Wonder Forest

Vergessen

It felt like an eternity before her rear hit solid ground.

She landed with an "oomph" that escaped her lips as her body registered the pain. Her head was spinning when her eyes squinted slightly to noticed a shadow had fallen upon her. Her gaze directed upwards to see a heavy object was about to land on her. Swiftly, she rolled on to her right just in time before the large object came in contact with earth. 

Her breath came in quick and heavy as she placed a hand on her chest to calm herself down. Her eyes trailed her surrounding and saw that she was in a clearing in the middle of a forest. The trees that surrounded the clearing stood tall and bear fruits that were outrageously weird. She walked closer to a tree and saw that a flower had expanded into a magnum ice-cream and her eyes widened at the sight. Another tree bore wrapped candies while another had candy canes dangling all over its branches. The only tree that seemed almost normal was the apple tree in one corner but as soon as she got closer she noticed the apples were coated with caramelized sugar. Caramel apples. She turned to see that every tree there bore a different type of desert and even the vines. upon closer inspection, were made up of licourice, caramel or candy strips. The grass though, she found out after she had stupidly tasted it, was normal grass except that it was slightly glowing. 

"Hello," came a voice and she jumped in shock. She heard the voice chuckling and she turned to see a beautiful girl, her hair the colour green and in her hands was a basket of the bizarre fruits, or should she say fruisserts? 

"Who're you?" Jinri asked. "Where is this?" this time she heard another person chuckling. A beautiful brunette emerged from the woods and in her hands she, too, was carrying a basket filled with harvest fruisserts. 

"Another one fell into the hole it seems," the brunette spoke as she examined an caramel coated apple that had fallen to the fround and threw it into the basket. 

"It seems so," the green haired responded, her eyes stayed on Jinri, looking concernly at the cuts on her body. "She's quite hurt though. Shall we bring her over to the hut?" She turned towards the brunette and Jinri noticed that her eyes were the colour baby blue. She picked up another one of the caramel apples, taking a large bite out of it, before a white cream began to melt slowly out of the fruits core and Eun Mi realized it was ice-cream.

Don't they get diabetes eating all this sweet? Her mind complained but before it could continue to nag, the brunette had appeared in front of her, her baby blue eyes seemed to pierce into her soul. She bit down on her bottom lip and gulped down her saliva.

"It seems she is quite wounded," The brunette turned and nodded towards the green-haired girl. Two fingers were brought to her lips as she whistled and instantaneously, a majestic horse and carriage appeared.

"Come and climb aboard." The green haired girl stretched out her hand in offer. Jinri hesitated.

Are you sure? her mind asked They seem nice. And they're probably my only ticket back. Her hand reached for the green haired girl's and she rode the fancy carriage deeper into the forest.

"Welcome to Wonder Forest ,by the way," the green-haired girl spoke while they zoomed past endless candy trees. "I'm Wanda one of the forest's keepers and this," she pointed a finger towards the pretty brunette who had somehow managed to get a bread along the ride and was munching on it quietly, "is Cecile. She's a forest keeper as well,"

"Are there many forest keepers here?"

"Yup," Cecile popped the 'p' in the word as she gobbled the last of her bread. "Just that we're sorta like the leader of the keepers. We're the Keepers, capital K,"

Jinri's mouth formed into a slight 'o' as she tried to digest the info. Whatever, it wasn't like she needed to know these things once she was out of here. The carriage came to a stop.

"We're here," She stepped out of the vehicle to see a tiny, cozy cottage.

Eh not so bad Boy, was she wrong. The moment she stepped into the cottage, she had to rub her eyes twice to make sure it wasn't a trick. The inside was almost twice, maybe thrice, as big as how it looked from the outside. There were a lot of potted plants and trees - yes the house could fit a tree - decorating the interior, she noticed. Photoframes were lined up against the walls and she swore some of the frames were coated with pure gold. She didn't get to see the whole cottage but she knew, there was something magical to it. 

She was led to the kitchen, where she was told to sit on of the chairs of the dining table, while Wanda went and fetch their first aid kit. Cecile was boiling the water for some tea when the white rabbit jumped onto the table, breathing raggedly as it poured all the contents of the rag it was carrying. 

"Today's groceries, Keepers," the rabbit wiped the imaginary sweat on its head and flopped down on one of the chairs. It suddenly noticed the presence of Jinri and it's head snapped towards her. "Oh, it's you. Welcome to Vergessen, lady," was slightly opened when she saw the rabbit once more. She slammed a fist on the table and pointed a finger at the rabbit. "You, where's my phone?" 

The rabbit gave her a shrug. "Dunno, probably by the valley," 

"What hill?" 

"The forgotten valley of course," Before she could proceed with more questions, Cecile came by the table with a tray in her hands. She placed the tray filled with a teapot and teacups on the table before asking. "Tea?" 

Jinri sat back in her chair with an exasperated sigh and answered. "Yes, please," The rabbit perked up at the sight of Cecile and once again hopped onto the table. "I'm done with today's groceries" It said while pointing a paw towards the pile of actual vegetables and fruits. "I'll be going then," 

"Thank you ,white rabbit," and with that the rabbit hopped off the table and out the kitchen window. "Wait," Jinri began to say but saw it was too late and let out another sigh, Cecile raised an eyebrow at her. "Did the rabbit take something from you?" She replied with a nod. 

"I'm here," Wanda had arrived with the first aid kit, her eyes b with delight, "Time to patch you up," Jinri stood still while the green-haired girl mended her wounds. Once she was done, she placed the first aid kit aside, washed her hands and reached for a cup of tea. 

"It seems Unnie," Cecile began. "That the white rabbitt is what had caused her to fall down the hole," 

"Another one?" A biscuit was cracked and Wanda dunked half of it into her tea. "This is terrible then," 

"What is?" Jinri asked, a bit too roughly. Her patience was growing thin and she still couldn't understand whatever was going on now. The two girls turned their heads hearing her tone.

"Sorry" she muttered. "It's just that I'm not really sure where I am. You said I was in a place called Wonder Forest," she glanced at them for confirmation and they nodded. "but the rabbit said welcome to Verje- Vergetten-"

"Vergessen," they both chimed in

"Right Vergessen . So right now I'm confused. Where am I?" 

"Simple, you are in Wonder Forest which is placed on a tiny island called Vergessen," Cecile answered before taking a sip of tea.

"Oh," How did she get from Seoul to an island? "So how do I get back to Seoul? Is there, like a ferry or something?" 

Both of them placed their teacups down and glanced at each other. She could see the troubled expression on their faces as they turned back to her.

"We're afraid," Cecile began before Wanda continued."That you cannot return home." 

The look of utter shock and horror was evident on her face as she registered the information. Her head began to shake furiously. 

"No, no, no," She looked at each of them with a horrid expression, "What do you mean I cannot return home?" 

A few of the vines that were on the wall began to spiral towards the middle of the room, forming a circle. An image appeared and Jinri could barely recognize the figures as they slowly came into view.

"Ava-ssi,"

It was Sungmin, her fiance, and he was facing down to look at her best friend, Ava. His mouth was formed into one of his brightest smile, the ones that he promised only she could see.

"Where shall we go today?"  

"Shall we go on a date by the Han River?"

Her eyes looked lovingly into his and Sungmin's smile seemed to widened.

"As you wish"

and he bent down to kiss her on her lips. 

The image of the two disappeared and was replaced with another one. This time it was off the Ryu family household. Jinri could see her father as usual dusting the furnitures of the house and she could hear the distant sound of someone grilling from the kitchen, probably her mother. 

"Appa, Omma, I'll be going now,"

The face of her younger sister appeared as she waved goodbye too her parents. Once again, it focused on her father as he paused in his work to wave back. Jinri's eyes landed on the family portrait hung on the wall. 

She wasn't in it. 

The images disappeared and she slowly slumped back into her chair. Her mind unable to process all that was happening. 

"You see Jinri," Wait how did Cecile even know her name when she haven't told them. "When someone lands in Vergessen, they can never get out. Any memories of that person and any trace of their existence, as you have witnessed, would be wiped out off the face of the world," 

"And you yourself," Wanda pointed a finger towards her. "Will slowly begin to forget who you used to be in the real world," 

"Only then, would you be a true Vergessenise and perhaps be granted a special gift," Cecile added. 

"What?" 

"Nah, it's not that bad, really, living in Vergessen." 

"Yup," Cecile made sure to pop the 'p' once more. "You even get to have eternal youth and eternal life," 

She couldn't take it anymore, her brain was already working on overdrive since her head was still throbbing from the fall , trying to process all the information she was getting. She couldn't trust her sight as she was beginning to see three Ceciles and Wandas and the pain she gained from the fall was still felt all over her body. Her eyes drooped and she slumped lower into her chair. 

"Are you okay?" Wanda asked, concerned. 

"I think I might faint," and the world around her turned black.