#86 Picking Up the Pieces

Drabbles
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

We tried to build a house of cards, each brick a flimsy paper. Piece by piece in all of its fragility, slowly and carefully placed, even if when one stood another fell down. Because for every time I took a step forward, you took two steps backwards. And every time you dared to move closer, I stood confusedly frozen in my place.

I dreamt of finally building a house of cards. And with you, there is no need for it to be fancy. Because even a simple one would already be painfully difficult journey, and in reality it could never stood in all its glory. Not even if only for one second, for the world is the wind blowing against us: a single, gentle gust and it all broke apart into scattered, sorry pieces. Traumatizing us, the ones who would be picking up the pieces in sorrow, too afraid to begin again. With all of our efforts wasted, sweat and tears falling to the ground without mercy, too tired to try again.

And perhaps in the end you would take all your cards away. Packing up all the pieces and try to build another house of cards with someone else. Leaving me behind in the middle of this mess without ever looking back. I could do nothing but to stare longingly at you and pray, wishing that the world would be so kind to let you build an everlasting castle.

But before you go, just let me slip an ace of hearts into your deck. A part of me, given w

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter