someone, right? Well, that someone is you. I like you. I like you very much. I liked you ever since I met you 3 years ago. Even then until now, you were always there for me. I guess what I’m trying to say is that you are someone special that I really cherish.

   I’m not asking you to like me back. You said you like a certain girl and there’s a part of me that hopes that it’s me. That I was the one you like. But if it turns out that you like someone else, then it’s ok. I can just settle with us being friends. But still, you asked me to be honest so I will.  

It took me a full minute to think if I should continue.

Well, I already wrote my confession. Might as well tell him what I feel.

“Do you think it’s okay for me to go out with Mei Xiu?”.

No.


The 4 of us immediately left for the cafeteria as usual after being dismissed by our subject teacher. The cafeteria is already swarming with students when we arrived. Aside from our class, there are like 4 more sections in the 11th grade. Since all 5 sections share the same lunch times, the cafeteria is always full during lunches.

Ugh. I wish we can still find a vacant table amongst all these students.

“Okay you guys fall in line while I find a vacant table for us.” I suggested.

“Okay then. We’ll just order one for you, okay?”

“Okay, thanks~”

I immediately took to scanning the crowd for a vacant table. We headed to the cafeteria immediately but it looked like all these other students still beat us to it.

Ah! There is one vacant table over there, thank goodness!

I rushed toward the table when I ran into someone causing the empty tray he was holding to come crashing down the cafeteria floor.

“I’m so sorry.” I immediately reached down for the tray. “I didn’t mean to-”

I dropped the tray again when I saw the face of its owner.

My heart almost stopped when I saw his face, his eyes widening upon seeing mine.

Time seemed to slow down.

“M-Minhee? Is that y-”

Before he could say anything more, I ran outside the cafeteria.

I heard him call my name but I covered my ears and ran faster.

I kept running just like I did 2 years ago.

I happened upon a girl’s restroom and hurried inside.

I splashed water on my face and looked at myself in the mirror.

Was it just my imagination? It seemed too real to me. That face and those eyes that I knew so well that could only belong to a single person. Him.

“Luhan.”

 

 



Ah~ more about Minhee's past is included here.

I will continue to reveal more about her past in the future chapters. 

My mind is a little bit conflicted at the moment so sorry if this update is a little...umm...yeah xD

Please bear with me though~ 

Oh by now i guess you guys must've already figured out what my chapter titles are.

Well, my chapter titles are titles of KPOP/Korean songs

It's cute, right? 

Anyway please leave a comment at the comments section below~

Each comment is really precious to me and I deeply appreciate them.

Thanks for the upvotes and subs too!