"What are you saying?! Of course not!"

Inelegance is a Charm

[1: "What are you saying?! Of course not!"]

{Goddess of Inelegance’s POV}

“Hyesu-ah! Hurry the heck up!” Kang Jin Ae was already at the far end corner of the hallway, running, and not even looking back to see my dejected state.

I was running perfectly, no problem at all, until I absentmindedly let go of my ped school bag. With a shocked expression on my face, I watched my bag fly across the hallway and saw my pens and paper clutter the tiled floor. Students were all running, some just walking, on their way to the auditorium and some even kicked my pens unknowingly and ignored me. Thankfully, it was only some.

“Aigoo, Hyesu-ah. Please zip your bag before running like that,” Jung MinAh, a sunbae, said and started picking up the pieces of paper after she told all her friends to help me out. She’s always nice to her hoobaes, and she’s intelligent too. She could’ve made it to the Student Council, if Principal Lee Suman hadn’t chosen the members himself.

“Well, if someone didn’t rush me and start helping me, it would be great,” I shouted loud enough for JinAe to hear. She turned to me and her eyes widened. Why would she even be surprised? This happens all the time!

“Thank you, though, MinAh sunbae.” I grinned and she just nodded like a queen and accepted my thanks.

“JinAe is blinded by love. I completely understand her,” Sang Yojin, Minah sunbae’s friend, giggled and handed me the rest of my pens.

Every first Monday of the month, all of the students are expected to go in the auditorium to listen to some announcements. JinAe, my obsessed best friend, turns into an evil witch every this time of the month. She would abandon all family and friends (except me, though; she always drags me with her) and dreams and wishes just to take the very front seat. All females in the university would kill to take the first seat. Me in the past, to be frank, would do it too if I were such a very vigilant person who doesn’t trip on her own feet so often. I mean, who would not take the chance of seating on the first row to see those 12 hot beasts on stage, talking about their plans for the whole month? The present me.

I know they’re all hot and all but as a clumsy human being as I am I learned to grow over the delusion of thinking that sitting on the first row would change my life. It just started to get boring for me (I’d get killed because of telling this but it’s the truth!). They repeat every single thing over and over and over and over again. Yeah, we’re having different flavours of ramen for the whole week, hurrah. Wow, Kim Junmyeon scored the highest in the exam, congratulations. Huang Zi Tao won in the martial arts tournament again, congratulations to you too. We’ll be doing this today, tomorrow, the next week, blah blah blah, sooo interesting. The only great news that I heard since Day 1 was Wu Yi Fan, frequently called Kris, winning a sketching contest. I always have a great love for art (especially abstract) so I really paid attention. And for an out of this world dude like Kris, I was really amazed. He’s an inspiration to all.

But with an infatuated best friend like JinAe who states that Kim Jongin constantly makes her drop, I always appear to end up sitting on the very front, on the very center. What a life.

I messily put all the things that I dropped inside my bag and mentally promised myself to fix them all once I got the time. JinAe already reached us after I closed my bag.

“Took you long enough,” I said with a glare.

“I’m so sorry, Hyesu! I wasn’t aware of you dropping things...again.”

“Because you were running ahead of me!” I bellowed.

“Well, I –“

“Okay, girls, enough with the fighting. You’re going to miss the first row seats~” Yojin purred and I heard JinAe gasp.

I looked at MinAh sunbae and gave her an assuring smile and my thanks. I put my head down and groaned, expecting JinAe to grab a hold of my wrist and start dragging me to the auditorium. When we got there, the first row seats were all sat by other’s butts.

“I’m going to cry,” JinAe said out loud and sniffed. She says this all the time whether she’s sitting in front or not. She won’t really cry.

“There’s always next month?” I tried to assure her. I was the one now to take her wrist and find an empty spot on the seventh row. She’s clearly upset but that wouldn’t take that very long. She’s Kang JinAe, after all.

Muttering my excuse me’s, I tripped on one student’s foot and fell forward, recovering my balance with my arm slung over one of the seats on the front of me. JinAe was still standing, helping me to get up, when I heard the 12 boys walking up to the stage. Oh my god, stand up for heaven’s sake, Min Hyesu!

“Silence please,” Kim Jongdae’s voice flooded the auditorium. I was still struggling to get up. The space is too limited for me to move. The auditorium is designed like movie theatres and I’m so going to kill the dude who designed all this. A movie theatre replica? Seriously?

The students at the back were whispering for JinAe to get down since they can’t see the boys on stage. JinAe bowed down and aided me get on my feet one last time. The struggle has never been so real.

I peeked at one of the seats before me and saw EXO (they call themselves that, I don’t know why) whispering things to each other and shooting curious looks at us.

“Yah, Kang JinAe, get Hyesu up quickly or you’ll both get into trouble,” One of the girls at the back whispered loudly. One girl started helping me up and I started to become so ashamed of myself. Why haven’t I started doing exercise? Oh right, because treadmills and dumbbells are like death traps.

Once I was already on my knees, JinAe sat down quickly. I swiftly lifted myself up with such great effort.

“Is everything all right in there?” Byun Baekhyun asked.

“I’m fine! I’m perfectly fine!” My voice echoed the whole place as I landed safely on my on the fluffy cushion. I heard bass laughing everywhere and I just sighed deeply. I heard the girl right next to me whisper, “Nice going, Min Marmalade.”  I pursed my lips together and crossed my arms.

“Your public mishap just made Kai look at us,” JinAe beamed.

Our public mishap, actually,” I whispered back.

“Alright, since everything’s in order, please prepare yourselves for Korea’s National Anthem,” Do Kyungsoo announced.

“Just look how fine he looks,” JinAe marvelled with a sigh and I hushed her as we all sang the anthem. After this will be the boring part; and I’m not willing to listen.

They talked about stuff that I don’t really care about, and congratulated a student who won in another Math Quiz Bee that happened in another school. I yawned and looked around, seeing every pair of eyes looking at the boys on stage.

I leaned my back more to my seat and shrugged to feel more comfy. I was rather bored and utterly uninterested to the point that I find checking my own nails more entertaining. Maybe I should go the new nail art store just around the block when I have the time, since I can’t paint my own nails. (Clumsy Problem #1)

I turned my head to the sides and noticed how theatre-like this place really is. I’ve seen the slightest details that I’ve never paid attention to before. The walls look so much like the carpet in our house. The dimness of the lights made the atmosphere much more dramatic, and theatrical; the way they shine at the boys make them look like they’re some museum masterpieces that are too valuable they are labelled “Do not touch”. Wait, did they also change the curtains? Cool.

“Please listen to the speaker in front ~” My short examination was cut off by instinct that the warning was directed to me. I swiftly looked in front (which was a bad idea since it proved that I really wasn’t paying attention at all from the very start) and saw Baekhyun’s eyes on me.

I pointed to myself and mouthed, “Me?”

I didn’t get a reply or gesture at all so I thought it wasn’t meant for me after all.

“If that wasn’t Baekhyun, you’re definitely screwed,” JinAe whispered, her shoulder leaning to mine to make her words sound clearer.

I laughed. “That wasn’t me.”

“He looked at you.”

“Nope, he did not.”

She sighed deeply and rubbed her forehead. “I’ve been practicing the art of eye contact for years since elementary! I know what one person is looking at even from afar. He was totally giving you a warning.”

“JinAe, you’re being senseless.”

“Whatever,” she muttered. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw the corner of her lips lift to a smirk. “Is his stare so divine?” I narrowed my eyes at her. She leaned her shoulder closer, a sly grin on her face.

“Does it... make your drop?”

 “That’s the only announcement for now. I hope you all listened!”

Coincidentally, Baekhyun and Jinae spoke at the same time, and I was too late to stop my own reckless mouth from shouting.

“What are you saying?! Of course not!”

It was only the deafening silence that came afterward when I realized how loud my voice sounded. Suddenly shaken, I quickly slapped my o-shaped mouth with my palms and directed my sight to Baekhyun. JinAe’s doe eyes widened and dropped as well. The crowd was whispering, looking at either me or at the stage in front.

“Omo, Hyesu.” JinAe put her pointing finger against her lips with her eyes narrowed. “Lower down your voice!”

It was too late for that warning, sadly.

“Excuse me?” Baekhyun’s usual cheery expression changed into that of astonishment and a bit of disbelief.

I looked all around me and saw every pair of eyes shooting right at me. If those were bullets, I’m already most likely dead. Should I just curl up in a ball and disappear? I’m literally dying in embarrassment. I and my big loud mouth should just vanish out of thin air and out of existence. I am a living embarrassment. I mentally pulled my hair in frustration, down on my knees. I feel like OTL.

“That wasn’t for you at all!” I ensured, waving my right hand in front of me, also shaking my head vigorously. “It’s – I... I was wrong. I’m so sorry.”

I watched Baekhyun nod, a smile slowly appearing on his face. He gave me one thumb up. “Nah, that’s okay! Hey, everyone, the assembly ends now. Please go back to your classrooms.”

He breathed in a lot of air and exhaled through his nose. He clearly wasn’t pleased no matter how energetic and positive I always see him as. It would be much better if he scolded me here and now so I wouldn’t have to live the day feeling guilty over something like this.

“This has been the EXO Student Council,” Junmyeon, often called Suho, concluded and they all disappeared backstage. I finally let out the breath I forgot I was holding.

“This concludes the month’s assembly. Please go back to your respective classrooms quietly,” Principal Lee Suman announced clearly on the microphone, and all of us stood from our chairs. I let everyone from my row go first since if I walked with everyone else, I’m very positive I’d be tripping on somebody else’s foot. Again. JinAe always waits with me.

By the time the last person walked passed me, I stood up.

“Min Hyesu, please stay,” Principal Lee disrupted me.

“What?” My voice was loud enough to reach him.

“Meet me at my office,” He was still using the microphone. I scowled. Can’t he at least talk to me privately, without broadcasting our conversation to the public? Sure, most of the students have already left, but I could clearly see those girls by the door, giggling their butts off. These girls with skirts too short should be the ones demanded to go to the Principal’s Office, but nope, I’m the one who gets called to his office. And one more thing, on our 3rd month assembly when it went silent for just a moment, Nam In Ho’s phone suddenly rang. The song that filled the auditorium was none other than Rihanna’s Rude Boy. And guess what? He didn’t get called to the Principal’s Office at all.

“It’s not about what happened a while ago, is it?” I asked, already getting a bit scared.

“Principal Lee, I was also talking to Hyesu during the assembly. In fact, I was the one who started the conversation. I should come with her as well.” I wanted to hug JinAe. Her back was straight and she was looking intently at Principal Lee, waiting for an answer.

“I’m very aware of that, Kang JinAe. But it’s Hyesu who we should have a talk with. Go back to your class.”

“Not fair,” JinAe pouted and stomped her feet. She turned to me with an assuring smile and I only pushed her gently so that she won’t be late for class. I waved her my goodbye and waited for Principal Lee to leave first before I follow.

“Am I in big trouble?” I kindly asked.

“No, not at all. This isn’t because of misbehaviour.” Oh, thank God.

“I didn’t misbehave.”

“Stop lying to yourself, Hyesu. You know what you did.”

“Well, yeah, but –“

He cut me off when we reached his office. It’s alright cutting my sentence though; I don’t have anything to respond anyway.

He went inside first before I followed. Vice Principal Seo Juri was seating on the extra chair by his desk.

“Is this an interview about my life plans and goals?” I asked with hidden sarcasm.

Principal Lee laughed and just told me to sit on one empty chair. I did what was asked and waited patiently for what he has to say.

“Hyesu-ssi, let’s get this direct and straight to the point, shall we?” VP Seo inquired.

“Sure,” I’m not nervous at all since I’ve been here countless of times before. 

“We’re aware of a few things about you.” My silence was a sign for them to continue what they’re saying, but they remained quiet. What happened to direct and straight to the point? They’re surely not continuing if I won’t reply.

“Like what?” I rested my hands on my knees and swung my legs. “Like, I eat a lot?”

VP Seo gave off a hearty laugh. This isn’t even funny, why are they laughing?

“Not that.”

What, then?”

“You can get quite... careless with things.” Her eyebrows furrowed in pity. I tried to not make an obvious eye roll but to think that I’ve got this talk for the 8th time already isn’t working for me anymore. Add another forty plus to that eight would sum up how many times I’ve had this discussion in this lifetime. I’ve grown to get tired of it.

“I know.”

“Are you at least trying to change?” Trying? Certainly. Did I change? Nope.

“Give me a star because I’ve tried harder than most clumsy people do to change. It just doesn’t work for me,” I honestly stated.

“That’s the problem. You need help Hyesu-ssi.” VP Seo was clearly worried, but what the heck is Principal Lee doing? He’s reading a friggin’ newspaper?!

“If you’re promoting one doctor to me again, I won’t accept this.” They have done this before. And we did not just waste my parents’ money, nothing really improved. “Look, I looked it up in the Internet a million times. Clumsiness, inelegance, maladroit, whatever you call it, has no cure.”

They’re making it seem like I have a mental disease or something. They could have me check up by a doctor today and find out that I am completely and undoubtedly normal.

“See, this is the reason why you’re here. We found a psychologist, perfect just for you!” she cheered.

“She graduated here a few years ago and decided to work here. And it’s for free! What do you say?”

I chewed the inside of my cheek, pretending to think hard though I’ve already have my answer set. I don’t think they need to persuade me any longer.

“For free? I’m definitely in.”

~*~

“A psychologist? Aren’t they for, like, troubled people?”

“Yeah, they’re really concerned for my well-being,” Wait. Now that I’ve mentioned it, maybe they were really worried because they think I might be able to accidentally kill someone with my carelessness. That’s just so insulting even though I’m the one who thought about it. “They said something about eye-hand coordination that I need to improve. I sound like I have spinal problems or something.”

“At least you get sessions for free. Does this mean you won’t be coming home with me after school anymore?” She pouted and purposefully widened her eyes at me, mimicking puppy dog eyes. I pushed her cheek, mocking a disgusted look.

“We’re not so sure about the schedule. And of course it won’t be for five times a week!”

JinAe was walking all elegantly (and me just walking, well, normally) before she stopped abruptly from her tracks and pinched my arm. Here she goes again.

“Kai is coming this way.” She whispered in excitement. “Hey, don’t look too obviously, but do I look good?”

I pretended looking at the tall windows and checked JinAe’s face and hair. I nodded once.

“You’re all set.”

“How should I act when we walk pass them?!” she was already combing her hair with her fingers. She’s close to fainting, I see.

“Act normal.”

I cleared my throat and tried to walk as gracefully as I can as we walked pass Jongin, Chanyeol, Baekhyun and Suho. By the time we pass by each other, I was already able to breathe properly. Something sometimes tells me that I shouldn’t breathe the same air as them.

“Oh, isn’t that Min Hyesu?” I heard one of them say from afar. Oh dear.

“Continue walking, JinAe.” I said through gritted teeth.

“Min Hyesu-ssi!” It took me a couple of seconds before I turn my head with a smile plastered across my face. They’ll surely scold me in front of all these students walking by for not listening at them a while ago, and also an addition for unintentionally shouting during Baekhyun’s part of speech.

“Did you get into trouble? I heard Principal Suman.” Suho asked, and I shook my head meekly.

“We talked about other things.” I answered, courteously.

“And there I thought you shouted at me. I was like,” Baekhyun slapped his chest and gasped like he was in ultimate shock. He looked like someone who got a heart attack, if you ask me. The three boys laughed at him and I tried to smile naturally but I’m afraid I smiled too indifferently.

The always loud JinAe has gone mute. I elbowed her discreetly and pushed her with my shoulder. You don’t get too close to boys like Kim Jongin in these places. This is like the perfect chance.

“Say something.” I whispered.

“Uh... K-Kai –“ I bumped my hip at her. Kai is our codename for him and once this is exposed, we’re both screwed.

“Oh, hey, a kite!” I looked at the window and imitated a tourist who just saw the Eiffel Tower for the first time.

 “Jongin-ssi,” I heard JinAe start. “H-hello?”

I put on a proud smile and prepared myself to slip away from the small crowd and leave. Until Byun Baekhyun suddenly decided to open his mouth.

“There wasn’t a kite –“

As a young woman who my advisers perceive me as someone with very dull eye-hand coordination, I reacted rather too quickly when I was supposed to hush Baekhyun. In the end, I hit my whole palm against his forehead. Hard, actually.

“I saw a fly.” Nice save, Hyesu. Nice save. I am extremely, incredibly, awfully, dreadfully proud of you. Good job.

{Mister Talkative’s POV}

I’ve heard enough about Min Hyesu to know that getting even a ruler’s length close to her would mean fatality. I’ve never been that close to her (not that I want to be) so how would I know right?

It’s not until this morning assembly that I’ve got at least a few knowledge about her. She’s a total klutz who trips on somebody else’s foot and cannot even lift herself up. She easily gets distracted or bored or I don’t know; I guess we aren’t that attractive or interesting enough? And when she focuses on one thing, everything else will just be nought to her world. Thus, she, by chance, shouting in reply at her friend (I first thought it was me. Good we cleared that up quickly or I’ll really feel terrible). Right then and there, I’ve had this teeny feeling that that wouldn’t be my only dealing with her.

And now that she by chance has hit my forehead with such strength exerted by her palm alone, I fear that I cannot distance myself from her any longer. It turned out my prophecy was right.

 


 

A/N: ayeeeee everyoneee! hi hehe ^u^ how's the first chaper? i worked hard for this lmao anwayyyy it's baekhyun's birthdayyyyy hdsafbasdkjfvberkjhjhgjyfhdkvjf happy birthday baek omg dalaga ka na! how're you going to celebrate the byun's bday btw? :3 

dont forget to comment or subscribe or both woo