The Epilogue

Witch and Wolves

ONE YEAR LATER

The sun was a bright ball of glowing embers, smothering the horizon of sloping roofs and tall spires. Dusk crept in with its watery eeriness, elongating shadows with its touch, tinting everything into a bright, burning orange that hurt Minseok’s eyes. Wind whipped at his face, brushing away his hair, his sweat. He tilted his face up and set his hammer down, the day’s labour settling heavy over his shoulders. The world was clear up here, with him straddling the beam and the ground a little bit out of his reach.

He leaned back against his palms, watching as red rent the sky like a freshly cut wound, before it was dulled into a brilliant, almost unattainable violet. He liked watching the sunset; it reminded him of the end of the day and the start of the new one. It got him a little further from the bitter past, from the aching memories.

Further, but never far enough, he thought woefully, swinging his legs and heaving a deep sigh. Memories were tougher than he thought them to be. A year had passed and he still saw the light leaving his stepmother’s eyes.

“Oi! Are you alright up there?”

Minseok tilted his head downwards, towards the cherubic face staring up at him, shirt crumpled and light flecking colours into his dark eyes. “You better not fall, cause I’m sure I’d break a bone trying to catch you.”

Minseok let the memories skitter away for a second to flash a grin at him. “I hope you can catch my boot when it lands on your forehead.”

Luhan scowled and crossed his arms. “It’s late. It’s time to get back home.”

“Just one more beam,” Minseok negotiated, holding up the hammer.

Luhan scoffed. “You’ve been working on that roof since yesterday and I cannot for the life of me see any sort of progress.”

“Be careful, or you won’t be catching a boot but a hammer,” Minseok warned, raising it threateningly over his head.

Luhan flinched instinctively, smiled, and let his expression turn serious. “Why won’t you let me help you?”

“Because a man needs to make sure than no one is to tamper with the strength of his shelter.”

 “Judging by the hard time you’re having just putting on the roof, I’d like to say that if this house is to fall in shambles, it’ll be on your head.”

“Haha,” Minseok remarked wryly. “Very funny.”

“Really, Minseok,” Luhan said, back to pleading. “I can help you.”

“No thanks, Han.” Minseok tapped the beam with his hammer. “I can manage it. It gives me something to do.”

“I can sure you can do something else–”

Minseok laughed mirthlessly. “Like what? I’m only good for hunting, and seeing as we’re surrounded by brick and walls with not a forest in sight, there’s not much I can do.”

With no light falling upon the curves, Luhan’s face looked dark. “You were the one who suggested the relocation.”

Minseok stopped toiling and smiled apologetically at Luhan. “And I don’t regret it. Sorry if I sound like I’m whining.”

“You know, we could have gone for somewhere with trees –”

Minseok was already shaking his head. “Too much bitter memories. Too much fuss. Jongin and Kyungsoo won’t be able to take it.”

“Jongin and Kyungsoo or you?”

Minseok’s hand paused in the midst of hammering a nail, his eyes burning into the beam below him. Finally he shook his head and the hammering became more insistent. “I can’t live in that village anymore. Everyone hates me. My stepmother’s death will be over my head.”

“But you got back Jongin.”

Minseok shook his head. “How many times do we have to have this argument? They didn’t believe me then, what makes you think that they’re going to believe me now? Worse, they’d think it’s a trick, that I’d hired a fraud to take the place of my brother.”

Luhan was silent. He looked like he was struggling to find the words to counter Minseok’s argument.

“And besides,” Minseok said softly. “I like it here. Once I’ve finished all construction, you and Kyungsoo won’t have to live in such a cramped space anymore.”

“My house is large enough to accommodate you.”

Minseok swung his leg and rested an arm over his thigh. “We live in a shed, Luhan.”

Luhan sniffed indignantly. “Excuse me, but that’s offensive. That used to be my aunt’s house before she left it to me.”

Minseok smiled. “I just think four makes a tight squeeze. Jongin and I will be fine here.”

“I’ll still have some space ready –for when the roof crashes over your heads.”

“Have some confidence in me, Luhan.” Minseok was getting exasperated.

“Alright, alright. I won’t say anything more.” Luhan held up his hands, as though to placate him. “But I still think that beam’s a little crooked.

Minseok sighed. He was beyond arguing with Luhan at this point. “Where’re Jongin and Kyungsoo?”

Luhan snorted. “In town, tripping over each to win the heart of the baker’s daughter.”

Minseok couldn’t help the slight smile on his lips. “Who’s winning?”

“The boy who lives down the street.”

Minseok chuckled. “Leave them be. Let them know that love isn’t as easy as it looks.”

“Ironic, coming from someone who’s never been in love.”

“You can vouch the claim. How’s your luck with the town chief’s daughter?”

Luhan flushed a bright red. “So are you coming home or not?” he snapped, changing the subject.

“I will, Luhan,” Minseok said, flicking a bit of sawdust at him. “In due time.”

He could afford the short delay. After all, night no lurked old witches in candy cottages and snarling wolves with human eyes. His rifle was safely stored in its case, no longer retrieved as often as before, almost withering into a memory. There were no forests to lure in children, no trees to claw them in to keep them from getting out.

All was well in the city, where the moon shone over shingle roofs and grey bricks –a colossal jungle of the modern era, where blocks replaced trees and heavy horse’s hoofs pummelled grass shoots before they could peek up the earth.

They were safe, and Minseok could feel the old fears waning away with the diminishing light of the sun.