Of Kids

Of Kids And Parental Guidance

Minho has never been a morning person. He dreads setting not just one but at least three alarms to make sure he gets up and start the day on time. No matter how early he sleeps the night before, Minho always have difficulties getting out of bed the next morning. It’s no wonder that one of the reasons why Minho loves the weekend so much is because he usually gets to sleep in all he wants and wake up naturally. Like now – it’s Saturday and Minho wakes up deciding he definitely had a good night’s sleep. The room is peacefully quiet, save for the sounds of the air conditioner, and Minho guesses it is probably earlier than the time he needs to get up. Well, at least his mind is awake; his body, not so much.

Knowing he can still afford to sleep in, Minho refuses to open his eyes even though the rest of his senses are already working. Besides, he is too comfortable in bed to get up. And so, Minho pulls the covers around himself and relaxes every inch of his body, ready to sleep for at least an hour more. Just when he is drifting off to sleep, Minho feels the covers being pulled off him and the next thing he knows, a hand slaps his (rather painfully if he may add).

“Minho. Wake up.”

Upon hearing his husband’s voice, Minho groans and intentionally squeezes his eyes tightly together to show his irritation. Of all people, Kibum should know he hates being woken up when he doesn’t need to be awake especially on a weekend.

“Minho…” Kibum whines as he taps Minho’s continuously, “Come on, get up. I need you.”

It’s too bad Kibum doesn’t say those last three words in a different tone that will get Minho up (in more ways than one) in a flash. Kibum does sound a little desperate for help though; and so, Minho reluctantly peeks an eye open.

“What is it?” Minho asks in a gravelly voice, head bent down to look at his husband who is sitting near his hips, on the edge of the bed.

“Who, you mean.” Kibum corrects as he sighs, “Your 7 year old darling is one tough cookie.”

“Mikyung?” Minho’s eyes are completely open right now, “What’s wrong?”

“She’s staging a protest.”

“But the house is so quiet…”

“Have you heard of a silent protest, Minho?” Kibum shakes his head, “Your princess obviously has. She’s sitting at the door of her room and refusing to move or let anyone in.”

“Why?”

“I’m guessing she doesn’t want to share her room with Sungwoo…”

“Are you serious?” Minho sits up, alarmed by the sudden turn of events, “But she didn’t say anything when we talked to her about it… she was even fine when we rearranged her room last night to make space for Sungwoo’s stuff.”

“I think the reality’s only hitting her now.” Kibum lets out a breath, throwing his hands in the air, “I’ve tried everything, Minho, but Mikyung refuses to move. I thought I could entice her with breakfast but no, she stayed where she was. And you know what? I gave in and brought food to her instead because I couldn’t bear leaving her stomach growling. God, Minho, she’s even more determined than you!”

“Alright alright, calm down.” Minho says as he squeezes Kibum’s hand and starts moving off the bed, “I’ll go talk to her… where’s Sungwoo then?” 

Relieved that Minho is finally awake to hopefully solve the problem, Kibum falls back onto their queen size bed and runs a hand through his hair, “He’s your son… where do you think he is?”

“Still sleeping?” Minho smiles as he stands up, turning back to look at his husband.

“Of course,” Kibum closes his eyes, “Why am I suddenly thankful he’s only 4 this year?”

Minho can’t stop himself from laughing as he bends down and surprises Kibum with a kiss on his forehead.

“They grow up too fast, don’t they?”

Kibum reopens his eyes, a smile tugging on a corner of his lips, “Yeah… feels like just yesterday they came into our life.”

The memories of bringing Mikyung back to their home, and Sungwoo a few years after, come rushing back in an instant. Knowing that they’re thinking about the same thing, both Kibum and Minho share a moment with each other, blissful smiles on their faces, grateful for how their life together has turned out thus far.

Until Kibum breaks the moment by pushing Minho away.

“Now go brush your teeth and deal with our baby girl. We need her settled before the real day begins.”

“Yes, Bum.” Minho groans defeatedly as he makes his way to the bathroom first before he finally heads out of their room.

 

Since Mikyung’s room is just slightly down the hallway across their room, it only takes a few steps for Minho to find his daughter doing exactly what Kibum has earlier described to him. Sitting cross-legged on the floor, Mikyung looks up upon hearing the sound of footsteps and instantly pouts when her eyes meet Minho’s.

“I’m not gonna move.” Mikyung huffs and points to the tray of food right next to her, “And tell daddy to take this away.”

Minho sits down in front of Mikyung, not caring that he’s blocking half of the hallway, and notices that his daughter has barely touched her breakfast.

“Are you not hungry?”

Mikyung remains silent but raises her chin defiantly in the air.

“Do you want this?” Minho tries a different question.

Mikyung shakes her head stubbornly.

“Alright then.” Minho shrugs as he turns the tray towards him and first picks up the glass of apple juice. Under Mikyung’s watchful eyes, he takes a gulp of juice before reaching for the fork to get a good mouthful of pancakes into his mouth.

“Appa!” Mikyung almost looks scandalised at how Minho is eating her breakfast.

“Hmm?” Minho replies, mouth busy chewing the food.

“You… you…” Mikyung bites her bottom lip.

“Do you want some, baby girl?” Minho gently asks after he’s done swallowing his food.

Mikyung pulls the tray further away from Minho as she cries, “Appa! That’s my breakfast!”

“You said you didn’t want it though…” Minho is a picture of calm even though his seven year old is throwing a tantrum.

“But daddy made that for me!” Mikyung looks just about ready to cry as she snatches the fork out of Minho’s hand and tosses it back to the tray.

“We can’t let food go to waste right, sweetie?” Minho squeezes his daughter’s cheek gently, “Besides, I’m sharing it with you now, aren’t I?”

“Appa, it’s not fair...” Mikyung crosses her arms and mutters, “Why do I have to share?”

“I can’t eat your breakfast?” Minho blinks, a look of fake innocence on his face as he pretends he doesn’t understand what his daughter is talking about.

“No!” A frustrated Mikyung finally bursts, “I don’t wanna share my room with Sungwoo! It’s not fair!”

Trust Kibum to know exactly what’s bothering their little girl.

Minho can’t help but smile at how adorable his daughter is when she’s angry. It almost reminds him of Kibum. His daughter is arguably easier to handle though. Minho leans forward and easily lifts Mikyung into his lap. Not even resisting against her father, Mikyung naturally wraps her arms around Minho’s neck but the sadness in her eyes and the pout on her face remains.

“Mikyung… do you love halmeoni?”

Mikyung nods.

“Remember when Daddy and I told you she’s coming to stay with us?”

Mikyung nods once more and mumbles, “Daddy says halmeoni’s coming later… and that Sungwoo will sleep in my room from now on.”

“That’s right…” Minho tucks Mikyung’s long hair behind her ear and her face, “Halmeoni’s room isn’t ready yet… and we can’t let her sleep in the living room. That’s why Daddy and I need you to be a good older sister and share your room with Sungwoo for now… can you do that for us?”

“But Appa… Sungwoo will mess up my room. He’ll ruin all my stuff!” Mikyung grumbles animatedly as she squirms in Minho’s lap, flinging her arms around and shaking her head.

“He’s still young, sweetie, you have to teach him.” Minho patiently explains and then promises, “How about this? I’ll make sure he doesn’t do anything you don’t like… and if he disturbs you at night, you can sleep with Daddy and I alright?”

“Really?” Mikyung’s eyes light up with joy, “Can I, really?”

“Yes, sweetie.” Minho finds himself smiling along with his daughter and sticks out his little finger for his daughter to take, “Promise me that you’ll share your room with your brother?”

“I promise!” Mikyung hooks her little pinkie with Minho’s and then finally jumps up from his lap, “I want my breakfast now please!”

Before Minho can say anything, Mikyung is running down the hallway towards the kitchen. As a defeated smile appears on his face, he shakes his head and laughs to himself.

“You do know that I won’t allow her to sleep with us right?”

Minho instantly turns towards the direction of Kibum’s voice and finds his husband leaning against the door of their room. Simply giving his husband a smile, Minho finally stands up and stretches his limbs before he bends down to pick up the tray of breakfast that has gone cold.

“Minho… it took forever before she could finally sleep alone in her own room.” Following closely behind Minho, Kibum says in a hushed tone just in case Mikyung could hear them, “The promise you made with her is just going to spoil all our efforts.”

“Don’t worry, Bum.” Looking back, Minho assures Kibum, “I’ll make sure she doesn’t have the chance to do that.”

“You need to stop making empty promises.” Kibum says sternly but his actions are less harsh as he gently grabs Minho’s arm to stop him from walking before they enter the kitchen.

“Do you trust me?” Minho looks at his husband seriously.

Kibum rolls his eyes, “If I didn’t trust you, I wouldn’t have two kids with you…”

“Exactly. I know what I’m doing.” Minho nods and winks at Kibum, “See? Your daughter wants to eat breakfast now, doesn’t she? Come on, we better go check and make sure she’s not destroying our kitchen.”

“You do that.” Kibum says instead as he points backwards, “I’ll go check on Sungwoo.”

“Alright.” Minho replies but doesn’t want to let Kibum go just yet, “Hey, Bummie?”

“What?”

“Give me a kiss.”

“Why?”

“Because I solved the problem you couldn’t solve?”

“And that deserves a kiss because…?” Kibum raises an eyebrow at Minho and continues, “Also, may I remind you that that’s your duty as a parent?”

“Speaking about duties… I do believe that as a husband, you should…” Minho moves to hold the tray of food with one hand, resting some of its weight against his waist, before using his free hand to tap at his cheek, “I gave you a morning kiss but I haven’t got mine yet.”

“You’re such a cheeseball.”

Although Kibum says that, he still moves closer and gives Minho a kiss on his cheek.

“Now go check on Mikyung.” Kibum orders as he pushes Minho towards their kitchen. At the same time, he uses that force to turn himself around and walk towards their son’s room.

“I should have pointed to my lips if I knew it was going to be this easy…” Minho thinks out loud, remaining where he’s standing.

Kibum turns around and is about to shoot Minho a witty reply when their daughter’s voice fills in the silence.

“Appaaaaaaa!”

“Sorry, baby.” Kibum chuckles, “Duty calls.”

Minho and Kibum share a defeated smile before they finally walk in opposite directions to check on their kids.

It’s going to be a long day ahead for their family but they’re both ready to get the day going. Well, at least Minho knows he is since Kibum’s kiss, however reluctant it may have been, is enough to get him going for what is about to come.

 

Author's Note: sorry to keep you waiting! had some errands to run before i could come back online, but finally! the "prologue" is up! and fingers crossed it was worth the wait. ^^ hoping to update the last part by this weekend so till then, thanks for subscribing, reading, commenting and upvoting! i appreciate it loads.