The Smile Only For You

That Special Smile Of Yours

"Here goes nothing." Sera looked at herself in the mirror with a contented sigh. Despite her protests, Rose dragged her to the mall to buy her a dress for the prom. It was a pearl pink, floor-length sleeveless gown with beaded upper bodice and a flowing silhouette which hugged her petite figure perfectly. Her hair were down in loose curls along with a little lip gloss and eyeliner, giving her an innocent yet elegant vibe. She still didn't know how she'll act infront of Baekhyun after ignoring him for the whole week, not telling him the reason behind her odd behaviour. She was pulled out of her thoughts by the sound of the door bell. Figuring that Mark was here to pick her up, she did a final check in the mirror before wearing her silver beaded heels and making her way towards the door, revealing Mark in a black tux and hair styled in a side way fringe.
"Woah....is that you, princess? God you look fabulous! Where were you hiding this beauty- uh I mean you were always pretty but...wow. I feel so blessed to have you as my date. I am sure Baekhyun wouldn't be able to keep his eyes off of you." Mark had that smug smile on his face, looking proud than ever. 
"Thanks a lot, Mark. You look no less than a prince charming either. And no, Baekhyun would be busy with...stuff, yeah, instead of keeping his eyes on me. Don't give me false hopes, you." she said poking his chest with her index finger. 
"Where's Rose? You didn't pick her up yet?"
"She caught a flu, that careless woman. I went to check up on her a while ago, she couldn't talk without coughing or sneezing after every five minutes. Can you believe it?! Fate is playing games with me I am telling you! Just ugghh!" Mark huffed before crossing his arms over his chest.
"Aww I feel bad for you guys but it's okay. She'll be all healthy soon, don't worry there boyfriend. So...what now? You wanna ditch prom and go somewhere else?" Sera asked hopefully. Maybe now that Rose is not here, he will not force her to go to the-
"No way! Rose strictly ordered me to make sure that you enjoy the evening."
Or guess not.
"Yeah, I can certainly enjoy even if we go somewhere else."
"No, Sera. We are going to the prom and we gonna party hard no matter what. No thinking about the eyeliner guy. You are going with me and that's it."
"Yeah, fine. Let's just go." Sera gave in with a defeated sigh. No way she could win so why try.

 

The hall was crowded by the students and the loud music was echoing through the walls. Majority were dancing with their partners while others were conversing in the quite corners with drinks, having the time of their life. Sera and Mark carefully made their way through the crowd to the left of the hall beside the huge windows.
"Is it just me or the guys are really ogling at you?" Mark examined everyone with narrowed eyes. 
"Stop it, Mark. You look weird." Sera said with a quiet giggle but her smile soon fell when she saw what she has been dreading to see. Her heart thumped loudly, she suddenly felt suffocated and nauseous which was making it hard for her to breathe. Mark noticed her anxiety and followed her eyes to see what had made his friend turn pale. She was trying so hard to hide her vulnerable self who wanted to break down and cry, urging her to just bury herself then and there. Her eyes were pricking with tears when she felt a hand on her shoulder.
"No, you are not going to cry. I know it's hard, but try not to think about him right now. Don't even look at him, just smile." Mark squeezed her shoulder. "Let's have a drink, shall we?" to which Sera replied with a nod.
Baekhyun made his way through the entrance, but he wasn't alone. Yura had her hand around his arm, smiling sweetly at him like he was the only one she could see. He didn't know why, but he had this sudden urge to look for Sera first. The whole week was a disaster for him, he couldn't concentrate on anything because Sera was giving him a cold shoulder, and he was still trying to figure out the reason behind it. He didn't even prepare anything for the confession, thinking that he'll just go with the flow, nothing extravagant. He scanned the crowd and spotted her with Mark, which was enough to make his blood boil in anger again. He never liked the red haired guy, but then again he never had a proper conversation with him, may be he wasn't that bad, for Sera to hang out with him (a lot). Whatever it was, he still didn't feel comfortable in his presence, it was like...like he'll snatch away Sera from him, which was pathetic because he and Sera had been friends since forever.
Baekhyun stared at her petite figure, she was looking exceptionally beautiful tonight, the way her eyes turn into small crescents when she smiles looked so adorable to him. He felt his heart twirling, skipping, tripping and thumping at the same time just by looking at her smile because it was that breathtaking. He felt something he had never felt before, not even when he looked at Yura, it wasn't a mere spark, it was something else, a very strong feeling he couldn't decipher which made him restless. He was pulled out of his trance by a squeeze on his arm, he looked down to see Yura looking at him with curious eyes, but what startled him was that he didn't feel giddy like he used to when he looked at her. 
"Are you okay, Baekhyun?" Yura asked, noticing that he had not uttered a single word since they arrived.
"Uh.. Yeah, I am fine. Can you give me a minute please? I'll be right back." with that said, he made his way to where Sera was standing.
"Sera!"
She turned out to see Baekhyun coming, almost running, towards her and he looked like he had lost something. Before she knew, she was dragged outside, to the back of the hall.
"What the hell, Baek? Why did you bring me here?" she tried to break out of his tight grip on her wrist. 
"You answer my questions. I'll let you go." Baekhyun said with unyielding eyes.
"Seriously Baekhyun? What was so important about your questions that you had to drag me from the party? Do you know how rude  that was to Mark?" She questioned with a frown.
"To hell with Mark! Tell me the reason behind you ignoring me for the whole week! Yeah ok you had an assignment, but you were done with it by tuesday then why were you ignoring me for the past three days?"
"I wasn't ignoring you. I knew you were busy with....the prom stuff so I didn't want to bother you." Her heart was thumping against her chest and the bitter taste in wasn't helping the situation.
"Don't give me that bull, Sera. I know you better than that." She frowned at him before diverting her eyes away, his intense gaze was too much for her to handle.
"I told you, Baekhyun. Just because I was spending some quality time with Mark doesn't mean I was ignoring you." 
"Do you like him?" Baekhyun deadpaned. To say that she was taken back by his question would be an understatement. She stared at him with wide eyes, hoping that he'll take back what he said, instead he just gave her a cold stare with a stoic expression.
"Really, Baekhyun? Have you lost it or what. What kind of question is that?"
"Just tell me already!" Baekhyun almost yelled at her. Sera was caught off guard by his sudden change of attitude but she stood her ground and sighed to calm down her nerves because now was not the right time to discuss this.
"You know what, forget it. You're being ridiculous. I don't want to argue with you so let's just go, Mark must be waiting for me." she coldly said before turning around, leaving a frustrated Baekhyun behind.

 


Sera knew what she did was wrong and it must have hurt Baekhyun a lot but she just couldn't help it. Whenever she looked at him, the image of him and Yura dating would flash through her mind, breaking her heart again and again and she wanted nothing but the aweful feeling to stop. Instead of going back to the hall, she stormed around the backyard to look for a quite place to ease her mind, the constricted feeling in her chest was making it hard to breathe and no way she was going back in there to suffocate. She texted Mark about her whereabouts and told him that she wanted to be alone for a while  in order to clear up her mind. She sat on the bench beside the fountain and closed her eyes, savoring the quiet atmosphere, that is until she heard a distant voice of someone crying. 
She stood up and followed the voice just to stop in her tracks the next minute, the sight infront of her was enough to crush her every single hope, shattering her heart into tiny pieces...again. Tears streamed down her face and over her hand which was clasped over her lips, blocking the sound of cries as she stood there motionless. She laughed bitterly at her poor self.
what has she done to deserve this? Why can't she be strong when it comes to him like she is infront of everyone else? Why does she allow him to do this to her? She was so done with everything. Afraid that she might break any second now, she turned around and ran as far as her feet could take her before her knees gave up and she fell. She covered her face with her hands her lungs were burning, making it hard for her to breathe but the tears just wouldn't stop no matter how hard she, it was just too painful. She mustered up all the strength she had to get back to her place. That night she cried her heart out until her body felt numb and she fell into a deep slumber. 

 


After the talk with Sera, Baekhyun went back to Yura who was patiently waiting for him.
"I am sorry to have kept you waiting."
"It's okay, Baekhyun. But is something wrong? You don't look well." 
Baekhyun's shoulders deflated and he sighed, "I am fine, just a bit tired. I'll be alright." He said with a weak smile but who was he kidding? He wasn't fine at all. There was this nagging feeling in his head, telling him he was doing something awefully wrong, reminding him of Jongin's words. Maybe he really is dumb.
His mind was flooded with the thoughts of Sera and missed when Yura called him, "Baekhyun?"
"Huh? I am sorry I wasn't listening, what did you say again?" Yura sighed and held his wrist before pulling Baekhyun outside.
"Something is up, I can tell, Baekhyun. Tell me, what is it? You have been zonning out, it feels like you don't even acknowledge my presence. I was so happy when you asked me but now I am regretting my decision. It has something to do with Sera, doesn't it? You have feelings for her, don't you?"
It was more like a statement than a question which left Baekhyun speechless.
Does he like Sera? He admits that  when he looked at her, his heart started thumping like crazy against his chest, her smile was so mesmerizing tonight that he couldn't help but stare at those lips curved upwards. Her eyes were twinkling  that he just wanted to get lost in those beautiful brown orbs. 
And wow, Byun Baekhyun just had the wildest realisation of his eighteen years of life, that yes, he has indeed fallen for his best friend. He was such a fool for not realising that what he has been looking for has been there the whole time.
He was pulled out of his thoughts by Yura's chuckle, "So you do like like her, huh? I should have seen it coming. The way you look at her explains everything, Baekhyun. I was a mere fool to ignore it." 
Baekhyun felt guilty but didn't know what to say, he couldn't give her false hopes anymore, he has done enough damage and now he was going to fix everything. He pulled her into a hug and patted her back, "I am sorry, Yura. I can't return your feelings but I am sure you'll soon find someone worth your love."
Yura chuckled against his chest, "I hope he comes along soon because I am so done waiting," she paused to breathe and prevent the tears from flowing, pulling back she looked at him with a smile, "You should go get your girl before someone else snatches her away, if you know what I mean."
"Tch. I won't allow that." he replied smugly, but instantly froze when he looked behind Yura to see a retreating figure which looked very familiar before it disappeared.


          


Baekhyun was beyond frustrated. Sera has been ignoring him since the prom night, not even sparing a glance at the poor boy. He had tried calling her multiple times in hope that she would pick up atleast once but to no avail, and whenever he tried talking to her at school, she would walk away with Mark, not even bothering to look at him. He could just strangle that guy to death and nobody would even suspect him, being the innocent puppy he was but no, he had to be mature this once. He mentally sighed, thinking of every possible way to make her talk to him but couldn't come up with anything .Whatever he tried, lead to nothing but disappointmen, and his patience was running thin.
He missed her, the lunch sessions, their bickering over petty things, her beautiful laugh, the way she tucks her hair behing her ear, everything about her. How much he wanted to hold her and keep her close to his heart, never letting go.
He was still in his thoughts, making his way towards the small garden at the back of the school when he saw a figure in the distance. He walked with careful steps towards the tree near the bench and kneeled infront of the sleeping figure. He stared at Sera who was leaning against the tree, her long eyelashes brushing her pale cheeks, sleeping soundly with a peaceful expression and book on her lap. Baekhyun smiled and moved beside her, gently placing her head over his shoulder such that she was leaning on him and lacedtheir fingers together, wanting to savor every second spent with her.

Sera stirred when she felt a familiar, warm hand against her palm, delicate fingers interwined with her's. She looked up to see Baekhyun staring at her with dazzling eyes, there was something about the glazed look in those eyes that made her squirm under his intense gaze. 
Before he could say anything, she instantly stood up and started walking away with hurried steps, trying to get away from him only to be jerked back by the pull on her wrist.
"Not this time, Sera. You can't keep running away from me, so just stay and let me explain just this once, please?"
She turned towards him, her eyes dead with no emotions.
"There is nothing to explain, Baek.  What are you talking about?"

"Oh really now? You have been avoiding me since the prom, still trying to get away from me and you have the audacity to ask what I am talking about?" Baekhyun didn't want to sound harsh but Sera acting so indifferent wasn't helping the situation.
She averted her gaze away from him and gulped down the knot forming in . 
"Fine then, go ahead." she finally said after what felt like hours without looking at him.
Baekhyun opened his mouth to say something and closed it again looking like a dumb goldfish, not knowing where to start from. He said whatever came to his mind.
"I like you," he blurted, surprising both of them.
 "I mean- I... I don't know how and when it happened- I just- ugghhh why is this so difficult?!" he groaned, annoyed at himself for being such a coward and looked up to find her staring at him with big curious eyes. She looked so adorable that he just wanted to squi- ok stop Baekhyun, serious situation here.
He exhaled deeply, looking straight in her eyes and started speaking more carefully, "I was wrong when I said I liked Yura. The way I felt around her was nothing as compared to what I felt around you, Sera, which made me realise how wrong I was. You have always been there for me through thick and thin, holding me back up when I fell, being there for me to share my happiness and sorrow, to give me a piece of mind when I was being childish, putting up with me when I was in my worst state. The shared ice creams, bubble teas, trips to the near park and every other memory spent with you is more than precious to me. I must have been a fool for not realising this sooner that you are the only girl for me. Do you remember when you told me that my smile was special? I guess you didn't know that the special smile has always been only for you. You make my heart beat like crazy-as cheesy as it may sound- and I don't even know what I would do if you reject me now because damn, I think- no, scratch that- I am sure I have fallen hard for you." He paused for a moment to catch his breathe before looking at her again, his eyes filled with sincerity and adoration. 
"I like you a lot, Sera. Even if you reject me right now, I will understand and won't let it ruin our friendship." He may have said it with quite confidence but inside, he was nervous as hell.
Sera was so overwhelmed with the confession that it felt like she was on cloud nine. Byun Baekhyun, her best friend, the one she had liked since forever, was confessing to her and she couldn't help the tears b her eyes. She chuckled before looking at a very nervous Baekhyun who was looking everywhere but her and was really close to a panic attack, "Idiot," she softly whispered but Baekhyun quickly jerked his head towards her, indicating that he heard it really clearly.
"You are an idiot for taking so long. Do you know how long I have been waiting for this?"
That was enough to make Baekhyun's heart jump in pure joy. He grinned widely at her, making her swoon over at that rectangular smile before pulling her into an embrace, her arms instinctly encircling around his waist with cheek pressed against his chest, listening to his steady and soothing heart beat.
"So that makes you my girlfriend, right?" he asked teasingly, pulling back and placing his forehead against her's,making her blush madly. 
"I don't know, you tell me." she mumbled quietly, hugging him again.
Baekhyun laughed lightly, "Ofcourse you are. Just in case you don't know, you are mine and nobody is allowed to flirt with you and by nobody I mean that Mark too, do you get that?"
Sera pulled away, looking up at him with a warm smile," He is just a close friend, Baekhyun, plus he already has a girlfriend."
"He does? I feel bad for the girl,"
"Baekhyun!" she hit her arm with a playful glare earning soft laugh from him. He kissed her forehead, holding her close while staring at her beautiful eyes, "I can't promise you a perfect relationship but I promise that I'll never leave you." he said sealing the promise with a sweet, innocent kiss.

 

Hey guys! So this it... 
Sorry this one is long, clićhe, lame too but i tried my best.
I hope you guys like it ^^