Shindae

the Hangouts
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

A soft breeze came through the slightly opened window, but it wasn’t enough to cool Shindae down. She roughly kicked the blankets off herself and heard an annoyed grumble from the half- boy next to her.
“What are you doing,” he mumbled with his head buried in his pillow.
“I’m hot,” she simply replied, staring at the ceiling. The white walls of her large room reflected every ray of sunlight which peeped through the curtains, making it impossible for her to fall asleep again.
“That, I know,” the boy turned his face towards his girlfriend and poked her cheek. She slapped his hand away but smiled.
“Did you sleep well?” she asked as she turned towards Yoongi. The boy mumbled incoherent words as he moved on his side and wrapped his arms around her to pull her close to his bare chest. She nuzzled her face into his neck, placing small kisses.
“I wonder how Chaima is doing,” Shindae said, thinking about the previous nights. It was Sunday, and yesterday was the pyjama party. Yuni bravely told her story, which made Shindae wonder if anyone else already knew about Yuni’s secret. The way that Saenan hugged her, though, made her realize no one had been aware of the girl’s situation. Saenan would be considered Yuni’s best friend, since they were always together so if she didn’t know, then maybe no one knew before yesterday. Chaima and Hoseok didn’t speak all day with the male avoiding every gaze Chaima threw at him; when she tried to speak to him, he simply walked away or ignored her completely.
“I’m more worried about Hoseok, to be honest,” Yoongi replied, running a hand through Shindae’s hair.
“Yeah, he was really upset…”
“I tried to stop him, I really did. I could barely hold onto him; I had to call for Jin to help me get him off of Seobin.”
“I know, you were really brave,” Shindae joked making Yoongi bite her nose softly in response. Shindae giggled and sat up, rubbing the spot her boyfriend had bit before she leaned over to her nightstand to grab her phone.
“Maybe we should invite them both to talk it out?” she asked, looking towards Yoongi again. The latter shrugged and mumbled something she couldn’t hear again but Shindae wouldn’t have any of it and pushed him so he rolled onto his chest. “Yoongi! I’m serious! I don’t want our friends to fight. Especially not my best friend,” she complained. Yoongi struggled to roll onto his back again and grabbed Shindae before pulling her on his chest again. Ignoring his talkative girlfriend, he tried to continue sleeping but her continuous rambling about fights made it kind of impossible.
“You are always taking care of people, let them fix it themselves for once,” he groaned.
“But-“
“Sssssh, it’s Sunday, it’s early; let’s sleep please,” Yoongi he shushed her, putting his hand playfully over which made it impossible for her to start complaining again.
Shindae gave up. He was probably right anyways; she always tried to fix things for people she really cared about, but maybe they should work this one out themselves.


She decided to text Chaima anyways.

How are you? Did you talk to Hoseok yet? You can come over if you want to, ask him to come too so you two can talk?

She clicked ‘send’ just when Yoongi started complaining, with his eyes still closed.
“You texted her anyways, didn’t you?”
“I deny everything,” she said as she threw her phone to the other side of the bed. He sighed deeply and pinched her arm.
“OW! What was that for?” Shindae whined and sat up again.
“Stop messing around with other people’s lives, Song Shindae,” he growled, slowly opening his eyes and staring at her with a serious expression. She pouted and rubber the sore spot, but wisely didn’t reply, for she knew he was right.
When they heard a high “beep” come from the other side of the bed, they looked at each other for a second. Yoongi shook his head with a frown, like he was trying to say; “Don’t you dare”. Shindae’s lips formed into a cheeky smile and before they knew it, they were wrestling and struggling to grab Shindae’s phone. “Yoongi!” she shrieked while trying to escape from his tight grip, one arm stretched towards her phone.
“No, woman, I warned you,” he growled between his teeth, pulling his girlfriend away from the device with a smug smirk on his face. Shindae wiggled her whole body and managed to grab her phone. Yoongi pounced on top of her and tried to pull it out of her hands.
“Please, let me just check the message. I promise I won’t mess around anymore!” she pleaded with big puppy eyes. Yoongi, who sat on top of her, frowned and sighed. “Fine.”
Shindae quickly unlocked her phone before her boyfriend would change his mind.

Chaima                               09:11

I’ll message him and come over in a bit. See you soon.

 

“She’s coming over,” Shindae said with a satisfied smirk. Yoongi pulled an angry face and started tickling her. “You are unbelievable,” he complained between her pleading shouts for him to stop tickling her.
“Let’s go shower, please,” Shindae pouted when he finally stopped torturing her.
Yoongi nodded quickly and made himself fall backwards into his pillow again, too tired to function.

A half an hour later, Shindae came walking from her bathroom, drying her hair while her boyfriend was still lying on her bed in the same position she left him. Annoyed, she walked over to the bed end and tugged hard on the blankets. Yoongi grumbled as the blankets were roughly pulled off his body.
“Get up, now,” Shindae demanded. Yoongi sat up with a sleepy face, running a hand through his messy hair while Shindae moved to the large mirror in the corner of her room. She carefully put products in her damp hair as she followed Yoongi’s every move as he walked towards her bathroom. “Lazy bastard…” she mumbled.
“I heard that,” she heard him shout from the bathroom. Shindae snorted and shook her head. Yoongi was so lazy, it even surprised her. Quickly putting on one of Yoongi’s hoodies, Shindae checked herself in the mirror. The grey hoodie was way too big for her but she still loved it. He wore it the first day they met, and ever since the day they started dating; the girl claimed it as rightfully hers.
“Miss Shindae, Miss Chaima is here to see you. She’s waiting in the front room,” a male voice said coming from her bedroom door. She turned around to see their butler, Minjun, in her doorway. He was around 25 years old, a young man who was desperately looking for a job. Shindae’s father, the mayor of the town, gladly took him in. “He will be helpful in this big house”, was the best reason her father could come up with. Shindae thought a butler was useless; they weren’t freaking royalty. She nodded with a casual smile in response. Minjun left again, closing the door. Shindae took one last glance at herself, fixing her make up a little bit before banging the door of her bathroom.
“I’m downstairs, Chaima is here. You best not be sleeping in there or I will drown you personally,” she shouted through the door.
“Yeah, yeah, yeah,” Yoongi shouted back, annoyed.
She made her way downstairs via the big white stairs. Once on the ground floor, she took a left towards the room where they hung out the day before. Chaima was already curled up on her favourite spot on the big sand coloured couch. She wore a long vest and t-shirt, her big curly hair tied in a bun. Shindae rushed over to her friend and pounced on the couch next to her with a wide smile, happy to see her.
“Good morning,” Chaima said with a small voice. Shindae noticed her friend was still upset about what happened between her, Hoseok and Seobin.
“Tell me, have you spoken to any of the boys yet?” Shindae asked curiously before curling up her legs on the couch, turning towards her friend.  Chaima shook her head.
“I haven’t. Well not to the important one, that is.”
“And which one would that be,” Shindae asked with a cocked eyebrow. Chaima didn’t answer instantly.
“Chaima!” Shindae exclaimed full disbelief and gave her friend a little push.
“What!” she responded, equally surprised.
“I can’t believe you hesitated,” Shindae shook her head, frowning at her friend.
Before Chaima could object, Yoongi finally walked in. He wore a large black t-shirt and sweat pants as he shuffled over to the couch where the girls were sitting on. He didn’t bother to dry his dark brown hair so when he plopped on the couch next to Shindae, he made drops of water spread everywhere. Shindae brushed them off as she gave her boyfriend an annoyed look. He replied by sticking out his tongue and carelessly the TV. Shindae quickly focussed back on her friend who was now staring through the large windows which showed parts of their large garden. The weather was quite nice for an early spring day. Chaima’s expression didn’t change since the moment she walked into the mansion. She was worried that her friendship with Hoseok was ruined forever. Then again, she wasn’t even sure if it was only friendship in the first place. She felt her friend touch her arm, which made her flinch slightly; snapping back to reality. Shindae’s bright eyes pierced through hers. Shindae always knew how to get through Chaima; they have been friends since birth for their mothers were best friends for years and years.
“Well?” Shindae said with an encouraging tone.
Once again, Chaima was cut off by Yoongi. His phone rang and he answered it lightly:
“What. No. Yes. Sure, see you in a bit. Bye.”
The two girls glanced at the boy. Shindae cocked an eyebrow and Chaima wrinkled her forehead a bit, both curious who the caller was. Yoongi didn’t seem affected by the glances of the girls. He looked at them shortly with a bored expression. “What?”
“Who was that,” Shindae said curiously with her significant honey-sweet voice.
“Oh, Hoseok,” he answered like it was nothing, focussing back on the big television.
Chaima’s expression went from curiosity to total horror. Shindae snatched the remote from his hands and turned the device off.
“I was watching that,” Yoongi complained, not grasping the situation quite yet.
“Is he coming over? What did he say? When is he coming?” Shindae shot questions at him like he was a criminal under interrogation.
Yoongi grimaced, not sure why his girlfriend was getting so worked up about their friend coming over. “Yeah, in like 15 minutes or something. He just got into his car. He asked me if I was still sleeping and if I was at your house or not,” he said, snatching the remote back and turning the TV back on.
Shindae turned to Chaima again, who stared blankly in front of her; terrified.
“I’m guessing from your expression that you haven’t talked to Hoseok yet…” she started carefully.
Chaima’s expression didn’t change, nor did she take her gaze off the white walls behind the television. She only shook her head slightly and handed her phone to her friend. Shindae unlocked Chaima’s phone and went to messages. In the “Sent” file there were multiple messages sent towards Hoseok. Her “Inbox”, however, was full with messages from Seobin. Hoseok hadn’t replied to any of her pleading messages, asking him to call her or at least respond to her.
Seobin’s messages were also pleading, but this time towards Chaima.

Seobin                   sat 15:18

Chaima I haven’t spoken to you all day yet, are you mad at me too?


Seobin                   sat 15:24

Are you with him?! Is this why you’re not speaking with me? Call me.


Seobin                   sat 15:31

I thought we had fun at the party, Chaima. Don’t you agree?

 

Shindae stared at her friend’s phone and processed the situation for a moment. Shindae always knew Hoseok and Chaima were a little bit too close to be only best friends. She had seen the two flirt with each other for over a year, but blind for the signals they were both sending. Right now, Hoseok was heartbroken and Chaima didn’t even grasp the situation yet.
“Miss, it’s quite a nice weather outside, the weather report predicted it would be around 22 degrees today. Should I make smoothies and turn the heat in the pool on so you can enjoy the weather?” Minjun suddenly spoke from behind them. Shindae nodded. This was a good way to avoid Hoseok. Yoongi could hang out with him and I could hide Chaima in the garden. The trees and bushes blocked the view to the pool from the front room anyways.
“Splended idea, Minjun, thank you,” Shindae said with a bright smile. Chaima looked confused at her.
“The pool sounds nice,” Yoongi said, stretching and turning off the TV again.
“Yeah, babe, you’re not coming. You stay in with Hoseok. Chaima and I need to talk about Seobin,” Shindae explained with her honey-sweet voice, her boyfriend’s cheek. He didn’t look amused.
“Well don’t let me ruin that talk then,” a voice spoke. The trio turned around to see Hoseok stand in the doorway with Minjun. This is why I hate having a freaking butler.
“Hoseok…” Shindae started. The boy was wearing a white hoodie with a black snap back. His jeans had cuts and holes everywhere and he wore the brightest white high top sneakers. He dropped his black backpack on the floor near the door and walked up to the trio. He greeted Yoongi with the boys’ signature fist bump, high fived Shindae and walked past Chaima to the other couch and sat in his favourite spot.
Chaima looked at him with disbelief; he didn’t even greet her. “Hello to you too,” she said with a small voice.
“Hello,” he said bluntly, staring at his phone, typing.
“Yeah, we’re going to the pool, see you guys later,” Shindae quickly stood up and grabbed her friend by the wrist.
“Maybe we wanna come too,” Yoongi objected.
“Nah, I don’t have my swimming trunks with me anyway,” Hoseok said, leaning back in the couch and shoving his phone in his pocket.
“You can borrow one of mine. Your isn’t that big, I assume?” Yoongi joked, already standing up to go to Shindae’s room and get the boys some swimming gear. Shindae sighed, defeated.
“Should I make four smoothies then?” Minjun’s voice said hesitantly.
“Yeah, you do that Minjun,” Shindae snapped at him with sarcasm. She was quite annoyed at the fact that her plan didn’t work out the way she wanted it to.
The four walked up the white stairs, towards Shindae’s room. They went through one of the doors, walking into her closet. Shindae and Chaima picked bikini’s to wear and grabbed a bathrobe. The boys started joking around at the horrible prints Yoongi’s swimming trunks had and the girls left the closet. “You change here, and we’ll change in my room. If I see the doorknob move one inch before we are done changing; that wardrobe will be the last thing the both of you will see,” Shindae threatened, slamming the door on the laughing boys.
The girls silently and quickly changed into their swimming gear, with their gaze stuck on the doorknob. Even though these were college boys; they were still boys. And these boys were surprisingly cheeky. Once fully changed, with their bathrobes on, Shindae opened the door to the closet.
“What if I was ?!” Hoseok protested as soon as she opened the door, putting a hand on his bare chest and acted surprised. Yoongi laughed hard at his friend but Shindae was less amused by the boys.
“Let’s go, idiots,” she growled, making her way towards the stairs again. The others followed her towards the scullery, through here they went outside. Walking past the trees which just started to bloom, they arrived at the pool. Alongside the pool, several chairs were placed around a table were Minjun put the prepared smoothies. The girls walked over to the chairs to take off their bathrobes but the boys jumped into the pool straight away, splashing water everywhere.  The girls were hit by multiple water drops and squealed as the cold water touched them.
Shindae threw the boys a scowl as she took her bathrobe off and dropped it on the chair. Chaima followed this example and followed her friend to the little stairs that ended in the pool
“Baby, don’t get into the water just yet. I want to look at you like this for a while,” Yoongi shouted from the other side of the pool. Shindae snorted and the girls dove in quickly to avoid more jokes.
Shindae was happy that Minjun turned up the heat of the pool cause once the water touched her body; it felt pleasant. When she surfaced again, she noticed that Yoongi moved closer to her. Still annoyed by his last comment, she splashed water at him. “Go away,” she pouted, but he only rubbed the water out of his face and locked his arms around her waist. “But you look so pretty in that bathing suit, princess” he said sweetly, kissing her nose. She smiled happily at her cute boyfriend, until she remembered what kind of situation she was in. Chaima sat on the pool stairs, alone. Hoseok was on the other side of the pool, with his back towards the rest, staring at the garden.
“Babe, we have to do something,” Shindae whispered in her boyfriend’s ear. She wrapped her arms and legs around him, so that he was half carrying her.
“No, we don’t. They’ll fix it themselves,” he answered playing with her wet hair.
“But, babe…” she started, but he wouldn’t let her finish. To shut her up he pulled the both of them under water and up again, resulting in her screaming.
Chaima looked at the pair. She was used to them being entwined like this, and couldn’t be happier for her friend. But the situation wasn’t ideal for them to be on their own. Usually, she and Hoseok would make fun of them, pretend to be kissing like the love birds or make funny noises at them. Now he was just ignoring every gaze she threw at him. She was out of ideas. What must she do to fix this?

Hoseok ran a hand through his wet black hair. He leaned on the edge of the pool, pointlessly gazing into the other direction than where his friends were. Deep down inside he wanted to talk to her, he really did. But every time he looked at her, he would get flashbacks from Friday night. Even if he did speak to her, he didn’t know what to say; mainly because he was just as confused as everyone else about his actions. Why did it piss him off that much that she was kissing some guy?  They were just friends after all, right?
Suddenly, he felt a jerk at his ankles and he got pulled under water. The hands let go of his ankles and he surfaced quickly.
“WHAT,” he shouted, rubbing the water out of his eyes turning towards the culprit. Yoongi laughed at his surprised face. Shindae was now sitting next to Chaima, talking and witnessing the scene.
“Sorry, I wanted to include you in the fun a bit, bro,” Yoongi said, scratching his head.
Hoseok gave a small crooked smile. He appreciated his friend Yoongi very much. They had been friends for two years now and shared many interests.
“So, what’s going on?” Yoongi started carefully, leaning with his back against the pool edge. Hoseok took the same position, facing the girls. Chaima was wearing a sand coloured bikini which matched well with her skin tone. He couldn’t help but smile at what he was looking at but reality struck the moment he thought back about Friday.
“I don’t even know, man,” Hoseok replied, rubbing his hands in his face; trying to remove the images in his head.
“Could it be that you and Chaima aren’t just friends?” Yoongi said playfully, cocking his head. Hoseok looked at him with a frown. “Yeah, right.”
“I don’t see why that’s weird. You punched a guy who was kissing her after all,” Yoongi said with a small snort.
“Yeah, well I was drinking alcohol. I blame that,” Hoseok said grumpily.
“… Hoseok you drank three gulps of whiskey. Even Jimin wouldn’t feel that and he is tipsy after two beers,” Yoongi mocked.
“It’s a pretty terrible excuse, isn’t it…”
“Basically, yes.”
The boys looked at each other for a second and laughed.
“What are you gonna do next,” asked Yoongi. He didn’t want to put ideas in if friends mind. If he wanted to talk it out with Chaima; he should come up with that plan himself. Unlike Shindae, Yoongi didn’t like to mess with peoples issues. He’d rather give solid advice when asked for, but doesn’t want to fix things for others. He always loved that about Shindae. Not a lot of people knew about her good side and he was one of the lucky few to have experienced it.
Hoseok sighed, “I guess I’ll have to talk to her, don’t I?”  Yoongi shrugged, “That’s up to you.”  Hoseok sighed deeply before going down in the water completely, surfacing again and making his way towards the girls.
Shindae noticed the boy moving towards them and Chaima gave her a worried look. “You’ll be fine,” Shindae said, patting her friend’s shoulder and got out of the pool. She moved towards the table, grabbed a smoothie and laid down on one of the chairs. Yoongi soon joined her as he sat down on the chair on the empty spot near her feet.
Shindae cocked an eyebrow at her boyfriend who looked way too satisfied with himself at this point.
“So, when you tell me not to mess around, you actually mean ‘let me handle it’? Or was this just a coincidence?” she asked sarcastically. His only response was a smug smirk and a pinch in her leg. Shindae pouted angrily, drinking from her smoothie. Yoongi looked at the other duo, sitting on the stairs of the pool. Chaima nervously played with the water while Hoseok sat down next to her, scratching his head and clearing his throat.
“Hi,” he said with a shaky voice, not sure how to start.
“Hello.” Chaima didn’t look up and kept staring at her legs which were still submerged in the water.
“I guess I owe you an apology,” Hoseok started. Chaima only nodded with her face overflowing in sadness. He felt uncomfortable. This didn’t feel right at all. He knew her for years; they have been friends for years. This situation shouldn’t be real.
“I’m sorry I punched your boyfriend,” he continued.
“He is not my boyfriend,” she responded sharply.
“But you kissed him,” he snapped back.
“And this bothers you, because?” She cocked an eyebrow at him. They finally made solid eye contact for the first time that day.
Hoseok didn’t respond immediately which resulted in Chaima shaking her head and letting out a deep breath.
“You know what? Nevermind, Hoesoek. If you’re going to be like this; then let’s not talk anymore. I’m going home,” she stood up and wanted to walk away but Hoseok grabbed her by the wrist.
“No, please let me try again. I was just-“
“Let go of me,” she snarled, looking at his hand locked around her wrist.
“No,” he replied, equally angry.
“You better let go of me or I will punch you.”
“Like that would scare me. You’re not leaving, I’m not done yet.”
“I really-“

Yoongi and Shindae looked at the duo argue. They shared some concerned glances, and when Yoongi got up to separate the two before it got out of hand; they heard Chaima shout; “I really-“, but she never finished for Hoseok had pulled her in and pressed his lips on hers.
Shindae almost dropped her glass. “Well that escalated quickly…” she mumbled with big eyes. Yoongi sat down again, just as surprised as his girlfriend.

Chaima didn’t really understand how it happened, but as soon as Hoseok’s lips touched hers she felt a shiver go through her spine. Different feelings took over her body before realizing she felt herself push him off her, flinging her arm and slapping him across the face. She was enraged.
Hoseok rubbed his cheek with his mouth wide open. “I suppose I deserved that,” he mumbled.
“Hell yes, you did. You think that would fix everything?” she shouted back at him. She walked over to the chairs where Yoongi and Shindae sat and grabbed a bathrobe from the chairs. She noticed Shindae had a rather shocked expression and Yoongi’s hand hovered over his cheek like he felt the slap personally as he mouthed “ouch”. She walked off angrily, further inwards the gardens. Shindae’s gardens were rather large and had small paths between trees and rosebushes. Blinded by anger and confusion, she stormed off to an open green closed off by hedges, adorned with a wooden table with 4 chairs on each side. There was one opening in the formation of hedges; the entrance. She angrily walked towards the table and sat down on one of the chairs. She leaned with her elbows on the table, supporting her head with her hands and sighed.
I can’t believe he thought that would solve everything. She ran a hand through her thick, wet hair and flung it to one side. Before she was even remotely calm, she heard someone approach the spot she was sitting at. She looked at her only exit; the entrance, and saw Hoseok walk up towards her. His eyes were focussed on the path and he frowned deeply. Chaima stood up, almost slamming the chair on the floor. “No, leave,” she demanded.
“No, you’re gonna hear me out first,” he said calmly. He didn’t look at her but walked up to her and pushed her back into the chair.  He sat down in the chair across the table and sighed deeply.
Chaima noticed he didn’t look angry or upset, but more determined. He inhaled deeply a couple of times, before finally looking her into her eyes.
“I don’t know why I did that. I don’t know why I punched him either. Well, I think I know, but I’m not sure.”
“Well then, that was all I assume?” Chaima said sarcastically, attempting to walk away again.
“Can I finish?” he snarled at her. She was kind of shocked by this and sat down again. She grimaced before looking away again. This didn’t amuse Hoseok at all.
“Can you stop being like Shindae for a moment. You’re my best friend; don’t at me,” he said with sharp tone. Chaima looked at him again, feeling ultimately sad because she realized he was right. They were best friends. But where did it go wrong?
“I don’t want to fight, and I most definitely don’t want our friendship to end like this,” he proceeded.
“Me neither,” Chaima mumbled, playing with her hair. Looking at Hoseok at this point made her very nervous. One reason being the conversation they were having and the tension around it, and the other being that he did wear swimming trunks and he had drops dripping all over his bare chest.
“I think we’ve both been denying this for a while and I’m pretty sure our friends out there have witnessed it for years,” he explained carefully, trying to avoid her eyes cause of the point he was trying to make.
“If we’re talking about the same thing then I agree,” Chaima mumbled.
“Okay.”
“Okay…”
Hoseok cleared his throat. An awkward moment passed and they both were too afraid to speak again. Hoseok took the courage to speak again.
“Let’s just forget about everything,” he proposed, “let’s be hang out again and just let go of what happened just not and this weekend, okay?”
Chaima was confused. Didn’t he just confess he felt the same way? Now he just wants to be friends again? What?  She quickly smiled and agreed; she didn’t want him to have the wrong impression any more. Hoseok smiled widely at her and stood up. She followed his example and fixed her bathrobe a little, making sure it covered everything up completely. He held out one arm and motioned for her to walk over to him. She did so and he flung his arm around her shoulders.
“Stop covering yourself up, I’ve already seen you half anyways,” he said with a wide grin. Before she could respond he tugged hard on the bathrobe, pulling it off her body and running off with it. Chaima cursed loudly and chased him all the way towards the pool. Shindae and Yoongi were in the water again and turned their heads towards the ruckus. Hoseok came bolting from between the rose bushes with the bathrobe in one hand. He dropped it before jumping into the pool with a big splash. Chaima came around the corner as well, shouting and cursing, following him into the pool.
Shindae and Yoongi weren’t really sure if their friends made up or not hence the fact that Chaima was trying to drown Hoseok for a solid five minutes. When Chaima finally gave up, she climbed out of the pool and drank her smoothie with an angry pout.
“Oh, while you guys were away, I kind of sent a message to the group that we’re having a pool party,” Yoongi said, pointing at his phone which was lying on the table. Chaima threw one thumb up as she drank her smoothie. Hoseok shouted an excited; “Alright!” from the other side of the pool.
Shindae shook her head. She’d have to talk to Chaima in private to figure out what happened in those moments that they were alone. She looked at Yoongi, with her arms locked around his neck.
“Hello gorgeous,” he whispered before giving her a small kiss.
“Hello,” she smiled. Before they could so anything else, Shindae felt a pair or arms lean on her shoulders. Hoseok’s face appeared on her left shoulder.
“When did you send that message, Suga?” he said with a big grin.
“I don’t know, ten minutes ago?” Yoongi replied.
“So, knowing Jimin; he’d be here in less than 3 minutes from now, right?”
“I knew you guys missed me enough to be talking about me!” they heard a smooth voice come from the house. Jimin was already wearing his swimming trunks, topped off with a black zip-up hoodie and with slippers on his feet. He stood there with his eyes mile and his arms spread like he was about to hug them all. The four laughed at the idiot who quickly took all the unnecessary clothing off before jumping in the pool too. He forgot his red snapback however, which was now floating somewhere around in the water. Hoseok swam over to his friend, leaving the couple alone again. Soon, more people started to come over. Hyejoon and Taehyung came shortly after Jimin, Baeri after that and Jin arrived last.
“Minjun, could you maybe prepare the barbeque, I think we’ll be hungry in about an hour,” Shindae asked, still holding onto her other half. Minjun nodded before returning inside.
Jimin and Hoseok were wrestling over Jimin’s snapback which was completely soaked. Jimin tried to save it but Hoseok had other plans. He threw the cap towards Yoongi and Shindae.  Yoongi grabbed the cap and put it on his girl’s head.
“Well, doesn’t this look great with your red bikini,” he said playfully, playing with the strings of her bikini. She slapped his hand away but smiled. Yoongi smirked; he enjoyed her smile. There were at least 7 billion smiles in this world, but hers was his favourite; especially because she didn’t sincerely smile that often.
Taehyung took off his shirt and stuffed it into his backpack. Hyejoon quickly glanced at his now bare chest from the corner of her eyes before sitting down on one of the chairs. Her green with blue beach dress danced with the soft spring breeze.
“I see you finally wore some appropriate according to the weather, Hyejoon. Good job,” Shindae shouted sarcastically from the water, resulting in everyone laughing. It seemed like she hadn’t forgot about her mishap with the red dress in December. Hyejoon huffed while she felt her cheeks turn red in embarrassment. Typically Shindae.
“That’s a really gorgeous dress, Hyejoon,” Baeri sat on the chair next to her with her colourful bikini. “Thanks, my mom bought it for me,” Hyejoon said proudly while the fabric. She could hear Shindae’s horses neigh in a field next to the gardens.
“Oh right, I almost forgot that Shindae has horses,” Hyejoon said, slightly shocked by the sudden sound.
“Yeah, they’re really pretty. We go riding every Thursday nights; Chaima, Shindae and me,” Baeri said while placing her hand above her eyes to prevent the sun from hitting her eyes. Hyejoon pouted a bit. She really loves horses, but the relationship between her and Shindae wasn’t that great to expect an invitation for these ride nights. Taehyung jumped into the pool with Jin; once again the water splashed everywhere. Yoongi saw Minjun prepare the barbeque and putting the meat on the large table close to the barbeque; ready to grill once it was heated enough. He got out of the water, not before giving Shindae a final kiss on her nose and leaving her with Chaima and the boys and started cutting cucumbers. Baeri noticed Hyejoon’s expression.
“Do you like horses? Maybe you can join us next Thursday?” Baeri offered.
Hyejoon smiled widely, “I love horses!” Her smile faded soon after she realized, “But I don’t think Shindae would want me there.”
“Don’t be silly, just come over on Thursday, okay?” Baeri smiled.
“Alright, I will,” Hyejoon replied with the widest smile she had.
“I’m going in, you coming too?”
“No, I’ll go help Yoongi prepare the food,” Hyejoon replied before watching Baeri get into the water carefully. She walked over towards the large table where Yoongi was calmly cutting up the vegetables. He smiled at her when he saw she joined in on his work.
“I’m glad you joined us as well,” Yoongi said with a friendly tone.
“Thank you for inviting me,” she replied.
“Well, you’re part of the group now. Of course you’re invited,” Yoongi said slightly surprised by her response. Why would she feel like she wouldn’t be invited?
“Yeah, I suppose. It’s just that Shindae and I haven’t really had a chance to actually talk. She usually just makes fun of me…” Hyejoon said carefully, not sure how the boyfriend of her topic would take it that she’d be talking about this. To her surprise; he smiled and looked in the direction where Shindae was.
“She’s a tough nut to crack,” he simply said.
“But she’s so mean most of the time… Has she always been like this?” Hyejoon said but instantly regretting saying it. This wasn’t really a small talk anymore. She bluntly accused his girlfriend of being a mean girl in her own house. But before she could apologize and take her words back, Yoongi spoke with his gaze still focussed on Shindae who was smiling and playing around with their friends.
“She’s mad but she’s magic. There’s no lie in her fire.”
Hyejoon didn’t really get what he meant, but didn’t really know how to express it. He continued.
“She’s actually very beautiful, but not like those girls in magazines. She’s beautiful for the way she thinks, the sparkle in her eyes when she talks about something she loves. She’s beautiful for her ability to make other people smile even when she’s sad herself. No, she isn’t just beautiful for something as temporary as her looks. She’s beautiful, deep down to her soul.”
Hyejoon stared at the boy. She could see the love in his eyes, the way he looked at the girl in the pool. His words sounded like music, like a very personal song that she wasn’t sure if she should’ve heard. She was speechless, for her mind worked overtime to understand his words. Hyejoon didn’t understand at all, frankly. So, the cold hard Shindae had more to her than she showed to the world? Her gaze went from Yoongi to Shindae, who was now hugging Jimin tightly. The pair smiled and laughed, playing in the water. Hyejoon was sincerely confused.
Chaima glanced towards Yoongi and Hyejoon.
“They seem awfully comfortable together,” she whispered to Shindae. The latter turned her head towards the couple Chaima nodded at. She noticed Yoongi and Hyejoon cutting up the vegetables and smiling at each other. It didn’t worry her much so she shrugged it off.
“Let them be, she needs friends in this town.”
Chaima didn’t reply. The confidence in Shindae’s words assured the girl that Shindae wasn’t worried at all about the scene they just witnessed. Shindae locked her arms around Jimin’s neck again.
“Noona, are you enjoying yourself?” Jimin asked Shindae sweetly. The latter smiled at her male friend.
 Jimin had been her best friend for over 5 years. They went to the same high school; and during their first shared class of PE, Jimin already made a huge impression on her. Even back then he never failed to smooth talk the ladies. Trying to impress his new friends, he walked up to Shindae and asked for her number. The latter laughed loudly in his face, but was impressed by his nerve. She gave him her number, with the fair warning that she was not interested in him in a romantic way and would never be either. She let him brag to his friends about getting her number, while winking at her.
“I am,” she replied as she felt the boy’s arms around her waist. Jimin never ever tried anything with her. He was like her little brother and he knew that very well. It was thanks to Jimin that she met the boy that she couldn’t be without these days. Yoongi and Jimin had been childhood friends, like Chaima and Shindae were.
“I’m kind of hungry though,” Jimin complained with a baby voice, pinching her skin.
“Patience, sweetie. They’re preparing it already,” Shindae grit through her teeth as she flinched by the unexpected pinches in her hips. Jimin laughed with his signature infectious laugh. She always loved that smile. Shindae picked her friends wisely and she was very happy with the decision to give her number to this silly, adorable boy.
“Let go!” someone shrieked. Shindae and Jimin turned her heads towards the noise.
Hyejoon was still standing near the table which was now covered with different types of salads and meat, ready to be put on the grill. Hyejoon, however, wasn’t pleased by the scene. Stuck to her wrist, a wet hand was locked tightly. Taehyung was roughly pulling her away from said table. He was completely drenched, since he snuck out of the pool while Hyejoon and Yoongi were conversing; she didn’t notice him. His cheeky smirk predicted that he was up to no good. Taehyung could read the terror on her face as he dragged her towards the pool. “You’ve been dry way too long, you’re going to get wet, now,” he said cheekily with his velvet voice. Hyejoon wasn’t sure if she should shriek louder than she already did or cry. She was still wearing her dress and didn’t plan on going into the pool at all that day; she didn’t feel comfortable to be that in front of these people just yet.
Her pleading words were futile. The smirk formed on his plush lips showed that he didn’t feel like letting her go until they were in the pool, together.
“At least let me take my dress off! It was expensive!” Hyejoon pleaded one last time. She could hear Shindae and Chaima snort.
“Fine,” Taehyung chuckled and let go of her wrist. The boy didn’t move away from her side however, making it impossible for her to escape. Hyejoon nervously looked around, eyeing the others who were comfortably watching the scene from the pool. Jimin and Hoseok were obviously amused, Chaima and Shindae glanced with high expectations for what’s about to happen and Jin and Baeri were laughing softly. Hyejoon could hear Yoongi chuckle from next to the barbeque; giving her the feeling she was completely on her own right now. She quickly looked at the boy next to her. His wet chest was almost touching her right shoulder. His head was slightly cocked, impatient coughs coming from his lips. “You better hurry up, clumsy cat. Or do you need a hand?” he said playfully while tugging softly on her dress. She sighed deeply and slapped his hand away. Annoyed, she lifted the long dress over her head revealing her curvy body. The bikini had the same blue and green colours and patterns like her dress. Taehyung let his eyes slide over her body, enjoying the sight for only a split second before locking his arms around her waist and pulling her close to his half- body. Hyejoon closed her eyes tightly, waiting for the impact of them falling into the water together. After a couple of seconds, nothing happened.
Well something did, but not that what she expected.
She could feel the softness of his lips touching hers, gently kissing every corner of her lips. She opened her eyes quickly and pushed him away. “What is this,” she shouted.
Taehyung smiled widely with his heart-shaped smile, “I just wanted to see you in a bikini, babe.”
Hyejoon felt rage brewing in her stomach and charged with both hands towards the ash blonde boy. She wanted to strangle him for humiliating her. The laughter of the group fuelled her rage but Taehyung wouldn’t let her touch him. He grabbed her wrists before she could even try to wrap them around his neck. He laughed loudly as he put his arms around her waist again and finally dragging her into the pool. The cool water embraced their bodies as they hit the water with a big splash. While surfacing again, his arms were still around her waist. Hyejoon quickly pushed him off of her and wiped her wet hair out of her face. “I can’t believe you just did that!” she shrieked.

After an afternoon of playing in the water, laughing and even a little scolding; it was time for dinner. Hoseok and Jin were busy at the grill while the others were sat around the table. The sounds of chattering and laughter filled the soft spring air. As it started to get a little cooler, the group put on some hoodies and vests to keep warm. The blue smoke coming from Chaima’s cigarette danced in the wind. Shindae grabbed a piece of cucumber as she looked at her friends. A satisfied smile crept upon her cheeks at the sight. She flinched as she felt something touch her arm which was resting on the table. Yoongi, who sat next to her, had put his hand on her arm as he saw her expression. He winked quickly at her, giving her the familiar warm feeling in her chest. Next to Shindae sat Hyejoon. The two still hadn’t had a “normal” conversation together and being well known as an “ice queen”; Shindae didn’t feel like starting one either. She is very cautious towards new people and with a reason. From the corner of her eyes she could see Hyejoon fidgeting and being nervous to even sit next to her which made her chuckle softly. Hyejoon coughed awkwardly; she wasn’t sure if she should start a conversation with the girl next to her or just keep focussing on the conversation the others were having, including Taehyung who sat at her other hand. Hyejoon decided; she grabbed all her courage and started a conversation.
“Yoongi told me that you speak very passionately about the things you like. What kind of things do you like?” she started with a small voice. Shindae cocked an eyebrow as she noticed the new girl spoke to her. The latter’s posture and tone in her voice revealed that she wasn’t very sure about her actions at this point.
“I like lots of things, actually,” Shindae replied lightly.
Hyejoon let out a short breath, trying to refrain herself from snapping at the lady who’s house she was at right now. “Can you name one?”
Shindae was silent for a moment; she poked her left overs on her plate and eyed her friends. Everyone seemed too busy to provide her a distraction from this conversation. Even Jimin was too busy; he was teasing Taehyung by blocking him from the food. She sighed, “I like to sing,” she said in a bored voice, trying to give Hyejoon the hint that she didn’t feel comfortable enough to talk to her on a personal level just yet. Hyejoon, however, kept trying.
“Oh? Are you any good?”
“I’m rather skilled at this, yes,” Shindae replied coldly. Why did

Please log in to read the full chapter