XIUCHEN - Fever

Academy (Permanent Hiatus)

Pairing: Xiuchen 

Word Count: 2,556

Description: Jongdae doesn't come to potions class anymore.  He doesn't even come to school anymore.  The only reason this bothers Minseok si because he's worried about his Potions grade.  Yeah that's definitely the reason. 

 

Fever 

 

            “What are you doing?” Chanyeol came out of his bedroom to find Sehun hiding under a blanket as he stared out of the window.  It looked like it was a nice day.  The sun was out and the sky was blue.  There was a nice cool breeze to set off the high temperature.  But there were strikes of lightning appearing in the sky. 

            “I’m waiting for the thunder,” Sehun was staring at the window intensely.  He had nothing against lightning and normally he didn’t care about thunder either.  But he was still slowly phasing out of his cat phase.  Luckily, his aversion to water disappeared a week ago which was fortunate for the whole apartment. 

            Chanyeol looked out of the window and then at the weather schedule on the fridge.  Because three people of their group were weather controllers (Sehun for wind, Kyungsoo for nature and Jongdae for lightning) they had weather schedules.  The school assigned weather conditions for every single day of the year and the weather controllers were only allowed three days of unexcused slip ups.  Any more and they were at risk of expulsion or failing.  

            “Jongdae!” Chanyeol pulled the schedule off the fridge and went into Jongdae’s room, “Why is there lightning in the sky?”

            Jongdae was curled up in a ball in his bed, hidden under five layers of blankets.  He was sweating profusely and sweating.  He kept on throwing off his blankets and then pulling them closer to him. 

            Kyungsoo appeared beside Chanyeol, “Why is there lightning ou---oh.”

            “It happens when I’m sick.  I can’t control my powers,” Jongdae pushed the blankets off of him and rolled around on his mattress. 

            Kyungsoo was about to walk into the room but Chanyeol held him back, “Are you contagious? What do you have?”

            “I think I have a fever.”

            Chanyeol pushed Kyungsoo behind him and walked into the room.  He put his hand to Jongdae’s forehead. 

            “101 degrees Fahrenheit. Yeah you’ve got a fever alright.  A bad one.” 

            Jongdae rolled around in his bed, “Just let me rest for today.”  He barely finished his sentence when a light snore came from him. 

            “Someone should take care of him,” Kyungsoo looked pitifully at his sick friend.

            “I will!” Sehun volunteered. 

            “No, you missed enough school as it is,” Kyungsoo scolded, “I’ll stay with him.”

 

            Joonmyun shook his head as he looked at the lightning bolts in the sky. 

            “Your potions partner is obviously not looking at the right schedule.” 

            Minseok eyed the sky, feeling a little bit worried. It wasn’t like Jongdae to mess up something so important.  Weather control was one of the most important things at the academy and there were only a few people who could control the weather.  It amplified their importance even more. 

            “Where is he anyway?” Yixing asked. 

            “Probably hiding from the weather patrol,” Luhan put an arm around Minseok, “Look the lightning is getting worse.”  There were more lightning bolts now; it was lighting up the day more than the sun. 

A strong bolt from the sky appeared in the distance and not long after they saw smoke rising up from where the lightning struck moments before. 

           

            Minseok felt like he was going crazy.  It’d been four days and the lightning was still in the sky and Jongdae still hadn’t shown up to school for any one of them.  Each day he would sit in potions class with an empty seat next to him. 

            “If it bothers you so much you can ask one of them,” Yixing nudged Minseok. 

            “I thought we weren’t supposed to talk with any of them under any circumstance,” Tao spoke up from beside Yixing.  The two both turned with surprised looks to the younger boy who shrugged.  It was rare to hear Tao speak.  He was a nice kid actually.  He was always polite and doing house chores without being asked.  The apartment never looked so clean in all the time they’d lived in the apartment.  But he was quiet. 

            “Yes,” Minseok snared, “We aren’t supposed to talk to them under any circumstance.”

            “But it’s obviously bothering you,” Yixing stated the obvious.

            Minseok shook his head, “No way.”

 

           

            “I really think I’m doing better,” Jongdae was still curled up in a ball in his bed as his friends gathered around him and stared. 

            “Your fever’s raised about 3 degrees.  We should get a doctor!” Baekhyun exclaimed.

            “You might die!” Jongin added. 

            “Don’t be so dramatic.  I just need some rest,” Jongdae said weakly.

            “Are you kidding me?  You’ve been resting for six days straight.  You haven’t eaten anything!  This is serious, Jongdae!”

            “I’m okay,” Jongdae muttered.  He was on his knees crawling to the corner of his room blindly.  He slipped on a pillow and decided to stay on the ground. 

            “You’re almost as warm as me, Jongdae,” Chanyeol put his hand around Jongdae’s wrist, “This isn’t right.”

            “If I’m not better in another week you can take me away.”

            “How about if you aren’t better by tonight,” Kyungsoo argued.

            “Five days,” Jongdae muttered. 

            “Two and I’m not settling for more,” Kyungsoo seethed. 

 

            Minseok froze in the doorway of his potions classroom when he saw who was in the seat next to his. 

            “What are you doing here?” Minseok asked.  He looked back at his classroom door.  Yup he was in the right room.

            Chanyeol rolled his eyes, “I’m taking notes. What does it look like?”

            “You’re not in this class,” Minseok sat down in his seat, “That’s Jongdae’s seat.”

            “Well he won’t be using it.”

            Minseok’s head snapped towards him, “What do you mean by that?”

            Chanyeol just shrugged. 

            “He…he didn’t drop out, did he?”

            Chanyeol turned to him and raised an eyebrow, “It’s not like you care right?  He’s just your potions partner.”

            Minseok gave a nervous laugh, “I don’t care.  But he’s my partner and half of my grade depends on him.”

            Chanyeol shrugged and took out his notebook.

            Minseok couldn’t focus during the whole lesson.  He would sneak glances at Chanyeol who was paying close attention to whatever the professor was saying.  Chanyeol was actually taking diligent notes.  His hand was moving across his notepad notebook nonstop.  He even asked the professor a few questions; he wasn’t even in the class! 

            At the end of the class, Chanyeol stood up quickly to leave.  Minseok sprung out of his seat when he saw Chanyeol get up. He opened his mouth to say something. He even shot out a hand to stop Chanyeol from leaving, but he stopped before touching Chanyeol.  He saw Chanyeol stiffen.  He probably felt Minseok’s chill.  This was actually about the only time they’d been in each other’s company and didn’t even throw attacks at each other.  All considering, this was a major achievement.  But Minseok didn’t care. 

            He wanted to ask Chanyeol about Jongdae.  But Chanyeol left before he could think of the right way to ask.  Minseok missed his only chance of finding out why Jongdae was gone.

                       

            “Minseok!”

            Minseok jumped when he heard his name and jumped into a large bush. 

            “What are you doing?” Joonmyun’s head appeared from the bush and looked him straight in the eyes.  It was almost like a scene from a horror scene.  Minseok had his mouth open in a silent scream and Joonmyun had a smile on (it could be described as sinister if you squinted) and lightning bolts appeared in the sky behind Joonmyun. 

            “What the hell are you doing surprising me like that?” Minseok exclaimed.  He pushed Joonmyun away and jumped out of the bush himself. 

            “What are you doing? Don’t you have potions class?”

            Minseok shook off some dirt from his shirt before looking around, “He’s not in class again.  It’s almost been two weeks.”

            “You’re worried,” Joonmyun pointed out.    

            “I just don’t want to fail this course,” Minseok corrected.  He pulled Joonmyun by the arm towards the people he was looking for. 

            “Isn’t that Chanyeol’s group?” Joonmyun stiffened, “What are we doing?”

           There was a large group in between the two of them.  Chanyeol, Baekhyun and Sehun were walking together.  Minseok pulled Joonmyun to hide behind a tree. 

            Sehun stopped. 

            Minseok stiffened when he saw Sehun turn around slowly.  Sehun was looking in their direction.  But he was smiling. 

            “Joonmyun hyung!” Sehun flicked his wrist and a gust of air came out of nowhere and forced Joonmyun towards him. 

            “Were you following me?” Sehun asked Joonmyun once the older was in front of him.

            “Were you looking out for me?” Joonmyun teased.  Sehun smiled and was about to reply when a huge flying fireball passed by him and grazed Joonmyun’s shoulder.

            “I told you not to fraternize with the enemy!” Chanyeol was in front of him followed by Baekhyun.  Minseok dashed out from behind the tree and pointed at everyone’s feet, effectively freezing everyone in place. 

            “What are you doing?” Chanyeol exclaimed.  He was turning red and his whole body was warming up with small flames.  Suddenly, Jongin teleported right beside Chanyeol, with Kyungsoo by his side. 

            Both of them were glaring at Minseok and Joonmyun. 

            “Look, I don’t want to fight,” Minseok said calmly.  He could feel Joonmyun holding back a tidal wave of power. 

            “Then leave,” Chanyeol smiled, “It’s five against two anyways.  You don’t stand a chance.”

            Joonmyun was backing away, tugging Minseok with him but Minseok didn’t move. 

            His voice was soft, “I just want to know where Jongdae is.”

            Chanyeol glared at him, “It’s none of your business.”  He nodded his head and motioned for everyone to leave but almost tripped because his feet were still frozen to the ground.  Baekhyun actually did fall.  Joonmyun laughed but Minseok just looked lost. 

            Kyungsoo rolled his eyes and tapped his foot on the ground.  The ice quickly shattered and as one they all left in the opposite direction they were originally heading. 

            Sehun stopped in front of Joonmyun. 

            “He’s sick.  He has a fever of 104 but he doesn’t want to see a doctor.  It’s getting bad.” 

            “Oh Sehun you come here right this instant!” Chanyeol exclaimed.  Sehun turned towards his friends.  He gave Minseok a weak smile and turned to follow them.

            Joonmyun smiled as he felt a soft breeze caress his cheek. 

            “Well now you know---Minseok?”

            Joonmyun turned to see a trail of icicles on the ground and Minseok running away as fast as he could. 

 

            “Jongdae!” Minseok pounded on the door of Jongdae’s apartment.  He never thought in a million years he would willingly be going into enemy territory.  But here he was knocking on the door. 

            Minseok kept on pounding on the door, but there was no answer.

            “If you don’t open up I’m going to break this down!” Minseok shouted.  He put his hand to the knob and turned it.  The door opened.  Minseok rushed inside.

            “Jongdae, are you here?”

            When he found Jongdae, the boy was clutching a stuffed doll to his body.  He was curled up against the wall and the mattress was overturned.  His blankets were at his feet.  Everything in the room was just chaos. 

            “Minseok?” Jongdae’s voice was weak but he still managed to convey shock at the sudden appearance of his potions partner. 

            Usually wherever Minseok went, he was surrounded by a chill.  It came with his power of snow.  Like Chanyeol’s unnaturally high body heat, Minseok had an abnormally low body temperature.  But for some reason Jongdae was the only one who wasn’t affected by Minseok’s surrounding chill.  He could hold hands with Minseok all day and never feel cold.

            “Why are you here?” Jongdae got up into a sitting position. 

            Minseok ignored his question and walked over to him.  He threw the blankets off of Jongdae and put a hand to his forehead. He immediately drew back his hand when he felt how hot it was. 

            “You’re burning.”

            “Usually that’s what happens when you have a fever,” Jongdae smiled weakly before slumping back into a ball on the floor. 

            Minseok frowned.  He grabbed Jongdae and brought him to the bed.  He covered him with a blanket.

            “It’s too hot,” Jongdae argued but Minseok shushed him.  Jongdae watched Minseok take off his shirt and get into the bed beside him. 

            “I’ll cool you up,” Minseok whispered.  He put his arms around Jongdae and brought him closer.  Jongdae didn’t feel anything for a while but slowly he felt his body start cooling.  It felt nice and refreshing.  He didn’t feel as hot anymore but he didn’t feel Minseok’s cold body at all.  Instead of feeling cold, he was just feeling better.

            “You should probably take a nap.  I’ll wake you up when you’re better,” Minseok urged him.  Jongdae snuggled closer to Minseok.  He tucked his head under Minseok’s chin and for the first time since he felt sick he fell into a nice full sleep. 

            Minseok didn’t wake Jongdae up but Jongdae woke up when he felt Minseok’s arms loosen around him. 

            His eyes shot open and he jumped out of bed, “I’m healed!  I feel great!” 

            Minseok looked out of the window.  After two weeks, the ever present lightning was finally gone. 

            “I’m glad,” Minseok tugged on his shirt.  He was about to leave the room but Jongdae stopped him.

            “Ouch,” Minseok drew back his hand when he touched the door knob.  He felt an electric shock.

            “Why did you come here, Minseok?” Jongdae asked.

            Minseok didn’t answer for a long time, “You’re my project partner.  I didn’t want to do all the homework by myself.”

            “Just your project partner?” Jongdae got up from the bed and walked over to Minseok.  Minseok hesitated for a moment before a smirk appeared on his face, “Yes.  We’re partners…who share the occasional cauldron.”

            Jongdae laughed, “You mean we’re friends who occasionally go out on secret dates and make out?”

            “That’s one way of putting it,” Minseok said slowly.  He turned so he could meet Jongdae’s gaze, “I was worried okay.  I missed you.”

            “That’s more like it,” Jongdae smiled.  He leaned forward and pressed his lips to Minseok’s.  When they pulled away from each other, Minseok’s hair was straight up in the air. 

            “Sorry about that,” Jongdae tried to flatten his hair. 

            “It’s fine,” Minseok pulled forward to kiss Jongdae again.  Jongdae pulled away just enough to say, “Now would be the perfect time to ask me to be your boyfriend.”

            “Is that your way of asking me, because Jongdae,” Minseok moved closer so he could look Jongdae in the eye, “I would love ----“  

            “I SENSE MINSEOK!”        

            “Oh ,” Minseok pulled away completely from Jongdae, “I’m screwed aren’t I?”

            Minseok made his way to Jongdae’s window and pushed it open.  They were on the twelfth floor.  It wasn’t exactly a good height to jump from. 

            “Wait you’re not going to jump, are you?” Jongdae tried to grab onto Minseok’s arm but Minseok jumped off the ledge. 

            Jongdae ran to the window and luckily saw Minseok jump into a gigantic pile of snow. 

            “WHERE IS HE?” Chanyeol burned Jongdae’s door to a crisp as he threw the door open.  Kyungsoo was at his heels.  He quickly restrained Chanyeol in his arms.  Kyungsoo was smaller but he was definitely strong. 

            “He’s not here,” Jongdae turned around and casually leaned against the window ledge. 

            That’s when a snowball flew through the window and hit Chanyeol square in the face.  

tumblr_n43hd8zApm1sqxmy5o4_500.gif

 

Hello Everyone! 

Because of what's happened, the next two chapters will be Taoris (there will be a part 1 and a part 2) and then I'll be ending this story indefinitely.  Or I will be on a permanent hiatus.  

 

Story Tidbit: so Minseok and Jongdae are potions partners but obvi they are more than that. but they're in enemy groups so they have to sneak around.  therefore their friends don't know they have a relationship.  I think minseok's friends might suspect there is something more but they don't ask and they accept jongdae in their group now.  Jongdae's friends are in denial. lol.  they think jongdae likes minseok but dont think they are even friends and ofc not sneaking around.