Chapter 3

If Tomorrow Never Comes

I finally had the time to time this chapter so enjoy guys. Hahaha I only have 8 subscribers anyway. Please comment! ( ^_^ )

Thanks to my subscribers teejay2013, nncckk1, lolalovetae, njood727

Chapter 3

            The TV was in the living room and my son Benji was happily watching Blue’s Clues on TV. He was sitting on the couch with a blanket wrapped over him and his stuff toy Teddy was clutched under his left arm. He was happily eating animal crackers while sipping his orange juice every now and then. He was an adorable sight to look at. His left foot was hanging out of the couch while his body was tilted a little to the side. I smiled looking at my son from the kitchen counter.

            I was mixing up some cake batter while I sent my girls out on an errand. I was making chocolate cake in hopes of easing the loneliness that my kids were feeling all because their dad was away. I wore a plaid blue dress today and had an apron over it with animal prints. Today was my day off from work so I decided to spend it at home with my kids.

            I was too lazy to go out on a picnic so we decided to just stay at home and relax.

           “Ouver der! Behain da cownter.” Benji happily shouts at the TV while Steve was looking for Blue.

            I chuckled at his reaction. My husband loved watching this show and he passed it on to his kids.

            “Twinking chair!” Benji squeals. My heart was warmed by his cuteness and his angelic face. I continued to mix the batter and measure 4 cups of chocolate chips. I was engrossed in my task that I didn’t realize that my son was actually looking at me while supporting himself on top of the couch’s back. His cute head was sticking out as he rested his chin on the back cushion.

            “Momma!” He called me cheerfully. I snapped out of my concentration and looked at him. I giggled at his position.

            “What’s wrong baby?” I asked him while noticing that the show was interrupted by a commercial.

            “No more jucy!” He said in a pout while showing his now empty juice box. I chuckled and took out another box of juice from the fridge. I went over to him and handed him the juice.

            I ruffled his hair and kissed his cheeks then afterwards gave him a tight hug. He giggled and gave me a sloppy kiss.

            “Momma will Benji eat cwake later?” He asked me while holding out his hands for another pack of animal crackers. I smiled and opened the pack for him.

            “Yes Benji will eat cake later.” I told him as I opened a pack of string cheese and handed it to him as well. My son loved cheese. He eagerly took the string cheese and began eating it. Benji was a little fat for his age and the blame was on me since I feed him a lot. He is a jolly and energetic kid though so he burns his calories easily.

            He squealed at the mention of cake. He stood up and started bouncing on the couch.

            “Momma can Benji help bake cake?” He asked me with his puppy eyes. I shook my head and made him sit down.

            “Benji might get injured while helping, but Benji can help decorate the cake later.” I told him and he squealed.

            “Can Benji help eat cake too?!” he asked in his hyper mode again. I chuckled then nodded.

            “Yay! I gets to eat cake Teddy. Here that?!” he asked his teddy bear.

            I wouldn’t actually mind if he helped it’s just that if I let him help he will end up eating all the chocolate chips and I needed those for the cake. He is exactly like his dad. I return to my mixing and pretty soon my girls came back carrying the things I asked them to buy. I asked Serena to buy a box of eggs and other things I needed to decorate the cake. They placed their purchases on the fridge. I saw Violet taking out a packet from the paper bags.

            “Momma we brought I cream. You don’t mind right?” Serena asked me as she expected a scolding. I only giggled.

            “Did you buy me one?” I asked her and she nodded giggling.

            “What ice cream did you buy?” I asked them and Violet showed me the big popsicles they bought. I took mine while they gave one to their hyper brother who was jumping on the couch at the sight of ice cream. Serena opened my Popsicle for me and together we made the cake. Violet watched cartoon shows with her little brother.

            After finishing the batter Violet stopped watching the TV show and dashed to help us bake the cakes. We separated the cake into two large circular baking pans and the placed the rest on muffin tins lined with pretty paper. Serena and Violet got a little messy in the process and they giggled at each other’s appearance. We placed the cakes inside the already preheated oven and waited for it to bake.

            We made the chocolate icing while waiting for the cake. Benji helped of course, he ate the scrap icing on the bowl. After our icing episode my kids looked like they were the ones being decorated. They had icing on their faces and even on their hair. Benji was trying to his older sisters’ faces causing them to giggle. While the caked baked I cleaned up the mess with my daughters helped and when that was done I send them off to take a bath. My girls took a bath together while I bathe Benji.

 

            My kids were newly bathe and were drinking orange juice while we watched the news. Benji was lying down on the rug while his ate his sister’s gummy worms. I laughed as Violet struggled to hide her food but it was to no avail. My son could spot his favorite candy a mile away. Serena was eating her packet of strawberry shortcake cookies while sharing some to me. I caressed my eldest daughter’s hair as she rested her head on my lap. My eyes were fixed on the show on TV, we were watching a sitcom. It was Benji’s favorite show. The cake was cooling on the wire rack. We would decorate it later.

            A news flashed suddenly interrupted the show we were watching. Serena sat up abruptly while Benji ran towards me. My eyes were glued to the TV. The video was being shot somewhere in East Asia. I wasn’t exactly sure where. The words Manila flashed on the screen and my breathing suddenly became rapid.

            “Momma!” Benji cried out to me in fear as the video showed people swarming around a building where the reporter was currently at. I knew he was afraid so I picked him up my eyes never left the screen. Violet hid behind her sister.

            “What are they doing?” Serena asked in horror. The reporter was saying something about a mania or madness. I couldn’t understand. All that I could really comprehend was the fact that the swarming people were becoming violent and they were hurting other people.

            “Momma!” My daughters’ screams filled my ears as they camera man capture the appearance of the people below what appears to be a wall.

            It was a gruesome sight; the people appeared as though they haven’t slept for days. Their skins were pale, almost grey white and it was so sunken that you could almost see their bones beneath it. Their hairs were lifeless and they were very thin.  I was sure that I would get nightmares after seeing their appearance. Benji was crying while Serena’s eyes were still fixated to the screen just like mine.

            “Momma did you see their eyes?!!” Violet shouted pointing at the man on screen whose eyes were blood red. I was too shocked to speak, their eyes were indeed blood red it was as if they were on drugs or someone had poured alcohol over their eyes. They were screaming while there was chaos in the place where the reporter was located.

            The people below the wall were speaking in incoherent words and wild crazy grunts. I covered my son’s eyes as they flashed another video of the madness crazed people. I felt like crying as I saw men in uniform present in the area. I heard shouts as some of the crazed people were climbing fast towards the top of the wall. I heard gunshots and more uniformed men coming in. Benji was still crying while I watched the whole scene with an almost dead heart. I saw the American Flag waving amongst the Filipino and other national flags indicating that our troops and those from other nations were fighting whatever were happening in the Philippines.

             The flash news ended but the show was not resumed an emergency evening news was aired instead. My children were crying and I couldn’t comfort them for I was sobbing uncontrollably.

            “Daddy’s in Manila!” Violet blurts out while hugging her older sister. Serena wasn’t saying anything.

            “Twose bad guys with daddy?” Benji asks in horror. Serena snapped out of her crying and comforted her sibling. I embraced my kids and told them everything would be alright.

            “Daddy’s a fighter Benji. Daddy would beat those bad guys.” Violet told her still scared sibling.

            “Lwike superman?” Benji asked.

            “Yes like Superman.” Serena told her sibling.

 

            We decorated the cake peacefully. My daughter’s eyes were still puffy while my son was pouting. None of us was in the mood actually. We were finished with the cake and I told Serena to place it in the fridge when I heard the doorbell ring.

            I hurried to answer it and felt relieved at seeing my baby brother cheekily greeting me with a box of pizza and some groceries in hand.

            “Yuto!” I greeted him happily. He gave me a tight bear hug. My kids heard their uncle’s name so they rushed towards the door wailing.

            “Ok who died why are you guys crying?!” He asked them surprised. They began to tell him all about the news they’ve seen on TV and he nodded and listened to them. I took his purchases and placed them in the fridge. I left the pizza on the counter and brought out plates.

            “Come on guys your dad is a general! He is a tough guy! You don’t have to worry about him.” he reassured them.

            “But thot bad gways look scwaryy!” Benji said while hiding his face.

            “Well you dad looks scarier.” Yuto joked.

            “Hey! No calling my handsome husband scary!” I scolded him and soon my kids were laughing.

            Yuto was telling then jokes and stories. Tonight he was telling them a horror story while they ate pizza. Miraculously my kids were happily listening in. He was teaching them the things to do when a monster attacks you, Yuto version. I ended up being hyped because of him. After our pizza dinner, courtesy of my brother we ate the cake and afterwards I told my kids to get ready for bed.

            They brushed their teeth and took a hot bath then I send them off to bed. I prepared the guest bedroom for my brother since he was staying for the night. I let him get settled and have his night shower while I did the same. After my hot bath I went to the living room in my jammies paired with my husband’s oversized white college shirt.

            I spot my brother opening the red wine he bought. He handed me a glass and we sat in the couch while he studied my features. He sighed seeing the worry returning in my eyes.

            “Worried?” he asked me and I nodded.

            “What were those things?” I asked him.

            “The ones shown on TV?” he asked me while sipping his wine.

            “Yes.” I asked.

            “Humans with a severe mental illness at least that is what UN thinks.” He told me.

            I looked at him in disbelief. My brother worked in the UN as one of the scientist working in WHO (World Health Organization). Even though he looks like an idiot and well a happy go lucky kid who should be an actor, he is actually very smart, a genius even.

            “A mental illness?” I ask again.

            “Yes pathetic excuse right?” He asked sarcastically hinting that he thinks it’s something else.

            I look at my wedding ring and then take a swig of my wine.

            “You knew didn’t you?” I asked him accusingly. I am sure he knew that my husband was being sent to that place because of those crazed people.

            “If I said yes you would kill me.” He said wittily.

            “If you said no I would still kill you.” I told him. He laughed and then became silent.

            “I wanted to tell you but hyung told me not to because he knew you would go berserk.” He stated in his defense.

            I sighed that was typical of my husband. Park Jungsu loved to keep his problems to himself even though he knew perfectly well that he had to tell me. He hates the idea of me worrying too much.

            “So how are you holding up?” Yuto asked me.

            I looked at him with teary eyes. “I don’t know after seeing what was happening on TV. I don’t even think I can sleep tonight just thinking of him being out there.” I said in a sob. I should be used to it by now being a military man’s wife but I never could. I always end up worrying and tiring myself out.

            Yuto drank all of his wine and gave me a tight hug.

            “Go to sleep sis you’re tired.” He told me as he made his way towards his room. I got up from my seat and headed to our master bedroom after placing our used glasses on the sink. My eyes darted to our family picture hung above the TV. Me and Jungsu sitting on the lawn with Benji standing in front of us and our girls sitting beside each of us, Violet sat next to me while Serena sat next to her dad. It was taken on Thanksgiving Day when we had a picnic in the park.

            I dove into the blanket and hugged his pillow. I was about to fall asleep when my phone rang and I frantically picked it up.

            “Honey?” I greeted him. I heard him chuckle on the other line. I wanted to blurt out that I knew everything but I held my tongue so as not to ruin the moment.

            “You miss me that much huh?” he asked me. Hell yes I did!

            “No.” I lied pulling at the hem of his shirt.

            “You’re wearing my clothes again aren’t you?” he asked me playfully.

            “Yes. I’m wearing your college shirt without any pants.” I decided to in hopes of making myself laugh.

            “You’re half ?” He blurts out. ert as usual.

            “Yes. So hurry up and come home! I miss you.” I told him controlling my voice.

            He chuckled again and said. “If only I could.”

            “Jungsu…” I called out to him in sobs. I knew he was in some dangerous situation.

            “Taeng…” he said apologetically realizing he had slipped.

            “I know.” I told him as I finally broke into sobs.

            “I’m sorry honey. I really am!” He said on the other line trying some way to comfort even though he was halfway across the globe.

            “You come back alive do you hear me?! Alive!” I said.

            “I will! I promise.” He said and with that I ended our call and buried my face in his pillow muffling out my cries.

            I awoke to the sounds of numerous explosions firing in the city and to the sound of helicopters and sirens telling people to leave the city immediately…