I Bear-y Love You

I Bear-y Love You

 

Hot. Stuffy. Dark.

Baekhyun sighs, looking through the two meshed circular holes that serve as eyes for him to see what is on the outside. Restless, he wants to sit down somewhere, tear this polyurethane skin away and maybe have a tall glass of nice cool lemonade in his hand. He can't walk fast, he can't bend and if he sits down, he will have a hard time getting back up on his feet.

He blames his round stomach, fat and chubby legs.

No, he doesn't mean his own. He's quite a good looking young man (that's what he thinks) with an acceptable body. To be more accurate, all the extra pounds come from the thick layers of foam he is enclosed in.
 
He's a rilakkuma bear.
 
He takes slow clumsy steps, his wide padded feet making its way to a group of school girls walking around the corner. He points to his stomach, sandwiched between two boards advertising the cafe’s opening. With an innocent and adorable face on this stupidly large bear head, the girls squeal and run towards him in excitement.

The girls crowd around him, whipping their phones out to take cutesy pictures with the big brown bear. One hugs its round tummy while another one tries kissing its face. Baekhyun thinks it’s ironic how the all photos turn out great even when he’s actually sulking and rolling his eyes. Right, the camera can only capture this stupid bear’s stitched on grin and not the human suffering inside it.

He waves and bows at them when he sees the school girls step into the cozy, themed cafe. Baekhyun’s world is spinning the moment he straightens himself, the large headgear bobbing in all directions before he can balance it properly in place with his useless round paws. His itches from the stuffy fabric but he can’t scratch it and he thinks this is a horrible experience that no one should ever be put through.

Unless, of course, if you want to earn some more money by working as a mascot.

He hears that damn music playing from the cafe, which means it is now time for him to do those wriggles and graceless jiggles. Don’t underestimate the dance, he remembers Jongdae telling him that, if you do it properly you can get more crowd.

“And more crowd means more customers which means you get this done sooner,” Baekhyun repeats like a mantra the words his manager tells him every single time he gets into the costume. It acts like a reminder to persist on till his job is done for the day. However, it’s also a form of threat from the manager that Baekhyun will be a bear for much longer if he doesn’t do his job well.
 
Rilakkuma and his life.

The brown bear starts dancing to the upbeat music in the middle of the street, waving its stubby arms and twisting its body side to side. It kicks a chubby leg to the left, and then another to the right and follows it with a hop on the spot. The sequence repeats with the bear shaking its and belly, moving left and right, kicking side to side and waving his arms up and down like a flappy bird. It just keeps moving around, there isn't actually any choreography or flow in its dance. The bear ends the dance with a small jump and lands with its limbs all widely stretch out to look like a big star.

“And then wave your flabby bear limbs!” Baekhyun reminds himself in the confines of foam cushion. He certainly does not want to go through a repeat of the other day where his manager burst into the staff lounge during his hourly break, complaining that he wasn’t cute or bear-ish enough to get customers.

Baekhyun swears that with the moves he is passionately dancing to right now, he can even attract female bears for mating, let alone attracting a bunch of humans into the cafe.

He decides to get this done properly so he can enjoy his break later on in peace and comfort without the nagging. He poses for photos with children, families, school girls and couples (even though his face is right now but that doesn’t matter); promptly ushering them into the cafe right after each photography session.

He can’t let his efforts go to waste. Every dollar collected inside the shop will make up for every minute of his time stuck out here.
 
Life isn’t fair.

 

 'ㅅ' 

 

Chanyeol takes a video of the dancing bear and sends the clip to his girlfriend. He hopes this can change her mood and make her happier because she has been acting really weird lately.

Girls always like cute stuff, don’t they?

 

 'ㅅ' 

 

It’s the second week of work and Baekhyun thinks he’d rather spend the rest of his summer break penniless than stay another minute longer inside this stuffy suit. He remembers clearly that he was interviewed to be a barista for the cafe, not as the poor soul stuck inside this lifeless stuffed bear.

He immediately forgets his pain and suffering of his human-bear fate, though, when he sees, in front of the cafe, a boy just a few steps away from him.

With his girlfriend.

Ex-girlfriend to be exact, since the girl left him just about a second ago with the words let’s breakup.

Baekhyun sees Park Chanyeol slumping down on the edge of the sidewalk, clutching a rilakkuma plushie in his hand. It is from the Berry-kkuma collection, and Chanyeol's one is a raspberry. Baekhyun isn’t sure if he should approach him or just stay still where he is.

He makes a decision.

He drops his round cushy paw against the back of the tall boy. Actually, Baekhyun wanted to tap his shoulder instead of touching his back. Clearly, the large paw proves that it isn’t made for precise contact.

His issue with the thick squishy arm dissipates when the boy turns around suddenly and looks at him. He manages to catch that look of surprise that flashes across Chanyeol’s face, which he thinks is understandable because who wouldn’t be surprised when a big brown bear with dead dull eyes sneaks up behind you? His bearish shadow looms over the boy and he gives a small, shy smile when Chanyeol stares long and hard at his face.

Then, he remembers Chanyeol is unable to see him, but it doesn’t matter anyway. Baekhyun is thankful for the anonymity he gets by hiding inside the body of a Rilakkuma bear, because right now he can’t tell if his face is warm from being cooped up in this costume, or from the creeping flush that is colouring his cheeks an ombre rosiness.

Naturally, his first reaction is to cover his face behind his hands to hide his blush.

And so did the Rilakkuma bear, doing the same with its paws that barely covers its big head.

He sees the edge of Chanyeol’s lips quirking up before breaking into a smile. The smile is small, nonetheless it’s a genuine one. Chanyeol shakes his head in amusement and stands up, brushing off the dirt from the back of his pants. He stands before the mascot - an oversized replica of the plushie in his hand - before leaning closer to look at the bear in its dull black eyes.

“Hey friend, thank you.”

Baekhyun’s breath catches in his chest from the close proximity. The netted material stretched over the bear’s eyes certainly doesn’t do justice to the handsome face of Park Chanyeol. The face appears to Baekhyun in grids and pixels when he looks out through the mesh.

"I like Rilakkumas. They always make me happy, just like how you made me feel better."

Baekhyun gulps. Chanyeol likes him? Wait, he remembers he wasn't born as Mr. Byun Rilakkuma.

"Here, have this!"

Chanyeol hands out the rilakkuma plushie in his hand to the oversized toy standing before him. Useless brown stumps hugs the toy, since there are no fingers for the bear to hold onto it.

"For your hard work!" Chanyeol explains with glee, patting its shoulder and squeezing a soft ear attached atop the big head.

Chanyeol whispers “such a cute thing,” before the he walks away opposite to the direction his ex-girlfriend went.

Baekhyun hugs the bear in his arms a little tighter.

 

 'ㅅ' 

 

He goes up the building to his assigned room. A new semester begins and the dormitory arrangement reshuffles. Baekhyun pulls his bags along the corridor, checking the brass number plates on each door as he walks by.

...613...614.

He stops before Room 614 and knocks gently on the door but no one answers. Sighing, he fishes for his student card. He taps it on the electronic scanner which chimes out and the door unlocks successfully. He turns the knob gently, pushing the door open and peeking into the dark musty room.

The last inhabitants must be one of those slovenly students as it reeks of fetid sweat, smelly socks, booze and rotting junk food.

The smell hits him and Baekhyun cringes when he steps inside.

He immediately switches the lights on and opens the window to let some fresh air in. The room is symmetrical; each side has an identical single bed with shelves fixed above it on the plain wall, a small simple wardrobe and also a study table at the corner. Beside the main door is a cubicle - a cramped toilet to be shared between his roommate and himself.

Autumn semester begins pleasantly, with clear weather and white fluffy clusters of clouds that adorns the expanse of bright blue sky in abstract shapes and patterns. He chooses the right side of the room and starts unpacking his bags. He arranges his comic books onto the shelves, chucks some tees and jeans into the tiny wardrobe and kicks the bags under the bed. He’ll finish the packing later.

The cool autumn wind blows, bringing in a blend of crisp fresh air and earthy smell of fallen leaves into the room. It makes the room more bearable to live in when the odour clears out. Baekhyun settles onto his bed, finding a comfortable position as he reads the latest volume of a sports manga with Raspberry-kkuma on his lap.

Almost halfway through the third chapter, loud knocks distract the man from his reading.

The lock scanner chimes a second time in today and the door is pushed open. The first thing Baekhyun sees is burgundy-red hair, and then coming into full view is no one else but Park Chanyeol.

The tall boy steps inside with a grin so wide it takes up half of his face. He bows deeply a few times in his roommate's way while pulling three suitcases into the shared room.

Baekhyun flips out of his bed, leaving the book and the plushie buried in the messy sheets. He stands straight, flattening the hairs sticking up on his head and tugging the hem of his sweater to spruce up. He gulps, a visible bob dips down his throat before he finds his voice to greet the boy.

He bends his head forward in a bow and offers a handshake after. "Hi, I'm Baekhyun! Your roommate for this semester..."

Chanyeol's smile couldn't have grown impossibly wider, but it does. He takes Baekhyun hand eagerly and gives it a firm shake.

"Park Chanyeol!" Chanyeol proclaims. "We share the same lecture right? Mr. Kim's class?"

Of course, Baekhyun knows who Chanyeol is.

He has been to every basketball game of his ever since that day he first met him at the sports centre.

 

 ----

 

He remembers that warm afternoon, it was sunny but not unbearable. After a soccer game with his classmates, he made his way to the vending machine right outside of the basketball court. The canteens and food courts were far away from the sports centre, so without much choice, he decided to get some snack to keep his hunger at bay. It was the nearest machine from the locker rooms, and his friends already went in to freshen up.

His wallet wasn’t on him; he didn’t bring it out actually. Luckily, he had some spare change in his pocket. He pulled out all his coins and slot them in before picking an option. He pressed the button and the machine whirred as he waits.

Baekhyun hated dishonest vendors.

He stared in offense at the packet of chips caught in the coil - it hadn’t dropped down to the base. His coins were already swallowed, digested, clanking all the way down inside the machine’s greedy stomach where all the money went. He knocked, kicked, pushed and slammed the cunning swindler but it was all futile.

A tall boy dressed in the school’s team jersey came to his rescue from the unethical machine eventually. He fed more coins in and selected the same option as Baekhyun. The coil spinned slowly and both packets of chips dropped to the base easily. The boy picked up the two packets and handed them both to him.

“I can’t eat chips, my coach will kill me if I get a bulging belly.”

The tall boy turned away when his team called and walked to the court to join them. As for Baekhyun, he stood there with two packets of chips in his hand, imprinting the name on the back of the jersey into his mind.

Park C.Y

 

----

 

Baekhyun isn’t actually sure who attends Mr. Kim’s class. The lecture has about a hundred students sitting in, and he has always slept that period away. Still, he nods and smiles sheepishly in agreement.

He steps back to let Chanyeol unpack his stuff and also, for him to calm his nerves. He is feeling jittery - being scared, anxious, happy and excited all at the same time, a big crazy mess of emotions.

His crush, Park Chanyeol, is in the same room with him, and they are roommates, what is he going to do?

Oblivious to the state his roommate is in, Chanyeol sets his luggage down leisurely. There are three large cases brought in by him, and Baekhyun is actually curious of the things inside them.

Chanyeol shoots Baekhyun a teasing glance when he sees the boy staring intently at his cases. "First one!" He announces, opening the black case. Rows of shoes fit inside snugly, utilizing the space to its full capacity.

Those are nice kicks, Baekhyun observed, but then, having the same design in four colours is absolutely unnecessary (read: those Air Jordans). He looks down at his worn out sneakers and then back at Chanyeol's shoe collection in envy.

Whatever, his sneakers are comfortable anyway.

Chanyeol finishes picking out his shoes. With only limited space in the shoe cabinet, he can only keep four pairs in and leave the rest inside the case. He pouts sadly when he zips up the case, knowing some of his beloved shoes are still left inside.

He asks Baekhyun to open his second case as he tries cramming a fifth pair into the cabinet. It does not work.

Chanyeol pulls the metallic grey one over and starts fumbling with the zips. Baekhyun helps to lift the cover up and just like the previous case, it opens to another interesting collection of his roommate’s, except this case is lined up with snapbacks instead. He lets the image sink in, needing a moment to accept this peculiarity of Chanyeol. Chanyeol grins smugly, taking out a cap and fixing it on his head.

"Impressive right? You can wear them if you want, I'll share it all with you!"

Baekhyun doesn't answer him but pulls the last luggage to his side immediately. He needs to know what other things Chanyeol collects. With hands on the zippers and burning with curiosity, he seeks for Chanyeol’s permission. Granted, he lifts the top carefully, opening the case.

There's a pile of clothes and... Rilakkuma bears. He sees their blank stares looking back at him and he shivers a little.

There's not just one or two, but more than what he can count on his fingers.

There is a rilakkuma in a pink dress and another in a bee costume. There are the classic ones but in three different sizes. Rilakkumas dressed up as hello kitty, or as some other animal, battery operated ones that can walk, rilakkumas of various collections, rilakkumas in hats and cloaks and even a few korilakkumas. And yes, he also sees their friend, that yellow chick.

"Chanyeol..?"

Chanyeol beams when he sees Baekhyun holding up his bear. He strides over to his roommate and squats down right beside him, picking up one of the plushies.

"I'll give this to you," Chanyeol says, placing the smallest one, a keychain, on his roommate's lap, "and help me tuck my friends into the bed while I finish this up!" He smiles, showing his proud set of pearly whites before he takes out his pile of clothes to hang them up.

 

 'ㅅ' 

 

Chanyeol thinks he's lucky.

His roommate is the best he can ask for, and the best he thinks he'll ever get. Not that the guy is capable of helping him with his schoolwork like his useful ex-roommate, Junmyeon, used to do, but there's something about him that tilts his world the moment he turns that door knob to see Byun Baekhyun inside.

"Instant attraction?" is Jongin's hypothesis.

The boys are in the locker room, changing out of their sweaty clothes after basketball practice.

"Not exactly! Chanyeol has been staring at him with googly eyes since last semester in Old Man Kim's class!" Zitao divulges, smirking as he uncaps his bottle before chugging the cool liquid down.

"Oh please, staring only at his back would be more exact. He's always creeping exactly five seats behind like a ert even his girlfriend can't understand why he abandons her to sit at the back all the time." Junmyeon reveals, shrugging nonchalantly when Chanyeol shoots him a glare.

 

 'ㅅ' 

 

"Maybe he has a rilakkuma ?"

Baekhyun rolls his eyes at the younger boy's words. He serves him his venti frappe, giving him more whipped cream just because he knows Sehun has a sweet tooth. Baekhyun wipes the countertop while his friend takes a seat nearby.

Sehun was his neighbour before he moved away to a much bigger apartment with his family. As they have been playmates since they were young, giving each other the best friend status happened automatically. Sehun's new home wasn't that far anyway, so Baekhyun hang out at his place often (there’s a gym, pool and cool facilities in the complex, much better than his old simple flat) before he moved to the school dorms .

The opening promotion for the cafe ended months ago, so currently, he can actually work as a normal barista. Since there’s not much customers now, Baekhyun decides to take a short break, sitting with Sehun to enjoy his free drink. Employee privilege.

"Didn't see you as someone who likes this type. Will you guys have kawaii then?"

Baekhyun smacks Sehun on the head, earning an indignant groan from him. "We aren't even dating yet you dumb !" Baekhyun scolds, folding his arms and leaning back into his seat. What does kawaii even mean? Roleplaying in cute costumes? He's not sure if that is even a proper word for the special kink, after all, he's aware of Oh Sehun's tendencies to create his own vocabulary when he gets excited. 

The automated door slides open and a tall, slim figure steps in, turning his head to look around. The person then enters the rilakkuma gallery - a section in the cafe designated for displaying all the rilakkuma bears and merchandise.

“You have a customer, move your fat to work!” Sehun points out, looking over at that direction as he bosses the elder around. Baekhyun rolls his eyes at him but still, he stands up and leaves his seat. Arrogance manifested on Sehun's face when he successfully dodges the hand that comes swinging to his face, an attempt from Baekhyun to wipe that annoying face off the rude boy.

Baekhyun’s co-worker is late. Usually, the girl manages the merchandising area while he stays behind the cafe counter. However it’s half past six already, and she still hasn’t turned up for the evening shift. Praying that he’ll be able to cope with the crowd later on, he walks over to the store section (and ignore his stupid friend) to serve the new customer.

He sees a familiar back - now bending down to look at the gigantic plushie in the lower shelf.

Snapback? check.
Hoodie? check.
Nike sports? check.

The customer stands straight eventually and Baekhyun can now see the obvious bowed legs and the large ears that stick out under his cap.

The only person that comes into his mind is his friend--roommate--crush.

“Baekhyun! You never told me you work here,” Chanyeol waves at him, face visibly lighting up when he turns behind to see the his roommate. He takes out his wallet and goes to the payment counter, and Baekhyun attends to him promptly.

“How much are those?” Chanyeol points to the one he was looking at earlier on. The big rilakkuma toy is holding a smaller one, both are wearing matching blue sweaters and red beanies.

“Those are from the winter collection, but they are only for display! The actual stock comes next week but if you are interested and is willing to pay first, I can pre-order for you now,” Baekhyun replies, sounding too formal and polite it makes his toes cringe from it.

Although they have been roommates for about awhile now, Baekhyun finds it hard to be perfectly normal around him.

Sometimes the tall boy comes out of the shower dripping wet, Baekhyun needs to exert all his willpower to not stare at the toned torso.

Or the other time when he was doing his work, how his heart was racing at the way his nosy roommate leaned against him with an arm around his back, their faces so close while Chanyeol looked at the notes and papers spread out on the table.

He shouldn’t be enjoying Chanyeol dressing up every morning for classes this much - picking out his outfit and choosing a cap to coordinate while rapping to some song. He finds the way Chanyeol looks at himself in the mirror as he styles his hair adorable and entertaining. Not to mention how he’ll get a wink from him when there is sudden eye contact between them.

Chanyeol does many things that makes his heart go wild, even when he snores and grunts like a pig while sleeping, or when he twitches and roars with exaggerated and uncontrolled laughter. Even something as simple as him blinking his eyes, Baekhyun finds it attractive. Everything.

Which is why he is in danger of exposing his feelings.

The warning signs are up - he has once accidentally blurted out about how kissable Chanyeol lips looked when the other man pouted at him over a petty quarrel over the room heater. Also, it includes the other time when Chanyeol chuckled in his bed after Baekhyun had muttered words of jealousy over the dumb toys that sleep with him. He thought Chanyeol was asleep then and got so embarrassed afterwards when he realised the other man had actually heard him.

Before he can ruin any sort of platonic relationship between them, he decides he needs to back away and tone down this one-sided feelings.

 

 'ㅅ' 

 

Baekhyun returns to the dorm after the end of all his tests. He slams face down onto his bed, groaning from the physical exhaustion that seeped deep into his muscles and bones. His brain is thoroughly fried too. He didnt’t even return his roommate’s animated greeting when he entered the room.

“Hey! You alright?”

Chanyeol pokes Baekhyun’s cheek with the soft round paw of a stuffed toy. Baekhyun cracks his bleary eyes open, focusing on the intruder to his respite. 

Chanyeol’s face comes into clear view, breathing so close next to him. In his hand is Baekhyun’s own rilakkuma bear.

He shoves him forcefully away on the face and snatches his toy back. Chanyeol backs away in mild surprise at Baekhyun’s aggression. “Okay, nobody is stealing that from you.” he clarifies with a frown, pouting a little when Baekhyun sits up looking small and apologetic.

“I’m sorry. Bad mood y’know.” Stress consumes Baekhyun easily. He figures he needs to learn how to manage himself better.

“It’s alright.” Chanyeol smiles in assurance. At least he knows Baekhyun doesn’t mean it.

He stares at the bear in Baekhyun’s arms, biting his lips as he wonders. That toy looks familiar, just like the one he gave to that oversized rilakkuma bear the other time on the street when he had his breakup.

Baekhyun catches him staring at his Raspberry-kkuma, and he's suddenly afraid. He doesn’t know what he’s scared of, but he doesn’t want Chanyeol to know or start suspecting anything.

"My cousin gave this to me." He lies.

 

 'ㅅ'

 

Christmas is in another week's time.

Seoul is illuminated with the colours of the merry season, from the strings of lights hanging from the frosted glass windows of the shops, to the decorations and ornaments on the gigantic christmas trees standing in the hearts of all bustling shopping districts.

The roads and pavements are dusted with white flecks from the first snow, just like powder fallen from the sky. It has stopped snowing, leaving a scenic serenity behind.

The snow isn't thick yet, but the weather has gotten fairly colder. Baekhyun huddles in his coat, burying his cold cheeks into his red muffler. He leaves a path of footprints behind as he make his way to the cafe.

He sighs when he sees that promotional poster for Christmas pasted on the chilly window.

 

 'ㅅ'

 

"May I look for Baekhyun?" Chanyeol asks the petite lady manning the counter. The female employee tilts her head in confusion.

"Baekhyun?" she repeats, "I'm a part-timer for Christmas, I'm sorry I don't know any Baekhyun!"

Chanyeol pouts in disappointment. Dejected, he steps out of the coffee shop.

Suddenly, his mood swings to the other end when he sees what stands before him.

"Hey, Rilakkuma!"

Chanyeol calls out, walking over to the human-sized bear. The bear freezes in its spot for a moment before turning around in a stiff manner.

"I'm so glad to see you again! Where were you? You disappeared after two weeks!" Chanyeol pokes the bear's tummy accusingly with a frown.

"Here!" Chanyeol unwraps his muffler and winds it around the bear's neck. "You must be cold right?" He giggles like a child  in his low voice as he fastens a knot on the muffler, making a pretty navy bow on the bear.

"Are you busy? I can stay here with you, I have nothing to do anyway… I don't even know where he went,” Chanyeol babbles on. "You know, there is someone I like, I'm not sure if he knows though. He's nice, really adorable and funny I'm sure you'll like him too if you know him!" He pauses and observes the bear. "In fact, you look just like him! Both of you have the same cute eyes and tiny upturn lips." Chanyeol gestures at the bear's face. He gets back to topic when the bear turns its face away from him. "The more I try making things obvious, I feel like the more he shuns away from me. What do I do? Do you think he doesn't like me?"

Turning behind to reach to his back jeans pocket, Chanyeol pulls out two tickets for a midnight movie, some new Marvel superhero flick in a nearby cinema.

"He didn't pick up his phone, but then I remember he's at work so I went to look for him but he's not there either." he continues. Waving the tickets before the bear's face, his shoulder slumps before he speaks softly to himself. "I guess these will be wasted then..."

He keeps quiet for awhile, staring at the tickets in his hand. He forces a smile and turns to the bear companion.

"Do you want to watch with me then? I'm sure there will be a bigger seat for you," he sniggers and points at the round bear . "Maybe we need to change to the last row 'cause you'll block the others!"

Chanyeol removes his smile and sighs deeply. He feels stupid to be rambling on and on.

"You can't talk right? Since you're working..." Chanyeol gestures at the headgear. He keeps his tickets and button up his coat. The air fogs up before him with each puff of breath. He rubs his palms together, warming them up before he sticks them down into his pockets.

"I gotta go then! Maybe he's done with work already." Chanyeol gives a small nod to the bear before crashing into it for a warm bear hug. The embrace comes so sudden that the bear reels a few steps back.

Chanyeol releases the bear, waving to it and calling out as he starts making his way.

"I wish I can keep you too, together with all my friends!"

 

 'ㅅ' 

 

Baekhyun returns to the dorm after work, around twenty past eleven to see Chanyeol asleep on his desk. He is still in his coat and furry hat, clearly, he hasn't changed for bed.

His heart clenches at the sight and his hand comes up instinctively around the navy muffler on his neck.

Was he waiting for him?

Don't think too much, he already has someone he likes, he reminds himself. It has never once crosses his mind that Chanyeol might actually like him back.

He takes the muffler off and tosses it onto his bed. He pulls up his sleeves, now he's ready to deal with this sleepyhead.

Chanyeol mouth is wide open when he sleeps, causing a small puddle of drool to pool under it. A thin thread of saliva connects between the puddle and his drooling lips. Baekhyun holds back his laughter and hauls the head up from the hard surface, shutting the mouth close altogether.

He pulls Chanyeol's coat away carefully, minimizing his actions to not wake him up. He takes off the hat and the goofy, elf-ish ears pops out.

Cute.

Baekhyun is on his knees, bending low to untie the shoelaces of Chanyeol's boots. He tries pulling those damned things off, and unknowingly it shakes Chanyeol from his slumber.

"B..Baek?"

Nimble fingers stop their movements and Baekhyun looks up, unwillingly. Chanyeol is rubbing his eyes as a lazy smile spreads across his face.

"I just- you're back this is great!" Chanyeol starts. "I have two tickets for Amazing Spider-Man and I was wondering if you mind..."

Baekhyun stands up and checks his watch.

11:27PM

He pities the boy. If someone doesn't want to watch a movie with Chanyeol, then he will. He can't let a good pair of tickets for a box-office hit go to waste (or so he tries convincing himself that this is the main reason). He holds his breath when he sees Chanyeol's lips spread into a pleased grin.

"I don't mind Spider-Man at all."

 

 'ㅅ' 

 

"Of all things you could have brought me to watch, you chose The Amazing Spider-Man 2 and then Gwen ing dies at the end? I hate bad endings and I hate you, Park Chanyeol."

It's 3AM in the cold, quiet streets of Seoul and there is no one out on the here at this godforsaken time. Maybe a midnight movie isn't that good of an idea after all. Nonetheless, they make their way into a 24-hour convenience store to grab a hot drink and some supper before heading back.

"You looked so embarrassing when you cry," Chanyeol comments with a mockingly, laughing as he darts from the elbow aimed at his side. "But your red nose is cute! Just like a bunny!"

Baekhyun blushes and sniffles unintentionally. Chanyeol stares at the subtle scrunch of Baekhyun's face with gentleness, smiling a little at that endearing sight.

He buys them a frozen pizza and when hears the ding! from the microwave oven, he takes it out and gives a bigger slice to Baekhyun.

"I'm repaying all the tears you shed like a baby with pizza so we're now quits!"

Baekhyun munches on the cheap instant food, pulling the cheese with his teeth as he walks out of the door that Chanyeol is holding for him. He turns to Chanyeol, smiling and baring his teeth on purpose to reveal all the yucky food bits caught in a mid-chew.

"Aye forgeeb ew!"

 

 'ㅅ' 

 

Most students have gone home for the holidays, except for Baekhyun who stays behind in the dorms because his parents decided to go on a spontaneous trip to Jeju without him.

Well, serves him right for not being a sweeter and much nicer son to his folks.

Unexpectedly, Chanyeol stays behind in the dorms too.

They enter their room and take turns to wash up before going to bed. There are no classes anyway so they can sleep in till the noon.

Chanyeol sits on his bed, listening to the newest Coldplay release on his iPod after letting Baekhyun use the bathroom first. That is when he spots his old, navy blue muffler lying among the unmade sheets of his roommate's bed.

He remembers that he tied this around the giant rilakkuma bear much earlier on, so how is it back here? He crosses the room to the other side of the bed to confirm if the muffler was his. His suspicion is right, the muffler was his.

He's not assuming things, because he can see the initials p.cy clearly written on the tiny white label attached to the muffler. He did this after a mix-up two weeks ago, which Baekhyun had a similar colored one too. He finds it puzzling how it ended up in this room.

Realization sweeps him up like a strong wave, washing all his confusion away.

There can only be one possibility: his roommate is the rilakkuma bear.

Byun Baekhyun is the rilakkuma bear.

He scrambles and catapults himself into his own bed when he hears the creak of the opening door, and Baekhyun steps out of the bathroom to see Chanyeol huddled in his sheets, snoring loudly.

“Chanyeol?” Baekhyun whispers, unsure if he should wake him up. “Don't you want to wash up?”

, Chanyeol thinks. His feet and hands are still cold from being out in the chilly weather and his breath still stinks of garlic chips and nacho cheese. Okay, most likely the pizza too.

He fakes a yawn and stretches his back, rubbing his eyes sleepily to make it more convincing. "Oh... My turn now?"

Baekhyun gestures for him to use the bathroom if he wishes, while he hangs up his coat.

He suddenly remembers something.

He waits for a moment and when he hears the tap running, he goes into a search for the navy muffler. He should have kept it just now and not tossed it to somewhere he can’t find. After searching around the room, he finds it on his bed, hidden under the comforter.

He lets out a sigh of relief and with a quick hand, he keeps the muffler out of sight. He hides it between his pile of clothes, shutting it inside the dark closet.

Chanyeol comes back into the room a while later to see Baekhyun lying on his bed with a comic book over his face like a pitched tent. Wanting to let Baekhyun sleep better, he walks over to his side and takes the book away.

He looks down and unexpectedly, meets straight into his eyes.

And he stares back, up into his.

Nobody moves and they didn't dare to take another breath.

Baekhyun breaks the eye contact away abruptly, blinking in a fluster and picking up his book from the floor which Chanyeol had loosen his grip on. He clears his throat.

"It's 3AM now so... let's go to sleep?"

"Ah you're right, it is. Heheh. Er... Okay... Goodnight Baekhyun."

 

 'ㅅ' 

 

Chanyeol climbs into his bed, setting his plushie friends down beside him while he hugs the largest rilakkuma he owns. He lies down for a moment, staring up at the ceiling. There is something bubbling inside him, something that wants to escape from his lips and form into questions. He wants to seek for an answer to his presumption.

He turns to the side but is faced with Baekhyun’s back. The moonlight spreads across the sleeping boy like a luminous sheer cloth while his body moves up and down slightly with each slow breath.

Chanyeol sighs. Pushing the plushie in his arm aside, he tosses over and faces the wall instead.

The words never come out; the questions are not asked.

 

 'ㅅ' 

 

"I'll be working on the Eve, so you can go to sleep first if it's late!" Baekhyun tells Chanyeol.

After movie night, the two have gotten closer, either eating out together or gaming in the arcades. More often, Chanyeol is the one taking the initiative to ask him out, taking him to interesting places and treating him to sumptuous meals.

Not that there will be discomfort between them, since they only have each other for the holidays. Apparently, Chanyeol told his roommate that his parents are visiting his sister in America, so he's left alone in Korea too. It gives them the reason to hang out together, if not, who else can they spend the holiday with?

Baekhyun hangs a few cheap handmade Christmas decorations on the frosty window, adorning the plain and dull room to liven it up with some festive mood.

Chanyeol hears him hum a familiar tune. He has heard of this song before, somewhere

Baekhyun starts dancing a little as he pastes the snowflakes cut-outs on the window. He shakes his bum, humming along to a cheerful tune. He finishes pasting the last piece in his hand and decides to go cut some more.

He turns to see Chanyeol staring at him.

"What?!" He calls out in amusement. "Help me with this!" Baekhyun requests, dangling the tiny string of lights. Chanyeol snaps out of his reverie and quickly makes his way to his roommate. He looks down at the shorter boy, before he wraps his arms around his thin waist and readies to hoist him up.

Baekhyun frowns. Puzzled, he asks what is Chanyeol doing, staring at the arms encircled around him. "Huh?" Chanyeol responds blankly, "I thought you needed my help to hang those lights?"

"No... I mean yes." But not like this.

"Nevermind, hang this all up too!" Baekhyun orders him cheekily as he darts out of Chanyeol's embrace, escaping from the awkwardness. He dumps a pile of paper streamers into Chanyeol's arms while he pretends to be busy cutting golden stars, unwilling to look up away from his craft.

What was that? Baekhyun doesn’t understand. His heart nearly lurches out of his throat and his mouth when those warm arms have wrapped themselves around him. His face is hot and he thinks he’s going crazy. Why does his roommate make his life so hard.

He nearly jumps out from his skin when Chanyeol prods his back.

“I’m done. Can we talk?”

“T-talk..? Talk about what?”

Chanyeol takes the scissors away from Baekhyun, worrying that he may cut himself with it in his trembling hands.

“Like, do you have anyone to spend Christmas with?"

Oh, Baekhyun feels his heart dropping from disappointment. He thinks Chanyeol is trying approach a topic carefully, to let him know that he will spend the special day with someone else instead. After all, Chanyeol has someone he likes, it doesn’t make sense for him to hang out around Baekhyun all the time.

“Yes I do. With my best friend!”

Baekhyun doesn’t want Chanyeol to pity him. In fact, he’s only working half day on the 25th. However, if Chanyeol knows he’s going to be spending Christmas alone, he’ll feel bad and guilty and Baekhyun thinks he doesn’t need that.

Baekhyun isn’t a lonely, friendless person. It’s just that he actually rejected any plans on that day with his other friends, assuming he'll be spending Christmas with his roommate instead. He turned Sehun down too, when the boy asked if he wants to go to a ski resort with him and the other guys.

Now Chanyeol’s face falls flat. His eyes are shuffling, avoiding Baekhyun's face, and he's looking very awkward and uncomfortable. “Okay then,” Chanyeol mutters, “have fun with your friends.” He excuses himself to help decorate the room with the remaining paper cut-outs.

 

 'ㅅ' 

 

Baekhyun asks for a full shift on Christmas the next day.

 

 'ㅅ' 

 

His boss is money-minded.

Instead of taking the day off to spend the time with his family and friends, he decides to stay in the shop to supervise the operations today. I anticipate great crowds, he said that morning when Baekhyun and his colleagues arrive at the cafe.

Baekhyun has never really like the pixie-faced man.

Luhan, he tells his employees to call him that. The Chinese man is the owner of this rilakkuma-themed cafe in one of the streets of Myeong-dong. He looks like a high school student with his youthful features, however, this shrewd businessman is actually in his early-thirties.

He was also the one who selected Baekhyun to be the cafe’s rilakkuma mascot. 

Which is why Baekhyun dislikes him.

That day, after his successful interview, Baekhyun arrived for work. Luhan was at the shop giving out instructions to Jongdae. He saw Baekhyun walk in and grabbed him by his shoulder suddenly and dragged him to his side. He asked for his name and Baekhyun answered him promptly.

Great, Baekhyun! You look really cute, so you’ll have the honourable role of our cafe’s mascot!

There was a tone of finality in the man’s words that didn’t allow Baekhyun to reject or even discuss about it. The next thing he knew, Jongdae had fixed a bulky headgear on him.

So when he agreed to work the full shift for today, Luhan is more than willing to oblige. He needed his mascot for Christmas.

"Dance in the snow?" Baekhyun asks in exasperation, eyes frantically searching the face of his boss and manager.

"If you think you'll slip and fall and crack your skull, don't worry there are winter boots for you." Luhan smiles sweetly at him, holding up a pair of red chunky boots with the fur.

"You'll be wearing clothes too! You have to look like Santa-kkuma!" Jongdae chirps happily as he shoves the bright red costume into his hands, not forgetting the iconic red hat with a white pom-pom dangling behind.

Jongdae turns Baekhyun around and starts pushing him towards the staff lounge. "Change to your bear form, we'll kindly help to dress you up!" Luhan calls after them with a childish giggle.

 

 'ㅅ' 

 

The bells sound, its jingle signals the entrance of a customer. On the automated glass door is a green wreath with a red bow in the middle on a point of the circumference, with golden bells dangling from it.

There's a medium sized Christmas tree set up at the back of the cafe, decorated beautifully with tiny rilakkumas using gold and warm brown hues as the main colour theme, just like the colour of the plush bear's fur. Every corner of the cafe is tastefully decorated for the season, but the plushie shop is by far the best.

Chanyeol steps into his paradise, smiling at the fairytale sight before him. The staff are dressed in green, looking very much like Santa's elves in the toy workshop. The floor is laid with white carpet to resemble snow. There are so many new rilakkumas Chanyeol has never seen before. Aside from the usual plushies, there are now snowglobes, robots, bed spreads, kitchenware, bags, stationery and even pyjamas of the popular bear character.

He scans around, looking for a short boy among all the other people crowding in here for some Christmas shopping. Thinking about it, maybe he is at his friend's place already. He picks a rilakkuma overalls for himself and gets a snowglobefor his parents.

"Hello sir, getting gifts for your loved ones?"

Chanyeol greets the sales assistant back, returning her an equally friendly smile. The girl passes a catalogue to him - all collections of rilakkuma dolls were printed inside the pages.

"The winter collection is hot-selling, but our horoscope collection and customizable ones are more meaningful. You look like a regular," the girl looks up at him, to which Chanyeol nods bashfully. "So you might have at least one from each collection already. Why not get a special one then?"

Chanyeol is an easy customer. In merely a few minutes, the girl manages to sell him a Taurus and Sagittarius rilakkumas, a rug and a wall clock; along with the overalls and snowglobe which he had already intended to buy.

Chanyeol isn't a shopaholic - okay maybe a little - but rilakkuma is his weak spot, especially more so when they look so much like someone he knows. He really likes the one with cow horns and a cow-print cape especially.

He orders a peppermint mocha while he waits for the staff to packs his purchases. Thankfully, the rilakkuma wrapping papers are free, sparing his near-empty wallet.

Flipping the buzzer in his hand, Chanyeol looks outside the window to see a Santa version of the rilakkuma mascot and without delay, he makes his way outside.

There are children surrounding it, taking turns to take a photo with the adorable Santa bear. Chanyeol waits patiently for his turn, arranging his hair and setting his desired camera mode ready. Since he's alone for today, he might as well be a spoilt giant-kid with all his new toys and have a photo with the Rilakkuma Santa. Maybe he'll feel better after all, maybe he can feel happier even without him.

Now kid-yeol is staring at the bear, eyes blazing with expectation and excitement. He really likes the bear though - the height, the face and the way it moves all reminds him of Baekhyun.

Just before he can take a step closer to the bear, he hears someone calling out.

"Baekhyun! Time for break!"

The bear guides the two children by his side to their parents, waving the family goodbye. He doesn't see the boy standing at the side, gaze fixed steadily on him as he walks into the cafe.

Clumsily, the Santa-bear tries to fit in through the door. It finally manages to enter the staff lounge with the manager's help - or more like shove.

Jongdae brings him a nice warm mug of hot chocolate, helping Baekhyun tear off the large headgear before giving him the drink.

"I don't know why you guys keep using this marketing method. It's lame!" Baekhyun grumbles indignantly, waving his arms as he waits for Jongdae to remove those stumpy limbs.

"It works?" Jongdae replies simply, tugging the arms away to free Baekhyun. "And don't deny it, you actually enjoy this. Plus, Luhan pays you well for that."

"I believe if you look through my contract carefully, it states that I am employed as a barista."

"I believe if you look through your contract carefully, you'll see the terms 'ad hoc duties' and 'willingness to perform additional tasks'."

 

 'ㅅ' 

 

Chanyeol stays at the shop even after he got his stuff and finished his drink. It has been an hour but the door to the staff lounge shows no signs of opening. He looks at his watch.

8:15 in the evening is still considered way too early for a public holiday. Usually the streets only silents at 3AM for festive occasions. Chanyeol waits a little more, dodging the gaze of a couple now looking for available seats in the shop.

At nine, he sees the rilakkuma bear stumbling out through the door, wobbling as it makes it's way to the front of the shop. The manager returns to the counter, helping to serve the line.

Once again, the bear grabs the attention of the children, families and passer-bys with it's cute antics and bubbly dance moves to Christmas jingles.

Chanyeol feels mesmerized.

Carefully, he pushes himself off the seat and steps out of the shop. He grips tightly at the plushie in his hand, steadying his breath and heartbeat as he makes his way to his two most favourite things on Earth.

Rilakkuma, and a boy called Byun Baekhyun.

In his sight is only him. He doesn't care if he makes a blunder now, or embarrass himself right here. With a strong grip, he pulls the bear aside and the bear trips from imbalance.

Before it's pudgy can hit the ground, Chanyeol grabs it in time and pulls the bear into a hug. His arms barely reaches around its back, nonetheless he squeeze it tightly with all his might. The bear squirms, trying to break free from the sudden attack.

Baekhyun sees Chanyeol before him then, hugging him so tightly he can feel it even with the thickness of the costume between them. Why is he here? He's scared, yet excited and happy to see his face. Maybe Chanyeol just wants a hug like any other kids or customers. With the anonymity he has, he hugs the boy too, his paws giving little pats on his back.

"I know who you are, Mr. Rilakkuma."

Chanyeol pulls away slowly and stare at the blank round eyes of the bear. He knows Baekhyun can see him through it.

He opens his lips and mouths:


Byun. Baek. Hyun.


The bear freezes - just like a motionless, lifeless toy. Chanyeol reaches up cautiously to hold the head of the bear.

He holds the gaze with the rilakkuma. Although he can't see Baekhyun's eyes through the black circles, he knows that Baekhyun is looking right at him as well.

Gently, he tugs at the head, lifting it up to reveal the face he wants to see the most.

Baekhyun's bangs are sticking on his forehead, he face is red and sweaty from being stuffed up inside. Still, he's so lovely in his eyes.

Chanyeol holds up a rilakkuma, the Taurus one and pokes Baekhyun's face with the bear's paw.

"Merry Christmas, Baekhyun."

He doesn't care if Baekhyun actually likes him back or not. He didn't get to ask anyway. All he knows is that he wants to kiss him right now, and he decides to be reckless. His chest is swelling, inflated with affection and joy. He leans down, holding his gaze on him and inching closer bit by bit, hoping with all his heart that Baekhyun will not push him away.

Baekhyun takes him by surprise. He leans up to him and presses a quick, chaste kiss on his lips.

"I'm working. Let's talk later." Baekhyun whispers. He gives him a sweet smile, eyes crinkling and glittering in the light. He snatches his headgear back immediately, probably with a little too much force.

The moment the rilakkuma headgear sits back on his shoulders, blocking the lights and sights of the world outside, Baekhyun screams internally. His eyes are squeezed shut, his breath is erratic, he and then bites his lips.

He can still feels the softness of Chanyeol's lips on them.

He's hyperventilating and his mind is fuzzy and he can't control his heartbeats or his body. It's like his body is on short circuit, as if a wire may pop out of his brain and he'll explode, or if he's lucky, he may just simply switch off and shut down from the immense emotions running through him.

Shutting his eyes, he takes a deep breath to calm his nerves. He still needs to work, Luhan won't be letting his off if he's kissing around instead of working. The kids and parents around them must have been horrified when he kissed Chanyeol, and he knows he'll get nagged by Jongdae later.

Okay, work first love later. He opens his eyes slowly and calmly.

The next thing he sees is Chanyeol leaning closer, dropping a kiss on the bear's nose before releasing his hold on it, smirking smugly as he walks away.

Baekhyun thinks there might be an unconscious bear in the middle of Seoul at any moment.

 

 'ㅅ' 

 

"I don't want some immoral bear-human romance next time, you hear me?!" Luhan yells out when Baekhyun walks out of the cafe, to the man waiting for him outside at the veranda with a bright smile. He can hear the smile in Luhan's voice.

He steps closer, snuggling into the warm body when Chanyeol brushes his hand across Baekhyun's waist, pulling him in.

"Finally done with work for today?"

Baekhyun hums, feeling apologetic for causing the long wait. There's only another hour left for Christmas, and just another hour left for them to celebrate together.

Chanyeol picks up his enormous shopping bags from the ground, tucking a pair of rilakkumas into Baekhyun's arms.

The Sagittarius sits on the left side in his arms and the Taurus huddles closely next to it on the right.

Chanyeol brings Baekhyun to his right side, an arm resting on his waist as they step together onto the snow covered path, along with all other people on the streets.

Just like the bears, Baekhyun huddles close to Chanyeol for warmth.

 

 'ㅅ' 

 

"I thought you had someone else you like?"

"Who?"

"I don't know, you were telling me the other time when I was in the rilakkuma suit."

"Ah, Mr. Rilakkuma, are you jealous?" Of course it was someone else, Chanyeol thinks, he didn't know Baekhyun was inside then, he can't confess his love to a bearr, can he? 

And it's not important anymore, since that someone else, is now right before him.

"Although I love rilakkumas, I don't do weird relationships."

Baekhyun frowns in confusion, squinting his eyes at Chanyeol’s odd remark. Chanyeol chuckles, pulling the sheets over them and takes the Taurus-kkuma on his side, stuffing it into Baekhyun’s arms.

“I don’t need them anymore,” Chanyeol whispers in the dark, referring to his rilakkumas. He tightens his hold on Baekhyun’s waist, “now I have you as my personal pillow!”

Baekhyun blushes and buries his glowing face into the firm chest. Adoration surges through Chanyeol at what Baekhyun did, and he laughs as he ruffles his fluffy hair gently. 

The firm chest rumbles against Baekhyun and stops a while later when the deep timbre of Chanyeol's laughter ends. 

A kiss is pressed on his forehead and a soft goodnight was left in his ears. Baekhyun closes his eyes in contentment, hugging the rilakkuma in his arms.

 

-- 'ㅅ' --

 


 

“Again?”

Baekhyun stares at Luhan and Jongdae, who nods at him simultaneously.

Baekhyun looks at the sketch in his hand - a drawing of Sakura-kkuma for spring.

"I designed this so someone has to wear it!" Luhan declares with pride, and Jongdae simply nods by his side agreeing.

Sakura-kkuma looks just like any other rilakkuma, except he (or maybe she) is wearing a lovely pink dress with fake cherry blossom petals sewn on it. The shoes are of another shade of pink and are hand drawn with delicate sakura prints. There is even a flower headband designed just to match with the whole outfit.

This is completely a combination for Spring. 

Baekhyun is sick of it already. Can't they hire a person to work as a mascot? Since he was hired as a barista, all he wants is to do his job well and make a decent cup of coffee in this cafe for the customers. That shouldn't be hard right? Why is he always subjected to doing stupid things? (He thinks that he doesn't mind giving up on the additional pay Luhan offers him for being a mascot).

Luhan observes his employee’s fallen face, sulky and unhappy. He clears his throat and speaks.

"But!” he stresses, “because I'm a caring, kind and understanding boss, you're spared this time!"

Baekhyun gapes in disbelief. Is his employer trying to be nice now?

"But why?" Baekhyun asks, the mistrust evident in his voice. He doesn’t believe him because, they wouldn’t let him off so easily. If he isn’t going to be Sakura-kkuma, then who will be taking his place?

Jongdae stands up and starts heading toward the staff lounge. "Because we already have someone willing to do that job just for you," Jongdae says as he pulls the door open slowly. 

Step by step, a rilakkuma in the pink dress makes its way out of the door to them. Baekhyun smiles when he sees the clumsy movements and the big bobbling head. He has to admit that the mascot looks good and in fact, it is really adorable. However, he only feels this way when he isn’t the person inside.

The rilakkuma stops before Baekhyun and Baekhyun raises his brow in amusement. What, is it going to start dancing for him?

The bear lifts up its paws and starts struggling to take its head off, squirming and twisting to get out of it. Realising its intent, Baekhyun lends a helping hand to the bear. He pulls the headgear off and immediately after, he feels a pair of lips touching his.

He stares incredulously at person inside. Park Chanyeol, who is beaming brightly at him. 

“Your boyfriend decided to do this. I didn’t force him.” Luhan explains, coming up to his stunned employee with an arm around his shoulders, clinging onto him idly. “He’s good! He has that positive energy in him and that’s what makes a rilakkuma a good one.”

Chanyeol nods eagerly, b with joy and positivity. He looks at Baekhyun and then his eyes switches to his body, admiring his rilakkuma form. He looks at Baekhyun again, as if he’s waiting for his words of liking and approval. Baekhyun rolls his eyes because he can see that Chanyeol enjoys dressing up like this -unabashedly and undeniably, as a rilakkuma. For whatever reason there is, he’s feeling a little embarrassed of it.

Luhan flips the sign from 'closed' to 'open'. He claps his hands to grab the duo’s attention and points at his watch, signalling it’s time to start the day for the cafe.

Chanyeol leans in for another kiss, a quick one, before he fixes the headgear into position. He the seam of his lips, tasting the sweetness on them which makes his morning infinitely better. 

Baekhyun keeps his head down, blushing slightly, as he makes his way behind the cafe counter. He's feeling a little light-headed from everything, but he thinks it will all turn out fine. At least, he's now free from being captived inside a rilakkuma.

Chanyeol knows Baekhyun has never liked this additional job, so he is more than willing to be a mascot in his place for him. He doesn’t hate this, in fact, he’s tingling with excitement to become one with the rilakkuma. He decides he should do this more often.

Confidently, Sakura-kkuma steps outside, ready to welcome the spring season and the day ahead.

 

 'ㅅ' 

 

The next time Baekhyun sees the human-sized rilakkuma again, it is on his birthday. Sehun guides the bear in carefully while it tries to balance the birthday cake in its paws. Fortunately, Jongdae takes the cake over before it can smash tragically onto the ground.

Sitting atop his pile of birthday presents is the miniature version of the bear. The rilakkuma plushie wears a birthday cake on its head and its belly was sewn with the numbers, 0506. It is custom made, unique and individual, only one of its kind. Although the face looks the same as the other bears, if you look closely, you’ll see that little mole at the corner, right above its upturned mouth.

Baekkuma, designed by Park Chanyeol.