SPINOFF - The Lonely Dragon's Story (Taoris)

Academy (Permanent Hiatus)

 

PROLOGUE

 

            It was difficult living in the human world…at least for Kris it was.  He looked like any other human albeit a bit taller.  Honestly, he could pass off as a human, but he wasn’t.

Kris hatched from a dragon egg a couple of hundred years ago.  He was one of six dragons in the dragon world who still had the ability to shift into a human, and he was the only dragon living in the human world; the only dragon brave enough to leave the comfort of the dragon realm in the last few centuries. 

            When he first left the dragon realm, he was naïve. By dragon standards he was young, a baby.  Kris was looking for an adventure; he let his emotions control his decisions more than his brain.  All Kris knew at the time was that his friend needed help.  His friend was a human named Tao. 

In the human world some humans had powers.  Tao had the power to go back in time.  Tao didn’t abuse his power; to be honest he rarely used it.  But when you lose someone you love, you lose all sense of logic and rationale.  Tao lost his boyfriend, Baekhyun.  That’s where it all began.  Tao decided to use his power to go back and change things; he was determined to prevent the other’s death. 

            The young dragon decided to follow Tao.  Kris convinced himself that following Tao would be a great new experience; it was a better explanation than wanting to be by the human’s side.  Dragons didn’t get attached; it was impossible to feel that kind of emotion.

Kris has been following Tao for over a hundred years.  A hundred years and nothing’s changed.  Baekhyun still died every time.      

            Maybe it started out as an adventure but the excitement wore off.  He might have been in this world for a hundred years but he was reliving the same couple of years over and over again each time Tao went back in time to prevent Baekhyun’s death.  Tao stayed the same age and relived the same things. Kris was helpless; he could only follow.

Kris didn’t belong here; he missed his brothers.  What made things worse was Tao, who wouldn’t listen to anything Kris had to say.  The one friend he had, the one person he left the dragon realm for didn’t listen to him or understand him.  Tao was only focused on one person: Baekhyun. 

            Dragons don’t love.  Dragons’ emotion scale shifted between only a few emotions.  Dragons just didn’t care as much as humans did.  They hardly interacted with each other, so there was nothing to really feel. He doesn’t know when he started loving Tao.  Kris can blame the long amount of time they spent together or the fact that Tao was the only other creature that Kris ever interacted with besides his brothers.

            But having lived in the human world for so long now, Kris absorbed the human culture.  He could fit in perfectly among the humans.  He held affection for Tao, but he was afraid to admit that he probably loved the boy as well, especially since the boy could never return that emotion. 

           It wasn’t as dramatic or perfect as what he saw on TV or in the movies, but he was undoubtedly in a one sided love.