The Promise

The Smell of Lemongrass
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
The next two days spent at the hospital were probably the most fun Lu Han had ever since he lost his eyesight. Sharing the same room as Xiuzhen was delightful compared to Lu Han's other roommates from previous experiences. The two quickly got along, as if they had known each other for a long time since childhood.   Lu Han learned that Xiuzhen had coronary artery disease, the same disease her late grandfather had. If Lu Han had to choose a time he disliked spending with Xiuzhen, it would be when she took her medications. He never liked taking medicine since he was little. Its smell always bothered him, be it flavored or not. He hated the fact that Xiuzhen had to take the medicine to keep the blood flowing to her heart. Otherwise, she would suffer chest pains.   "It's not that bad," she would reassure him. "I would have disliked it more if you weren't here to distract me a little."   That was when Lu Han made up his mind. He would visit Xiuzhen everyday after his release from the hospital, right after his morning home lessons.   Other than Xiuzhen's heart disease, Lu Han learned that her favorite color was sky blue, his being white. Her favorite type of music was pop, his being rock. She used to played the piano, and he used to play soccer. They both liked spring, however, and their favorite plant was the lemongrass.   "I overheard one of the nurses' conversations that the staffs recently built in a new lemongrass field at the backyard, and it would be open to all the patients by next week." Xiuzhen smiled at Lu Han, though she knew well he couldn't see.   "Really? That's great, we can both visit next week then!"   Xiuzhen half-heartedly smiled. "But your mother will be picking you up tonight."   Lu Han could hear the disappointment in her voice, and he immediately felt bad for being released early. He knew exactly how it must had felt for her. Why did he have to stay longer the other days, but shorter just when he finally had someone for company?   "Don't worry, I'll be visiting you everyday."   "Alone?" Xiuzhen gasped. "But won't it be dangerous? It'll be hard--"   "Don't worry, I have my ways."
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter