13

Sweet Nothings

[prompt: broken marriage! hunhan]

 

 

 

 

Luhan gathered his courage, he had to do this today. He should have seen this coming, this marriage was bound to fall apart eventually. It had been stubbornness on his part, trying to keep this marriage and perhaps, love.

However, he realised that there wasn’t any way he could pretend that everything was fine. It wasn’t and it hadn’t been. They were practically two strangers living under the same roof. The house that was filled with warm, laughter and love was now filled with tears, heartbreak and silence.

That wasn’t how things were supposed to turn out, he hated it. He hated what they had become, he hated thinking of the ‘what could have been’. Luhan was tired, too tired to continue on alone. This marriage wasn’t just made up of him, this marriage wasn’t just his.

This house felt more like a cage each day and it shouldn’t be that way. The cracks had been extremely fine at the beginning and when he realised how deep the cracks were, it had been too late. There was no saving this marriage.

Once a mirror cracked, no matter how hard you tried to piece it back, it won’t be the same. The same reasoning applied to their relationship, once broken, irrevocably broken. Not to mention that piecing those pieces back might hurt them more and he rather leaving it to be.

“We need to talk,” Luhan said when Sehun looked up at him.

“I am busy,” Sehun replied. His eyes once again on his computer’s screen. It had always been like this, work and work and more work. Luhan just wanted one second of Sehun’s time, was he asking for too much?

“We need to talk,” Luhan repeated. He had to do it today, otherwise he might never be able to gather up his courage again.

Maybe he felt that something was off and Sehun had asked Luhan to take a seat. “What do you want to talk about?”

“I want a divorce,” simple words but it had taken almost everything in Luhan to tell it to Sehun. It had taken him this long to see that this marriage was over, saying this was the nail in the coffin. 

Maybe it should have been over when they stopped sharing bed, when they stopped trying to understand each other, when they stopped – it’s over.

“No,” just like that, he didn’t ask for reason and had just rejected Luhan. “I – “

“I am tired,” Luhan whispered, his voice trembled. “I am tired of everything.”

“Luhan – “

“I – I did everything I could but it isn’t enough,” Luhan confessed. “Even superman get tired, what’s more me? I am just a human who had given too much.”

“Listen to me,” Sehun stood up and walking over to Luhan. He squatted down, taking Luhan’s hands in his. “Don’t do this – “

Luhan shook his head, “If you still love me, even if it just a little, please let me go.”

“I can’t – “

“Then you should have tried your best with me,” Luhan told him, shrugging off his hands. He took off his wedding ring, the ring which he had never taken off ever since that time when Sehun put it on for him.

Placing it in Sehun’s palm, he gave him a watery smile. “I am sorry, I am sorry that our love isn’t strong enough. I am sorry that maybe I didn’t love you enough to stay.”

With that, Luhan walked out of the room and out of Sehun’s life.