Chapter 3

Yumi's Revenge

When I saw my mother standing over my my best friend's body with his blood on her hands, smiling. I thought about how when I was a child, I had always been afraid of monsters hiding in the closet or underneath  my bed, but never stopped to think that maybe the monster was always beside me. That the monster was none other than my own mother.

I hid in the hallway and made sure that she couldn't see me from the kitchen but I could see and hear her. Beside my mother and my friend's body I saw kuriko shaking his head with disdain at the mess on the floor, as if he didn't care about the dead person in the house just the mess that it made.

I felt my body freezing up and felt like I would collapse on the spot from the scene I was seeing but before that could happen I heard kuriko and my mother speaking and strained my ears to listen hoping that this was all some horrible practical joke. 

But as I saw the scene before me and heard them talking, I knew this was real. Plus my instincts kept rearing their ugly head and warning me that I was in real danger.

"Himeko, could you please stop making a mess of things, you didn't have to butcher the poor boy. We could have just used a forgetting spell on him and sent him on his way." Kuriko said.

"Oh please, Kuriko spare me. You know you would have liked to have killed him yourself, I know how much you love the thrill you get after a kill and the surge of power that goes with it."

I put my hand over my mouth before I gasped out loud. My gut was telling me that I had to get out of there now but I couldn't, not yet, not until I knew what was going on.

"Well, yes Himeko that's true enough but when I kill someone I make it seem like they died of an illness or an accident, not a murder because then that brings up too many questions. And when I murder people I only choose those that will no be missed."

"But, Kuriko dear its not as satisfying as when you know you've killed someone that will be missed and the people close to him will suffer and they know they won't ever find the killer. Aaahh that gives me so much more satisfaction."

"Huh....really? Then how come when you killed your husband, you made it seem like a heart attack instead of what really happened? Huh?Himeko? We both know how your husband died, the real question is why? You never did tell me. And were you really sad that you killed him or were you pretending. If you were, you are one heck of an actress."

I heard a smack as if she had slapped him, hard. Mean awhile, I couldn't believe what I was hearing. My mother killed my father. My mother killed my father. That kept repeating in my head like a mantra. That slap she gave him was proof enough, my father's death was no accident.

I had to get out of there, before I did something that would get me killed. I couldn't be here anymore I crept as quietly as possible down the hallway and away from this nightmare but because I was shaking so much from everything I'd heard I stumbled over a crack on the hardwood floor and it creaked. Loud. Crap.

"Who's there? Show yourself." I heard kuriko say.

No way in hell that was happening, I ran as fast as I could toward the door stumbling over pots of plants and barely reaching the living room, no point in walking quietly since they already heard me. 

I finally reached the door and was one step away from this nightmare when suddenly I was swept off my feet and slammed against the wall. My head hit the wall so hard that I saw stars, before I fell into complete and utter darkness.