Part 1

Catallena

I sigh heavily to myself as I stare at the equations on the paper, though my mind really isn’t focused on math right now. I’m thinking about Nana; as I usually do in this class. Honestly that’s probably why my grades are so bad in here. It’s just really hard to execute formulas properly when your crush of five years sits in front of you.

Yeah, five years, seems like a lot huh? It really doesn’t feel like that to me. We’ve never even had a full conversation in that time. The most talking we’ve ever done is when she asked if she could borrow a pencil (which she never gave back). Even then she didn’t ask me directly. She just asked anyone if they had an extra pencil.

I know what you’re thinking: “But Lizzy, you’ve liked her for five years! How could you not even have talked to her! How do you even know you really like her if you’ve never had a conversation with her!”. Well I’ll tell you.

Im Jinah AKA Nana is absolutely gorgeous. Her face is flawless, her smile makes me want to faint, and don’t even get me started on her body. UMF! The first time I saw her I swear I had some sort of near death experience.

So I’m sure you’re also wondering way we haven’t really talked. Well, we’re both in totally different social circles. Nana is a really popular cheerleader; her friends and her basically run the school. They are all pretty arrogant and think they are better than just about everyone. I mean, I’ve never seen or heard of them actively bullying anyone, but they do have a habit of avoiding all the other cliques and making disgusted faces as some walk by. Plus making irritated sounds when anyone even tries to talk to them. So, why do I even like her because she definitely sounds like a ? Honestly, she could be, but I think there is a softer side to her; a side that really just wants to watch bad romance movies and cuddle while wearing sweat pants and a baggy T-shirt.

As for me, I’m what most people would consider a nerd. I get good grades (mostly), I work and hang around at the local comic book store, and go to Magic: The Gathering tournaments occasionally. Nana and the other cheerleaders usually stay as far away from my kind as possible.

The lunch bell rang and interrupted my thoughts. I gathered my things up slowly. I always liked to be the last one out (admittedly so I could look at Nana’s ).

I walked behind Nana until I had to turn right to go to my row of lockers. My closest friend Raina was standing there waiting for me, like she always did. She was probably the only one that I ever really talked to about my feelings for Nana. I put my books in my locker and we left for lunch.

 

 

After school had let out I walk to the comic book store where I work. Most people wouldn’t consider it to be the most glamorous job, but I absolutely love it. The people that go there are usually nice and it’s great to talk to people with the same interests as me. Did I mention that as an employee I also get first dibs on the new shipments?

As soon as I walked in I say hi to Aron who is working at the counter. Then I go to the back room, shrug off my book bag and get my “uniform” out (by uniform I mean a black polo with the store’s name on the left area, plus my name tag). After I have changed I am about to walk out of the back room when I hear a very familiar voice. I open the door just a sliver and peek out.

There she is; Nana. She is standing at the counter with the fur lined hood of her jacket up, sunglasses on and a scarf. But I can clearly tell it’s her. I am so awe struck by the fact that she’s in a comic store, my comic store, that I don’t even pay attention to what she’s talking about. All I know is she looks pissed. After a few minutes of arguing with Aron she storms out.

Still kind of in a daze I walk out of the back room and stand beside Aron. “What was she so mad about?” I ask. I try to sound uninterested. Like maybe this is a casual question instead of something that I feel like I desperately need to know.

“She was asking if we had a first edition of Catallena. When I told her we didn’t she flipped.” He explained.

Nana wanting a first edition of Catallena? Seriously?

“Has she been in here before?” I need more answers.

“Yeah. She comes here every month to get the new Catallena comic. That’s the only thing she ever gets, and she’s always dressed like that. It’s weird.” Aron continues, “She’d asked if we had a first edition before. I told her no but that I’d look into maybe buying one and reselling it to her. I really never even tried to find one.” Aron shrugs.

I can’t believe this! Nana likes Catallena! It’s my favorite comic book series! It’s all about an awesome half mermaid, siren, super heroine named Catallena who kicks . She’s kind of like Aquaman plus The Little Mermaid only 1000 times better. Did I mention she’s a lesbian and that, about every other month, there is a scene in the comic involving some hardcore girl-on-girl action?

You know, Catallena had always kind of reminded me of Nana. With how y and mysterious they both are…

And Nana reads it!

She’s looking for a first edition so she must be a serious reader…

I have a first edition... in fact I have two.

I have two autographed first editions…

I bite my lip in thought. This could be my chance to actually get to know Nana. She obviously doesn’t want people knowing she likes comics so I’ll have to be a little sneaky about it. I knew just the person to help me.

 

 

“Hurry up JR lunch will be over soon.” I urge my cousin, who also happens to be a janitor at my high school. It’s the day after I saw Nana in the store, and I’m putting my plan into action.

“Chill out Lizzy, I just need to find the key to her locker… Aha! Here it is!” JR says as he unlocks it.

It opens and nothing really surprising is in it. Pictures of Nana with the other cheerleaders, books, her coat, a magnetic mirror, nothing too spectacular.

I put the signed first edition of Catallena between two of her text books. I kept the comic in its plastic protector, as well as put a little note from myself in it. I really hope I’m going about this the right way. I really hope this makes Nana happy.

I shut the locker door and walk down the hall beside JR.

“Thanks. I know you could get into a lot of trouble for this.” I say.

JR laughs and shrugs, “Hey, it’s all cool. I still don’t totally understand though. You could have sold that thing for so much money. Yet you gave it to a prep who doesn’t even know you exist?”

That last part stings my heart a little. Nana not noticing me is something I’m really sensitive about, but I laugh it off.

“Hey, you know how I feel about her. This will make her happy, and in turn make me happy. Even if she has no clue that it’s from me.” I explain.

JR shrugs again, “Ay, whatever floats your boat.”

Just then the bell rang and I went on my way to class.

 

 

It’s the end of the day and I’m seriously anxious. Most people have left already so the halls are pretty empty and I’m glad they are. I definitely look like a major creep peeking around the corner to Nana’s row of lockers. I’m hoping that she hasn’t found the comic yet and that maybe I can catch her reaction when she first finds it.

Finally Nana arrives at her locker and begins to put books in her bag; the comic falls onto the floor. Good, she’s just found it. She picks it up and I smile as I see the comical look of wonder on her face. Then something amazing happens. She hugs it to her chest, smiles like an idiot and giggles like a little school girl. It’s by far the most magical sound I have ever heard.

Her smile disappears and she looks around suspiciously; luckily she doesn’t see me. Nana sees the note inside and pulls it out. I watch as she reads it and I repeat the words in my head: “One day I happened to hear you talking about this at the comic book store (have no fear, your secret is safe with me). I had an extra autographed first edition lying around and I want you to have it. You’re so beautiful and perfect, Nana. I’ve admired you for so long without saying a word. This comic is how I’m paying you back for all the times you’ve graced me with the sight of your flawless face, voice, body, and smile. I hope you enjoy this, and it makes you smile more”.

I had been so cheesy and stupid in the note… I’m kind of regretting it now. I had signed it as “Red Sun”. Which is an anti-hero that appears in the comic often. Did I mention that Red Sun and Catallena have a romance thing going on? There have been at least three scenes between them so far.

Nana smiles widely and carefully puts the comic book in her bag. She was still smiling as she walks away from her locker. I fast walk away to avoid being seen by her. I definitely have a big dopey grin on my face.