Defiance

Red String of Fate

The three sat silently and extremely calmly at the table. Luhan calm because he didn't see any reason to be nervous, Jongin calm because he shared Luhan's feelings and didn't see a need to panic at his out of the blue question, Sehun calm because he had already had a vision that Luhan was going to ask, though he didn't see it happening so early. He thought that Luhan was going to wait a little longer till he got to know Nanami more but obviously he was wrong. From an outsiders perspective it would look like someone had paused a movie since no one was moving or from the looks of it breathing. 

Jongin, placed his chop sticks next to his bowl and interlaced his fingers together. He stared into his bowl quietly, he already knew that Luhan knew the answer to the question. He didn't want to prolong it but he had a soft spot for Luhan so the idea of possibly hurting his feelings was something he actively tried to avoid.

Sehun had closed his book completely, he was very interested in how Jongin was going to explain his answer since his vision cut out before Jongin answered. Sehun was very aware that Luhan's calm demeanor would soon change if didn't get an answer out of Jongin, chairs would literally be flying. As funny as Sehun always found Luhan's tantrums he really wasn't in the mood to clean up the mess he could see him creating. 

As Sehun predicted Luhan's calm and collected demeanor was starting to crack with the lack of an answer. Luhan started kicking his feet softly at the table leg in frustration. As the silence continued to drag the kicking got louder and hard, till suddenly Jongins bowl was hovering in the air "someone answer me" Luhan muttered biting his finger nail 

Jongin grabbed the bowl and placed it back on the table then turned to the snow haired boy "Luhan, you already know the answer"

Wrong answer. 

Jongins bowl was flung at the wall, leaving a mix of vegetable and beef puree dripping down the wall. Jongin sighed and stared at the mess "that was childish"

"I want a proper answer for once, i don't want all this treating me like a child anymore, I want to be treated like the adult i am" Luhan demanded

"As you have just proven you are still a child"

Sehun rolled his eyes as the table started to hover above them, he turned to face Luhan "Put the table down, nicely" he ordered 

Luhan dropped the table and Sehun grabbed his book "There is no need to cause more mess than you already have, the basic answer here Luhan is no, you can not tell Nanami about us, we are immortal for christ sake, we've got powers to top it all off as well, can you imagine if this information got out? Can you imagine the people who would come after us? The technology now his more vast, people will be able to find us, hunt us down and do who knows what to us, this isn't about just you, this is a lot bigger than you, it's bigger than Nanami, it's about the twelve of us, you need to think about us as well" 

Luhan stayed silent, Jongin nodded and turned to Luhan as well "Luhan it's not like we don't think Nanami is trustworthy, i don't know her so i can't make that presumption but this isn't the first time someone has thought about telling another about our secret. When Baekhyun revealed to a women he thought he loved that he was imortal do you remember what happened?"

"she went mad" Luhan mumbled

"She went absolutely bat crazy more like!" Sehun snapped "First she didn't believe him, then when he showed her evidence, she went completely looney, she was ripping through the mansion trying to find the water to drink, she destroyed most of our prized possessions, not to mention she almost killed Baekhyun when he said he didn't know where the water was"

"It's not exactly like he would have died" Luhan muttered

Jongin shook his head "No he wouldn't have but the experience of dying isn't a nice one, Baekhyun would have been in pain till the day he would finally start to heal, which would take days, possibly months, considering she was swinging the knife around like it was a gymnastics ribbon"

Sehun sighed and ran his fingers through his hair "Anyway, we can't trust anyone but each other, we're all we have and that's just the way it has to be"

"what a lonely existance" Luhan sighed resting his head on the table 

Sehun gently started petting his hair "how can you possibly be lonely when i'm with you constantly, rather rude to say in all honesty"

Luhan scoffed then broke out into laughter. Sehun smiled at him and Jongin stood up from the table "I'm sorry that it has to be this way Luhan, i truly am. Just enjoy  the next few years you have with Nanami before you move again" Jongin said as he disappeared out of the kitchen.

"That was quite the performance you put on there" Sehun mumbled still Luhan's hair 

A smirk emerged on his face "thanks"

"You should actually show up to the play rehearsals" 

The two fell silent as Sehun continued to pet Luhan.
Then out of nowhere he hit Luhan hard on the head "What was that for?" Luhan mumbled

"That's for not showing up to class yesterday"

Another hit 

"That ones for the ing mess you just made"

Sehun hit Luhan hard again with all his might "That final one" he mumbled "is for me wasting my breath since you already told Nanami before you got home"

Even though Luhan was in a large amount of pain he was still smiling "I don't remember inviting you out as well"

"That vision was a nasty shock on the way home, i collasped, people called an ambulance" Sehun sighed angrily 

Luhan scoffed at Sehun "how is that my fault? I didn't give you the power to see the future, i didn't tell you to have the vision"

"You know that i keep tabs on you, i like to make sure you're safe"

"I'm perfectly safe" Luhan smiled rubbing his head 

"If Nanami is going to know did you at least tell her that"

"I already told her everything that she needs to be cautious of you have nothing to worry about okay, i trust Nanami"

Sehun sighed and dropped his book on Luhan's head while standing up from around the table 

"What was that one for?" Luhan whined rubbing his head 

Sehun didn't bother to pick up the book again as he walked out of the room "For not talking to me about it first" 

 


 

A few hours earlier

 

Nanami moved her feet awkwardly as she sat across from none other than Luhan. There were seated in a cafe, it wasn't busy at all, in fact herself and Luhan were the only people in there. Nanami started searching her brain for a topic to talk about, something to bring up even if it was about something that they both had no interest in. She had already asked him what he thought about the weather seven times on their walk to this destination and every time Luhan would give her a different answer.

"The weather is calming" 

"It feels like summers coming doesn't it?"

"The weather here is nice but i want it to snow soon"

"It's almost the end of Spring that means that school will be out for the year"

"The sky looks especially red tonight, doesn't that make you feel warm?"

"It's an especially cloudless day so it will be easy to see the stars tonight"

"Do you really care about the weather this much?"

After that failure of an attempt at conversation she stopped trying and just stayed in silence till they reached the cafe. Luhan still walked at least five steps ahead of her. He stayed silent and didn't bother to make conversation either. She wondered why that was, why he never tried to keep the conversation alive but to ask would be considered rude so she stayed silent and just enjoyed the fact that Luhan wanted to be around her at all. However now that they were seated it was quickly becoming awkward between them. Though Nanami was panicing internally, Luhan was completely at peace with the silence, he enjoyed it. This was how he and Renka spent most of there time together. In silence. He didn't like mindless conversations he prefered it to flow naturally and not be forced. So while he was completely calm and content with the silence Nanami wasn't, she finally thought of something for them to talk about when Luhan suddenly stood up and walked to the counter to order them drinks. 

Nanami let out a sigh and sunk in her seat. She felt like Luhan had just defeated her without knowing it. Luhan came back and sat down across from Nanami. He muffled laughter at her deflated demeanor. Nanami sat up straight when she realised Luhan was laughing at her. The two sat in silence again for a few minutes till  this time Luhan started the conversation.

"You still see the red string?" he asked softly looking at his wrists 

Nanami looked at him in shock not expecting him to even bother to remember that they were attached to each other, especially since he had a girlfriend "uh.. ye.. yes" she stuttered 

"hmm, that's good" Luhan replied looking over her head at a painting 

"Good?" Nanami asked her cheeks turning red 

Luhan nodded as he interlaced his finger together "yes good"

"wh.. why is it good?"

"Because i except it, i have excepted fate" Luhan smiled looking back at Nanami "I'm going to fall in love with you"

Nanami's eyes were so wide she thought they were going to fall out of her head, how was he saying this all so carelessly when merely days ago he refused to do anything with her. The only explanation she could come up with was that he was lying, that he was playing some sort of prank on her, then she wished she had walked home with Sehun instead to prevent this from happening. 

"You think i'm lying?" Luhan asked tilting his head to the side "i'm not lying Nanami, i have been fighting an inner battler for a long time about how i feel about you and now i have finally realised my feelings for you i want you to accept them"

Nanami continued to stay silent not knowing what would be the right thing to do or say at this time 

"I'm going to tell you something that i want you to take seriously, it is something i have only told one other person and i want you to keep a secret, okay?"

Nanami looked up at him, his expression was hard and serious, she nodded because she really didn't know if she could talk right now since everything she was hearing didn't seem to feel real. She felt like she was in a dream and was about to wake up any minute.

The barista came and dropped off their drinks and then walked off again after Luhan thanked her. He turned back to Nanami and let out a breath "I'm immortal"

Nanami couldn't stand it anymore. She was sick of this joke that Luhan was playing on her "Okay i see that you don't want to take me seriously, but you're not just wasting my time you're wasting your own now" she snapped 

Luhan laughed again "Why don't you believe me?"

"BecauSE IT'S IMPOSSIBLE?" she yelled angrily "I'm sick of this game, i'm leaving"

Luhan sighed and stared at her "I can't prove to you that i'm immortal here, unless you want to stab me with a butter knife and see me not die, i'm immortal but i still feel pain so that wont really be fun for me"

Nanami rolled her eyes angrily "Okay then what can you prove to me?"

Luhan snapped his fingers and her mug flew into his grasp. Luhan snapped his fingers again and it was back in her grasp. 

"How did yo"

"telekinesis, i have that too"

".. so wait.. how?"

Luhan took a sip of his coffee "When i was young i was from a poor family in China, i helped an old lady across a dirt road and she handed me a water canteen, she told me to drink it when i was on my death bed however my younger sibling tried to drink from the canteen and i snatched it drinking it all incase the water was poisioned. The next day i had someone knock on my door coming to talk to me, that someone was Kim Jongin"

"your uncle?" Nanami asked in a shocked tone

"yes my "uncle"" Luhan sighed rolling his eyes "the water was the water of immortality, you see once you drink the water you can't die, you stop aging at the age when you drank it"

Nanami nodded but was still completely confused with how any of this was possible "How did Mr Kim find you?" she asked curiously 

"By then Sehun had mastered his seeing of the future so he saw that i was going to become immortal, Jongin travelled to China to find me" Luhan explained 

"Sehuna? Future?" Nanami asked with wide eyes 

"Sehun, Jongin, myself, we are all immortal" 

Nanami nodded again though of course she was having a difficult time trying to swallow all this information "okay... well Sehuna can see the future, you can move things with your mind.. Mr Kim can... what can Mr Kim do?" She asked tilting her head 

"Jongin can read minds and teleport"

"TELEPORT?" Nanami screamed

"Yes teleport" Luhan sighed angrily at her "try to keep your voice down"

"Sorry, sorry" she said gently 

"Anyway, Jongin has a lot of powers, those are the only two i know about, he is the first immortal, i don't know much about him, he keeps to himself, he prefers to be the one to look after everyone else"

"everyone else?" Nanami asked "as in there are more immortals?"

"hmm" Luhan nodded "they live in England"

"England? Why England?" Nanami questioned

"They live in England because that is where Jongin was living when he met Kris and that's where they decided to stay" Luhan explained "Kris is the second immortal"

"So it's only the four of you? That's not many, not to mention wouldn't Kris be lonely in England by himself?"

"All together there is twelve of us" 

"TWELVE???" Nanami exclaimed "Isn't that.. a lot?"

"Well i guess when you see it from an outsiders perspective" Luhan agreed "but to us it's rather boring with only the twelve of us"

"Are the others here as well? do they also work at the school?" 

"No the rest are back in England they don't like to travel very much" Luhan explained 

"do they all have powers as well?"

Luhan nodded "yes they do"

Nanami nodded continously taking in all this information "i see.. so you're all from..?"

"Well we're all from either Korea or China, the water hole itself has been destroyed so no one else can abuse the power of being immortal but it use to reside in South Korea. Myself, Kris and two others are from China. The rest are all from South Korea"

Nanami was surprised at how well she was taking this informtaion but in her head she still thought that she was dreaming and that when she woke up Luhan would be back to ignoring her, and staring out windows during class. In a small way she wanted that to happen.

"Are you really that shocked by all of this when you can see invisible Red strings Nanami?" Luhan question taking a sip of his coffee

"That's.. that's true, i shouldn't be as sceptical as i am, i don't know why it's taking me so long to wrap my head around the idea of you not being mortal like myself and everyone else not to mention you have powers as well. Also i didn't believe you because you resented me so much, you can't blame me for thinking that it's a joke when, whenever you look at me it feels like i am being stabbed"

"Ah.. is that so?" Luhan asked softly "i apologise for that, it was.. knowing that you are my true love was a hard pill to swallow when i was i have been in love with someone for as long as i have" 

"Your girlfriend.. is she"

"dead? yes.. well the thing is she never was my girlfriend, she knew that we weren't going to be together no matter what happened between us, so it was a one sided love but since i have been travelling so much i usually just say that i have a girlfriend so i don't get bothered as much, it usually does the trick" Luhan explained 

"Oh right.. sorry for asking, if there's anything you don't want to talk about just tell me, i have tendency to talk without thinking, so if somethin is too personal and you don't want to share then tell me and i will back off" Nanami smiled

Luhan smiled back at her then his expression fell serious when he remember more things to tell her

"Oh! By the way never bring up the fact that we are immortal to anyone but myself, not even Sehun no matter what he tells you or shows you, got it? Especially say nothing to Jongin, it could turn sore if you do" Luhan warned "Any questions come to me, don't bother talking to anyone else or people will start going missing" 

"Going.. missing?" Nanami mumbled 

"Just do this for me, if we are going to progress in anyway i need to be able to trust you"

"I.. i promise, i want you to trust me" Nanami said quietly 

Luhan smiled at her and started to drink the rest of his coffee. The two fell back into silence as they finished their drinks.

"Is there anything else i should know?" Nanami asked holding her head after she placed her cup down on the table again "Since you've thrown so much information my way this afternoon i think i can take anything else you've got now" she laughed 

"That picture that Cheyol Yong found of my father and your mother wasn't actually my father, it was me, and i was in love with your mother"


 

Authors Notes:

Next chapter i'm going to go into full detail about all the immortals so back stories galore including what happens to the people who go missing, so bear with me because that chapter is probably going to be extremely long.
Also with the news that Luhan is leaving exo i hope that all the Luhan stans and EXO fans are okay and staying strong in this hard time, everybody stay strong and stay happy because it is probably for the best <3 
Anyway, sorry if this chapter was really long i had a lot i wanted to get in this chapter.
I hope you enjoyed it :) 

Thank you for reading and subscribing <3