Until Whenever

Never Alone

Standing on stage is where we belong. In front of fans is where we come alive. This is where we live, where we are able to breathe freely. You come to watch us, you come to cheer us on, you come to support us, you come to listen. And we thank you from the bottom of our hearts. Without you, there is no Big Bang. Without you, we don't even exist in this world.

Years ago, five different individuals came together for a common purpose: to share music. Music that could touch people. We did not care for winning prizes. We did not care for selling the most records. We did not care to become top earners. We did not set out on this journey for the money and recognition. Number one was not our target. Your hearts were. 
 
Our passion and drive have lead on us on a road we do not regret to have taken. To be standing here, hearing your chants and applause, feeling the love, that is the greatest gift anyone could ever receive. We stand before you, our hands raised in triumph. Five, forever united in this world by a fraternal bond, as one.
 
For years, we have fought our way to make it here. For years, we have practiced day in and day out, never losing sight of our dreams. For years, we had taken the good with the bad, the happy with the sad. We welcomed the scolding. We welcomed the critiques. It only made us better, more determined. It only made us focus harder on what we had set out to do. It only made our goals clearer to us.
 
So we practiced. We danced. We sang. We rapped. We talked, cried, and laughed. For years, we created a bond that nothing in this world could ever break. A bond that was untouchable. Unbreakable. These past years have been the hardest of my life. But, honestly, I'd gladly live it all over again, if it meant that these four were by my side every step of the way.
 
Brothers, all from different backgrounds, all with different personalities, who had come together and matched perfectly with one another. Through the years I've spent together with them, I have learned an important lesson: you do not have to be the same to fit in. Every time you think that you need to change yourself to fit in, think of us. Dong Youngbae, Choi Seunghyun, Kang Daesung, Lee Seunghyun, and me, Kwon Jiyong. Not a single soul in this group is the same. We all think and act differently. Yet all these pieces have come to fit together and create a picture perfect puzzle, as if we had been destined to meet each other. In some part of my mind, we were. 
 
Never had there been an argument. Never had there been selfishness. Never had there been moments where we've doubted one another. We trusted each other more than anyone else in the world. That was our bond. And we wouldn't let anything, neither fame nor fortune, get in the way of that.
 
Through these years, we have learned the most valuable lesson known to mankind: No one can make it alone. No matter whom, what, or how many, everybody needs support in some way, in some form. I am lucky to have found mine as early as I did. Four strong support systems I can lean on whenever and wherever I go.
 
We have waited a long time for a moment like this. To stand amongst a beautiful sea of people who all share a love of music, just as we do. This was our ultimate dream. The goal we have worked so hard for. We have waited and practiced for years to be able to stand in front of the thousands, sharing our work. 
 
Although the time was long, however, I sometimes think the streams of our tears had been longer. 
 
Illnesses, injuries, scoldings, and the disappointments of our teachers. All have affected us, all have tried to stop us, all have tried to block the path to our dreams. But with tears burning in our eyes, with blood running down our bodies, with our teeth gritted tightly, we stood and we fought. We pushed through the pain, we pushed through the adversities, thinking about the future: the faces of fans cheering us on. 
 
Hospitals are always open. They would be there after practice was over. Trainers were always in the building. They would be there after practice was over. The teachers were always there. And they would be there after practice was over. 
 
But most importantly, the other members were always there. And they will continue to be there. Forever.
 
From the moment we had met, to this moment right here, our journey has been filled with ups and downs. Obstacles tried to get to us, physically, emotionally, and mentally. From fans to anti-fans, from love to hate. We've gone through it all. Countless rumors spreading like wildfire. Made up lies trying to tear us down. Anti-fans doing everything they could to make us break.
 
But during the times we had gone through it, we were never alone. We went together.
 
One thing I've learned from our trainee days was to never let these small things get to me. So I smile in the face of anti-fans. I wave to them, I bow to them, I show them respect. After all, they are humans. They have a right to like or dislike something or someone. It's their choice. It is not my place to change them. Nor do I want to.
 
We do not believe in forcing music down people's throats. We do not want to make it feel as if you must love our music. We do not work for the fame. We work for the smiles. So as long as you smile, we will smile right alongside you, whether you are giving us love or hate.
 
Fans who had loved us when we debuted, fans who love us now, we do not want to hold you back. We've said it before, but here it is again. If you like another group, go to them. Enjoy them. Listen to them. Love them. As long as that beautiful smile never leaves your face, we are happy.
 
People around us always ask the same thing: what's going to happen after so and so years, all groups eventually disband after a few years.
 
This question strikes my heart in a painful way. I cannot even think about leaving their sides. I cannot even think of how life would be without these four by me. They are my strength. My armor.
 
Although I cannot tell exactly how the future will unfold, I know that these four will never be out of my life completely. So as for that question, the answer is always the same: as long as we enjoy making music together, as long as we enjoy being together, we will stay together. To put it in simpler terms: forever.
 
I will lead you in the front, I want you to push me in the back. A sentence that describes exactly how I feel. As the leader, people expect me to lead and shine brighter than the rest. But I don't like shining on my own. It's lonely that way. I would rather share the role. To me, being the leader means to make sure everything goes smoothly and they way it was envisioned, not to say how the group should be, what kind of songs we should put out, what kind of clothes we  should wear, or what kind of dance we should do. That role does not belong to one, but to five.
 
And that is what we present to fans. A culmination of ideas. A mixture of thoughts from every member. Our personal individualities are what has made us this strong. We do not wear the same clothes, we do not even have to be matching. This way, each and every one of our personalities shine in their own brilliant way.
 
People may call us idols. People may call us role models. People may say we are at the top. People may say we are the perfect group. And while all of it may be great, it does not stop us from working as if we were at the bottom. We work and work until we cannot anymore. We work until our bodies won't allow us to go on any longer. We work until our own personal perfection is achieved. We work until we are satisfied enough to present ourselves to fans: the people we treasure more than anything.
 
And now, here I stand, in the center of the stage, taking everything in. I look to my left and right, seeing my members smile wider than I've ever seen them smile before. I feel a smile of my own make its way onto my face as well. They were happy. The fans were happy. I was happy. Is there anything else that you could ever want? 
 
Suddenly, every light in the building shuts off. Every light except five. Five spotlights shining brightly on the people standing on stage. The moment this happens, I feel tears come to my eyes.
 
A spotlight on stage is meant to make a presence known. To make people cast their attention on a single object. To focus on the star of the show. But, to us, the spotlight belongs to five, not one. 
 
So as I stand here, smiling and bowing, I cannot think of any other place I'd rather be. I cannot think of any other people I'd rather be with in this moment. I feel both my hands grasp around others as our hands unconsciously find each other's. I take one more bow alongside my brothers. 
 
This is where we belong. And this is where our presence and music will stay and live on, forever.