part 1.

Between Coffee and Bubble Tea

 

Sehun remembers when he and Luhan started going out to get some bubble tea. It was on their very first meeting, Luhan was apparently a new student in his school and he was assigned to be Sehun’s seatmate. It was Luhan who introduced himself first. It was Luhan who blabbered about why he moved, where he lived and his hobby. Sehun didn’t put much interest at first since he didn’t really care about his pretty looking seatmate until the boy mentioned ‘bubble tea’.

Luhan smiled in satisfaction as he saw the change of Sehun’s face. The guy next to him surprisingly looked at him for the first time in a few hours of his blabbering. He was glad he brought up the topic about one of his favorite drink. That leaded to Luhan asking Sehun to show him a bubble tea store nearby (saying he was not familiar with Seoul yet).

The two didn’t think bubble tea would bring them into a stage of friendship. It turned out that the two are known as the twins of the school, Luhan as the cute and caring older brother while Sehun will be the anti-social yet still cute younger brother. They both don’t mind and the title is still there until now.

Sehun is not exactly an outgoing social- butterfly but he is not as cold as the others think of him. He is more like the type who will get clingy and whiny once you are considered as ‘close friends’ by Oh Sehun. It doesn’t matter to him what the others say or think because Luhan knows who he is and that’s it.

If talking about hobbies, Sehun is only passionate in dancing and he is taking dance classss every Tuesday and Wednesday while Luhan will go to his soccer club on Monday and Wednesday. Sehun will always wait for Luhan every Monday for the older boy to finish practicing and Luhan does the same for Sehun on every Tuesday. While on Wednesday, the one who finishes first will pick the other one and they will go to the bubble tea store for a cup to cool down. Sehun likes it that way and he doesn’t wish for a change.

Unfortunately for Sehun, he starts to notice something different. He notices that there is a new member in Luhan’s team, replacing Chihoon who is their former goalkeeper. Sehun notices that Luhan is getting a little closer with the shy new member. Sehun shrugs it off, thinking that Luhan is just nice and tries to make the boy feel more comfortable since he is the new kid. Luhan must have felt how it feels to be in a new place with new people surrounding you.

But Sehun cannot help himself from getting worried. Sehun doesn’t want to be a possessive friend or acting like a jealous boyfriend. Sehun is sure it’s just because he has never had a friend as close as he is with Luhan and he doesn’t want to lose Luhan to the chubby boy.

It is during a lunch break on a fine Tuesday when Sehun’s deep frown is noticed by the whole cafeteria. Luhan bringing the goalkeeper boy to their table is the reason behind Sehun’s not amused face.

“Hello, I-I’m Minseok, Kim Minseok,” the chubby boy introduces himself, stuttering a little. Sehun, not wanting to be rude, smiles a little to him. “Sehun,” he shortly says.

Luhan grins and claps his hands. “So, you have seen Minseok during my practice right? And wow he is actually from another class!” Luhan explains the fact that Sehun already knows.

 “Minseok-ah, from now on, you can join our table!”

Sehun doesn’t want to disappoint Luhan. Sehun wants to keep Luhan happy. Two years and a half of friendship makes Sehun see Luhan as a big brother. Sehun just needs to add more fake smiles when Minseok is there. He has to agree with Luhan inviting Minseok to join their table.

 

Sehun dislikes even more when he sees Luhan putting an arm around Minseok’s shoulder, talking about soccer, their favorite team and so on. Luhan completely ignores him and chooses to talk to the new friend instead. Sehun thinks they won’t even notice if he leaves the table quietly. Sehun admits he doesn’t like it.

Sehun slumps down on the floor as the music stops. He is glad that his dance instructor, Yixing, gives them ten minutes break. He cannot concentrate at all and he has been making mistakes. As one of the best dancers, the others give him concerned looks.

Jongin sits next to him. He is one of the best dancers too and is Sehun’s closest friend in the dance club. He also lives across Sehun’s house and that makes Jongin being Sehun’s second closest friend after Luhan. Unfortunately, Jongin doesn’t go to the same school as Sehun and Luhan.

“So, what’s up with that face?” Jongin asks and raises his eyebrow at the younger.

Sehun shrugs. “I don’t know. I was just distracted,” he mumbles quietly and sighs. He lies down on the floor, staring at the ceiling. He purses his lips and pouts slightly.

Jongin gives him a worried look. “You seem pretty heartbroken,”

Sehun rolls his eyes at him and snorts. “Thanks,” he replies sarcastically.

“Come on dude, tell me,” Jongin insists and shakes Sehun’s body, forcing him to share his problem. Jongin is actually a good friend. It’s just no one is as good as Luhan to Sehun.

“No it’s just Luhan has been ignoring me lately because he is too busy with that Minseok guy. No, no, I’m not a possessive friend okay. It’s just annoying,” Sehun finally opens his mouth to spill his problem to the tanned guy.

Jongin nods his head and puts his chin on his palms while lying flat on his stomach. “And then?”

“I don’t know, Jongin. I just don’t really like this guy okay,” he mutters.

Jongin rolls on the floor before crawling back to Sehun. “You sure you don’t like Luhan?”

Sehun turns to him, confused. “Of course I like him. He is my friend!”

Jongin shakes his head at his friend. “No, as in, crushing on him.”

Sehun widens his eyes in disbelief. “Of course not!” he quickly says. “Or... do I?” he mumbles to himself.

 

 

Ever since his small talk with Jongin, Sehun starts to see Luhan differently. When Luhan’s eyes spark, when he smiles at him and when their hands touch, Sehun starts to feel something weird going on his stomach. He won’t say he likes Luhan yet since he is truly afraid. Not because of being gay but he is afraid their friendship will change even more. He decides to shrug the weird thought away and tries to forget Jongin’s words.

But Jongin seems to like bring up the topic over and over again.

“You like him.”

Sehun shakes his head stubbornly and gulps his water. He places the bottle back on the floor once he finishes and wipes his lips. “No, no. Impossible,” he replies, still a little breathless after the dance practice.

Jongin rolls his eyes. “Now, now, I’m going to ask you some questions and you have to answer it honestly, okay?”

Sehun nods dumbly.

“Did you feel something weird, like butterflies on your stomach when you see him?” Jongin asks his first question and Sehun shyly nods. He doesn’t know what is happening to him and he thinks telling Jongin won’t be so bad since he seems to be like a love expert.

“How do you feel when you see Luhan and Minseok together?”

Sehun looks down. “I don’t like it,” he mutters, “A lot.”

“Have you ever felt that you want to hug him tight and never let others snatch him away? Like, so tight?” Jongin asks more and Sehun, once again, nods his head.

Jongin smiles smugly and crosses his arms. “You are definitely in love.”

 

 

Sehun eventually realizes that his dance partner is right. He is in love. Not with some boys but it’s that certain boy who is always glued with him for the past two years. Sehun is not really comfortable with his feelings towards Luhan and trying to act as nothing happens is pretty hard for Sehun.

“You okay?” Luhan asks, worried with his friend.

Sehun just nods blankly, not saying anything. He shoves his book to his locker a rather harshly and slams the door shut. Luhan frowns even more and pouts a little.

“Come on, Sehunnie, tell me!”

Now the word ‘Sehunnie’ feels different when it comes from Luhan’s mouth. Sehun shakes his head a little and gives him an assuring smile. “Hyung, let’s get some bubble tea after school. We haven’t got one ever since those freaking exams,” he invites, trying to distract the older from asking him about it.

Luhan then pouts, sending him an apologetic look. “I’m sorry, Sehunnie. I’m going with Minseok to get some coffee later. You can come with us-“

Luhan stops. He remembers Sehun doesn’t like coffee. At all.

“Oh right, you hate coffee. Well, we will get the bubble tea another time okay?” Luhan says with a smile as he tries to cheer the younger.

Sehun inhales deeply but tries not to make it too noticeable. He smiles a little, nodding his head. “Okay hyung, have fun.”

 

It’s okay, Sehun. They are just friends.

 

 

That night, Luhan comes over Sehun’s house to make it up. He even plans for a sleepover, which Sehun doesn’t complain about it. Sehun has cleaned his room right after Luhan texted him and even prepared some pizza and coke for their usual movie marathon.

Sehun excitedly runs to open the door when the doorbell rings. “You are finally here!”

Luhan laughs a little and walks into the house. “Have you been waiting?”

Sehun nods, even though Luhan cannot see it, he still does. Luhan scans the quiet room and raises his eyebrow. “Where are your parents?”

Sehun shrugs and drags him to his room. “Japan.”

Sehun’s parents are always busy with their ‘business trip’. Japan, US, Singapore, Australia, they spend more time there instead of home with Sehun. Oh Sehun is sure one lonely kid.

“What are we watching tonight?” Sehun asks as he sets himself on the bed. He then pats the spot next to him, telling him to sit immediately.

Luhan jumps to the bed and crosses his legs. “Frozen?”

Sehun laughs. Frozen is Luhan’s favorite Disney movie. He puts the DVD inside the player and waits for it to start the movie. He grins as he sees how excited Luhan looks. Luhan will also sing along whenever one of the characters sings. Luhan is beautiful, to Sehun.

“Ah, Anna is so cute,” Luhan comments.

Sehun nods and smiles a little as he replies, “Yeah but Elsa is gorgeous.”

Luhan doesn’t argue. “I know. Imagine me as Anna and Minseok as Kristoff!”

Sehun’s smile drops instantly. He coughs a little and sighs. “Minseok?” even it comes out as a whisper.

Luhan’s face flushes and Sehun doesn’t like it at all. Luhan has never blushed around him but why how could he blush when it comes to Minseok? Sehun really wishes Luhan didn’t ask for a sleepover.

“Y-Yeah, he is really cute, don’t you think?” Luhan softly answers with a dreamy smile. He cups his cheeks and shakes his head. It is a really cute sight but Sehun doesn’t care. It’s Minseok again.

“Yeah, so?” he coldly replies.

Luhan looks away. “I think I like him.”

 

It’s okay, Sehun. Luhan likes him. You just have to accept it.

 

 

Sehun approaches Luhan who is standing by his locker, texting someone and giggling to himself. Sehun gives him a look and taps Luhan’s shoulder. “Hyung,” he calls.

Luhan looks up from his phone. “Oh, it’s you, Sehunnie!”

Sehun points at Luhan’s phone. “Who are you texting?”

Luhan smiles and his cheeks turn pink in a second. “Minseok,” he replies and Sehun wishes he didn’t ask.

Sehun just nods dumbly. He then remembers the reason why he is going to his locker and asks, “Hyung, do you want to go for bubble tea?”

Sehun can see Luhan biting his lips. “I-I’m sorry Sehun-ah, you didn’t say earlier! Minseok asked me to go out for coffee,” he mumbles.

Sehun chuckles sadly. “Okay hyung, let’s just go tomorrow okay? I book you first!”

 

That doesn’t change anything. When Sehun asks him again, Luhan’s reason is Minseok is going to teach him in serving coffee. Minseok this, Minseok that. Coffee this, Coffee that. Sehun feels like he is being replaced.

It’s even worse when they bring up a topic about bubble tea.

“Oh, bubble tea? I don’t really drink bubble tea. I’m addicted to coffee,” Minseok replies Luhan’s question while Sehun is only staring at them.

Luhan surprisingly nods in agreement. “Yeah, I used to drink it a lot with this guy over here,” he says as he points at Sehun. “But then I think coffee is better!”

 

Coffee is better than bubble tea.

Of course, Kim Minseok is better than Oh Sehun in any ways to Luhan.

 

Sehun decides to forget all his feelings with Luhan and maybe distancing himself from the older is a good idea. He instead asks Jongin to accompany him to buy bubble tea and Jongin, actually agrees.

“Come on and let’s get your bubble tea, Hun,” Jongin says as he puts an arm around Sehun’s shoulder. It’s after their dance practice; Luhan says he cannot pick Sehun up since Minseok asks him to hang out with him. Sehun tries not to think much about it and drags Jongin to the shop.

“The usual, please,” Sehun orders then he turns to Jongin. Jongin mouths him to get him the same flavor. Chocolate, Sehun’s favorite.

Right after five minutes they get their bubble tea, Sehun has emptied the cup. Jongin looks at him, amazed. “Whoa, you are addicted or something?”

Sehun laughs lightly. “Nah, bubble tea tastes heavenly. That’s why,” he answers dreamily.

Jongin scoffs unattractively at his pale skinned friend. “You are exaggerating.”

Sehun shakes his head and shrugs. “I don’t think I am.”

Jongin rolls his eyes at Sehun and pulls him by the arm. “Let’s go, Hun.”

Sehun frowns at him. “Where are we going?”

Jongin shows him a toothy smile. “Off to the arcade!”

 

 

“So, I won again,” Jongin states the obvious fact that Sehun has lost for the seventeenth time of the day. The playing arcade to have fun plan turns to be a lot of battles and bets. Jongin says that if Sehun loses, he will have to buy him dinner at a fancy restaurant that is located not too far from the block they live. Sehun dumbly agrees because if Jongin lost, he would have to dress up like a girl, wearing cute dress and make-ups from his sister’s closet.

And Sehun loses. “I give up on life,” he mutters and finishes his coke. Sweats are dripping all over his body.

Jongin laughs at him and sits next to him. “Don’t be so grumpy, Hun. You are aging soon.

Sehun snorts at him. “Yeah, like you.”

Jongin punches his arm a slightly. He is about to drag Sehun home but his eyes catch Luhan and Minseok passing the table at the food court they have been sitting on for around twenty-five minutes now.

Jongin smirks to himself and puts his arm around Sehun’s waist. Sehun looks at him weirdly. He is going to ask Jongin what he is doing but the older calls Luhan. That surprises him and makes him gape a little.

“Kim Jongin! Yah I haven’t seen you around!”

Jongin fakes a laugh perfectly and grins. “I miss you hyung. Oh who is this, hmm?”

Minseok smiles shyly and bows a little. “Hello, I’m Kim Minseok.”

Jongin smiles at him. “Kim Jongin,” he replies shortly.

Luhan nods his head then turns to Sehun who still remains silent for the whole time. “What are you guys doing here?” Luhan asks curiously and pulls a chair for Minseok to sit first. The oldest one smiles and sits and Luhan does too afterwards, taking his seat the closest to Sehun.

“Well, Sehun and I are on a date,” Jongin says casually and Sehun glares at him immediately.

Luhan widens his eyes. “Sehun! You never told me you are dating him!”

“Hyung, please. I’m not dating this kid. We are just hanging out,” Sehun clears up and Luhan nods. Jongin pouts at him, cursing Sehun inside for ruining his plan.

Jongin then gets up from his seat, taking Sehun’s hand in his. “Come on, Sehun-ah, let’s go home, I’m tired,” he whines and Sehun rolls his eyes at him yet he agrees since he doesn’t want to see Luhan on a date with Minseok. That’s awfully painful.

“Okay,” he answers lowly. Jongin grins and hugs Sehun’s left arm, clinging to him. “We are going first, Luhan hyung. Nice to meet you, Minseok hyung.” With that, Jongin and Sehun leave a frowning Luhan and clueless Minseok.

 

 

Sehun sighs deeply as they make their way home. Jongin frowns at him. “Don’t be sad, Sehun-ah, it will be okay.”

 

Sehun thinks Jongin is really a great friend. Sehun wishes he could fall in love with him instead.