004

When We Merge

Tonight, you told yourself, everything would be solved tonight.

Tonight, he'll get the confirmation he wants and needs.

Tonight, the two of you would finally have an unexpected closure.

Tonight, it determines your fate of having to be spit in the face with vulgarities every, single day in the future.

You hung your head low and blushed silently while Luhan tugged at your hand, again, as the two of you ran through the late evening streets. Both of you were panting, but none of you bothered to protest. You were dizzy with anticipation, and what you wanted was to kiss him, to touch him, to feel him —

"You told me to kiss you."

Your eyes flew open when you felt a shadow looming over you. Luhan's chest was only a few inches away from yours, and you felt his breaths coming off as short gasps. Because Luhan was a tad taller than you, he was practically towering above your small and petite frame. Before your mind could register how close the two of you were, Luhan had placed one hand on the wall above your head and the other on your waist. You quivered under his warm touch, and you felt your hips rocking slightly due to the contact, your back arching and your face tilting upwards. Luhan blinked slowly before he lowered his face, and you did a sharp intake of breath, trying your best on holding it in.

Your mind was whirling with different kinds of thoughts. Were you ready? Was he ready?

But everything was answered when you felt something soft yet dry press down against your lips. The sweetness of his lips was intoxicating; the way he applied the right amount of pressure made you feel utter bliss. His tongue slides across your upper lip, and the fresh wetness on your mouth made you gasp, your hand instinctively holding on to his shoulder. Luhan smirked between his kisses, before sliding his hand off your waist to grab your hand, removing it from his shoulder. However, instead of letting your hand fall back to your side, he placed your hand around his own neck, before his hand found his way to your waist again. You jerked a little and squeezed the collar of his shirt, the fabric rolled up in your grasp.

Bambi is kissing you.

You are kissing him back.

You pressed your body against his, liking the warmth his body emitted on a cold night, like today. Luhan pressed even closer, reducing the spaces between you and him to a minimum. Your other hand went to cup his face, and everything was perfectly fine, being hot and stuffy and all —

Until you felt that something was wrong. Really wrong.

Your eyes flew open and you immediately pushed him away, both of your lips red and puffy.

"Woman, why did you —"

"YOU HAD YOUR HAND UP MY SHIRT."

You pointed your finger at him accusingly. Luhan remained quiet, his face revealing nothing, but it was evident that he was indeed, guilty.

He blinked, before muttering something under his breath which you managed to make it out as "you Pororo trucker". It was offending, but you decided to keep your mouth shut, since your heart wasn't even ready and your brain wasn't even processing what had just happened.

Bambi kissed you. He kissed you and he had your hand up your shirt.

You unconsciously blushed and ducked your head, your thighs pressed tightly together. Your palms were slightly sweaty, and you noticed that it was because of someone standing less than a few inches away from you —

Wait, since when was he a few inches away from you again?

You felt something press against your shoulder, and two hands s around your waist. You grinned goofily, surprised yet feeling warm about Luhan hugging you and propping his head on your shoulder. You felt a sudden urge to place your hand on his back and the other on his bangs. Even his hair had a lemonade scent —

"So what does this mean?" He asked quietly.

"What does what mean?"

A short moment of silence. You closed your eyes, thinking that he was just stating a rhetorical question, and so you let your hands stay at where they were.

"You know, a-all the things we were doing just a moment ago...?"

"What? Oh you mean — WAIT A MINUTE. You're shy?"

Luhan flinched when he heard your loud voice, and immediately jerked his head off your shoulder, but your grasp was so strong that he ended up getting pressed against the crook of your neck and your hand.

", I'm stuck!"

Wincing, you let go of your hand, half-expecting him to tear his head away, leaving you feeling disappointed. But he didn't. His head remained where it was, buried in your neck and sniffing in the scent of your hair.

"So back to the question. You're shy, aren't you?"

"... No I'm not."

"Yes you are."

"No I'm not!"

"Yes you are! Admit it Bambi."

"No, really! I'm not shy!"

You giggled as he pressed in even closer, probably to hide the blush that was starting to form on his cheeks. You felt him breathe, his chest falling and rising in a steady rhythm. He was so warm, and you enjoyed the comfortable silence surrounding the both of you while remaining in that position in the dark alley. Talking about how dark it was, was it night already?

Luhan shifted a little when he felt you move, and his hands immediately slipped off your body.

"Are you cold?"

"Shush."

"You sure? It's dark now, let's get you back home."

"Hush Bambi!"

Your ears twitched a little as you heard footsteps resonating in the air, and you immediately placed a finger to Luhan's lips to shush him. Luhan stayed still and widened his eyes, his irises frantically darting around.

"What's wrong, beautiful?" Luhan barely whispered as you felt him squirming against your body.

There was a slight quiver in his voice, and he looked down, a breath escaping from his lips. You tentatively wrapped an arm around him, and in reply, he pulled you in even closer.

"Listen Bambi, do you hear," you paused and gulped. "Footsteps?"

"Footsteps?"

You nodded and unconsciously started to squat, trying to curl yourself into a ball which was practically impossible with a deer's weight on you. Suddenly, you jumped.

"There! Did you hear that?"

"I don't hear anything, baby."

"How in the world? There! You heard it."

"No I didn't. Goodness, are you hallucinating? Do you need a CPR? Or are you doing this just because you want me to kiss you again? If that's the case, then you really don't have to do this, you know that I'll willingly —"

" off Luhan."

"So you do mean that? Bend over, I'll pounce on you right now —"

"Luhan!"

"Come baby, your fingers are absolutely beautiful."

"Luhan, you jerk!"

"Baby, don't be shy —"

"BOSS, SOMEONE'S HERE. ATTACK THEM!"

"Oops."

Luhan's eyes widened in horror as he unclasped your hand. You saw shadows casted on the wall that was right ahead of you, and within seconds you heard about a hundred footsteps that were running towards your way. You immediately grabbed Luhan's hand, trying to ignore the fact that his hand slipped into yours so easily, like, it was meant to be fitted in that way. But really, now was definitely not the time to start enjoying the bliss you were experiencing, because it was pure terror.

You felt Luhan gasp as you started running, leading him along as the both of you escaped from the alley and right onto the streets. Ignoring the furious and intense shouts behind you, you dragged Luhan and tore through the empty footpaths. The dim yellow lights that were emitted from the street lamps gave the both of you goosebumps. You didn't dare to look back; were they zombies that hadn't been eating for twenty days? Or, a bunch of headless widows with hair as black as the depth of the night sea covering their eyes? Or, what if, they didn't have eyes?

You violently shook your head in an attempt to shake off those gruesome and bloodied thoughts, and decided to concentrate on running instead. You heard Luhan panting behind you, and you managed to shout.

"Luhan! Can you turn around? And take a look at who they are?"

"I don't dare to turn around!"

"LUHAN!"

You wanted to smash your head against the wall. A grown man, wailing and whining as if he didn't have any guts. Well, yeah, he didn't have any guts in the first place, so who is to blame?

"I BEG OF YOU. TURN. AROUND."

"BABYYYYY!"

"OKAY LUHAN, I'LL OWE YOU AN AWESOME MEAL IF YOU TURN AROUND AND TELL ME WHO THE IS CHASING US FOR NO APPARENT REASON!"

"I WANT MORE THAN A MEAL."

"HOLY FREAKS, FINE! TEN MEALS!"

"NOT ONLY MEALS!"

"OH FOR THE SAKE OF GOD. FINE, I'LL SMOTHER YOU WITH KISSES EVERY SINGLE DAY! NOW GET YOUR ING GUTS UP AND TURN AROUND!"

"Okay."

You felt Luhan's hand jerk a little when he turned his head, and for a moment you took in a sharp breath, afraid of the horrible answer he was going to say. Like, people with heads of sharks and bodies of mythological creatures or something.

"Uh, baby?"

"W-what is it?"

You stammered a little but continued running, not letting go of Luhan's hand.

"There're only three people chasing us, and —"

"SO IT MEANS WE OUGHT TO CONTINUE RUNNING —"

"No baby, wait! They don't look very scary..."

"DESCRIBE THEM."

"Well, all three of them have black and green tattoos on their arms. Oh and, they kind of have large piercings on their ear lobes."

"MORE DESCRIPTION."

"Okay uh, they seem heavy. Like, huge sized people. Oh and they're wearing either plain shirts or black singlets with knives in their hands –"

"SO WE SHOULD TOTALLY STOP RUNNING, HELL YEAH?"

"... Maybe we should run faster."

— — —

The cafeteria was surprisingly quiet today.

It was abnormal that a university of the Arts would be this silent and empty, but you couldn't say that you weren't pleased. Usually you would've covered your ears while studying and munching the snacks you brought in silence in a corner, but today, you could blast music right into your ears without hearing any annoying shuffling in the background. It would be heaven.

You weren't a very outgoing person; unlike those girls that go around wearing flashy tops and short skirts that only covered up to the top of their thighs, going around in large cliques and jumping at every opportunity to gossip about their boyfriends and nemesis. There was a movie screening in the large auditorium, A Touch of Art, and all the girls were swooning over the antagonist, George Slane. God, even boys were excited over the play; just how gay were they? But at least everyone's gone for a while now, thus explaining how quiet the cafeteria was.

You slumped back further in your seat, one hand under the table and the other grasping onto a spoon, stirring your coffee dreamily.

"Get out of my seat."

You weren't listening; you stayed in your seat, your eyes closed as you exhaled slowly, the dreamy classical music resonating right into your eardrums and gradually flowing into your heart and soul. You opened your eyes and lifted your head, wanting to give that person a piece of your mind for disturbing your humming session when you gasped and almost dropped out of your chair.

"I said, get out of my seat."

You blinked up at the stranger before you; you couldn't see his face as he was wearing a black cap which covered his eyes, but his voice had a sharp edge to it and it sounded a little hoarse. You felt a loss for words as he stepped forward and pulled out the chair you once occupied, making you stumble backwards. Scoffing, you grabbed your books and iPod off the table before walking away, thinking about how cocky and rude he was. Couldn't he just find another table?

Angered by your thoughts, you turned around, wanting to send a kick in his direction just to get your little revenge, but unfortunately, the both of you locked eyes. He had removed his cap, and his dark orbs were eating its way through your heart. You mentally slapped yourself as you slowly lowered your foot which was dangling in midair, embarrassed that he'd found out about your intentions. You bowed sheepishly and awkwardly raised up a hand in apology; however, his face showed no expression, only a small frown was seen knitted on his brows. Before you could scurry away, you heard him let out a small sigh and a give little shake of his head as he ruffled his blonde hair. You went off to find another comfortable spot, and you heard a low mumble escape the guy's lips that you could vaguely make out before he was completely out of earshot.

"I guess what Luhan said was true." 

— — —

"Admit it. What exactly did the both of you want?"

You frantically shook your head, tears b your eyes as you felt Luhan leaning on your back, unconscious after getting whacked on the head for fighting back with these armed men just to protect you.

"We wanted nothing!" You cried out angrily as you choked on your first sob.

"You little —"

One of the tattooed men stepped forward angrily, but the other one immediately placed a rough grip on his shoulder, stopping him from hitting you. You shut your eyes, your fear ready to swallow you up.

"Hey, be easy on them. Maybe they really didn't understand what was going on, buddy."

"They don't have a clue? Yeah right. Does my face look like I give a damn? I'm killing them tonight, I tell you. What if they told the police about what we're doing just now? It'd be the end for us —"

"You just realised that you openly admitted that we were doing illegal things right?"

"!"

"Very clever of you. Very clever. Absolutely clever."

"Shut up!"

You groaned at their bickering, beads of sweat starting to trickle down from your forehead to your chin, gathering at the nape of your neck. Panting heavily, you felt a little nudge on your elbow coming from behind.

You instantly whipped your head around and heard Luhan gasping for air, the side of his face slightly pale.

"Luhan," you whispered softly, urgency etched in your voice. "Luhan."

He heard you calling out for him and you felt a light tug in response on the rope cuffed on your wrists which bound the both of you together, back-to-back.

"B-baby," he breathed out slowly. "Where are we?"

"Oh look, the guy's awake."

You gave a good, hard glare at the same man who was about to hit you just now, and he smirked, suddenly stepping forward and squatting down to face you.

"You don't seem that y though. You do have a nice face..." He paused and his eyes roamed down your body. "And figure." He placed a hand under your chin and forced you to look at him square in the eyes.

"L-leave her alone," you felt Luhan's back grow warm with every word he said.

"Bastard, you can't even protect your girlfriend. Hell, you can't even say a proper sentence!"

Luhan was getting really angry now; you didn't need to see his face to know it, you felt it.

"I said, leave her alone. Come for me instead, loser. You don't bully a girl just like that. That's low."

You knew Luhan meant what he said; his voice was really serious this time round. And definitely less shaky. 

"Oh yeah? You'll see what I can do..."

He rushed to Luhan's side and gave a hard kick to his abdomen, making Luhan hiss in pain as he bent over.

"Luhan!" You screamed as you saw the man give another kick; the side of Luhan's face was now completely white, and it scared you to death. You weren't ready to lose him just like that, you couldn't and you won't. "Stop! Just stop!"

"Then admit it, lady. What were the both of you doing in that alley then? Following us? Spying on us?"

"Who the wants to spy on you? We were just in there, not knowing what's going on until you all started chasing us!"

"Don't you dare use vulgar on us, little . Only we can do that —"

"Hold in your temper, buddy, how many times must I say that? Now back to the topic, if you didn't spy on us, what were the both of you doing in the alley anyway? Answer me!"

"Who the hell wants to know?" You lowered your head as you still felt heady from all the sinful things you and Luhan did earlier.

"Well, we want to and need to know. Who knows if you would turn us in to the police —"

"Making out."

"I-I'm sorry, what?"

The men widened their eyes as they spluttered over their words. You shot them a death glare and would've almost ran up to them and kick their shins if you weren't tied up by the hands along with Luhan.

"We were making out, you s! H-how many times do you want me to say that?"

The men standing before you exchanged wary glances with one another, before one of them voiced out, "If they really have no clue of what we're doing, I suggest we let them off."

"Let them off? Are you kidding me? Who knows if these two little es here are pretending —"

"YOU DO NOT CALL MY BOYFRIEND A JUST BECAUSE HE LOOKS LIKE A FEMALE."

"Damn, stop screaming, young lady. Anyway, we should not let them off! I mean, we might as well jump off the cliff if they report us to the police."

"Do you have a brain? They have been denying every accusations we point at them! I'm bloody sure they don't know anything. Just let them off, would you? Besides, they need to have evidence before they can turn us in."

"Well yeah, but we don't know how sly these two es can be —"

"I SAID, YOU DO NOT CALL MY BOYFRIEND A JUST BECAUSE HE LOOKS LIKE A FEMALE!"

"Keep it down, would you? So as I was saying, they could be as sly as heck and they might've recorded everything down as video footage. ! They might have even bought a voice recorder!"

"Calm your , buddy. You make no sense. I mean come on, who the hell would've prepared so many things when they're gonna do a bunch of dirty things later?"

Your face grew even redder from embarrassment; don't they ever consider what they say as inappropriate? Suddenly, you felt Luhan slurring behind you, and so you paid more attention to your boyfriend instead.

"Luhan! Hey, you okay?"

"My stomach... It hurts."

"Hang on a little more. They'll be releasing us soon, I hope."

But you got silence as a response and a heavier weight pressing down on the back of your neck, which you suspect as his head. You frantically nudged Luhan, praying that he hadn't gone unconscious for the second time.

"Luhan. Luhan! Bambi, wake up! HEY, COULD SOMEONE RELEASE US ALREADY?"

"What's wrong, lady?"

"AS YOU CAN SEE, MY BOYFRIEND OVER HERE HAS FAINTED AGAIN AND HE NEEDS TREATMENT IMMEDIATELY."

"So what do you want us to do, ? We can't make decisions by ourselves, we need to get approval from the others before we can release the both of you."

"What do you want before you can release us? Please, I beg of you. We really didn't know what was happening!"

"Alright then," the men immediately stepped forward and cut off the ropes that bind you and Luhan together. "However, in return, you have to tell us where you live."

"Wait, what?"

"You heard it right, missy. Your damn address. It's the standard procedure; we release you, you tell us where you live. There, it's pretty fair if you ask me."

You shifted uncomfortably as you slowly stood up, your arm holding on to Luhan's weak frame.

"What will you do with my address?"

"In case you turn us in to the police, which I believe you won't," one of the man hastily added when you were about to aim a kick at his thigh. "That way, you won't dare to expose us when we have your house and your family's fate in our hands."

"Y-you won't bother us if we don't bother you, right?"

"Of course missy, we keep our promises if you keep yours.

Stepping forward, you wrote down the address of your house on the yellowish sheet of paper they provided, and glanced up warily at them once more.

"Don't come finding me or my family. I know nothing about your whatever illegal doings, and I have much better things to do than reporting you to the police and getting bombarded with a bunch of useless questions they might ask. So don't disturb me and come knocking on my door. You promised."

The men smirked before the other spoke up, "Only time will tell if you meant what you said. Oh, and don't bother shifting houses; we will track you down no matter what. And when that happens, we can't guarantee if we can still keep our promise."

"I hope this will be the last time we'll meet."

With that, you hugged Luhan close to your chest, one arm around his head and the other around his waist. You ran out the metal door and right into the alley, panting in fear as you did so. It was already dark by then, probably around midnight, the moon shining it's light on the both of you.

"Luhan. Luhan! Don't worry, everything's fine now, just hang on a little more, please."

And then you felt blood on your hands.

— — —

Wait, Luhan?

"Excuse me?"

The stranger turned his head to stare at you, his face cocked to the side.

"What," he replied in a flat tone, obviously not amused and did not want to entertain you.

Your heart seemed to stop; everything was spinning. Suddenly you felt a heavy weight on you, ready to bring you down. And here you thought you'll be able to forget, but hearing his name made you unconsciously blush. You couldn't help it, it was like he was there, saved for a reserved spot in your heart.

"I heard his name. Y-you said Luhan, didn't you? Do you know him?"

The man blinked before his mouth was set into a thin line.

"Why do you want to know? It's none of your business based on what you've done to him."

"W-what have I done?"

"You left him all alone, fighting for himself."

"I did not —"

"You bloody well know what you did back then. Luhan was there, being sad and depressed. He keeps telling me about you, how much he'd loved you, how much you'd loved him back. But from what I see, it was a one-sided thing from the start."

"Me? Me? What have I done exactly? Luhan... He just disappeared! H-how was I supposed to find him then? He didn't contact me, he didn't bother holding me back, he didn't trust me... , he didn't even give a chance to let us work things out!"

You lost all control then, and you were thankful that your surroundings were empty. You looked up towards the ceiling, controlling your tears from falling down your face. You certainly didn't want to cry in front of a stranger who seemed to be somehow connected with Luhan.

"What makes you think I can trust you? I've seen how upset Luhan was after you left your behind." He stood up from his chair and made his way towards you.

"I don't care if you don't give a about what I said! I did not give up on him; he was the one who walked away. D-didn't he tell you that? I mean, you two seem close —"

"You wouldn't say that if you've seen how pathetic Luhan looks right now!"

You eyes rounded and you opened your mouth, an almost inaudible question escaping your lips. "What?"

"If you've seen his state, you wouldn't have given up chasing him and trying to pull him back to your side! If you've loved him, you wouldn't have just cried and live on your life! He loved you, and here you are in ing heaven while he's in a hellish state! Have you any guilt?"

His last sentence penetrated it's way right into your heart. You stumbled back until your back hits the wall, your breath coming out in short gasps before you let out a cry.

"I want to see him, I... I really want to see him. It wasn't my fault, it really wasn't..."

The stranger glared long at hard at you, before he turned around to grab his things off the table. Right before he left, you decided to ask him something that has been bugging you.

"Who are you? What are you?"

He stopped in his tracks, and you saw his shoulders tense for a moment there.

"You don't need to know."

And then he walked off, leaving you drowning in your deepest regrets and sorrows.