Chapter 1

Yumi's Revenge

It's been 2 years and 11 months since my father's death and although my dad died the world still went on without him like nothing had ever happened. 

It'll be 3 years since his death after my birthday passes, I'll be turning 16 years old but all my life consists of is the same routine over and over again. Going to school, eating, and sleeping the only person that keeps me from falling apart is my best friend Tomohiro.

He's the only person who understands me and knows that even though I act bubbly and smile all the time, inside I'm breaking and yet he always finds ways to comfort me. He's my one and only friend apart from Hikaru his sister who already graduated from high school.

My mother is rarely ever home because she works a lot and I guess that's the only way she knows how to cope and I don't blame her.

But today it was different because I woke up later than usual, I only had 10 minutes to change because I woke up late.

I changed into my school uniform which consisted of a white buttoned shirt with a red tie, and a black blazer over it , and a red patterned skirt, I put my long black hair in a messy pony tail, grabbed my bag and headed to the kitchen to grab an apple and water since that was all I had time for.

As I was walking to the kitchen I heard a man's voice and my mother's and was surprised because we never saw each other in the morning.

When I entered the kitchen their conversation came to an abrupt stop and I wondered who this mystery man was and what he was doing in our house and why he gave me such bad vibes.

"Good Morning." I said even though it didn't feel like a good morning since I woke up late and there was a strange man in the kitchen.

It looked like the man was going to say something but instead my mother said, "Yumi, come say hello to my savior." 

I looked at the man and confusion must have shown on my face for my mother answered,

"oh I didn't tell you, Yumi because I didn't want you to worry. I was almost hit by a speeding vehicle but Kuriko saved me."

"It was my pleasure Himeko, it isn't everyday that I get to save a beautiful women. And it is very nice to meet you, Yumi."

I close the distance between us, "I had every right to worry mother, you have to be more careful," I said.

" See what did I tell you, Kuriko she worries too much, sometimes I think that our roles are reversed," she says.

They both laugh at what she said.

"Sorry mom for caring and worrying about you, now if you'll excuse me I have school right now." I walk quickly out of the kitchen and head outside, when suddenly my mother's savior stops me.

"I'm sorry Yumi if we offended you but we weren't laughing at you, its just that what your mother said amused me. Hopefully we didn't start off on the wrong foot here."

It's not that I was angry, I was just annoyed that my mother seemed to know this man very well and yet had never introduced him to me, it seemed like they were very close.

"No, everything is fine Mr. umm..." I didn't know what to call him.

"Just call me Kuriko."

"Okay, like I said everything is fine and I thank you for saving my mother, but I'm afraid I don't know you very well and my mother never mentioned you but you two seem to know each other very well and although I'm happy that my mothers happy, I just feel like I should know who you are before you decide to have a relationship with my mother."

Kuriko laughs, and for some reason his laugh gives me goosebumps but I brush it off as being cold.

"You are very mature for your age, Yumi," he says.

"I'm sorry if I am coming off as too blunt but I don't like beating around the bush." I say.

"No, No its good that you're so straight forward. How about I pick you up from school and we can go eat something and you can ask me anything you want? How's that? Is that okay with you?" He says.

I think about his proposal but never find out what my answer would have been because my mother comes over to us.

"What's going on, Kuriko? You took forever to come back so I got worried."

Kuriko tells her that he planned to take me out and answer all my questions about him.

"That sounds like a good idea, Kuriko but it can't be today because Yumi has her club meeting and doesn't leave until 4:30 P.M."

I had completely forgotten about that and as I look at my watch I notice that I am so not gonna make it to school on time.

"Mom, I have to leave now. I'm already late as it is. Okay see you when I get home, you are gonna be home right?"

"I don't know Yumi, I might have to work overtime today again," she says.

"Okay I understand. Gotta go now. Bye," I leave running to grab my bicycle and as I am about to pedal off I see that both of them are watching me, and I don't know why but it unsettles me.

And as I get to school I feel a foreboding.