Day 1

Winter Horrorland

Day 1

===========================================

I bit my lip to stop it from quivering but it only vibrated against my teeth. All around me, my classmates were whining from the lack of heat and a decent thing to do. Glancing from side to side, I quickly got up and strode over to the teacher. She looked dead.

“Um, Miss Choi?” I tapped her shoulder. No response. “Miss Choi?” I said a little louder.

 She slowly nodded her head. I took it as a ‘go-ahead’.

“How long do we have to stay here for?”

She didn’t reply. Instead, she went back to her frozen slumber. Sighing, I returned to my position under the mats. Might as well sleep.

“Yo, heads up!” A deep voice bellowed across the gym. Everyone shot they’re eyes towards the flying ball of blurred red heading towards a kid in the far right corner. He was too immersed in his book to notice what was to come. The football landed safely—right on the bridge of his nose. Howling in pain, he grabbed his gushing nose and ran to the nearest restroom.

I felt sorry for him. Being a geek doesn’t exactly help the whole bullying thing. I also felt sorry for the poor idiot who threw the ball. Being on the football team meant no brains. His mind was basically a tiny pointed ball with stitches.

 Frowning I identified the jock as Choi Seunghyun, a.k.a. TOP. I’m not exactly sure where that nickname came from, but I have heard the rumors. There was the cleaner one (which people said he used for teachers) and then there was the sly and dirty one (which people said he used to get girls and high-fives from fellow doofs.)

Clean version: TOP likes being at the top of his class with good grades and everything. The teachers believe him because he has that first impression of a goody-two-shoes. Even if he never bothers with work.

Dirty version: He simply likes being on top.

Shuddering, I turned my attention to another corner. A group of (handsome) male teachers were huddled close together, whispering harshly with stony expressions. Hm, next.

Turning my body slightly, I watched a bunch of bimbo cheerleaders attempt to form a pyramid. They all fell on their butts due to a weak foundation. No one rushed to their side since it was nothing unusual. It happens in all the games anyways. I rolled my eyes and turned my attention elsewhere.

“Why are the teachers making us stay here?”

“Are we in trouble?”

“Oh my God, it’s so cold!”

I was beginning to worry too. What did we do wrong? Why only us?

School ended and winter break started approximately 62 minutes ago, according to the old clock hanging above the doorway. Yes, the doorway. Now, one would wonder: if we were so freezing and bored, why not just walk on out? But there were two teachers guarding the door. Ms. Kwon and Ms. Choi. They were usually pretty cool teachers but today, they had stern expressions. I decided it better than to ask questions.

The gym was overcrowded with rowdy students. Every little clique blurred in with the next. They were chattering away with each other while I sat alone. My legs were starting to grow numb from folding them too long but it was the only way for me to fit into my small hiding place.

The teachers said they had something important to announce and made us all gather around. It was uncomfortable with everyone basically sitting on top of each other or in someone’s face. Fortunately, I got a front row seat. Unfortunately, when I was pushed forward, there weren’t any walls of muscled backs for my face to fall into; only a cold, hard floor. One teacher showed a little sympathy for me.

“Are you okay?” Ms. Boa Kwon asked, helping me up. I nodded.

The next teacher who spoke was Mr. Shim. But nobody heard his small voice.

“Everybody just shut the hell up!” Mr. Jung bellowed.

“Thanks Yunho,” Mr. Shim mumbled. Of course I had heard from my close spot.

“We are sorry for making you all stay here in this cold gym for so long, but we’re in a kind of dilemma,” he began hesitantly. Silence. No one had understood what dilemma meant. But heck, when you’re in a school of rejects, who even cares?

“There has been a heavy amount of snow in the past two hours,” Mr. Shim Changmin continued. Still silence. You idiots, we’re snowed in! I realized all too late.

“So the assembly was just some kind of death trap?!” Another student who had enough sense blurted accusingly. There were murmurs upon the crowd as everyone asked their neighbor what was going on.

“No, no. We didn’t plan for this to happen. And nobody is going to die,” Mr. Bi said, raising his hands up for silence. But the crowd had lost all control now. There were kids screaming, others crying, and some just screaming and crying. But I stood there blankly. Meh, I always knew school would kill me one of these days, I thought with a slight frown.

“Joonhee-ah, are you okay?” Ms. Kwon approached me. I nodded my head. She gave me a small reassuring smile before striding off to comfort another student. All around, people were running around like maniacs while I stood in the very middle of gym. Then I spotted something peculiar. Another doofus kid, Mir, had grabbed a chair and put it only a mere two feet away from me. I remained silent, watching him attempt to jump on. He fell back on his a couple of times but he finally got it. He didn’t notice me silently watching him.

“Haha! It is I, the undefeatable Mir—“ He fell face first as another guy, Key, pulled his shirt down. Key then jumped onto the chair. Half of the students had paused, watching what he’d do next and the other half was still stupid.

“I have defeated this lowly peasant! It is I, the almighty Key, that shall reign over this death trap!” He proclaimed. Then someone else caught on.

“No, evil fiend, TOP will always be the king of the—“ Choi Seunghyun was shoved off and now everyone was fighting for the chair. The teachers shook their heads, their faces buried in their palms. The girls were pulling each other’s hair and mini catfights were breaking out everywhere. I smirked. This is too amusing, I thought to myself.

Everybody get away from the damn chair and SIT DOWN!” A huge voice bellowed. Then we realized it was a loudspeaker that Mr. Kim was using. Who knew he had that power within. The students scrambled towards the bleachers and plopped their butts down. I didn’t move.

Park Joonhee, are you deaf? Did you hear what I said?” He said, half mocking me. Reluctantly, I dragged my feet towards an empty seat. He smiled victoriously.

“Thank you,” Ms. Choi said. She had gotten a hold of the chair and stood on it, much to the dismay of many students.

“Damn, she’d make a pretty hot queen for our kingdom, though,” Lee Jinki, aka Tofu , whistled lowly.

“Shut up, Jinki,” Mr. Xiah threatened. And he did shut up. Because everyone knows Xiah Junsu is a total fool for Choi Gina. And everyone knows not to mess with a man in love.

The teachers explained our ‘predicament’ very carefully, not that anyone listened to the half of it. But I caught on pretty quickly, no matter how slowly they talked with big words.

Apparently, during our prom meeting that we were forced to come to (because we’re the worst students among the school), the snow had fallen heavier and surrounded the entire A building, which was connected to the gym. So we were allowed to roam the A building halls (not that anyone would like to stumble upon the math classroom and be trapped inside with nothing to do but math).

We had enough supplies for two weeks, and only two weeks. I was one of the smarter few who knew what that meant. Some snow patrol dude had to come rescue us in two weeks or else we’d die out pretty quickly. But it wasn’t like anyone would come running with a giant shovel or anything. We weren’t needed in society anyways. No one here was an heir to a rich corporation. Only heirs to shoe shops and chicken stores mostly. And no one here really had parents who would even notice we were missing.

The lights suddenly dimmed and the teachers made us shut up once again to explain our energy problem.

“Our electricity circuit was jammed and the janitor didn’t get to fixing it. For now, we are using generators, but they too need some rest. I suggest everyone turn in for the night. We have matts that we will be passing out, but please share,” Mr. Bi explained gently. Everyone wasn’t as fretful as before but there were still some crazy lunatics running about. Out of the corner of my eye, I watched as Mr. Kim chased around a wailing cheerleader who was complaining of a broken nail.

Ms. Kwon came up to me carrying a matt. It stunk of moth balls and sweat because they stored it in the locker room the basketball team used for their gym shorts. Those gym shorts were also our ‘emergency clothes’. I think that was their way of telling us to be extra careful on keeping our clothes clean or else we’d stink of fail deodorant and jock sweat.

I didn’t share my comfy matt with anyone. Not that anyone would want to share with me. Sure, we were a school of rejects, but loners don’t hang with other loners, do they? I kind of envied the cheerleaders and bimbos who had friends to keep them warm instead of a foam mattress.

-------------------------------

Didya like it? x) This is kind of like a diary, except it's in her head. And I'm calling Junsu of DBSK "Mr.Xiah" so you won't get mized up with Jaejoong. LOL enjoy^^