Gentle

In Which Kris is a Girl

If Kris was expecting something to change between them, he was horribly mistaken. Nothing had changed between him and his roommate besides the fact that sometimes Tao would give him looks that made his stomach flip. Well that and the sudden addition of Mandarin in their daily speech. Today had been another rainy day and like most rainy days this meant the Kris’ had went into hiding (because he likes to go an get drenched within two seconds of being outside for no reason).

Laying out on the couch he flips lazily through the channels, Tao had just gotten home a few minutes ago and had yet to return from the bathroom. Kris stretches out across the couch, unbothered that he doesn’t reach both ends as he is currently, and pillows his head against his arms. He can’t help but feel disappointed that nothing had happened but at least things hadn’t become awkward between the two of them.

He can hear the soft padding of Tao’s footsteps before the other male sits on the floor in front of the couch. Turning his head, Kris runs his fingers through Tao’s hair.

“Something up?” He asks and Tao leans his head back to look at him.

“You’re not in a bad mood for once.” Tao says and Kris frowns.

Flicking Tao’s nose, he huffs. “I don’t like being a girl okay.” He mumbles pressing his face against his arms. “I just want to be normal.”

Wu Fan, don’t say that.“ Tao says, turning around and resting his hands on Kris’ back.

Fingers traces gentle circles along his spine and he sighs heavily. “Why not?” Kris says words muffled.

When Tao doesn’t answer and fingers stop moving across his back, he turns his head slightly to face the younger male. Tao’s eyes are downcast, focused somewhere along the ground. “Zitao.” Kris says, reaching out and touching the other’s face softly.

“Don’t be angry with me.” Tao says.

Confused, Kris only nods, brushing fingertips across Tao’s jaw. Tao leans into the touch, letting his eyes fall closed as he takes a deep breath. “I’m sorry that I just left you the other day.” He says, pushing a finger against Kris’ lips when the other attempts to respond. “I’ve never actually done anything like this.” Kris pushes Tao’s hand away, sitting up slightly to look at the other better.

“Done anything like what?” Kris asks suspiciously.

Tao bites his lip nervously, finally making eye contact with the older male. “I’d never… I’d never even kissed someone before you.” He mumbles, face quickly turning red.

Kris stares at him, speechless and unbelieving. “How, that’s impossible.” He says, sitting up all the way, pulling his shirt down from the bunching up around his s. (It's still weird, even after all this time for him to worry about having s.)

“You’ve never kissed anyone before?” He asks, hoping that Tao will suddenly deny the confession. The younger male only nods, clenching and unclenching his fists against his legs. “Why me?” Kris asks.

Tao looks at him confused, tilting his head to the side cutely. “Why not?” He asks.

Kris motions at his current state of gender. “Um, this.” He says blandly.

“You’re beautiful either way Yifan.” Tao mumbles.

Kris shakes his head and crosses his arms over his chest. “Is that why then?” He says, “Because I’m both genders? Get the full experience at once."

Tao jerks away from him in shock, mouth falling open in disbelief. “No! Why would you think that?” He yells, “Yifan, I want you because you’re you.


Kris shakes his head. “I don’t even know who I am.”

Tao grasps his chin, tightly enough to keep him from turning his head away but not enough to hurt. “You’re Yifan, do you really feel like you need to define who you are?” Tao asks but he doesn’t give Kris a chance to respond.

Lips press softly against his own, unlike the previous kisses they had shared, and Kris’ heart feels heavy. Grasping desperately onto Tao’s shoulders, he hopes that the younger boy won’t mention the tears.