Sickness

In Which Kris is a Girl

Kris didn’t get sick very often, he’s not sure if it’s because his immune system is good or if it’s because he changes gender so often. Though he supposes that changing gender doesn’t really have to do anything with his health. So it doesn’t surprise him that Tao has no idea how to deal with him now that he is sick. The other male fidgets next to him on the bed, twisting his fingers together in worry.

“Zitao, I’ll be okay.” He says, softly closing his hands over Tao’s. “I just need rest okay.”

The younger boy nods slowly, still looking far more worried than Kris likes.

“Is there anything I can get you?” Tao asks.

Kris shakes his head and leans further into his pillows. “I’m good for now, don’t worry about me.” He says.

Another nod from Tao and the other boy gets up, stopping in the doorway and turning back to him. “I’m going to work on homework, if you need anything…”

Kris nods, and pulls the covers up over his head. Turning over he sighs heavily, cursing himself. “Tao!” He calls out.

“Yeah?” Tao calls back, obviously not that far out the door.

“Do you think maybe…” He mumbles. “Do you think maybe you could do your homework in here?” He doesn’t hear anything for a moment and he thinks maybe he didn’t hear him.

Sinking into his bed, he pulls at the sheets beneath him, he can’t help but be disappointed. The sound of shuffling feet makes him peek out of the blankets, he watches as Tao drops his bag next to the bed. The bed dips as Tao sits down next to him once more and Kris wiggles around until he can rest his head against the other’s side.

“Thank you.” He mumbles and Tao smiles down at him.

“Yifan, I like you.” He says, “Wouldn’t it be kind of stupid if I didn’t come back in here.”

Kris pulls the covers up until it covers his nose, hoping to cover the red of his face. “I guess.”

Fingers briefly his forehead before books are pulled out and the sounds of a scratching pencil and flipping pages fills the room. The steady breathing next to him and the warmth that the other radiates makes his eyelids heavy.

Go to sleep.” Tao whispers, brushing hair out of his face. “I’ll be here when if you need anything.”

Kris tentatively rests a hand on Tao’s thigh. “Even if it’s you?” He mumbles, pressing his face against the other’s side trying to hide his embarrassment.

“Especially if it’s me.” Tao says, briefly resting his own hand on top of Kris’.

“I’m not usually like this okay.” Kris mumbles, fighting to stay awake.

Tao laughs, resting his hand on top of Kris’ head. “I know, I won’t mention it this to anyone.”

Kris snuggles closer to Tao, letting his eyes slide closed. “Good, cause I would hate to like someone who would rat me out like that.” Kris says.

The sound of Tao’s quiet laughter is the last thing he hears before finally succumbing to his need to sleep.