Cliches & Creativity

Who You Are As A Writer

Starting things off with cliches first.

I'm sure that if you break down every recent story you read, (both novels and fanfics) there'd be cliches.

 

Definition of cliche from Dictionary.com:

1.

a trite, stereotyped expression; a sentence or phrase, usually expressing a popular or common thought or idea, that has lost originality, ingenuity, and impact by long overuse, as sadder but wiser, or strong as an ox.
2.
(in art, literature, drama, etc.) a trite or hackneyed plot, character development, use of color, musical expression, etc.
 
I'm going to look at the most popular stories from this website. Just going to click on the popular subscriptions tab. Read the summary and I'm going to list some cliches I see. I'm just looking at the surface of it. (A/N: I'm sure that I haven't read any of them. It's just not my taste or preference, the story type or pairing.)
 
1. Hate turns to love
2. Falls in love step sibling after a parent remarries
3. Falls in love with a cold but handsome jerk
4. Bad boy x nerd
5. Forced/arranged marriage
 
It goes on and on. But these are just some of the "very visible" ones. It's just the summary and I'm already turned off.
Just...whoa!
 
 
These cliches happen within the fanfics I read as well.
Once, I had asked my friend, another fanfic writer/reader about their opinion on cliches.
He answered, "I like them. I almost always incorporate them into my fanfics."
To be honest, I kind of dislike cliches but at the same time, I do find myself enjoy reading fanfics with cliches.
 
Here's the conclusion.
You can include cliches but just don't...just don't make it so evident.
The same friends says, as long as the summary and title doesn't give away the plot but at the same time sounds intriguing. (Refer back to my earlier chapters if needed.)
 
Let's say, using The Infernal Devices by Cassandra Clare, The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins and Gone by Michael Grant for example.
All 3 series are classified as different genres. The Infernal Devices is more of fantasy, The Hunger Games is more of science fiction, Gone is more of supernatural.
 
But they all contain the same cliche in which the main character is like the "chosen" one. One has to defeat the "evil" to save the "world". In both The Infernal Devices and The Hunger Games, there's a love triangle. I'm sure that most people don't just read the book for romance, they read it because they thought the story was interesting. Despite the cliches that are included.
 
If you break it down, it does contain the similar ideas. But it isn't as evident as in the fanfics I'm looking at right now.
 
Bottom line is, similar ideas are ok, but try to put in your own elements, put in your own thoughts. After all, behind every story is a theme, the author's perception of life, or something that pertains to life.
 

Off to the next topic.

Creativity is related to cliches as well.

Think about some of the most popular books in literature. For example, The Lord of the Flies, To Kill a Mockingbird, Fahrenheit 451, etc.

Children abandoned on an island and started to kill, a girl who learns the a side of reality of stereotypes and racism, and society burning books thinking that it'd solve problems.

Aren't these plots intriguing and creative?

What's happening to us, writers now?

Where did the creativity go?

Why are we reusing ideas over and over again nowadays?

 

We don't have to follow what others write and think.

Writers should write what they feel, what they think,and what they like.

Don't think that there has to be a limit. There's no limit to creativity.

 

"You can't use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have." -Maya Angelou

 

My message to writers:

 

Don't be afraid to use your "crazy" thoughts, cause' not everyone's the same. Everyone is unique. Draw ideas from your own personal beliefs or every day events, anything.

If life or love is so easily defined, then why isn't everyone happy? Why is there hate? Why are there problems? Why are there divorces? Why are there murders?

It goes on and on. 

We have the ability to be different because we all are different.

 

~~~

A/N: Feel free to comment and share your ideas and thoughts.