Bitter Reality

That Special Smile Of Yours

"Wake up, you lazy !" Sera groaned when rays of light hit her face. She was so tired after the party last night, and was having second thoughts about going to school today but her so-called best friend, Byun Baekhyun, just had to ruin her beauty sleep. It was a daily routine for them, Baekhyun would always come early to wake her up and they would go school together.
"No Baek please, five more minutes" Sera begged, but Baekhyun, being the cruel guy he was, did not spare his best friend. "Five minutes won't make any difference, sweetheart. Get your off the bed before I drag you out myself!" Baekhyun shouted,annoyed.
"Remind me why are you my friend again? Because you are annoying as hell." Sera huffed, finally giving up and dragging herself to the washroom to welcome the dreadful day. She could hear Baekhyun shouting "Because you love me babe!" She couldn't help but smile.


Sera yawned and stretched her limbs after the long class. It was lunch time and she wanted nothing but to go back home,
snuggle up in her bed and sleep.
Just when she was about to put her head on the desk she heard Baekhyun coming towards her class and how did she know? Let's be honest here, nobody was as loud as Byun Baekhyun.
"Ayo! Sera, how you doing with those...er.. Panda eyes?"
Baekhyun asked teasingly. Sera sighed and hit her head on the table. 
"And whose fault do you think it is?" Sera retorted to which Baekhyun replied with a shrug, "I don't know, may be because you were partying hard last night like there was no tomorrow?" he teased with a smirk. Oh how she wanted to wipe that smirk off his face. "Go away Baek, I am tired." she mumbled. "No, I am not going to have lunch without you,  and you do remember that we have to discuss about the plan, right?" Baekhyun asked her. Sera felt her chest tighten. Of course, she remembered. But how does she help him to ask a certain girl he likes for the prom night when she can't even sort out her own feelings? Yes, she was in love with none other than her best friend. It's been a whole year now but she still couldn't muster up the courage to confess  because she was afraid, afraid that she might ruin their beautiful friendship, so she just kept it in, happy with what they had now. 
"I did not forget about it baek. Don't worry, I am sure we'll come up with an awesome plan."
Baekhyun grinned widely and hugged her, "You're the best, Sera! I don't know what I would do without you. Now let's just go because I can't wait anymore." And with that he dragged her along to the cafeteria.

 

"Seriously Baekhyun? The best plan you could come up with was to serenade her? Don't you think that it's a bit too clichè?" Sera said, giving Baekhyun an incredulous look.
Baekhyun groaned and slumped his shoulders, looking poorly defeated, "If you think you are a love expert then why don't YOU give me a 'non-clichè' idea?"
"Honestly Baekhyun, you just need to be you. I am sure Yura will like you the instant you look at her with that special smile of yours." Sera said and smiled. "You think my smile is special?" Baekhyun wriggled  his eyebrows and now it was her turn to roll her eyes. "Stop messing around, Baek. Just do what I have told you. Be. Your. Self." She said sincerely because really, she would have immediately accepted him if he just looked at her with that smile. She heaved a sigh quietly and looked around the cafeteria to spot that one girl whom she hates and doesn't hate at the same time. The girl Baekhyun likes. She was pretty, polite, a straight A grade student and everybody liked her, who wouldn't like to be friends with her? Sera couldn't bring herself to hate the said girl because apparently, it's not Yura's fault that Baekhyun doesn't like her back. She turned her head towards Baekhyun again and saw him looking at Yura like a love struck puppy. She gulped to get rid of the knot in , she can't handle this pain anymore. She suddenly got up from her seat. "Where are you going?" Baekhyun asked, startled. "I am tired, Baek. Let's just discuss this tomorrow, okay? We still have a week before the prom." with that she made her way towards the exit leaving a confused Baekhyun behind.

 


Sera sat on the bench at her favourite place. It was a mini garden at the back of the school with a bunch of students strolling around. She felt peaceful here because it was quiet, not because she always wanted to be alone, she was quite a social girl, but coming here makes her forget all her worries. The silence was short lived though, when suddenly, a pair of cold hands blocked her view. "Hey princess, guess who?" Sera smiled and turned around to look at her friend. "Mark, it's not hard to guess when i know you are the only person who addresses me with that name."
"I feel special," Mark grinned at her, showing those pearly white teeth. "But princess, if you think i am that special, then you can certainly tell me what's wrong with you." She looked at him with sad eyes and smiled weakly. "Nothing's wrong, Mark. How did you know I was here though?" "Oh I don't know, Unicorn instints probably." You both laughed at the inside joke, but then he looked at you with serious eyes, "Sera, is it Baekhyun again?" She looked away and felt her eyes brim with tears but she wasn't going to cry, certainly not infront of Mark, she didn't want him to think that she was weak. "Why don't you just confess?" 
She shook her head in response, "Will that make any difference? He likes Yura, and I am too much of a coward to confess and risk everything. All I can do is help him     in finding his happiness."
"You're his happiness, Sera. Come one, you can't just give up that way. The Sera I know is really strong." She smiled at her friend's kind words, but couldn't agree with them, she was tired of this unrequited love. She knew that the only way to get rid of this pain was to let him go. "Let's not discuss this anymore, hm?" Mark sighed but gave in, "Alright, princess. But know that I'll be always here for you, and if that eyeliner princess tries to hurt you again, just tell me, I'll give him a piece of mind." Sera laughed and nodded. She still remembers when they actually became friends an year ago, they were paired up for the biology project. He was a charming guy with an excellent sense of humor, the reason why they instantly clicked. She felt comfortable in his company and he was always there to help her, even when she was all devastated because of her feelings for Baekhyun, he was there beside her to cheer her up. Baekhyun was, indeed, her best friend but Mark was like her guardian angel. "How about we go to the ice cream parlour after school?" she suggested.
"How can I ever say no to ice cream? Let's meet at the gates, okay?" Sera nodded, "Of course!"
"Hey! It's time for my class. I'll see you later!" Mark said before leaving for his class.

 


"Hey Baekhyun, how do you know that she is the one?" jongin asked, looking at Baekhyun with a serious expression. They were all hanging out at Suho's place today,  because Baekhyun insisted that they haven't had fun for a long time (or more like he wanted to discuss about his prom night plan). "Huh?" Baekhyun looked at his friend, sitting beside him on the sofa, "You won't understand, jongin."
"But I want to know atleast, tell me hyung, why do you think she is the happiness you are looking for?" Jongin insisted. Baekhyun thought for a moment before answering, "Because, when i looked at her, I felt the spark. My heart started beating rapidly, and I just couldn't take my eyes off her." Baekhyun smiled dreamily. Jongin looked at his friend like he has gone mad and shook his head, "Hyung, I think you are going in the wrong direction. You should snap back to reality and try to think straight."   
Baekhyun was confused at the tanned boy's response, "What are you trying to say, Kim Jongin?"
"Nothing new, just that you are being stupid...again." Baekhyun could just shake his head, "You're impossible, jongin." But Jongin knew better.

 

Sera was lying on her bed, reading another fanfic of her favourite idol, when suddenly, she heard Baekhyun shouting her name frantically from downstairs.
She sighed and cursed under her breath at Baekhyun for breaking her tempo, she was so involved in the fic. "Are you high again, Baek? So loud, sheesh. What is it? Why-" but before she could even finish her sentence, Baekhyun leaped and caught her in a bone crushing hug, "Omgomgomgserasheagreedomgsheagreed!!" Even though he was speaking incoherently, she could still make out every word very clearly. She felt her heart tear in pieces and couldn't breathe properly, but she couldn't break down right now, not infront of Baekhyun. She took a deep breath and released herself from Baekhyun's tight grip, "Calm down, Baek. Breath in, breath out.  Now tell me, what happened?" she asked even though she dreaded the words coming out of his mouth. "Yura agreed, Sera!! She agreed! I followed your advice and went to ask her for the prom night, and you know what? She didn't even hesitate and instantly said yes! OMG Sera, you don't know how happy i am! It was like she was already waiting for me!" Baekhyun was so happy that he started jumping around the room, but for Sera, it was like her whole world came crashing down infront of her eyes. She has never seen Baekhyun so happy before, she wanted to be happy for him but her feelings prevented her to do so. "I am happy for you, Baek. Now all you have to do is prepare for the big day." she forced a smile, trying not to show how crest fallen she was. "Exactly! I still have to think about that, I'll ask Jongin to help me with all the preparations. I should really go now if I want everything perfect! See you later, Sera and thanks a lot once again!" Baekhyun gave her a final hug before leaving.