chapter 1; new semester

The Moonlight's Path
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 1; new semester

It was the start of a new and last semester of the school year; meaning new priorities, new experiences, new dramas and most of all new beginnings. And no, not everyone was fond of change, be it academic, personal—whatever, but this year marked the last year for Ryujin and her friends at Dongsan High school. After this, it was college and wherever the hell life decided to take them. They were scared of change, but something had to.

And it all starts with a new day.

That is, if Ryujin decided to get up from bed.

She nearly threw her pillow across the room at her alarm clock that was currently blasting some sort of static through its speakers. Chanyeol, her best friend and unfortunate neighbor, had suggested that she place the alarm clock there so that she would be able to wake up easier because she had to get up and turn the loud shrill off.

If only.

Instead, she covered herself with her blanket, in sad attempt to hide from the noise. But seeing as how the alarm clocks’ relentless cries refuse to cease without her getting up from her bed, she decided to peek through her blanket and glare at the clock—taking note to hurt Chanyeol in some sort of way for even suggesting this to her.

Apparently she wasn’t the only one bothered by the painful noise because her door slammed open, revealing her very, very sleepy little baby brother, Jungkook. She smiled happily when he turned off the clock for her but let out a yelp when he through one of her shoes at her.

“Hey! What was that for?!”

“For not turning your alarm, idiot!,” he snapped back, “Seriously, it’s been ringing for 10 minutes, how could you not hear it?”

She pouted lightly and got up, ruffling her hair with a sheepish smile, “Sorry, I was too lazy to get up and turn it off.”

Jungkook looks at her for a second before letting out a sigh, “Lazy bum. But now that you’re up, go make something to eat. I’m hungry.”

“Isn’t dad awake? It’s his turn to cook breakfast!”

Jungkook picked up another shoe from the floor and tossed it at Ryujin’s thigh, “No. It’s yours now since you woke me up.”

“Says who?”

“My picture hangs directly over the fireplace, which means I lord over this house.”

She stands up, glaring at her younger brother, “So not fair! You put it there!”

 

 

 

“Tell me why you coming in our house whenever you please isn’t considered trespassing?” Jungkook asked, chewing thoughtfully at a piece of a pancake Ryujin had obediently cooked. Beside him was Chanyeol who was also eating a plate, gleefully smiling at his best friends’ younger sibling.

“Well, one, the door is always unlocked the second you guys grab the morning paper which isn’t very safe,” the elder explains, “and two, I’m always invited here because you guys love me, so you wouldn’t call the cops for anything I do, right?”

“Now let’s not get ahead of ourselves.” Ryujin chuckled, finishing the dishes, grabbing an apple and taking a large bite. She sent a triumphant smile towards Chanyeol’s pouting face before throwing a piece of almond at his face.

“Hey—“

“That’s for moving my alarm clock, you prick.”

“So it was your idea!” Jungkook accused, tossing his fringe to the side to glare at his elder properly.

“For a good cause, I swear!”

 

 

 

Ryujin and Chanyeol walked on campus, the tall boys’ arms slung leisurely around the girls’ shoulder. She tried shrugging it off considering that the male made her self-conscious about her height. But to no avail, so she dealt with his heavy arm with a pout.

Once they approached the crowds of students, many of them bowed respectively at them and greeted them with a bright “good morning, sunbae!” Seeing as how Ryujin and Chanyeol were the senior class’ Secretary and Treasurer; it was to be made clear that they were respected by all the classmen so that they don’t get into trouble. Not many people cared either way; there weren’t any enemies or admirers—everyone just went about their business.

At least that’s how she likes to see it as. Yes, she and Chanyeol were on school board meaning respect was demanded, but they weren’t as recognized as much as the senior class president and vice president—also schools’ cutest couple, Kim Joonmyun and Lee Yejin; or—as they prefer—Suho and Ailee. They were the most admired and envied couple on campus for their ability to be a power couple and at the same time remain their perfect grades.

Suho, the class president, was standing as #2 in the class, making him the class salutatorian, after his girlfriend. Because he was the class president and a member of the schools’ basketball team, he had many, many admirers who unabashedly ignored the fact that he was in a relationship. But, being the gentleman that he was, he only smiled and apologized—most took it as a rejection and, sadly, some took it as neither a rejection or acceptance.

 Ailee, the vice president, schools’ choir president, and valedictorian; an all-round female that many of the students couldn’t help but fall for. Because of her, the school had been recognized for their music department and school spirit for the schools’ basketball department (since she was the one that organized the fundraisers for new equipment as a present for her boyfriend.) Like her significant other, she had also received a lot of attention from male suitors whom were soon discouraged when Suho presented his obvious distaste.

They were the dynamic duo that kept the senior class and the entire school together. Ryujin and Chanyeol on the other hand were considered as a more “average” version of the couple—which they di

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter