The rabbit hole

Vergessen

The alluring smell of Chanel No 5 filled her nose as Ava took a seat on one of the luxurious sofas the store had kindly placed for customers. She took a swig off the sparkling, since she still wasn't old enough to drink, and leaned back onto the sofa. She flipped out her phone and began scrolling through her phone.

"How do I look?" Her head shot up to see Jinri, her face wore a mask of uncertainity. Ava's eyes travelled down to see her wedding dress. She wore a strapless, white trumpet silhouette dress . The top was made of damask, a beautiful pattern of roses, while the skirt, made out of taffeta silk, ran down to her ankles. Her hair was tied up into a messy bun with a few strands of hair around her face. She wore a wedding veil that reached her waist and her hands were dressed in lace gloves that reached her wrists. Soo Jin bit her lip as she waited for Ava's respond

"You look perfect," Ava breathed. Her head cocked to the side when her eyes landed on Jinri's sneakers and giggle. "Well, except for the shoes maybe," 

A tinge of red appeared on Jinri's cheeks and she turned to face the floor to ceiling mirrors that occupied a section of the room. She eyed herself, noticing how the dress managed to emphasize her curves, the beautiful patterns of the lace gloves and the damask top and how she loved the way the dress was flared. She realized, the dress practically screamed Jinri, it wasn't plain nor was it too exquisite, it was simple yet elegant. She gave the dress a little twirl and slowly her mask of insecurity began to fade as a smile took its place on her face. She stopped and faced her best friend, a smile now fully formed on her face.

"This is it, this is the dress," 


Stars that lighted up the night sky twinkled as Jinri lay on the grass. She ignored the cold wind that blew against the skin and snuggled closer to the earthy smelling grass. Raising a pointed finger towards the sky, she began to count the stars.

"Don't you think you're wasting time doing that?" Jinri stopped counting and turned to see her best friend, Ava, towering over her. She smiled and patted on the spot besides her before Ava took sat down there, bringing her knees to her chest. "I mean stars are countless, y'know,".

"Just shut up and let me count them," she sat up and rested her elbow on the ground. "This whole thing's been stressing me out and I deserve some time-wasting, stupid act to relieve all this stress,"

Ava turned and placed both her hands on Jinri's shoulders. "You. Are. Getting. Married" she shook her shoulders with every word before releasing her grip and running a hand through her messy hair. "And to the love of your life. How stressful can that be,"

"Two words. In. Laws" Ava snorted and blew a puff of air on her bangs. "Forget the haters, cause Sungmin loves ya," she began singing off pitch, standing up to do a little twirling dance. Jinri covered her ears and laughed seeing her silly friend. "Yah Jung Ava, you're going to make it rain!" 

Ava stopped dancing and turned to face Jinri, her face wore shocked expression. "Ryu Jinri, did you just criticize my singing?" 

"Not my fault your singing is worst than that rapper Ravi," a smirk played on her lips as she slowly retreated from the approaching Ava, a menancing glare on her face. With a laugh, she sprinted off in the direction of the woods. "Come back here, you good-for-nothing best friend!" Jinri turned to see Ava chasing after her. She kept on her deadly glare but Eun Mi still noticed the smile forming on her lips.

"You gotta catch me first, then,"Just as Jinri  was turning her head, she heard Ava screaming from behind.

"Jinri, look out in front of you!" 

Jinri's head was fully turned and her eyes rounded. She was runnig straight ahead to a steep slope. She managed to stop herself from falling down the slope right at its edge. 

"Phew," she blew onto her bangs and turned to wave at Ava, signaling she was okay. 

Ava was only a few metres away from her then. She turned to see what was down below but took the wrong step.

The ground crack and with a loud yelp, Jinri was sent tumbling down the slope.

She landed on her rear, her hair was covered with twigs. A splinter went through her left palm. When she tried to stand, she winced and realized she had sprained an ankle.

Limping, she dragged herself towards a large boulder and leaned against it. She dusted off the dirt on her clothes and removed the tiny twigs from her hair. 

"Jinri, are you okay?" Ava shouted from above and Jinri tilted her head upwards. Though it was dark, she estimated that the slope was about 15 metres long with a steep slant. Jinri knew she couldn't climb back up, not with a sprained ankle. 

"I'm fine, but I can't get up there. The slope's too steep and I sprained my ankle," she shouted back and saw that Ava had flipped open her phone.

"I'm calling for help. You stay right where you are okay?"

"I'm not gonna move an inch," she mumbled to herself and readjusted her position on the boulder. She took out her phone and the flashlight. She shone the light around her and found nothing but trees. Then, her eyes caught hold of something white moving about. Surprised, she threw her phone on the ground and fell of the boulder with a shriek. 

"Jinri, what happened?" 

"It's..uh..nothing," she shouted back and pulled herself up onto the boulder, grabbing her phone as well. Steadying herself, she took a few deep breaths and stood on her good leg. She her torchlight again and limped towards the place she'd saw the white figure. Arriving at the spot, she found that there was nothing there and sighed in relief before slumping against the trunk of a tree. Suddenly, her eyes caught sight of the white figure again and she quickly diverted her torchlight towards it.

"Get that blinding light out of my face!" Once again, Jinri's phone was sent flying off to the ground with a scream as her brain registered the white figure as a white rabbit. Correction, a talking white-rabbit wearing a bow tie.

"What is it with you humans and screaming whenever they see me?" The rabbit began to hop towards Jinri. It stopped to pick up her phone and a half-eaten carrot. "What's the matter? Never met a rabbit before?" It handed her phone over while taking a bite off the carrot. "Interesting piece of technology you have there," 

"You..talk," That was all that Jinri managed to blurt, her mind atill processing the shock from seeing a talking rabbit.

"Obviously," the rabbit took another munch off the carrot and opened the timepiece that hung around its neck. Its eyes widened. "Goodness, I'm going to be late!" The rabbit quickly finished the carrot, grabbed Jinri's phone and dashed off into another direction. Realizing the rabbit was leaving with her phone, Jinri quickly stood up.

"Hey, wait..Ouch!" Her brain had processed the pain from her ankle. She ignored it and quickly limped after the rabbit. The rabbit didn't go far before it stopped, glanced around and jumped into a rabbit hole.

"You're not getting away that easily with my phone, talking rabbit," Again, she limped towards the rabbit hole, using the trees as support. As she neared the hole, she realized it wasn't a normal rabbit hole

It was huge, even a human could fit through the hole. Jinri grunted in frustration, knowing she would never dare enter that hole just to get her phone back. But once again, fate played its game that night and Jinri slipped right at the edge of the hole. With a loud scream, she fell down, down and down the hole.