Darkness

Stargazer

When it is dark enough, you can see the stars 

-Ralph Waldo Emerson 

 

 

The days passed by and before they knew it, the pair had been friends for two full weeks. 

Two weeks of whispering and passing notes in class, playing soccer together and talking endlessly at their "secret" corner where they had shared their first lunch together. 

 

Speaking of lunch, Luhan had come to realize that eating with Xiumin was becoming a big problem. 

 

You see, since Luhan still refused to bring his own lunches to school, Xiumin had made it his mission in life to make sure that the boy still ate, as he in Xiumins' opinion was way too skinny.  

This soon became a problem for Luhan, since he couldn't turn down the offers, afraid to upset the other and make him sad. But he couldn't always tell Xiumin that he had to go to the bathroom afterwards either. 

 

That's why Luhan had to do something to avoid making his friend suspicious of him, and that’s why Luhan had to do something he really hated but did all the time...  

He had to come up with a lie. 

The lie was basically a back-up plan, just in case Xiumin began asking questions. 

 

Which he began doing sooner than Luhan had expected. 

 

"So tell me Luhan... Do you have a problem with your bladder, or is it just a ritual of yours?" 

 

"Huh?" 

 

"You know, going to the bathroom every single day after lunch. I know that some people have small bladders, but seriously Lu, you never miss a day". 

 

Even though Luhan felt warm after hearing the nickname roll of Xiumin's tounge, he felt his blood turn to ice at the same time. Seems like he'd need that back-up plan sooner than he'd thought. 

 

"Well... the truth is that I... I have diabetes. That's why I always go to the bathroom after lunch, sometimes before as well". 

 

There, he did it. All he could hope for right now was for Xiumin to take the bait. 

 

He did. 

 

"Aaah so that's how it is! Why didn't you tell me sooner?" 

 

"I didn't think that it was such a big deal..." 

 

"Of course it's a big deal! What if I find you one day and you've fainted from low blood-sugar or something? How would I know then that it could be life-threatening to you. But hey! If you have diabetes, how come that you eat so little? Isn't it very important to keep your blood-sugar from dropping when you have diabetes?" 

 

Oh ouLuhan had completely forgot to think about that part of the story. 

 

Just as he was about to make up a really bad plan B lie, the bell announced the end of lunch and they headed back for their respective classrooms. Xiumin had biology while Luhan had math, so they parted and Luhan followed his usual "after-lunch-ritual" : 

 

  1. Find an empty bathroom 

  1. Double-check that nobody is entering or is already there 

  1. Remove food from stomach 

  1. Use breath-spray 

  1. Act as if nothing has happened 

 

After that was done and over with, he went to class as usual and before he knew it, the lesson was over. Remembering that the rest of his classes for the day had been canceled, he packed his bag and was ready to go and say goodbye to Xiumin 

 

Sadly, Xiumin didn't like this one bit. 

 

"But if you go home I'll be lonely. And I wanted to hang out with you after school too... We've been friends for two weeks and we still haven't hung out outside of school once". 

 

The older of the two was sporting a big pout and puppy-eyes, making him look even younger than he already was/looked. 

 

The truth was that Luhan really wanted to hang out with Xiumin, but the fear of being found out was even stronger. But after seeing how much the other wanted this, he agreed on coming back to school in a couple of hours after Xiumin's lessons had ended. 

 

When Xiumin went back to class, Luhan decided to use his extra time to do something he really needed to do. Exercise. 

 

Changing into the extra t-shirt and sweatpants which he had had in his locker, Luhan decided to make a visit to the schools' gym. 

 

Since most people still had lessons, or had gone home, he was alone at the gym which suited him perfectly. This way, nobody would have to see his ugly, fat body. 

 

Luhan always works his body over his limits at the gym, or when he exercises in general.  

Running at the treadmill until his legs give out for the 10th time, doing push-ups and sit-ups until his whole body is screaming for mercy and dancing the most exhausting dances he could find from his favourite k-pop groups. Anything, in order to burn off those awful calories and get the body he desired.  

 

Anything in order to feed the voice in his head, bribing it to shut up. 

 

After about 3 hours in hell, Luhan realized that Xiumins' lessons would end soon, and that he'd better hurry up if he wanted to look anything else but a sweating (fat) pig. 

 

He made it just in time, because as soon as he  exited the gym, the halls began to fill up with students again. Taking a seat at one of the sofas close to Xiuin's locker, he waited patiently for his cute little friend to show up. 

 

Minutes later Xiumin walked up to his locker, smiling and waving as he caught sight of Luhan a couple of meters away. Waving back, Luhan couldn't help but smile as well. 

 

"So Luhan, ready to go?" 

 

"I guess but Xiumin... Where exactly are we going?" 

 

"Oh you haven't read the text I sent you? That's alright, I was just texting to tell you that I'm treating you to coffee and cake. How does that sound huh? I know a café which makes the most delicious coffee! I promise, you'll love it".  

 

Luhan smiled on the outside, but on the inside, he was panicking. How was he going to do this? Eating lunch at school with Xiumin was one thing, but eating cake? No way! 

 

"Yeah, that sounds like a plan. If you don't mind, I have to go check my sugar before we go, is that alright?" 

 

"Of course! Go ahead, I'll be waiting here". 

 

Nodding, Luhan made bee-line for the closest bathroom, checking that it was indeed empty before entering.  

 

While creating a plan in his head on how to be able to leave the café as soon as possible once they got there, Luhan bent over the toilet-bowl, lifting his fingers to shove them down his own throat. 

Emptying his stomach, he felt the usual tears b in his eyes both from the sting, and from having to lie to his only fiend. His friend, who would leave him if he ever found out that's for sure. 

That's why Luhan had to do all of this. He had to lie to Xiumin and be extra careful because he couldn't risk losing the person that had become such a big part of his life. 

 

He just couldn't. 

 

And as he thought those thoughts while forcing out the last bit of content from his stomach, the door to the stall swung open and Luhans' eyes widened in horror. 

 

"L-luhan? Why? Were you...?" 

 

If the situation of Xiumin finding out didn't kill Luhan enough, the look in Xiumins' eyes did, over and over again. Pure shock, confusion and sadness... All of those strong emotions swum around in Xiumins' beautiful eyes. And it was all his fault. 

 

The last thing he remembered was that look in Xiumins' eyes and a voice screaming his name. 

 

Darkness. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

A/N: So how did I do? 

I know that this chapter is pretty short, but I have tests coming up + I'm trying to juggle between two stories at the same time here.  

I'll try to make the next chapter longer, and I hope you enjoyed reading this. 

 

Comments and opinions make my day! 

 

Byebye! ^^