Numbness

Shades of Warmth

A/N: Bare with me a little, it gonna get a little bit gloomy for the next few chapters. And i swear and the end of the storm is a colorful rainbow. :)


 

Kai listened to every ring passing before the person he was trying to reach finally picked up. 

"Hello," a weak voice belonged to Sojung said.
"Poem girl, you okay?" 
"Kai?" Sojung voice sounded more awake and aware. "How did you get my phone number?" 
"Your friend from the bookstore," Kai answered. "I heard from him you caught the flu." 
"Haha," Sojung laughed, "well if you know D.O, he likes to exaggerate things. I'm not that sick. I only having a seasonal fever. I'm getting better." 
"I'm glad hearing that," Kai said lied. Something in her voice told him she was not fine. 
Long silence they listened to each other breathing pattern. 
"Poem girl?" Kai asked in a shy tone. 
"Um?" Sojung answered in an equally low voice. 
"Are you really fine?" 
"I'm bored." 
"Sojung are you crying?" 
Her voice was just barely above a whispered when she said, "I'm sorry, I'll call you back later." 
She hanged up. 
She lied. 
Nevertheless, it was alright because he didn't believe her. He didn't count on it that she was going to call him back. But Kai was very worried.

 

 

"I want to go shopping," Sojung said as she saw Kris just set foot on the welcome mat. 
He looked exhausted, completely exhausted. 
She was no better. 
"I'm sorry," Sojung apologized with a small cough. She covered herself with a blanket and sank more comfortably in the sofa. 
"Let's go," Kris said breathlessly. "The weather is nice, let's go out for a while." 
Her eyes shut tightly and her face was pale. She slipped back into dreamland. She thought Kris was just appeared in her dream. 
He stared at her from a good distance and he chose to go and change out of his work uniform. 
He felt content seeing her sleep so peacefully. It probably best if he make the least noise as possible. 
He spoiled her. 
He always did nice things to her. 
He shouldn't react to her needs. 
He should have just make a sarcastic comment or something. 
Why did he always have to give in when she least expected? 
He was too nice. 
That was exactly the problem. 
Kris was too genuine with her. He acted like an older brother protecting his younger sister. He always was like that. 
Kris was too cruel. 
He was the worst.

 

Jessica used to tell Sojung all the time that she was quite an opposite child ever since she was little. 
Jessica found out Sojung weakness. And she used it to her advantage. She told the opposite of what she wanted and Sojung would do the exact opposite. 
Society thinks it a taboo to love somebody that your relative date, and Sojung fallen into her disposition. 
It was like she had been conditioned. She could help but fallen and fallen for her sister lover. 
It is disturbing.

Thin. 
Ice. 
Clear. 
Ice. 
So clear that you could see the crystal blue water reflecting the baby colored sky. 
Yet so thin, so very very thin. Thin enough that 
One missed step upon any thinner layer of ice then she would descend into that harsh, icy water. 
Sojung needed to be careful. 
She had to be more attentive. To say less and think more. 
She was walking on very thin ice. 
She felt like that every now and then. 
Shortness of breathing. 
Hesitant to react. 
Repression to all her senses. 

She felt numb. 
Numbness from ever inches of her body. 
She had fallen already into that icy water. 
Her body refused to swim. It was too cold. 

Kris saw her blanket slipped into a pile of cloth on the carpet, leaving her skin goosebumps and revealing skin. Her belly peircing glimmering in the dimmed lights. 
He picked it up and covered her fully, affectionately, from her toes and tucked comfortably around her neck. 
She felt it. 
In that dreamless state she felt his fingers, his warmness palm placing on her forehead. 
He mumbled something about her temperature was getting worst. He sounded worried. 
She feigned she was sleeping. 
A trail of tears streaming down. She wiped it quickly and left no trace of sadness, just the tiredness she couldn’t fool him.  
Kris wasn’t aware of her crying. At least she didn’t think so. 
She opened her eyes just to her surprise Kris face was just inches from her. She felt weak all over again, but somewhere in the back of her mind reminded her that she needed to be strong for Jessica sake. 
Sojung winced in pain. 
"Where does it hurt?" Kris voice sounded worried. 
Sojung winced even tighter. Under the blanket, her hands were beating her chest. A silence tear came naturally down her cheek. You wouldn't understand if I told you anyway. It's like telling a foreign doctor where it hurts or worse how it hurts. 
The pain is sharp and never seemed to cease. It's like a bad head-ache but it happens in my heart. Her heart kept on throbbing and throbbing. It's call lovesick. 
"Kris, can you do me a favor?" Sojung muttered. 
It was her first time ever asking him to do her a favor, explicitly and pleadingly. 
It was her first time. And it was probably her last. 
She had a feeling he would say yes. 
"What is it?" Kris asked.
"Stop making me think you love me. Stop making me fall harder than I already have." 
Perhaps he sighed. Sojung didn’t know. Or perhaps he didn’t.
Perhaps the transparent wind, the agitated motion of his movement disturbed the soft outer petal of the tulip. 
They held on their breath with a sullen looked.
Their feelings lingered. 
And so they sat there and watched.
A single soft, pink petal came softly rattling down on the table.
It made no sound at all.
It laid there on the low glass table, it was fragile and weak. 
It was crestfallen.
Just from when
did we start feigning ignorance
of this kind of messed-up emotions?
Sojung gained enough effort and stood up, wrapping herself with the blanket.
“I think we have the tendency to pretend to be fine,” Kris spoke up. His eyes though were staring at the darken TV screen. 
Sojung took a step, she wanted to go to her room. She wanted to go badly. She knew she was going to cry if he kept this up.
“I think we need to talk,” Kris voiced sounded sincere. His voice was half of an octave lower than his normal voice which gave he was serious. 
"It was an erroneous love," she muttered. It was my mistake. I shouldn't have fallen for you knowing you love Jessica so much. 
Sojung broke in tears and ran to her room. "Jessica loved you so much." 
Another petal came rattling down. 
If they knew better, they would think that 
The tulips were crying.