chapter 2

Tangled Web

Gwiboon had always been possesive towards Jinki. She usually would be unhappy and feel like being replaced whenever she saw Jinki was closed to another girl. She would drag Jinki away from other girls and use thousand reasons to make Jinki attached to her. Like that time when Jinki was being approached by this girl from his classmate. As a girl, Gwiboon certainly knew when a female was attracted to a male. And that Jinki’s classmate was obviously hitting on him. Unfortunately Jinki was stupid enough to notice and just being a dense both to her feeling and to Gwiboon’s jealousy. So Gwiboon had to ruin his attention and made him forget all of the dates she had proposed him by forcing Jinki to accompany her shopping, pretending she’s sick s so Jinki would stay on her side, or any other things that Gwiboon could think of, enough to get the other girl mad and gave up on Jinki even before she confessed. With Jessica, it’s obvious Gwiboon protected him from any possibility greetings and meetings.

But this one was different. Gwiboon liked Taeyeon as her girl best friend. Although they had barely known each other for months but Gwiboon knew Taeyeon was a girl she would like to have friendship with for a long time. The more she knew Taeyeon, the more she adored her. There’s something about Taeyeon that made Gwiboon wanted to protect, to take care of, and make her happy. Taeyeon was not very lucky making friends, she got bullied in her previous school, coming from broken family yet she had shown Gwiboon to be a tough and brave girl. She maintained good grades despite the bullying she had received, she always kept smiling despite of depression for having divorced parents, and how she had to deal with life. Taeyeon had been through a lot and Gwiboon didn’t want Taeyeon to experience another bitter things such as love.

It was obvious for Gwiboon to see how excited Taeyeon when Jinki talked to her, how her eyes brighten when Gwiboon started talking about Jinki as if she gave Taeyeon more information about him. For Gwiboon, it was clear as crystal to know that Taeyeon was secretly having a crush on Jinki.

Gwiboon looked at herself at the mirror in that female restroom and for the first time in her life, she felt she wasn’t that pretty anymore. She used to think that she’s the prettiest girl at school, winning prom queen for 2 consecutive years since junior high school, now she felt like an evil queen in snow white fairytale and as she asked the magic mirror, it said that there’s another girl that prettier than her. Only in Gwiboon’s case, the evil queen didn’t hate snow white for beating up her pretty face, instead she’s happy and approved it. And if that another pretty face can get her the prince charming, then she has to consent it.  Even though it was the same prince who took her first playing and riding his horse. Yes, Gwiboon never forget that, the memory of Jinki took her for the first time with his first black bicycle to see the world outside. Gwiboon equalized the scene just like a prince took the princess away by his horse.  For Gwiboon, Jinki was that prince, who had saved her from the fetters of the dark castle (read her house) owned by the wicked dinosaur (read Jonghyun).

But now, Gwiboon thought Jinki must save another princess. A princess who had experienced many bad things in her life, things that one shouldn’t gone through in such a young age. And now that princess was looking for love, and the Prince must make her dream come true. 

There was sting in her heart though, when she thought about the picture of Taeyeon and Jinki together. Because Gwiboon had been denying her own feeling, too thick headed to admit that she fell in love with Jinki  since she was seven. But the thing was, she couldn’t figure how’s Jinki feeling towards her. Too afraid to know if he just sees her no more than just a young sister. Because if Jinki liked her, he should have confessed to her long time ago. Jinki was adult enough to admit if he liked someone. In the other side, Gwiboon whom people knew as the most confident girl in high school, weirdly wasn’t confident enough to tell Jinki about her feeling. She was also afraid if she confess, it would ruin their close relationship. She just couldn’t do that.

As for now, the only she could do was just sobbing. Because she liked Jinki alot, and she couldn’t hate Taeyeon for having crush on him.

 

--

Jinki and Taeyeon had been spending more time together with this private tutoring. It was until Jinki realized how he missed spending time with Gwiboon. Since the tutoring, the times they usually spent together were getting lessen. They would probably still be together during lunch break, but there’s also Taeyeon. Jinki couldn’t even remember the last time they spent the time only two together. There was no more Gwibbon asking him to accompany shopping around the mall, it’s been months since they went to the Movie theater as their week end routine activity, or weeks since the last time Gwiboon stubbornly insisted Jinki to come by and watch Scary Movie with her. Gwiboon even rarely called him at night, disturbing him in his slumber or during his deadline night paper. She wasn’t even there just to ruin his focus reading the series of Sherlock Holmes in the library.

So on Sunday, Jinki decided to visit Gwiboon too early in the morning in her house. Being friend to both Jonghyun and Gwiboon, Jinki easily entered the house through the kitchen door, greeting Gwiboon’s mother who was preparing breakfast. Mrs.Kim looked happy welcoming him and shoved Jinki cheese toast in his mouth, insisting him to eat more and more of it. Jonghyun came with sleepy face and pouted seeing how his mother pampered Jinki sweetly and he protested how his mother seemed like wanting Jinki as her own son and not him. But Mrs.Kim squeezed his cheeks while on the same time kissing his head, telling herself how on earth she had given a birth to this jealousy baby dino.

Mrs.Kim called Gwiboon from the kitchen, saying that the breakfast was ready and she should come down since Jinki was also there but no reply. Jonghyun said that Gwiboon was probably still sleeping. Mrs. Kim was about to wake her up, walking to her room when Jinki stopped her immediately and said to her to let him do that instead since she was still busy with the tea.

Mrs.Kim smiled at him, cupping his cheeks, “you are sweet boy, Jinki. I think it’s good idea. Gwiboon would love to see your face in the moment she opens her eyes in the morning” and with that she went back busying herself in the kitchen.

Jinki knew the house too well, the hall way, the attic and every single corner of the house. Gwiboon, Jonghyun and he had spent their childhood in this house most of the time, too big to play hide and sick for children, but too small to find Gwiboon as they grew up. Because Jinki memorized her favorite place in this house well. Jinki walked up to the second floor and soon he was in front of her room. He knocked the door once, twice but no sound of reply from the inside. So he pushed the door and came in, only to find pretty Gwiboon curling up on her soft bed, giant baby bear pressed on her chest as she hugged it. He sat on the side on her bed, smiling as he learned her sleeping face. She was really cute. Dressing only on her pink tank top, soft blanket covered up to her waist, those tousled hair fell through half of her face. Jinki leaned up his hand and pushed the hair gently behind her ear, learning a soft sleepy whine from the young girl. The older boy only chuckled when Gwiboon shifted her body, releasing the doll and sprawled her arms, arching her body gracefully as she let out another soft moan. Jinki widened his eyes when the sight of her was getting too hard to handle. The cover was removed due to her moving legs, earning Jinki a look of that white pale and milky thighs and her s were pushed up beautifully, getting the poor boy there can’t help but stare at them, trying hard not to peek any further with his eyes. Jinki almost couldn’t believe himself how the cute girl he just had seen minutes ago but with only small movement could get him into dirty fantasy.

Jinki immediately turned his head away and now was looking at the desk next to her bed. The picture of her and him in one frame, with his hand on her waist and hers sliding through his shoulder smiled to the camera happily. It was Jonghyun who took their picture. It was taken during last summer, when her and his family having this trip to Jeju together. They lived as good neighbor and with Jinki, Gwiboon, and Jonghyun always played together since they were kids, it just made both families became closed naturally. Jinki took the picture and looked at it carefully. He smiled of those memories back in Jeju, where he spent the time together mostly with Gwiboon. Because parents were busy fishing with the yatch they had rented and Jonghyun was busy hitting on this girl he met next to his hotel room. So he accompanied Gwiboon most of the time in that three days summer vacation, visiting beautiful places, eating good foods, and in the night just laying there on the beach counting on the star, holding her hand, telling her his silly jokes, and just laughing with her. He would love to ask her to spend summer vacation in other place later this year, he remembered Gwiboon said she would love to go to Japan for summer trip. And he was planning to take her there, at least before he entered university this year. He sighed at the fact that he’s in his senior year and in few months later, there’s graduation. It scared him of how fast time had passed.  It felt like just yesterday when he took Gwiboon riding his bicycle for the first time.

“Jinki?”

Jinki was startled when he heard his name. He turned his head and saw Gwiboon had already awaked, surprised was obviously seen on her face.

“What are you doing in my room?” she asked then, almost blushing.

“just to wake you up. But I guess you have already.” Jinki put the picture back on the desk.

“But this is girl room” Gwiboon sharpening her eyes, “you aren’t allowed to come”

“Since when you forbid me to come to your room?” Jinki rolled his eyes

“What if I sleep and you come and…” Gwiboon stopped as she realized what had she just said.

Jinki frowned at her, and soon the picture of Gwiboon being on her bed, with the sound he had heard minutes ago, arching her body and pushing up her s to his sight made Jinki couldn’t think straight.

Sensing the awkward silent was getting worse, Gwiboon sat up and cleared , “I mean, you shouldn’t do that again next time, Jinki. You have to ask my permission when you want to come to my room, hence the door” Gwiboon tried hard not to blush.

“Okay, I’m sorry” Jinki spoke, “It’s just I didn’t think it would be possible. Even your mother was okay with it so I thought…but honestly, Gwiboon. I didn’t intend to do other things than just waking you up.”

“Wait, Mom permits you to come to my room?”

“She said you would be happy seeing me once you open your eyes, as if I’m the one whom you would like to see in the morning on your bed”

It sounds awkward, and Jinki couldn’t help but blushing first this time.

“WHAT??”

Jinki couldn’t tell that the burning in Gwiboon face was the expression of angry or embarrassed.

“Jinki, Gwiboon… come out, breakfast is ready…”

“Don’t mind them mom, they are probably making out on her bed”

They both blushed as they heard it. Stupid Jong, Gwiboon cursed inside.

“Erm, maybe.. we better get down” Jinki suggested, “I... well, uhm...see you downstair then”

Gwiboon didn’t say a word as he left. And soon when the door is closed, Gwiboon laid her body back on her bed, taking the cover up onto her face and whining audibly. Her heart was beating so fast because she realized how she missed Jinki. And waking up just to find him sitting on the side of her bed got her feeling anxious uncertainly. She’s happy but at the same time she’s embarrassed. And the thing that could cover those feeling up was acting mean to him. First few seconds, she’s happy but soon enough she wanted to cry, thinking how would she act around Jinki later downstair? She felt like just wanting to hide herself forever in her room as long as Jinki still in her house. Gwiboon breathed, and once she’s calm, she grabbed her towel and ran to the bathroom because her mother couldn’t stop calling her name for breakfast.

When Gwiboon came in dinning room, she saw Jinki was talking and laughing with Jonghyun. She was the last person taking the breakfast and in silence she ate the cereal and toast that her mom had picked for her. Jinki oftenly turned his head to Gwiboon and sent her smile, which was replied by Gwiboon awkwardly.

 Jinki spent the morning after breakfast helping Mrs.Kim with the dishes. Later when he’s done, he spot Gwiboon was watching TV alone in the living room. Without asking for permission, he placed himself next to Gwiboon on the couch, smiling teasingly. But Gwiboon didn’t squawk like usual, instead she just focused on the TV.

Jinki leaned on the cushion and kept looking at her with his famous cute smile, expecting Gwiboon to feel uncomfortable and get her attention.

“What?” She finally asked wildly, it worked well whenever he used that smile. “Stop looking at me like that you creepy”

“I miss you” Jinki blurted out, “When will we watch movie again Gwi? When will you drag me to go shopping again? It’s not fun when you aren’t around” he pouted.

“Oh really?” She scorned jokingly, “the last time i ask you to go shopping, we fought because you were tired for bringing my purchased items”

“that was because i was hungry” Jinki eschewed, “but seriously, i miss you”

Jinki could see Gwiboon was blushing even though the girl tried her hard to hide it.

“What is wrong with you? We used to hang out together, or you used to force me to hang out”

Gwiboon stared at him dangerously.

“Not that i mind, though” he grinned immediately.

She turned back to watch the TV screen and for minutes there was only silence.

“i just thought that...” Gwibon started slowly, “you are probably tired since you have been giving extra tutor for Taeyeon”

“Yeah, it’s true” the other said, “but it doesn’t mean i want to stop hanging out with you”

Gwiboon looked at him expectantly, “really?”

Jinki nodded to her and smiled. “Look, there’s firework festival tonight in town. Would you like to go and see?”

She was hesitant for a while, “only us?”

“Yes, of course. Or do you want Jonghyun to come along?” Jinki was about to call her brother outside

“NO!!” she stopped him, “don’t you dare!”

“Okay” Jinki chuckled, “So...?”

“Yes! I’d like too”

“Good, we’ll go at 5. You have to accompany me looking for a book first”

Gwiboon hit his arm but couldn’t help laughing and soon they were back talking and laughing comfortably like they used to be.

---

The best firework Gwiboon have watched in years, if she could express it in words. Not because of firework, Gwiboon had seen them before of course but because she was with Jinki after weeks not hanging out together. Gwiboon was extremely happy when Jinki grabbed her hand, holding it close to his while walking around, telling her that if he let go, she could be lost. Jinki bought her cotton candy and they shared. Jinki also challanged her to play some games, ended up with Gwiboon won these couple cute bunny bandanas. Gwiboon put one on Jinki’s head and one on hers. They then stopped to enjoy some japanesse street  snacks and ordered hot coffee latte. Still hand in hand, wandering the park like a couple. It was until the firefork party started, Jinki put his hands on her shoulder as they looked up at the sky and saw the fireworks shone and sparkled on the night sky.

“It’s beautiful” she whispered.

“You like it?”

“yes, I do.” Gwiboon turned her head, now looking at Jinki’s eyes, “thank you Jinki”

It gave Gwiboon this flip-flop kind of feeling as her stomach seemed filled by butterflies fluttering when they were looking at each other eyes like this. Him with that serious face, looking at her and she just looked back at him, expecting something to come out from his lips.

“Gwiboon i want to tell you something...” he leaned his face slowly.

“Yes...?”

“I... I...”

Ring...Ring...

They both jumped back as they heard the phone ringing. It was Gwiboon’s and it needed to be picked up, judging on how it kept ringing violently. Gwiboon saw the screen and knew it was from Taeyeon.

“Hello..”

It was crowded and noisy. Gwiboon must excuse herself to find more quiet place in order to listen to Taeyeon in the other line. Jinki tailed her from behind but not too close to give her some privacy.

“Where are you why it is so noisy?” Taeyeon asked.

“I’m in some place. Hey what is it?” Gwiboon questioned as she finally found a site that was quite far from the people, but Jinki was still near her.

“I seem disturbing you” the other girl sounded upset, “You must be busy now”

“No no, it’s alright,” She comforted, “are you okay there?”

“No, Gwiboon i can’t sleep”

“Why? Drink hot milk, it helps you to sleep”

Taeyeon sounded depressed, “I can’t sleep because i feel so anxious”

“Why is that?”

“Gwiboon... i wish i don’t have to tell you on the phone like this. But, ugh but i might be crazy if i don’t tell anyone and you are the only one who comes to my mind”

“What is it?”

“I think i have fallen in love with Jinki”

Instantaneously Gwiboon felt her heart stopped beating. The same sting came again in her chest as she heard it.

“W..what?’

“I said I think i have fallen in love with Jinki”

It needed time for her to respond.

“Oh...” she only said,

“I really can’t sleep just by thiking about him. Gwiboon what am i supposed to do” and then Gwiboon only could listen to her babbling, while her mind was blank. “Gwiboon?”

“Oh..uh..uhm..”  Gwiboon stutered, glancing at Jinki who was still waiting for her while looking at the firework. “that...that’s good Taeyeon-ah. I mean, you and Jinki hyung” she whispered soon.

“oh my God what did i just say?” Gwiboon heard Taeyeon cursed herself, “Too much coffee.. too much coffee” Taeyeon definitely talked to herself.

“Tae... “

“yeah?”

“We’ll talk about this tomorrow okay?” Gwiboon faked an excited voice. “i’d love to hear everything. Now it’s late. You better sleep. Save everything for me and don’t tell anyone but me....yet”

Gwiboon could feel Taeyeon was smiling, “thank you Gwi, “ she said, “Oh my God, you are the best. Now i feel relieved”

“Good, no problem..”

After they bid goodbye and she ended the line. She just stared at the ground. It was actually very bright on the sky with all those fireworks but the noise would be enough to cover her soft sobbing.

“”Gwiboon?”

She heard someone coming and she didn’t need to know who it was.

“Gwiboon, are you okay there?”

The girl put her phone back to her purse hurriedly

“Take me home” Gwiboon turned to him just when Jinki right behind her. “Mom just called me, you have to take me home. It’s late”

“B-but..we barely watched the firework, your Mom said we could get home at ten”

“My mom wants me to go home now”  She cut him in cold voice, looking away.

“Gwiboon are you okay?”

But she didn’t listen as she stormed away straightly to the road. Too fast that got Jinki hard to tail her, thanks to the crowded people in the park. Jinki kept calling Gwiboon from behind but she didn’t even turn her head or wait for him to catch. It confused Jinki in frustrating way.

Gwiboon stopped a taxi but before she stepped in to the car Jinki stopped her.

“Gwiboon what is wrong with you?” He pulled her back, making her turn around facing him. For good few seconds they looked at each other eyes and it almost broke Gwiboon heart even more knowing how desperate Jinki’s eyes searching for answer on hers. Jinki looked good that night, oh how Gwiboon would like to kiss him under the firework sky. But the only thing Gwiboon do then was just tip-toed and hugged him tightly. Gwiboon was sure it would just going to confuse the older guy but at the moment that was she could only tell.

“thank you” she whispered, “see you at school”

And with that Gwiboon pulled away and turned back, entering the car in fast almost didn’t let Jinki could see her face as the guy just stunned there, looking completely dazed.

As for Gwiboon, Jinki didn’t have to see how she cried right after the taxi moved further from him.

---

Jinki didn’t call her since that night. But Gwiboon could see why as they welcomed exam weeks. But more of it, Gwiboon knew Jinki probably also gave her more time to be alone. And she indeed wanted to be alone because she stopped calling Jinki or sent him text messages, telling him she needs to focus on exam,

Taeyeon had told her everything in the next morning after that firework night and Gwiboon faked her happiness through her face. Gwiboon never saw Taeyeon had been in love like that, happy and lively. Gwiboon never wanted to destroy her hope to be loved back  by Jinki by saying that she also had the same feeling too to the older boy. Gwiboon had everything that Taeyeon didn’t have. Taeyeon was’t as lucky as Gwiboon, who was born as a wealthy daughter and had parents who loved her so much. She could buy everything she wanted, she could be anywhere she wanted. But Taeyeon, she only had a grandfather who was old enough to work as gardener and a mother who worked in a chinese restaurant in town. Her life had been hard already with her family and the trauma she had to deal with the bullying in her previous school. It wasn’t just fair for kindhearted and pretty girl like her to live such a hard life since young. Gwiboon wanted to make her happy, and it’s Jinki.

So when the exam weeks were over and the school was preparing a prom, an anual dance party at school, Taeyeon looked excited as she read the announcement on the school board.

“If only i could ask Jinki oppa to be my dance partner” Taeyeon said as they walked home together.

Gwiboon gripped her bag strap tightly. She remembered her first prom. She was 15 and Jinki was 16 in his junior year. He asked Gwiboon to go with him to the Prom. She was a junior highschool in senior year and girl from junior highschool only could attend the high school Prom when she’s asked by the high school student.  She was happy that night cause all her friends couldn’t attend the prom because no high school students ask them but her, with Jinki could go. And they were chosen as King and Queen prom for the first time. And ever since then, in every year at Prom they would always go together as partner.

“What do you think, Gwiboon? Do you think Jinki would ask me to go to Prom this year?” Taeyeon asked her. Gwiboon only looked at her, giving her that knowing smile again.

“Of course... I’ll set you up”

“Really?” She widened her eyes in excitement.

When Gwiboon nodded, Taeyeon jumped at her and hug her tightly saying “thank you thank you” in joy.

Gwiboon smiled, but inside she cried.