Sorrowful

Begin Again

It was a sad day for Jung Eunji, for it was her father's funeral. She was still crying at the corner of the room. While her friends, Naeun and Bomi, attended to the guests.

 

"Poor Eunji."

"First, it was her mother. Now it's her father. Where will that kid stay?"

"Jung Taewoo was a good father. He shouldn't have left his daughter this way."

"Jung Eunji should look for her relatives."

 

Different reactions and statements were heard from the visitors. But Eunji didn't care. She was still crying. "Dad, why?" she whispered to herself. Naeun went to check on her, she offered Eunji a drink.

"Eunji, here, have some water. You haven't eaten anything since last night."

But Eunji was too heartbroken to notice Naeun. She held her knees tightly and bowed her head.

 

-

"Baekhyun, I made you visit Mr. Moon last night so that you can identify yourself with our colleagues here in South Korea," Baekhyun's father explained as he took a sip of his coffee.

Baekhyun was seated on the other side of the table, eating waffles. He gave his dad a poker face, "I know, dad."

Mrs. Byun was seated beside her husband, eyeing on her son's reaction. Beside her was Baekhyun's half-sister, Soonkyu.

"Honey, Soonkyu and I need to go now," Mrs. Byun said as she stood up and kissed Mr. Byun's cheek, "We'll go shopping!"

Soonkyu also stood up, and carried her clutch bag, "Bye daddy, bye Bacon!" she called out as she waved her hands.

 

"Shut up, danshin!" Baekhyun retorted. He never liked it when people call him "Bacon", especially Soonkyu.

Soonkyu and Baekhyun are half-siblings. She was the daughter of Mrs. Byun from a previous marriage. Though they grew up close with each other, it can be seen that Mr. Byun favors Baekhyun more than her. Soonkyu's father was a chef, but died in a car accident. During that time, Mr. Byun decided to buy her father's restaurant, and marry Mr. Lee's widowed wife. When Baekhyun left to study in London, Soonkyu went to Japan to study Fashion Designing, and when she returned to Korea, she opened a small boutique where she sells gowns she makes herself.

 

Baekhyun stood up, "I'm done eating, dad."

"Where are you going?" his father asked.

"I'll-- I'll book a trip to Jeju island," he answered nervously.

"No, Baekhyun. You're coming to the office with me. Change your clothes," Mr. Byun ordered, as he folded his newspaper and placed it on the table.

"But dad, I'm supposed to be on vacation," Baekhyun protested.

 

"Byun Baekhyun!" his dad exclaimed.

 

Baekhyun groaned.

___