The First Meeting

My Passion, Your Passion

Minhyuk smiled at the foreigners. Those people knew how to have fun at a rock concert. That was always how he'd imagine it would be like once CNBLUE was famous... Although sometimes, his dreams seemed futile, as they barely managed to fill up their gigs. However, this was one of the most memorable performances he'd ever done, and he felt satisfied as he gave his cymbals a final bang. It was also nice of that pretty girl to wave back. He didn't have much experience with girls, as he was always cooped up in his music studies, but she seemed so kind to even take a picture of him, not to mention to smile and wave back. 

They were cleaning up their cords when the group of foreigners, accompanied by a few fellow Koreans came up to them. 

A bright, bubbly girl with her hair tied up approached Yong Hwa, their lead singer and introduced herself in Korean. "Annyong haseo! I am Yeorim, and these kids are foreign exchange students from America. We really liked your music!" She gestured to the hyped up Michael, who surprisingly took Yonghwa into a bear hug. "Dude, that was great! I didn't know people our age could actually play great music! You should do the talent show at our school, dude, you'd totally win!" Yonghwa seemed a bit surprised and taken aback at the English. He shyly muttered back, "Thank you for liking our music." 

Jonghyun and Jungshin were putting away their guitars and Minhyuk began to disassemble his drums. He looked up and saw the girl, again, fiddling with her camera and looking back and forth between the band members. She seemed kind of nervous. Minhyuk, too, became nervous. He didn't know how to approach her, and it didn't help she was also American. 

She turned around and their eyes met. She gave a small wave and came towards him. His heart raced. He never felt this way towards girls...well.. the girls that actually came and talked to him. This was strange, and she was also extremely pretty and petite as well. 

Her hair fell past her chest and it was slightly curly, different than most Korean and Japanese girls' hair. "Annyong haseo. I am Taeri, and you?" She spoke with slow pronunciation, but it was clear enough for him to understand. He smiled and extended his hand to shake hers. "I'm Minhyuk. Nice..to..meet you...Taeri-ssi." He responded in slow English. He actually hoped she knew more Korean than he knew English, or else this conversation wouldn't be getting anywhere. 

"Minhyuk-ssi, I took some photos of your band. Would you like to see?" Her Korean came out with more confidence now, and he nodded as she leaned in and showed him her camera. She smelled like strawberries, and he was caught offguard by the nice scent of her hair. He blushed as she showed him the pictures of the band. At first, it was mainly Yonghwa, the light shining upon his hair and making him look so majestic. Then it was Jungshin and Jonghyun. And finally, a picture of Minhyuk smiling as he was playing his drums.

"Wow.." he breathed. "Do you like them?" she tentatively asked. She was very close, but it was customary for Americans to be less traditional than Koreans. "Yes, I love them! Do you think you coul--" 

"Minhyuk! Let's take a group picture with these Americans," Jonghyun called to him. He looked back at his unpacked drums and back to Taeri. She gave him the "come here" motion with her hands and when he hesitated, she grabbed his wrist and pulled him into the picture. 


Taeri laughed as Michael draped his arms around Yonghwa and her shoulders. "Post this picture online so we'll remember it when they're famous." Yeorim translated this and the band members began to laugh. Taeri felt another pair of arms resting over her shoulders. It was Minhyuk's arms. They were all connected and looked like a random group of teenagers, but the picture had a sense of camaraderie. 

Despite the language barrier, Michael and Yonghwa seemed to be getting along quite well. Yeorim and her friends took the opportunity to get to know Jonghyun and Jungshin, whom they probably thought were handsome. "Hey guys, do you want to go on a couple of rides with us?" Michael suggested. 

Yonghwa nodded encouragingly and the group departed, leaving Minhyuk to pack up his drum set while the Everland event coordinator waited around. Taeri felt bad for him, as he began to look back at his hyungs who had departed with their newly made friends. 

"Hey, do you need help?" she asked. 

"Sure.. I kind of need a lot of help," he responded shyly. They began to take apart the cymbals and place it into its respective cases. "So, how's it like in Korea? Do you like it?" Minhyuk asked her. 

She zipped up the cymbals. "Yeah, it's so beautiful here. I want to take pictures of every corner and upload it onto my blog. But I can't.. there's just too many." He laughed. "It's alright, but it's home. I didn't expect you to speak such good Korean." 

"Why? Is it because I'm American?" 

"You don't look Korean." 

"Yeah, it's my tan huh?" she laughed and exposed her sock tan, a distinct line between milky pale skin and the caramel glow of her tan. "It's nice though, but your features also," he responded. 

"I'm half Korean, half Vietnamese. My parents make me speak both languages so I can be trilingual and go to a good college. Something like that." Taeri bluntly said, as she flipped her hair over her shoulder and stood up. They both dusted off their hands and laughed. 

"Alright kids, do you want me to load this into the van for you?" the event coordinator asked. "Yes, please, ahjussi." Minhyuk seemed really grateful. 

He brushed his hair out of his eyes and for the first time in awhile, he actually felt confident and happy. The cool breeze rustled both of their hair as they descended down the steps of the Four Gardens stage. 

"So... how about some lemonade? Or ice cream? Or both?" he asked her.

"How about catching up to the group first?" she laughed at his ignorance. Wide-eyed he responded, "Oh yeah! I totally forgot... I have really bad memory." Taeri laughed, a laugh that sounded like windchimes mixed with the ocean breeze. It was pleasant to his ears. "But then we always have phones. I'm really hungry..." he persuasively said. 

"Alright, Mr. Kang. You said food, you lead the way."